Reality 4.2 ~ Learn It ~ Chat With Paolo ~ WIPS ~ Renders Showcase!

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited February 2016
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Well, let's look at a couple specifically that I've noted. Glass- for Dispersion, the RUG (down to the point I read) didn't give specifics on Cauchy Coefficient or Clarity of Depth so far as working together. It's for Volumetric and Standard Glass. How does Cauchy work with Clarity? What is Cauchy? (Clarity of Depth is the light going in and the more volume, the more light gets absorbed.) I somehow missed Cauchy. (What a name!) 

I would say that the Glass material has a lot of great stuff without getting into the Cauchy part, which is related to the creation of caustics. If you want to learn about it, there is a rather good page at LuxRender: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Creating_Beautiful_Caustics

Cheers.

Excellent! 

I liked the tips in the RUG, such as turning glass to Architectural if it's a small pane or distant- so am I correct it's faster than both Volumetric and Frosted?

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Okay for instance I noticed there is no preset for wood.  so if I wanted to put a wood texture on something how would I go about doing that? I understand how to change the materials itself to glass, skin. metal etc. but nothing for wood or stone so not sure how I would change those.   But also how does one change the actual texture i.e if i have a flowered material i want to put on a dress.  I understand how to change the color but not how to do a fabric per se and a color. (that was two questions at once sorry lol).  I just figured out what the presets were so never mind on that one.

I read in RUG about Shader Bundles (shared presets) Is there any sites where people are sharing their presets as downloadables? I think I read these were able to be shared via email, so am assuming they could also be downloaded?

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    Novica said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Excellent! 

I liked the tips in the RUG, such as turning glass to Architectural if it's a small pane or distant- so am I correct it's faster than both Volumetric and Frosted?

Much faster! Volumetric alcutally calculates the amount of light that is absorbed by the thickness of the glass. It gives very accurate results but it's very computation-heavy. Frosted, currently, works only in un-accelerated mode and is quite slow. But it gives exceptional results.

Regarding Volume- if I have a scene in D.S, are the volumes for each object's materials automatically created, with both interior and exterior volume? (interior defines how light moves within the object, exterior is how light moves through space between the object it just left and the next one it encounters. It is usually the same for all objects in a scene.)

I also purchased skies of reality volume 1.  Is that in fact meant for this program and if it is, how is it applied? 

And I have to add that I have been very very impressed with the skin in Reality.  It seems to render beautifully with a minimum of fuss.  And I LOVE the fact that I can do other stuff while its chugging away on a render.

Okay for instance I noticed there is no preset for wood.  so if I wanted to put a wood texture on something how would I go about doing that? I understand how to change the materials itself to glass, skin. metal etc. but nothing for wood or stone so not sure how I would change those.   But also how does one change the actual texture i.e if i have a flowered material i want to put on a dress.  I understand how to change the color but not how to do a fabric per se and a color. (that was two questions at once sorry lol).  I just figured out what the presets were so never mind on that one.

There is no specific material for Wood so we have to look at what fits best. Are we talking about natural cut wood or laquered wood? Assuming that it's natural wood we could use Glossy with a very low glossiness, like 3000. We would then need to create a wood pattern. If we have an image map then all that we need to do is to create an texture of type Image Map for the Diffuse channel and then plug in the wood pattern. I would suggest that approach.

About the dress, I'm not sure what is the question there. You can use the Cloth material and then add the image map to the Weft/Warp section. In my class tomorrow I will show how to create a Silk material for a dress.

Novica said:

I read in RUG about Shader Bundles (shared presets) Is there any sites where people are sharing their presets as downloadables? I think I read these were able to be shared via email, so am assuming they could also be downloaded?

Not yet, I have been planning to do that but I've been swamped with other things. Any volunteers? :)

And I have to add that I have been very very impressed with the skin in Reality.  It seems to render beautifully with a minimum of fuss.  And I LOVE the fact that I can do other stuff while its chugging away on a render.

Thank you. The skin has a feature that I call "0-click SSS,"  bacause it just happens automatically without you having to do anything :)

I'm glad that you like it.

I also purchased skies of reality volume 1.  Is that in fact meant for this program and if it is, how is it applied? 

Actually that product was made for Reality 2 and does not work with the latest release. But you can get wonderful IBL environments for free at hdrlabs.com.

pciccone said:
    Novica said:

Not yet, I have been planning to do that but I've been swamped with other things. Any volunteers? :)

It'd have to be someone who knew what they were doing, talk to me in a few years LOL!

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

I would help! Though not sure where to start. :D

Liana said:
    pciccone said:
    Novica said:

I would help! Though not sure where to start. :D

If you know about web site technologies we can talk..

I have a question about Mirrors. How do the thin film and IOR affect each other? I did some searching on IOR and understand that (Index of Refraction, light bending/distortion) so the question is, what does the Thin Film Thickness do- if that is changed, should the IOR be changed too? Do they impact each other?

For water, the default for Classic has IOR 1.33, Clarity At Depth is 0.10   Any suggestions for how these two work together? The Clarity At Depth if I summarize this right- is how much the light is absorbed as it penetrates the volume of the object? A higher number means more absorption and the object gets darker? 

Even if I don't have that right-  if you increase or decrease the Clarity, should the IOR be changed or are these two independent of each other? 

Novica said:

I have a question about Mirrors. How do the thin film and IOR affect each other? I did some searching on IOR and understand that (Index of Refraction, light bending/distortion) so the question is, what does the Thin Film Thickness do- if that is changed, should the IOR be changed too? Do they impact each other?

The Thin Film is like a film that is applied to the surface of the mirror. This is a process that happens in real life and it can lead to iridescent hues on the surface of the mirror. The higher the thickness to more pronounced the effect is. The IOR will determine the hue of the color. Some IOR will give you a greenish hue, other values might shift it toward magenta.

pciccone said:

If you know about web site technologies we can talk..

Afraid I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

Novica said:

For water, the default for Classic has IOR 1.33, Clarity At Depth is 0.10   Any suggestions for how these two work together? The Clarity At Depth if I summarize this right- is how much the light is absorbed as it penetrates the volume of the object? A higher number means more absorption and the object gets darker? 

A higher number means that you will be able to see more in depth in the water. 

Novica said:

Even if I don't have that right-  if you increase or decrease the Clarity, should the IOR be changed or are these two independent of each other? 

They are completely independent. Of course higher values of IOR will lead to stronger distortion of the objects under water.

Ice Dragon Art, were there any other material questions you had? Don't want to monopolize Paolo.

Sorry to day this, but, I do have a webinar tomorrow and I need to work on some of the latest details. It's about 9:45 here in the East Coast and so I better say "goodbye" at this point, or I will not be able to finish my work.

I want to thank eveyrbody who asked questions and all the people who have been "lurking" today for your interest in Reality. I hope that this was useful. I'm always available to answer your questions so just post in this thread and I will do my best to help.

A special thank goes to Novica for organizing this event. I really appreciated it.

Good night to everyone, happy rendering.

Ah so the jpeg texture pattern for the dress or fabric would go in the warp weft slot.  That makes perfect sense.  The wood grain or stone pattern goes into the diffuse channel.  So where does one put the ibl Environment?  I promise, I am not stupid lol!   And I am really hoping I can make it to that class it sounds fantastic.  Maybe I can send my husband off on some errands.....

Night Paolo.. thanks so much for all the information. :) Good luck tomorrow.

One thing I read in RUG which is cool- instead of adding lights, add planes which reflect the lights. Any other tips you can think of, regarding lighting Paolo? 

One other thing in case it's been awhile since someone read the RUG, if you convert a material to glass, make sure opacity is set to 1.0 and remove the Alpha map (using the unlink option) or it will be too transparent to be seen. 

BTW, I almost forgot. I released a free Genesis 3 Male Automatic Preset for Reality, if you don't have it make sure to download it from my site. It's in the Product menu.It makes using G3M a snap.

Cheers.

Sure thing! Ignore my last question. Appreciate you popping in and spending so much time with us. Anyone else who has questions can always post them and perhaps they can be answered next week. Good luck with the webinar, and thanks again!

Cathie

No problem I am good for now plenty to digest and work on.

And thank you for popping in and chatting with us, most helpful!

Ah so the jpeg texture pattern for the dress or fabric would go in the warp weft slot.  That makes perfect sense.  The wood grain or stone pattern goes into the diffuse channel.  So where does one put the ibl Environment? 

That goes in the Light Editor. IBL stands for Image Base Lighting, and IBL map is used for lighting so it has no place in the material section. See the RUG for more details about Lighting and IBL but you will click on the Lights tab and select the IBL light, which is always present.

Liana said:

Night Paolo.. thanks so much for all the information. :) Good luck tomorrow.

Thank you very much.