You've been heard. Response re: 4.9 and Encryption

Comments

• Szark said:

Hello,

I use Octane Renderer, but do not use the Octane plugin.  I simply export my figures and props as .obj and import into Octane.  Will I still be able to do this with encrypted products?

yes because the products are not encrypted after they have been installed.

Rather, they are encrypted - but you can load them into DS and use any of the export formats (OBJ, FBX, MDD if you have a full AniMate 2 licnese, etc.) as you can with unencrypted content.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    Szark said:

Hello,

I use Octane Renderer, but do not use the Octane plugin.  I simply export my figures and props as .obj and import into Octane.  Will I still be able to do this with encrypted products?

yes because the products are not encrypted after they have been installed.

The items are still encrypted (if they were unincrypred after install, this whole messy discussion would not be existent), but you can export them to a different format, that exported file is unecrypted.

(Taking off smartypants now and hops off into the sunset...)

• LyoneLyone Posts: 139

Hi DAZ,

I do all my renders in Vue. DAZ Studio is not a lanscape program and I do a lot of renders/scenes in outdoor environment. Will I be able to export the encrypted products in Vue?

Best regards.

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited January 2016

I am not very technically gifted at all, so this idea might well be riddled with problems but...

Wouldn't it be possible to implant every copy of every product sold with a hidden customer code/identifier that traces that copy back to its original purchaser? Then, if that copy was later discovered being distributed around the net on warez sites, it could be traced back to the person who originally started distributing it and they could be investigated/prosecuted? Feels like that would potentially pick up a lot of the casual pirates without inconveniencing anyone.

Just spit-balling here...

*Bracing self for the inevitable ridicule laugh*

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Ok cool I stand corrected, my bad. I thought I did read what I said somewhere but probbaly got the worng end of the stick as usual. :)

• lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    tl155180 said:

I am not very technically gifted at all, so this idea might well be riddled with problems but...

Wouldn't it be possible to implant every copy of every product sold with a hidden customer code/identifier that traces that copy back to its original purchaser? Then, if that copy was later discovered being distributed around the net on warez sites, it could be traced back to the person who originally started distributing it and they could be investigated/prosecuted? Feels like that would potentially pick up a lot of the casual pirates.

I thought about that too but how are you going to hide the identifier without encrypting the file its in? I mean the DRM people would be happier but those who want read access to the files aren't going to be pleased with that solution.

lx said:
    tl155180 said:

Wouldn't it be possible to implant every copy of every product sold with a hidden customer code/identifier that traces that copy back to its original purchaser? Then, if that copy was later discovered being distributed around the net on warez sites, it could be traced back to the person who originally started distributing it and they could be investigated/prosecuted? Feels like that would potentially pick up a lot of the casual pirates.

I thought about that too but how are you going to hide the identifier without encrypting the file its in? I mean the DRM people would be happier but those who want read access to the files aren't going to be pleased with that solution.

I dunno how you'd do it... or if its even possible. Thats why I phrased it as a question laugh. Could well be a stupid idea.

• Lyone said:

Hi DAZ,

I do all my renders in Vue. DAZ Studio is not a lanscape program and I do a lot of renders/scenes in outdoor environment. Will I be able to export the encrypted products in Vue?

Best regards.

Yes, export options are not affected.

tl155180 said:
    lx said:
    tl155180 said:

I dunno how you'd do it... or if its even possible. Thats why I phrased it as a question laugh. Could well be a stupid idea.

I don't know either but that seems like the ideal sort of copy protection - people can still copy it (knowingly or not) and everything will work fine regardless, but when that file pops up online someone from Daz can download it and get an idea of where the files are coming from and identify patterns ... if they don't already ;o

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited January 2016
    tl155180 said:

Wouldn't it be possible to implant every copy of every product sold with a hidden customer code/identifier that traces that copy back to its original purchaser? Then, if that copy was later discovered being distributed around the net on warez sites, it could be traced back to the person who originally started distributing it and they could be investigated/prosecuted? Feels like that would potentially pick up a lot of the casual pirates without inconveniencing anyone.

There are some implementation issues, in particular it would mean creating a unique zip for each customer just before download, doable but a fair bit of extra work for the download servers. Caution would also have to be taken against accusing someone falsely if the distributed content was amended and matched the id of some innocent customer, unlikely, but an unpleasant situation if it arrives. Also if the code was hidden away somewhere, it could be quickly discovered where by comparing the files from two different accounts.

Post edited by Havos on
  • lx said:
    tl155180 said:

Also, that would require generating a fresh copy of the zip (assuming the plan is to copmbine this with DIM) for each user, rather than simply feeding them a copy of the standard zip. I think the tremendous overhead associated with that is why we get two packages for offline authorisation with Connect - a big one, the same for all users, with the data and small one with the individual decryption key (which works with the machine key to extract the files). But yes, placing an indetifier that couldn't readily be found and removed would also be an issue I think.

Havos said:
    tl155180 said:

There are some implementation issues, in particular it would mean creating a unique zip for each customer just before download, doable but a fair bit of extra work for the download servers. Caution would also have to be taken against accusing someone falsely if the distributed content was amended and matched the id of some innocent customer, unlikely, but an unpleasant situation if it arrives.

Right I wouldn't suggest having a product someone bought pop up once be damning evidence, just something to keep note of. When it happens several times over a time period that's a lot more of an indicator than having nothing to go on though.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    lx said:
    tl155180 said:

And its well within the abilities/motivations of many crackers to crack the coding, change the identifiers to those of legit customers who would be horrified at the mere idea of so much as looking at a piracy site, and then sitting back to watch the "fun" of wrongful prosecutions and DAZ getting hit hard for exposing customers to such (and to what it takes to accomplish it).

Havos said:
    tl155180 said:

There are some implementation issues, in particular it would mean creating a unique zip for each customer just before download, doable but a fair bit of extra work for the download servers. Caution would also have to be taken against accusing someone falsely if the distributed content was amended and matched the id of some innocent customer, unlikely, but an unpleasant situation if it arrives. Also if the code was hidden away somewhere, it could be quickly discovered where by comparing the files from two different accounts.

Yeah that was a scenario that crossed my mind. Not sure how easy it'd be for hackers to change it to someone else's code... I guess it would depend on how complex the identifiers were.

Yeah, there are way too many technical issues.

Would still love to hear why prices would have to go up without DRM though.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited January 2016
    tl155180 said:
    Taozen said:
    tl155180 said:
    DAZ_Steve said:
    Just a couple of points I'd love to clarify: 4.9 works fine, even if you choose to use DIM rather than Daz Connect. Daz Connect is pretty much like DIM inside Studio, and non encrypted files transferred with Daz Connect are, as the name implies, not encypted. So people can use 4.9 and/or Daz Connect without buying or using encypted products. That was done for ease of use, especially for new users, and to prevent the need for another application. Rather you like or hate Daz Connect, please know that we are attempting to make the experience easier for new users so as to grow the community. As to claims of greed, control, etc. Etc. Around encryption, let me just say: nonsense. If people were not illegally distributing content, and as such undermining Daz, PAs, and honest customers, we would not have taken these steps. This is not a technical nor political challenge anyone would desire. As much as a vocal few have their feelings hurt due to trust issues, I ask that you imagine shopping at your favorite store and watching shoplifters simply walk out with product. Then seeing the store owners, who refuse to check receipts at the door because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, and hear the owners state that they may have to raise prices due to all of the theft. Costco checks my receipt on the way out. I am honest, but I know this is because some people are not. Everyone in this forum has locks on their doors. I hope your neighbors are not offended by this. People keep discussing our motives. Ask yourselves what they are. Why would we create this tense discussion? Why would we add to that a legal promise to ensure you will always be able to use your content and decrypt it, and even promise such a solution gets handed out if we ever break our promise and charge for decryption? This does not gain us money. It stops theft. Plain and simple.

I've highlighted the section to which I particularly took offense. What you're saying there is that we - the law-abiding, honest customers - are being held responsible for what the pirates are doing. You are blaming us for the actions of a corrupt minority and holding us accountable. You're saying that because people are stealing your intellectual rights and you can't be bothered / can't afford to chase them down over it you're going to have to blanket punish everyone for it and treat us all as criminals to be on the safe side. Well, just so you know, I object to that reasoning.

Are you sure you didn't misinterprete what he said? In any case, your interpretation is very different from mine. 

What I read is that he's blaming those probably few costumers who are involved in piracy at the expense of DAZ, PA's and all the honest customers [who may have to pay higher prices because of the loss (assuming there is one, which DAZ apparently do), as well as being possible suspects because no one knows for sure which of the customers are the pirates] . Maybe he should have said "if some people" or "if certain people" or whatever rather than "if people" but from the context it should be rather easy to understand what he means, IMO.

As for chasing down the pirates it is well known that this can be very difficult if they reside in other countries, especially certain ones, for different reasons, which has also been addressed elsewhere here.

Of course, everything is open to interpretation based upon the reader's initial bias - that stands to reason. You're free to interpret it how you see fit, just like I am. To me, what he said basically boiled down to "if people were not illegally distributing our products, then we wouldn't have to do this to you all". Now, that implies that we bear some responsibility for what those people he mentions are doing when, of course, we are not responsible in the slightest. We have nothing to do with it at all.

Its like when a teacher says to their pupils, "some of you were being rowdy (but they don't know who), so I'm going to keep the whole class behind today as punishment", as if the rest of the class could possibly have prevented the rowdiness. Punishing a whole group because you can't or won't identify the real culprits is not justice - its laziness.

Personally I don't feel punished by DAZ. I understand their decision and if I were to blame anyone it would be the pirates for without them this would never had happened.

So IMO you're just punishing yourself with the belief that you're being punished by DAZ. wink

Post edited by Taoz on
  • DAZ_Steve_2154153DAZ_Steve_2154153 Posts: 565
    edited January 2016
    Several people have accurately made the point that numbers in some of these equations are impossible to guess. That is true. Realiatically, when attempting to predict the number of Downloaders of pirated content who would buy instead if it was no longer available as pirated, the only real answer is "some of them." And if encryption gets cracked, then guessing the number of people who will buy rather than going through the headache (and possibly ever changing back k and forth technical hurdles) of bypassing encryption, the only real answer is "some of them." Those two groups of people don't just mean more sales for Daz. Let's not overlook that it also means more income and food on the tables of the artists who created the content. How much more? No one knows for sure. But I do know they've earned it. How many people will avoid buying decryption? Obviously "some of them." But I hope that by continuing our efforts to make this painless from a use case for the end users, and by offering good content and good deals, that this group shrinks over time.
    Post edited by DAZ_Steve_2154153 on
    Taozen said:
    So IMO you're just punishing yourself with the belief you're being punished by DAZ. wink

Hahaha! yes

edited January 2016
    DAZ_Steve said:
    Several people have accurately made the point that numbers in some of these equations are impossible to guess. That is true. Realiatically, when attempting to predict the number of Downloaders of pirated content who would buy instead if it was no longer available as pirated, the only real answer is "some of them." And if encryption gets cracked, then guessing the number of people who will buy rather than going through the headache (and possibly ever changing back k and forth technical hurdles) of bypassing encryption, the only real answer is "some of them." Those two groups of people don't just mean more sales for Daz. Let's not overlook that it also means more income and food on the tables of the artists who created the content. How much more? No one knows for sure. But I do know they've earned it. How many people will avoid buying decryption? Obviously "some of them." But I hope that by continuing our efforts to make this painless from a use case for the end users, and by offering good content and good deals, that this group shrinks over time.

Noooo you edited your post - I wanted to buy the god content, hand it over.

Seriously though, that's one hell of a limb to crawl out onto over some maybes. Hopefully it works out for you!

Post edited by lx_2807502 on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    DAZ_Steve said:

So the critical equation of determining success of this exercise boils to:  if "unknown sum" > "another unknown sum" then success else failure.

Nice to know the world contains such certainties!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Yeah, that's what I figure. Marketing and corporate types who actually think DRM helps.

AH well. It'll be interesting to hear the spin in a few months.

• frogimusfrogimus Posts: 200
    DAZ_Steve said:

Thank you. This statement feels more frank and honest than a lot of the corporate double-speak I've seen recently.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    DAZ_Steve said:
    [snip] Let's not overlook that it also means more income and food on the tables of the artists who created the content. [snip]

And if DAZ was a charitable institution this would be a good point.  But its a for-profit business, and ours is a business relationship:  I spend money here for value received.  Encryption/DRM that impairs my use of the products reduces their value to me in many ways, so much so that even freebies aren't worth it.  If the artists want my money, they have to provide value to me for that money.  And the only person who decides what's of value to me is me -- DAZ isn't going to convince me that putting food on a content creator's table adds enough value to endure impairing encryption/DRM.  When I want to do that I donate to a food bank.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Okay, so I finally decided to read this thread... I read the first post. My interpretation is: "We hear you, we understand your concerns, but this is happening no matter what, we hope these above points help to alleviate your fears or distrust of our new system".

Did I expect a diffent answer? No.

What really pisses me off is that since the adoption of Iray, I've been focusing all my model making efforts on Studio trying to learn to make stuff that works better with it and utilizes the IRay system and PBR to achieve better results...  Finally, PBR for DAZ Studio... Oh... Wait... They found a way to ruin that... No, it doesn't stop me from making cooler models for DAZ Studio... No, it doesn't stop IRay from working... But it does present a new system that I have no... ABSOLUTELY NO interest in being a part of.

I have so many words and colorful, amusing analogies for this that are such a complete violation of the TOS, that I shall refrain from... Suffice to say, I'm deeply disappointed, but as usual, not surprised.

I will close my comment on this subject by saying:  DAZ, your efforts to prevent piracy of content are pointless, they will be thwarted by those who want to steal, no matter what... they always will find a way.   The people who download pirated content were never going to buy that content anyway, and nobody is losing money to them to begin with, the only people losing anything is the customer and that is the loss of convenience, trust and patience and in the long run the harder you make it for people to enjoy using their content the less your PAs will earn and in the end the very people you claim this move will help will suffer from it. Likewise providing the opportunity for more problems to arise for customers to have to sort out for themselves and file godforsaken tickets for will not endear you to them, it never has and it never will.  There is a saying that I don't remember exactly that goes something like "It is a wise leader that knows when he has made a bad decision and takes steps to correct it, it is a foolish leader that stands by his choices at all cost".

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

edited January 2016
    DAZ_Steve said:

I will point out Steve that when you're talking about people who might switch from piracy to legitimate purchases you are talking in 'theoretical potentials' because I assume you haven't had any conversations with actual pirates who've said they'd do this(?). Whereas existing customers saying that they will spend less or nothing in your store as a result of this (assuming that they aren't lying) is somewhat more of a certainty. I'm just gonna say: good luck with tallying those up! wink

Edit: Also, you forgot a group - the potential new customers you might've attracted in the future who were put off by the thought of DRM and the negative press put out by your rival stores.

Post edited by tl155180 on
  • LyoneLyone Posts: 139
    Lyone said:

Hi DAZ,

Best regards.

Yes, export options are not affected.

That's good to hear. Thank you.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    DAZ_Steve said:

You really need to offer a more compelling proposition than that. This whole thing has been botched badly from the beginning. I remember in the original threads when the presence of encryption sort of leaked out, like the centre of a slowly rotting tomato. It was like pulling teeth getting at the true story behind DAZ's intentions.

That kind of start has created a lot of bad feeling and mistrust, but it seems that you don't really "get" that. It's the typical salesperson mentality: "Forget the issues, let's discount some more, shove some deals down their throats, then they'll come flocking in through the doors."

Good luck with that.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    lx said:
    Szark said:

acanthis said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the company to poll all of its customers to get a representative measure of true feeling?

Examining sales figures is the best method DAZ can use to measure true feeling. If a significant proportion of customers truly feel that DRM is unacceptable then they'll not buy encrypted products. DAZ will notice that very quickly.

but what I you have no other option in the near future? Eat it or die.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818
    cosmo71 said:
    lx said:
    Szark said:

acanthis said:

Wouldn't it be a good idea for the company to poll all of its customers to get a representative measure of true feeling?

Examining sales figures is the best method DAZ can use to measure true feeling. If a significant proportion of customers truly feel that DRM is unacceptable then they'll not buy encrypted products. DAZ will notice that very quickly.

but what I you have no other option in the near future? Eat it or die.

In my case with Carrara it might have to mean grow my own.

• TesseractSpaceTesseractSpace Posts: 1,153
    edited January 2016
    Petercat said:
    barbult said:
    Petercat said:
    Sorel said:

To be fair, it is a vocal few >_>

Of the population on this thread? Not so few.

My objection was mostly to the part, "who want to have their feelings hurt."

Adding "want to" was unneeded, childish, and gratuitously insulting.

If Steve had said "who have their feelings hurt", I wouldn't have even mentioned it.

But for this to come from the freakin' Director of Marketing??!! Un-freaking-believable.

"who want to have their feelings hurt"???? Where did you read that? I think you may be misquoting.

That was a direct cut-and-paste from Steve's comment. It appears to have been changed since then.

Yeah, think he might have realized just how insulting and patronizing that turn of phrase was. Hoping that was just him being tired and/or out of sorts, I'd really hate to think that he really thinks that

DAZ_Steve said:

I will say that while I've not yet met anyone who said they don't buy here because they'd rather pirate, I have known some that started out pirate and changed to buying legit as soon as they were financially able, despite the continued availability of pirated content at the time. So there's another unquantifiable factor. 

Obviously it would be better had they just waited till they could get what they wanted properly, but they weren't 'lost sales' when they were pirating. They would not have been able to buy anyway. And they could hardly be considered 'lost sales' when they actually purchased what they used. Hardly ideal but not the popular conception of some dark figure cackling in a basement as he scrolls through his ill-gotten gains and looks for his next target to steal.

Post edited by TesseractSpace on
This discussion has been closed.