Reality 4.2 ~ Learn It ~ Chat With Paolo ~ WIPS ~ Renders Showcase!

Comments

• pcicconepciccone Posts: 661

I'd like to first thank Novica for starting this. I'm flattered by your interest and enthusiasm. It's great to see that Reality is helping people achieve their vision. I also want to thnk everybody who is reading these pages.

First I would like to thak Novica for startig this chat session. I'm flattered that you are liking Reality and I'm glad that it's helping you with your work. 

I also want to thank all the people attending thisa session for their interest.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thank you for popping in! 

What I meant about putting the lights in a specific order, in LuxRender (L.R.) in the Lights section, is there a way to have IBL at the top and then the mesh lights shown next- does it appear in the order that they are loaded into the Studio?

Posted twice :) I could not see my previous post and it cannot be deleted :)

There is no specific order. I think that the order dependsa on the position of thre light in the scene declaration. In other words, where Reality declares them. The order does not matter, anyway :)

edited February 2016

While you're typing that, I'll get to another question. The RUG (Reality User Guide) does mention lighting, and eye reflection. If I want to avoid having too much of the mesh light or even other types of lighting in the eyes, I know it depends on the camera angle, but are there any suggestions (perhaps measured by handle length on the mesh lights?) as to how far away to put a mesh light/ lights to minimize the glare in the eyes? 

Second, is there a reason why the curved mesh light doesn't have a couple handles? That might be handy when trying to use mesh lights and other curved lights together, and keep them equi-distant.

Post edited by Novica on

If you want to reduce the reflection in a glass surface you can do two things:

- Reduce the IOR (Index of refraction). An IOR 1.5 will give you a stronger reflection than 1.1
    - Reduce the brightness of the Reflection color

The curved meshlight does not have handles because... darn it! I never thought of it!

:)

For new users- there's Tone Mapping in Reality and when using Iray, Tone Mapping in Daz Studio. When using IBL in Reality, the Reality Tone Mapping overrides anything used in that section in Render Settings in D.Studio, correct? Does it override all of the Render Settings? (The Environment Map is replaced by the IBL in Reality, for example?)

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Hello Paolo & Novica :)

pciccone said:

The curved meshlight does not have handles because... darn it! I never thought of it!

:)

LOL, well, next version I'm going to be looking for those

Liana said:

Hello Paolo & Novica :)

Hi Liana, hop in with questions. I can only type so fast to keep this dude busy!!!

I take the opportunity to let everybody know that we have a BTS (Bug Trackign System) that can be used by anybody to suggest features for future versions of Reality: 

http://preta3d.com/wiki/doku.php?id=how_can_i_report_a_bug_or_suggest_a_new_feature

Thanks

One surprise I got, was having a character show up that I had "winked out." (Paolo's new favorite term lol. Meaning, the eye was closed so it wouldn't show in the render in D.Studio) Imagine my surprise when the dear gal showed up in the L.R. render! Why does that happen, and I assume I have to remove any winked out items- including props? Or does it just happen with people?

Novica said:

For new users- there's Tone Mapping in Reality and when using Iray, Tone Mapping in Daz Studio. When using IBL in Reality, the Reality Tone Mapping overrides anything used in that section in Render Settings in D.Studio, correct? Does it override all of the Render Settings? (The Environment Map is replaced by the IBL in Reality, for example?)

Not quite. The issue here is that those options don't apply and so they are not read. It's not that Reality overrrides them, it's just that there is no relationshop between the renderer in Studio and Reality. It's a parallel system :)

Hello Liana.

pciccone said:

I take the opportunity to let everybody know that we have a BTS (Bug Trackign System) that can be used by anybody to suggest features for future versions of Reality: 

http://preta3d.com/wiki/doku.php?id=how_can_i_report_a_bug_or_suggest_a_new_feature

Thanks

Hmmmm...any suggestions that you have already decided to consider? A hint or two....

Novica said:

One surprise I got, was having a character show up that I had "winked out." (Paolo's new favorite term lol. Meaning, the eye was closed so it wouldn't show in the render in D.Studio) Imagine my surprise when the dear gal showed up in the L.R. render! Why does that happen, and I assume I have to remove any winked out items- including props? Or does it just happen with people?

Generally root-level objects in the scene are not rendered. If they do you can simply mark all the materials as Hidden, no need to remove the object from the scene. What is not connected is to hide a bone from a figure. The hiding only works at the figure level.

In Texture Editor, which opens after Image Map in Diffuse Channel, in Texture Class, what does Fresnel do? The default (in my notes) says Grayscale, so if I change from that to Fresnel, what exactly am I doing? 

Novica said:
    pciccone said:

Hmmmm...any suggestions that you have already decided to consider? A hint or two....

There's plenty of stuff there. Best option is to sign up for the BTS and then do a search for "Feature"

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

I started the other reality thread to learn more about it. I learned a whole lot of others things too because of it. I am really knew to all this rendering engines, setting up lighting, and all the surface shaders add-ons I keep seeing.  I am upgrading my pc atm and was looking at graphics card I know Iray needs an Nvidia card, which oddly enough I have always gotten, but lower end ones. What would be the requirements for Reality and luxrender. I seen the q & a about GPU rendering being new.

Liana said:

I started the other reality thread to learn more about it. I learned a whole lot of others things too because of it. I am really knew to all this rendering engines, setting up lighting, and all the surface shaders add-ons I keep seeing.  I am upgrading my pc atm and was looking at graphics card I know Iray needs an Nvidia card, which oddly enough I have always gotten, but lower end ones. What would be the requirements for Reality and luxrender. I seen the q & a about GPU rendering being new.

Since Reality and Lux work with OpenCL you have the option to use a GPU from any manufacturer, as long as they provide the OpenCL driver. You are not tied to nVidia, you can use AMD cards as well, and even mix nVidia and AMD card in the same system. The rest is based on your budget.

• Can you explain the difference between Auto Linear and Linear and since Linear is the one that most people use why isn't the default when calling L.R.?

• Paolo,

If I have completed a scene and have made changes to my main character---specifically to materials settings--in the process and like those changes, is there.a way to save the character with its new Reality setting for the materials while eliminating all of the other objects?

edited February 2016

AMEN to that lol. Love linear, Tone Mapping is a must! (Edit- I can see you and I will BOTH be using the suggestion link!) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Oh he gets plenty of suggestions from me .. haha  

Here's what's confused me from the get-go. I know L.R. is a separate renderer, but I can't wrap my head around setting things up in the studio, starting Reality, changing things and re-rendering, or doing more than one render at at time. Let's go back to the start. Here's the first question.

I set up a scene in D.S (Daz Studio.) 

I call up Reality (for people who haven't gotten Reality, you install it, then it's right there in the Render option. Easy!) Okay, I fiddle with materials or whatever I want to do.  Then I click Render Frame IN REALITY and L.R. (LuxRender) opens in a new window.  NOW... if I want to tweak things, my options include pausing or stopping the render. IF I change something in the studio, I need to completely stop the render, correct? Go to the studio, tweak, and go back to Reality?

Can you explain the difference between Auto Linear and Linear and since Linear is the one that most people use why isn't the default when calling L.R.?

Hi Kim.

Excellent question.

Think of AutoLinear as your point-and-shoot camera or camera phone. Simple but without control. The software decides what is the "right" exposure, based on an average of the brightness (luminance) in the scene. Machine-based, brute-force approach with no artistic consideration.

Linear, on the other side, is the photographer's choice. It's fully manual, all under your control. You decide what is the right exposure for your scene. Like any artistic choice, it can be good or not. You are in control. In general you don't want to over-expose your image so that highights will be blown out. On the other side you don't want to under-expose the image so that it will become murky. But maybe, maybe, you do want murky for that scene. Maybe that's exactly what it needs. With Linear mode you are in control.

Linear is an amazing tool that is not available in many renderers and it works at runtime in LuxRender. Coupled with the film emulation, it's a fantastic creative tool.

Second question- I have a render going that is fine. (In L.R.) Do I go back to the studio and click Reality again to open a second window of it?  (Because when I hit Render Frame, I am assuming a second render will start?)

Paolo,

If I have completed a scene and have made changes to my main character---specifically to materials settings--in the process and like those changes, is there.a way to save the character with its new Reality setting for the materials while eliminating all of the other objects?

Yes, you can save the materials as an Automatic Preset. Once you do that the preset will be loaded automatically the next time you add that character/skin combination to your scene.

• Amethyst25Amethyst25 Posts: 44
    edited February 2016

oops  

Post edited by Amethyst25 on