Reality 4.2 ~ Learn It ~ Chat With Paolo ~ WIPS ~ Renders Showcase!

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    pciccone said:

Ah so the jpeg texture pattern for the dress or fabric would go in the warp weft slot.  That makes perfect sense.  The wood grain or stone pattern goes into the diffuse channel.  So where does one put the ibl Environment? 

That goes in the Light Editor. IBL stands for Image Base Lighting, and IBL map is used for lighting so it has no place in the material section. See the RUG for more details about Lighting and IBL but you will click on the Lights tab and select the IBL light, which is always present.

Perfect.  No idea why this would not stick in my head.  Too much Iray I think.  This is much easier.  Thanks again!

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661
    Novica said:

Sure thing! Ignore my last question. Appreciate you popping in and spending so much time with us. Anyone else who has questions can always post them and perhaps they can be answered next week. Good luck with the webinar, and thanks again!

Cathie

Thank you very much Cathie. Again, I really appreciated this, we can do it again.

• Ok I know I missed Paolo but the question I did have relates to memory.  I have read that iray is limited to the memory on the card but does that apply to lux in any way?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Hi greymouser69- Paolo will probably check the thread sometime after tomorrow, but others who know the technical aspects may hopefully answer that for you too. Thanks for stoppin' in and any other questions, we'll get the answers for you! 

I wanted to learn a bit more about CPU and GPU, this might also help some other folks. It's on Paolo's site.

• Thank you Paolo and Novica for this thread!

You're very welcome. He probably has typing cramps in his hand!

• Thank you Novica and Paolo for doing this!  Hopefully it is the first of many such.

Ok I know I missed Paolo but the question I did have relates to memory.  I have read that iray is limited to the memory on the card but does that apply to lux in any way?

RAM is always a limitation.If you use the GPU fo rendering then you have very little RAM availablem generally. There are cars with more than 4GB but they are quite expensive today and there are technical limitations in accessing all that RAM for textures. There are several techniques that are under development for making thatless of an issue but the situation today is pretty much that.

On the other hand the CPU has no limitations. If you have a 64-bit OS and loads of RAM then LuxRender will access it all, without limits, That makes rendering complex scenes easy. But we are talking about two different techniques here: GPU vs CPU rendering. Now, it is generaly true that LuxRender will access more GPU RAM than other renderers, but there is a limit to that too. CPU rendering is more flexible and leads to more consistent results. That is a general truth, not just for LuxRender.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you Novica and Paolo for doing this. 

My pleasure, Ferretmania.

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883
    edited February 2016

I did this for the PC contest on the 17th using Aslan Court 1 Iray addon..all other materials etc was Iray too .Just playing around with the lights until I got something I liked. I used a sibl background to get an overall lightning. a meshlight from the front left, same height and distant as the camera. All lightbulbs in the chandelier hanging from the ceiling turned to meshlight , same for the wall lights. I also added a meshlight aiming straight down from the top, right above the chandelier and then I just played with the lights. I also turned up the glossiness of the floor to 10000 

Post edited by Ferretmania on

Ferretmania, you are waaaaay ahead of me on using lights! And I really like what you did with the floor, it's got a beautiful shine. Can I give you a composite tip? Watch your background vertical lines when your main character has a leg going vertically. See the character on our right, the upraised leg? It's really close to the vertical border of the panel on the wall. I can see where this one would be tricky, as the panel itself has a complicated pattern and you don't want the leg to get lost in that, so putting it in front of a solid wall section was a good move. Perhaps rotate around a teeny bit more to get it away from that panel border. I noticed  you took the time to ensure the left character's leg didn't intersect the busy panel either. Good move!

A bit of DOF (depth of field) would help soften the vertical lines of the panel next to the leg. Do you know how to do that? 

• Thank you! I was trying to get close to the glossiness from the promos , at least on the floor. I have found out that I love playing with lights and it's so easy in Reality . If you don't like the lights you turn them of and no re-rendering if you change the strength or the color.  I have a tendency to sort of throw myself over new stuff and just try them, instead of taking it slow and step by step. I usually read manuals, watch videos and such , then forget most of what I read/see , then when I run in to a problem I usually remember(sort of) where I read/saw it so I can go look it up. I used to have a extremely good memory, but being in more or less pain 24/7 ruined that ,so I had to adjust lol

Feel free to give me tips anytime. Yeah those panels were giving me a hard time and no matter how I rotated it, it was like something was in the way. 

AHa yeah DOF. Didn't occure to me to use it, haven't played much with it yet , so any tips would be greately appreciatedlaugh

To do a quick tutorial, for DOF you turn it on in the Camera (let's use Default) in Parameters. Keeping it selected in Scene, go to Perspective view out in the viewport, and head to the TOP view. That way you'll see the brackets/transparent planes to put your figure between. By making changes in Parameters with the Focal Length, Distance, etc, you'll see the brackets move. Whatever is between those brackets will be in focus. For Focal Length, remember that 90-125 is best for closeup portraits so you don't have distortions. It's fun to have some of the foreground AND background out of focus. (like this one.) 

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 493
    edited February 2016

Sorry I missed this topic, and the web class today.  I got home aroud 3:20 and the class was full.  But I Love reality.  I started at the end of 1.25, it was a deal of buying that and getting Reality 2 for free when i came out. I have used it since!! I like Iray because it handles non-organic things great, but Reality is still my favorite. Now if we can get a preview of it like Iray does in the viewport, awesome. Here are some renders i did some time ago, just feel like sharing. I am no expert, but i try.

Friends_ by Decoyboy.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 1M
    My own World_by Decoyboy.jpg
    1525 x 1393 - 198K
    Post edited by Decoyboy on
  • I need to learn how to match up settings between iray and lux, see below, iray was a download of a studio light setup and lux/reality was the basic reality setup...

Iray render:

Lux/reality

• Novica said:

To do a quick tutorial, for DOF you turn it on in the Camera (let's use Default) in Parameters. Keeping it selected in Scene, go to Perspective view out in the viewport, and head to the TOP view. That way you'll see the brackets/transparent planes to put your figure between. By making changes in Parameters with the Focal Length, Distance, etc, you'll see the brackets move. Whatever is between those brackets will be in focus. For Focal Length, remember that 90-125 is best for closeup portraits so you don't have distortions. It's fun to have some of the foreground AND background out of focus. (like this one.) 

Awesome thank you. I never would have thought of using the top view.

One more thing about the DOF, it depends on the DOF aperture (f-stop) set in Reality. An f-stop of 8 or 11 will give you no noticeable effect. To get part of the image blurry, you will need to open the lens more, and that means f4 or f2.8, or even f2. This is, of course, what happens in nature. Lastly, the focal length will play a role too. A long lens, between 80 and 300mm, will be blurrier than a wide lens, for example 20-40mm.

Cheers.

Greymouse, I would suggest to not work in that way, iRay and Reality don't work similarly. It's more productive and fun to set a goal, image wise, and learn how to get there with Reality. In your images I see that the first one had a light on camera right, see the shadow of the subject, while your Reality version had the light in front of the subject.

Cheers. 

edited February 2016
    pciccone said:

Greymouse, I would suggest to not work in that way, iRay and Reality don't work similarly. It's more productive and fun to set a goal, image wise, and learn how to get there with Reality. In your images I see that the first one had a light on camera right, see the shadow of the subject, while your Reality version had the light in front of the subject.

Cheers. 

I think what greymouser69 was saying is they want the Reality render to do the same thing as their spotlight setup in studio, and they wanted to match that up with Reality lighting. Is that right?  

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

I think what greymouser69 was saying is they want the Reality render to do the same thing as their spotlight setup in studio, and they wanted to match that up with Reality lighting. Is that right?  

Novica, yes you are correct.  I just want to be able to have similar lighting in lux/reality as in iray for comparison.

Thank you for explaining. I don't do iRay so I'm not that familiar with its lighting but I will definitely help with any lighting question.

I just wanted to thank everybody who asked questions during our "live" session, and let everybody know that I will be monitoring this thread for more entries. 

If you have been lurking and have questions to ask, please go ahead. There are no "dumb" questions, and I love to hear the point of view of new users. They teach me so much. Your point of view is very valuable. Go ahead ask whatever question you want to ask and I will do my best to reply. 

If you are an "old pro" (we don't mean your age :)) and have complex questions, please post them here as well. I will do my best to answer those too.

Cheers,

Novica said:

Novica, yes you are correct.  I just want to be able to have similar lighting in lux/reality as in iray for comparison.

Here's my suggestion- do your lights in Iray (let's say you are using those spotlights) and write down the XYZ translation AND XYZ rotation coordinates (In Parameters, for each light.) Then in Reality, do a mesh light (not the curved one) and manually put those in the exact same place. If you click on the text box you can type in the numbers, it's much faster. (I'm doing this in really simple terms, not talking down to you, but there may be some brand new users to Studio so I baby-step people.) 

You may want to also jot down in Render Settings in Tone Mapping, your settings for ISO, shutter speed, etc so you can input those and see if you get similar results by switching to Linear in Reality. That's where the Tone Mapping section is.  If your Tone Mapping section isn't set up approximately the same as in Studio, putting the lights in the same place won't really give you an accurate comparison IMO. (And I'm new to this, but just using logic.) 

That's a good suggestion Novica. 

Another approach that I would suggest is to look at the lights in a scene and then work at recreating that setup in Reality by eye. I strongly believe that the artistic eye is superior to the technical approach, in this case. The advantage of this system is that it makes you work with the Reality lights and therefore you gain a level of experience and confidence that you would not get otherwise. For example, the size of a light determines the quality of the light. A large mesh light is soft, a small messh light is harsh. Softeness and harshness of light has nothing to do with the intensity or the distance of the light from the subject. It has everything to do with the size in relation with the subject.

Obviously a light that is close the the subject will be larger in relation with the subject, and so it coul dbe argued that that light would generate softer light. That is true... to a degree. You can go just so far with that approach. It's much simpler to use the Scale property and size the light as you prefer.

Use your eyes and you will develop your control faster.

Cheers.

• FilthyAppetiteFilthyAppetite Posts: 149
    edited March 2016

Just Purchased this, and having maybe some issues I hope can be worked out.

Main System Running Daz. Intel 4790k w/32gb Ram 970GTX, SSD's .. 

In Scene Configuration, I have only gtx970 listed in OpenCL rendering. So I dont know why I am not being allowed to setup CPU/GPU rendering.

Also, I'm reading how to setup a network render, and the directions are not specific enough for me.. sorry.

I need to know a few things. Does Daz need to be loaded on the render node, with Reality installed into Daz? .. I'm asking because I dont see a standalone, as the documents say, file to run.

Post edited by FilthyAppetite on
  • Opps, I found the luxconsole, so I guess for network renders need (for windows) Daz 64bit/Reality64bit installed to work as node..so next question, does all content need to be on node that is being rendered from main machine? Content, ie.. props, materials, etc.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I;ve got to get my notebook and start taking notes.... Thank you so much for doing this

Just Purchased this, and having maybe some issues I hope can be worked out.

Main System Running Daz. Intel 4790k w/32gb Ram 970GTX, SSD's .. 

In Scene Configuration, I have only gtx970 listed in OpenCL rendering. So I dont know why I am not being allowed to setup CPU/GPU rendering.

What is the issue?

Also, I'm reading how to setup a network render, and the directions are not specific enough for me.. sorry.

I need to know a few things. Does Daz need to be loaded on the render node, with Reality installed into Daz? .. I'm asking because I dont see a standalone, as the documents say, file to run.

No need to have Studio, only LuxRender. You will need to lauch luxconsole with the "-s" parameters. See the RUG for more details.

Cheers.