The I Wanted Mousse But Got A Moose Instead Complaint Thread.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited June 2016

...well things about to finally cool down 89° at the airport. 99° in the hood today. Tomorrow looks to be in the mid 70s which is about right for this time of year, however, rain and even lower temps are in store fro the next couple days after that. Guess the Rose Festival can't get away totally without some wet stuff which includes rain on the day of the Grand Floral Parade (the only other parade in the nation where floats must be totally decorated with flowers, the other being the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited June 2016
    kyoto kid said:

I went shopping at bath and body works because they had a great sale and I needed body wash. I went for body wash and a gift for a friend's birthday but got two body washes, a shower pouf, three air freshener refills, some hand sanitizer, a hand sanitizer holder and a body lotion for my friend all for a good price.   I got the body wash for a little over three each so I thought everything was a good deal.

...as I understand sanitisers are bad as they make your system more sensitive to germs.

Yes, we should eat more dirt.

Obsessive cleanliness is like all other addictions, it's true that there is too much of a good thing.

Mothers who keep their kids in a clean bubble and excessive antibiotics are condeming them to a life of misery and inflicting evolution on the germs.

It's interesting that in only 100 years the germs have found a way to defeat all our antibiotics and are passing it among themselves.  Who says you need a brain to survive?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,730
    kyoto kid said:

I went shopping at bath and body works because they had a great sale and I needed body wash. I went for body wash and a gift for a friend's birthday but got two body washes, a shower pouf, three air freshener refills, some hand sanitizer, a hand sanitizer holder and a body lotion for my friend all for a good price.   I got the body wash for a little over three each so I thought everything was a good deal.

...as I understand sanitisers are bad as they make your system more sensitive to germs.

What makes it different from washing ones hand with soap too much?  I do have OCD so sometimes I get into my head my hands are dirtier than they may actually are.  I would wash my hands with soap and water so many times until I feel like they are clean

kyoto kid said:

Obsessive cleanliness is like all other addictions, it's true that there is too much of a good thing.

Mothers who keep their kids in a clean bubble and excessive antibiotics are condeming them to a life of misery and inflicting evolution on the germs.

It's interesting that in only 100 years the germs have found a way to defeat all our antibiotics and are passing it among themselves.  Who says you need a brain to survive?

I would eat dirt, but then I would be afraid that if anyone saw me eat dirt they would send me to the mental hospital asap.

I want my fish to make my bed but they say it is my job and also clean their tanks when I have a chance.  My betta Edward really wants his tank cleaned tonight (or I think he does as his tank is starting to get dirty)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,022
    kyoto kid said:

...stopped off at a fiends place after ourt game session tonight.  Frank strawberry Margaritas (with real strawberries in the blender) and good quality whiskey.  A little drunkapated tonight.

Leela kicked butt again, taking two of the bad guys out in one firefight while all the other characters, including the spell slingers, kept flubbing up. So of course, they saw her as a the real threat and shot at her including tossing an HE grenade her way (fortunately she survived).

Last week she disarmed a really nasty bomb that was designed to spread a bad military grade neurotoxin in a stadium saving the day (if you can set up demolitions you can also disarm them). We finished that mission in record (real) time, 1hr 45 min.

Very brave of you to get drunk at a fiend's place. No telling what could have happened if you had passed out.

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

...stopped off at a fiends place after ourt game session tonight.  Frank strawberry Margaritas (with real strawberries in the blender) and good quality whiskey.  A little drunkapated tonight.

Leela kicked butt again, taking two of the bad guys out in one firefight while all the other characters, including the spell slingers, kept flubbing up. So of course, they saw her as a the real threat and shot at her including tossing an HE grenade her way (fortunately she survived).

Last week she disarmed a really nasty bomb that was designed to spread a bad military grade neurotoxin in a stadium saving the day (if you can set up demolitions you can also disarm them). We finished that mission in record (real) time, 1hr 45 min.

Very brave of you to get drunk at a fiend's place. No telling what could have happened if you had passed out.

That is why I do not get drunk including at a friend's place.  Sometimes I thought people were my friends but they were not wanting my best intrest.

edited June 2016
    kyoto kid said:

What makes it different from washing ones hand with soap too much?  I do have OCD so sometimes I get into my head my hands are dirtier than they may actually are.  I would wash my hands with soap and water so many times until I feel like they are clean

kyoto kid said:

I would eat dirt, but then I would be afraid that if anyone saw me eat dirt they would send me to the mental hospital asap.

Washing once with a quality soap is enough for practical cleanliness.smiley  Washing once with sanitizers or antibiotic soap kills enough germscool.  Washing excessively with soap removes germs but also removes essential oils from the skin. sad If you feel your skin doesn't feel clean it's probably the oils that you feel and are objecting to.  You may be going for that squeaky clean feeling, which is not good.  If you clean once with soap that's probably sufficient and leaves some oil, cleaning twice removes more oil, cleaning three times or more is excessive unless you're a surgeon.  If you insist on stripping the oil from your skin you should replace it with a quality handcream to restore them.  But that's like letting the air out of your tires so you have to put more in.  Not efficient.

Also a note about washing in soft water.  If your home has a water softener, you may be confusing the feel of the soft water with unclean.  I grew up with hard well water with lots of minerals in it.  Soft water feels funny to me and I keep thinking my hands are too slippery.  Accept it, your hands are clean.  Just dry them and then let them air for a couple minutes and the feeling goes away.

A note about antibiotic soap.  Think where it goes after it goes down the drain.enlightened  We're filling our septic tanks and sewers with antibiotics.  That's like killing the goose that lays the golden egg.  And the surviving germs may evolve into monsters. surprise

Many alcohol based sanitizers now also include some sort of hand oils.  But still, washing your hands in alcohol is very drying for the skin.  I've found that when I use alcohol based sanitizers, even the good ones with lotion in them, I still have to use my hand lotion to keep my cuticles from cracking around my fingernails. 

Feeling clean is what you get used to.  Four hundred years ago Europeans took a bath once a year whether they needed it or not, and wore clothes that sealed at the neck to keep the smell in, and the rich ones used perfume to hide that fact. frown

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

we up to page 93.  took a while,eh.

The Unflateable Pony Complaint Thread
    The Cubicual Cube
     Complaint Thead
    The Footy Football Complaint Thead
    The Indubitable Indefatigueable Complaint Thead
    The Notifiable Broken Bots Complaint Thead

The SNAFU plot in the works Complaint Thread
    The Jobseekers Complaint Thread
    The Dessert Island Complaint Thread

The Hippontanous Complaint Thead

kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

Washing once with a quality soap is enough for practical cleanliness.smiley  Washing once with sanitizers or antibiotic soap kills enough germscool.  Washing excessively with soap removes germs but also removes essential oils from the skin. sad If you feel your skin doesn't feel clean it's probably the oils that you feel and are objecting to.  You may be going for that squeaky clean feeling, which is not good.  If you clean once with soap that's probably sufficient and leaves some oil, cleaning twice removes more oil, cleaning three times or more is excessive unless you're a surgeon.  If you insist on stripping the oil from your skin you should replace it with a quality handcream to restore them.  But that's like letting the air out of your tires so you have to put more in.  Not efficient.

Also a note about washing in soft water.  If your home has a water softener, you may be confusing the feel of the soft water with unclean.  I grew up with hard well water with lots of minerals in it.  Soft water feels funny to me and I keep thinking my hands are too slippery.  Accept it, your hands are clean.  Just dry them and then let them air for a couple minutes and the feeling goes away.

A note about antibiotic soap.  Think where it goes after it goes down the drain.enlightened  We're filling our septic tanks and sewers with antibiotics.  That's like killing the goose that lays the golden egg.  And the surviving germs may evolve into monsters. surprise

Many alcohol based sanitizers now also include some sort of hand oils.  But still, washing your hands in alcohol is very drying for the skin.  I've found that when I use alcohol based sanitizers, even the good ones with lotion in them, I still have to use my hand lotion to keep my cuticles from cracking around my fingernails. 

Feeling clean is what you get used to.  Four hundred years ago Europeans took a bath once a year whether they needed it or not, and wore clothes that sealed at the neck to keep the smell in, and the rich ones used perfume to hide that fact. frown

A louse's paradise. ... lice's ? lices' ?

MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

A louse's paradise. ... lice's ? lices' ?

lices (if pronounced leeses) are what rental agents deal with.

I hate leeses to pieces.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,392

Well I spent all day (and most of the night) yesterday coughing up a storm, my cold apparently wanting one last kick at me before it went under. So instead of getting better the next day I spent the next day feeling more miserable than ever, made worse by the fact I got only an hour or so of sleep in those 24 hours.  I'm already an insomniac, but having to stop to blow my nose every few minutes and/or coughing was really throwing a wrench into it.

Today however, I finally woke up feeling good. Sure, I still have a bit of a stiffly nose, and the cough comes and goes a bit, but it's better. 

On an unrelated note, I also got a notification saying the Nargacuga plush I ordered was shipped, and should be here tomorrow if all goes well, whoo!  Apparently they were out of stock when I first placed the order.  Also finally was feeling well enough to work on my review lessons again, and woke up to 200+ of them to do xD  Eeep.

719HqM5-LvL._SL1500_.jpg
    1500 x 872 - 120K
    summary.jpg
    1366 x 1339 - 413K

There is trouble brewing but I am trying to stay out of it.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. New day dawning on a so far cloudless eggshell blue sky bleached white where the sun is peeking over rooftops :)

curry  ​ ​ ​ ​ 

hhh

thai style chkn n rice

Rezca said:

Well I spent all day (and most of the night) yesterday coughing up a storm, my cold apparently wanting one last kick at me before it went under. So instead of getting better the next day I spent the next day feeling more miserable than ever, made worse by the fact I got only an hour or so of sleep in those 24 hours.  I'm already an insomniac, but having to stop to blow my nose every few minutes and/or coughing was really throwing a wrench into it.

Today however, I finally woke up feeling good. Sure, I still have a bit of a stiffly nose, and the cough comes and goes a bit, but it's better. 

On an unrelated note, I also got a notification saying the Nargacuga plush I ordered was shipped, and should be here tomorrow if all goes well, whoo!  Apparently they were out of stock when I first placed the order.  Also finally was feeling well enough to work on my review lessons again, and woke up to 200+ of them to do xD  Eeep.

Hope you stay better. Kewt plushie. smiley

ps1borg said:

Morning. New day dawning on a so far cloudless eggshell blue sky bleached white where the sun is peeking over rooftops :)

American robin's egg blue here. What lays blue eggs down unda?

edited June 2016
    Tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:

American robin's egg blue here. What lays blue eggs down unda?

I don't know about Austraila's feathered beasties, but up here on the top side of the world I'm pretty sure all birds lay eggs down under.  Never saw one pop one out of its mouth. cheeky

temps dropping tnite. shold close the windows.  or pile a bunch of blankies on and pretend camping 

Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

...stopped off at a fiends place after ourt game session tonight.  Fresh strawberry Margaritas (with real strawberries in the blender) and good quality whiskey.  A little drunkapated tonight.

...wasn't really all that bad off. Slightly more typsy than usual but still very capable of standing up walking normally (wall as much as my stiff creaky joints allow for).  The bigger downer as when I got home and read the results of Yesterday's final...*ahem*..."contests".

Thus not in a very sunny mood today considering (even the weather outside seems to be mimicking my feelings though the temps are much more tolerable).  Seems all that effort was for naught.  Need a few days to regroup, figure out the next step, as well as try to drum up finances for a passport and possible relocation.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    kyoto kid said:

America's preoccupation with hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial soaps and overuse of pennicillin and other medicines to fight bacteria has given rise to "super bugs", bacterium that are immune to the majority of the weapons against them.  Especially when they are not used properly.  When given a prescription, you use the entire thing as directed.  A lot of people use it until they feel better then stop.  That is bad.  But all this overuse of actibacterial things is crazy.  This is why we now have such insidious things as MRSA.  And you know where most people catch that???  While stying in the hospital!  but it is easily spread by touching something that an infected person has touched...and since it's so immune, it is very difficult to get rid of it.

Dana

kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

Sorry about the long absence, been busy doin tons of other things and just.. forgot.. blushblush

[snip]

...when I get the "overqualified" reply, In my mind I want to get up and punch the interviewer in the face. It's just a bloody excuse to duck the fact that they don't want ot hire me because of my age. 

I have people telling me to forget getting hired and to start a business of my own instead.  I've tried that route before years ago, ended up working more for the taxman than for myself (and had less free time than I did in my previous job).  Besides, I am terrible at sales.

This is why I am pushing for SS Dis/Retirement instead. Yeah it's no luxury lifestyle, but it should keep a roof over my head and food in the pantry.  Then I can maybe do some book covers and illustration work for spending money on the side without having to file all the bloody self employment paperwork.

Excellent that you are able to get around again. Hoping that one of those leads come through.  Supposedly Portland is growing as a tech centre and fertile ground for startups. Good transit and good beer here. You could probably get a reduced fare card like I have so you can shoo the youngsters out of the front seats.

For where I've move to, it's ABC anywhere but California) lol!  Right now all I see in the Portland area is at Intel, and it's all contracts with no relocation pay.. so that's kind out for for me, for now.

It's ten years before I can retire on full SS, so that's not an option.. sure wish it was. indecision

Yep,  get the feeling they were really looking for some zealous young punk who would work lots of overtime and weekends.. which isn't an issue for me, I told 'em so but they were still "you're going to be bored".  Feh.  I'm starting to feel that ageism thing coming on, hateful hateful hateful.

I've actually started my own game development company TWICE!   Am I a slow learner or what?  But I figure it would be a very short-term thing, like a year or so, before I could jump back into working for one of the local mobile game companies here in Austin unless I put out a title that sells millions of copies (heh).  Hard work yeah, the tax thing sucks, but  the exit strategy would be to get bought out.

We'll see how things go.  Just have to keep pushing on...

...yeah Intel recently announced another corporate wide layoff, 12,000 employees, they've also been petitioning for raising the cap on H1Bs.  Not sure just how much that would affect us here.

There are a few other fairly prominent tech firms like Nvidia, E-on, and Autodesk HQ'd here.

[Crikey this spell checker is bad, worse than Firefox in what it suggests.]

Intel is in major reshuffle mode, for sure.  Probably not a fun place to work right now...

Back to the job search, urgh...

...yeah, the actually are one of the tech firms that has a poor track record when it comes to ageism.

Ageism is very bad in the tech sector in general.  Try to find out how many people over 55 work for Google or Facebook.  Most firms will deny it, but it is well known that it's a big concern in the tech fields, especially programming.

Dana

Rezca said:

Glad you're starting to feel better!

Dana

kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

...stopped off at a fiends place after ourt game session tonight.  Fresh strawberry Margaritas (with real strawberries in the blender) and good quality whiskey.  A little drunkapated tonight.

...wasn't really all that bad off. Slightly more typsy than usual but still very capable of standing up walking normally (wall as much as my stiff creaky joints allow for).  The bigger downer as when I got home and read the results of Yesterday's final...*ahem*..."contests".

Thus not in a very sunny mood today considering (even the weather outside seems to be mimicking my feelings though the temps are much more tolerable).  Seems all that effort was for naught.  Need a few days to regroup, figure out the next step, as well as try to drum up finances for a passport and possible relocation.

Passport?  Going to move out of the country?

Dana

DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Tjohn said:
    kyoto kid said:

Passport?  Going to move out of the country?

Dana

...yeah, been considring going back to one of the nations of my heritage. I know all about the "greener grass" fallacy, just that at least rents and living expenses will be a lot more affordable than here and the taxes I pay would actually support things that help rather than hurt people.

edited June 2016

...well need to find a new neighbourhood watering hole.  Got into a discussion about last night's..."contests"...and, well instead of politely agreeing to disagree the lead barkeep there told me "F-U" to my face and to others like me for my (our) convictions.  Sorry, wrong response.  He just lost his business a regular paying customer. Didn't leave a tip either.

A week or so ago we got into a discussion over pirating software, music, and other files and he defended the practise after which I told him a lot of people I know who put in a lot of time and barely make ends meet on what they create. 

...and members of this generation can't understand why older folks like myself have issues with them and their viewpoints.

Sad too, because the joint itself is a really nice place.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

They tend to think there are no law for them that is not there to break.   For some stealing is just funny and will try to steal everything they can get away with.  Wal-Mart has to use cameras in their store to keep down on shoplifting and even have a sign saying when shoplifting becomes a felony

i'm shopping for Metallica audio dvd.  one new one listed on amazon @ 195.00 and case has a crack in it.

wanted to ask a question if the mp3 version is as good as the audio dvd, surround sound an everything. but there is no option to ask the question on amazon detail page.

i want to lay on the floor surrounded by speakers and listen.

MistyMist said:

i'm shopping for Metallica audio dvd.  one new one listed on amazon @ 195.00 and case has a crack in it.

wanted to ask a question if the mp3 version is as good as the audio dvd, surround sound an everything. but there is no option to ask the question on amazon detail page.

Unless that DVD is gold plated and has autographs from the entire band on it...nope, not worth that kind of money!  Even then...

Dana

DanaTA said:
    MistyMist said:

Unless that DVD is gold plated and has autographs from the entire band on it...nope, not worth that kind of money!  Even then...

Dana

would want personal service from James  lol

well will be on my wishlist a while. mebbe someone will sell at more reasonable $.

This discussion has been closed.