The I Wanted Mousse But Got A Moose Instead Complaint Thread.

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

..well, actually "officially" topped 100° here yesterday.  Was 111° in the hood with a "real feel" of 124° due to somewhat high humidity and pretty much calm wind conditions

...felt like it too.

are you in the dessert?  eeks thaz insane hot

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

I was going to rent pride and prejuice and zombies but decided to listen to the book first on audio book so I signed up for audible to get the audio book.  I already got the audiobook.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

I was going to rent pride and prejuice and zombies but decided to listen to the book first on audio book so I signed up for audible to get the audio book.  I already got the audiobook.

I hope you enjoy it! smiley

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Tjohn said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

..well, actually "officially" topped 100° here yesterday.  Was 111° in the hood with a "real feel" of 124° due to somewhat high humidity and pretty much calm wind conditions

...felt like it too.

nomms cherries   munch munch  da pits  doh

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,146
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

...when I get the "overqualified" reply, In my mind I want to get up and punch the interviewer in the face. It's just a bloody excuse to duck the fact that they don't want ot hire me because of my age. 

I have people telling me to forget getting hired and to start a business of my own instead.  I've tried that route before years ago, ended up working more for the taxman than for myself (and had less free time than I did in my previous job).  Besides, I am terrible at sales.

This is why I am pushing for SS Dis/Retirement instead. Yeah it's no luxury lifestyle, but it should keep a roof over my head and food in the pantry.  Then I can maybe do some book covers and illustration work for spending money on the side without having to file all the bloody self employment paperwork.

Excellent that you are able to get around again. Hoping that one of those leads come through.  Supposedly Portland is growing as a tech centre and fertile ground for startups. Good transit and good beer here. You could probably get a reduced fare card like I have so you can shoo the youngsters out of the front seats.

I am not saying it was not ageism, but one big reason they don't like "overqualified" people is that they are pretty sure the person will be looking for something that is more on par with their experience and pay level, and when they find something, they will leave.  Companies don't like to spend the time training someone only to watch them leave for better pastures.  And they are mostly correct about that.  These days there are plenty who are willing to take huge pay cuts just to have money coming in, but that thought of them leaving when they find something better is always there and that's why they try to avoid hiring the "overqualified".  Hiring someone younger with just a little experience is a win-win for them.  They can pay them less, and they don't have to worry about them leaving for a while.

Dana

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...felt like it too.

...actually in what is supposed to be the rainy Northwest.

Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

Sorry about the long absence, been busy doin tons of other things and just.. forgot.. blushblush

[snip]

...when I get the "overqualified" reply, In my mind I want to get up and punch the interviewer in the face. It's just a bloody excuse to duck the fact that they don't want ot hire me because of my age. 

I have people telling me to forget getting hired and to start a business of my own instead.  I've tried that route before years ago, ended up working more for the taxman than for myself (and had less free time than I did in my previous job).  Besides, I am terrible at sales.

This is why I am pushing for SS Dis/Retirement instead. Yeah it's no luxury lifestyle, but it should keep a roof over my head and food in the pantry.  Then I can maybe do some book covers and illustration work for spending money on the side without having to file all the bloody self employment paperwork.

Excellent that you are able to get around again. Hoping that one of those leads come through.  Supposedly Portland is growing as a tech centre and fertile ground for startups. Good transit and good beer here. You could probably get a reduced fare card like I have so you can shoo the youngsters out of the front seats.

For where I've move to, it's ABC anywhere but California) lol!  Right now all I see in the Portland area is at Intel, and it's all contracts with no relocation pay.. so that's kind out for for me, for now.

It's ten years before I can retire on full SS, so that's not an option.. sure wish it was. indecision

Yep,  get the feeling they were really looking for some zealous young punk who would work lots of overtime and weekends.. which isn't an issue for me, I told 'em so but they were still "you're going to be bored".  Feh.  I'm starting to feel that ageism thing coming on, hateful hateful hateful.

I've actually started my own game development company TWICE!   Am I a slow learner or what?  But I figure it would be a very short-term thing, like a year or so, before I could jump back into working for one of the local mobile game companies here in Austin unless I put out a title that sells millions of copies (heh).  Hard work yeah, the tax thing sucks, but  the exit strategy would be to get bought out.

We'll see how things go.  Just have to keep pushing on...

...yeah Intel recently announced another corporate wide layoff, 12,000 employees, they've also been petitioning for raising the cap on H1Bs.  Not sure just how much that would affect us here.

There are a few other fairly prominent tech firms like Nvidia, E-on, and Autodesk HQ'd here.

[Crikey this spell checker is bad, worse than Firefox in what it suggests.]

DanaTA said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

I am not saying it was not ageism, but one big reason they don't like "overqualified" people is that they are pretty sure the person will be looking for something that is more on par with their experience and pay level, and when they find something, they will leave.  Companies don't like to spend the time training someone only to watch them leave for better pastures.  And they are mostly correct about that.  These days there are plenty who are willing to take huge pay cuts just to have money coming in, but that thought of them leaving when they find something better is always there and that's why they try to avoid hiring the "overqualified".  Hiring someone younger with just a little experience is a win-win for them.  They can pay them less, and they don't have to worry about them leaving for a while.

Dana

...true, the latter is part of it but it is also often also used to avoid hiring older workers for the same reasons as some are a afraid older people will ask for more because of their "life experience". Crikey, I just wanted a job that would cover the rent and expenses here, not be able to drive around in a Jaguar XKE or Tesla.

kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...felt like it too.

I thought that the Northwest was like Oregon and Washington and is the wetest part of the country

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365
    edited June 2016
    kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...felt like it too.

I thought that the Northwest was like Oregon and Washington and is the wetest part of the country

People used to say that the residents don't tan up there, they rust.surprise

But things are a-changin'.  Weather is going caca. sad Just think of the possible fires when the great northwestern forests burn and the ancient, thousand+ year old redwoods turn into 350 foot tall burnt matchsticks.crying  Vacation idea, go see them now before they're gone.enlightened

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SerpentSerpent Posts: 4,075
    MistyMist said:

Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

Sorry about the long absence, been busy doin tons of other things and just.. forgot.. blushblush

[snip]

For where I've move to, it's ABC anywhere but California) lol!  Right now all I see in the Portland area is at Intel, and it's all contracts with no relocation pay.. so that's kind out for for me, for now.

It's ten years before I can retire on full SS, so that's not an option.. sure wish it was. indecision

Yep,  get the feeling they were really looking for some zealous young punk who would work lots of overtime and weekends.. which isn't an issue for me, I told 'em so but they were still "you're going to be bored".  Feh.  I'm starting to feel that ageism thing coming on, hateful hateful hateful.

I've actually started my own game development company TWICE!   Am I a slow learner or what?  But I figure it would be a very short-term thing, like a year or so, before I could jump back into working for one of the local mobile game companies here in Austin unless I put out a title that sells millions of copies (heh).  Hard work yeah, the tax thing sucks, but  the exit strategy would be to get bought out.

game mods are popular

theres a new game mod for witcher3 - blood and wine
    wanna play it but
    ise ko'd mercilessly at the top of the stairs in witcher2

I own Witcher, I should look into modding it.. good idea, thanks! laugh

kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

[snip]

...yeah Intel recently announced another corporate wide layoff, 12,000 employees, they've also been petitioning for raising the cap on H1Bs.  Not sure just how much that would affect us here.

There are a few other fairly prominent tech firms like Nvidia, E-on, and Autodesk HQ'd here.

Intel is in major reshuffle mode, for sure.  Probably not a fun place to work right now...

Back to the job search, urgh...

Serpent said:
    MistyMist said:

Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

[snip]

game mods are popular

theres a new game mod for witcher3 - blood and wine
    wanna play it but
    ise ko'd mercilessly at the top of the stairs in witcher2

I own Witcher, I should look into modding it.. good idea, thanks! laugh

lemme know if you publish one.  i'm so witcher hungry, gone to the 1st game.  gotten used to the old graphics

felt crappy today, called in sick.  dunno what i was thinkin, told my manager i was feeling 'under the weather'

??  never used that expression in my life.

I went shopping at bath and body works because they had a great sale and I needed body wash. I went for body wash and a gift for a friend's birthday but got two body washes, a shower pouf, three air freshener refills, some hand sanitizer, a hand sanitizer holder and a body lotion for my friend all for a good price.   I got the body wash for a little over three each so I thought everything was a good deal.

bath n body stuff smells nice.

cherries come with built in lil handles  

I will go check out the Rune sale after my shower with my new pouf and one of my new body washes.  Oooh sounds so much fun!

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Morning. Sun is arriving painting the northeast sky all glowy pink and pale blue :)

MistyMist said:

There was a Sherlock Holmes on TV last bight featuring a terrier called Eustacia Vye, didnt understand it at all :)

I went shopping at bath and body works because they had a great sale and I needed body wash. I went for body wash and a gift for a friend's birthday but got two body washes, a shower pouf, three air freshener refills, some hand sanitizer, a hand sanitizer holder and a body lotion for my friend all for a good price.   I got the body wash for a little over three each so I thought everything was a good deal.

I'm trying to find an aroma therapy place locally but think they must be unfashionable right now cos there aren't any close to us, or maybe the 'hood haz got less hipster ?

Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

[snip]

Intel is in major reshuffle mode, for sure.  Probably not a fun place to work right now...

difficult to imagine the impact of 12000 layoffs all at once Oscar Mike Golf 

iz extra points for a double quote post ?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    ps1borg said:

iz extra points for a double quote post ?

No, you only get extra points if there are enough nested quotes that the innermost one is 1 character wide,

edited June 2016
    ps1borg said:
    MistyMist said:

There was a Sherlock Holmes on TV last bight featuring a terrier called Eustacia Vye, didnt understand it at all :)

I started to watch it but technical difficulties made it well difficult.

edit: It was the one with Robert Downing Jr.  I find him hawt and could imagine him acting as one of my hawt male characters.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    ps1borg said:

Morning. Sun is arriving painting the northeast sky all glowy pink and pale blue :)

Good morning - sounss pretty!! smiley

I want Edward to move his tank a few inches so he will not be blocking the right corner of the monitor on my desk.  Oh wait, he cannot do that but that requires me getting up and rearranging my desk.

eating cherries makin me hungry to eat more cherries

kyoto kid said:
    MistyMist said:
    kyoto kid said:

...felt like it too.

People used to say that the residents don't tan up there, they rust.surprise

But things are a-changin'.  Weather is going caca. sad Just think of the possible fires when the great northwestern forests burn and the ancient, thousand+ year old redwoods turn into 350 foot tall burnt matchsticks.crying  Vacation idea, go see them now before they're gone.enlightened

...and yes, in the last several years they've been bad. I remember last summer when there was a huge fire just outside Portland that filled the skies with so much smoke, people were using those filter masks and the sky looked like something out of a post apocalyptic film.

Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:
    kyoto kid said:
    Serpent said:

[snip]

...yeah, the actually are one of the tech firms that has a poor track record when it comes to ageism.

...as I understand sanitisers are bad as they make your system more sensitive to germs.

...stopped off at a fiends place after ourt game session tonight.  Frank strawberry Margaritas (with real strawberries in the blender) and good quality whiskey.  A little drunkapated tonight.

Leela kicked butt again, taking two of the bad guys out in one firefight while all the other characters, including the spell slingers, kept flubbing up. So of course, they saw her as a the real threat and shot at her including tossing an HE grenade her way (fortunately she survived).

Last week she disarmed a really nasty bomb that was designed to spread a bad military grade neurotoxin in a stadium saving the day (if you can set up demolitions you can also disarm them). We finished that mission in record (real) time, 1hr 45 min.

This discussion has been closed.