Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823

I want to get a good set of dark skin.  You did a nice job on her features (to my eyes).  The dark skins I have react so differently to light.

This one is definately better full image than on Thumbnail.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Linwelly said:

The finnish people seem to have a lot of sense for the mystical it seems. There is a finnish comic artist Minna Sundberg who has one finished and one ongoing webcomic I follow. I really like her style and she weafes a lot of folklore and the like into her work.

This one was an attempt at creating a character of african origin, dialed in from g2f. Looking back there is still some work to be done to make the features work. The skin was made with the skin builder for genesis and g2f. I was and I still do lacking some good african curly hair. It was a complete different thing to make the lights work with the dark skin, will have to revisit her in time.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/8e/256e64d6bb0434cdad94a203b37cdc.jpg

She looks great! Beautiful skin tone.  Look foward to seeing what you do with her in the future.  I love the skin builder one of my smarter purchases as a newbie lol. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

That hair looks promising, I will try it, thanks fot the link

Your welcome, glad to help.  I just happened to come across it about 10 minutes after I read your post lol.

Your welcome, glad to help.  I just happened to come across it about 10 minutes after I read your post lol.

That hair will be plenty usefull, its really eay to fit it to any figure I put it on, got that impractical rouge just as well and had a good laugh!

edited January 2016

Ah, since my boys are out of he race in the raining men competition, I will give them a new home here:

First one is the one with the mysterious mirror phenomenon second one is a RPG character my husband plays and last one is my old friend the traveler in a new setting...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6c/d1acb7fb7092021e4e072800318f63.jpg

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/87/a555c9580b0ec29a390ba6508810a4.jpg

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/03/2cad6f4e64d5a1872d2f4dc0ee8ce9.jpg

interrupted.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    Coinneach.jpg
    1000 x 1420 - 1M
    last-minute-jedi.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by Linwelly on

Wow those are great!  The first one, the pose and the look on his face completely tell the story.  Second one, the elements all fit together, clothing, where he is at etc.  And I really like his outfit as well lol.  For some reason number three reminds me strongly of Mel Gibson (not a bad thing lol) and I like the sense of emptiness despite the buildings in the distance.

edited January 2016

Heh, "Impractical Rogue" is good for bashing with other outfits.  It is pretty "impractical" on its own :).

I Like your images and scenarios but generally those big contests are foregone conclusions without a professional investment level of both Tech hardware and Post skills and programs.

I sometimes think that flux capacitor and gigawatt usage are as important to some as the image itself is, I don't get the "cooked for 97 hours in a particle accelerator" as being somehow relevant.  Most of us aren't at that "I do this for a Living" level of financial investment.  I didn't get all of the "repurposed" tags.  These were existing images?

One of the few images I really liked A LOT was "Barrel of Micheals".   The bulging mansack things and Fabio Pretty.. meh.  My tastes run more towards Sam Elliot in a Cowboy suit. Or Tom Selleck in same.

Post edited by Teofa on
    Teofa said:

Heh, "Impractical Rogue" is good for bashing with other outfits.  It is pretty "impractical" on its own :).

I Like your images and scenarios but generally those big contests are foregone conclusions without a professional investment level of both Tech hardware and Post skills and programs.

I sometimes think that flux capacitor and gigawatt usage are as important to some as the image itself is, I don't get the "cooked for 97 hours in a particle accelerator" as being somehow relevant.  Most of us aren't at that "I do this for a Living" level of financial investment.  I didn't get all of the "repurposed" tags.  These were existing images?

One of the few images I really liked A LOT was "Barrel of Micheals".   The bulging mansack things and Fabio Pretty.. meh.  My tastes run more towards Sam Elliot in a Cowboy suit. Or Tom Selleck in same.

The repurpose tag was ment for the images where there was either clothes original designed for some female character refitted and altered according to the situation, or in some cases people made new clothes like that Merlin Guy who got a HM (one of the best images in my opinion).

I agree there was a shift to the man meat in the choices as well as to the g3m. I like to make male characters, as in they have more than just a presentable abdomen. And as little as I go crazy about the Girl pinups I feel the same about the boy pinups.

The barrel of Michaels was one of the best ideas, followed by "not everyone is meant to be a star". There were some others I really enjoyed... oh well, I will just keep on with telling my stories, as that is the reason I started making art.

I couldnt go more than about half way through the man thread.  I was either lauging hysterically or just shaking my head in consternation lol.  So not into man pinups either especially the ones that look more like girls than men.  I like rugged men, not pretty ones myself.  Of course, everyone likes different things.

edited January 2016

So then I will give you some rugged men ;-), was my entry to the new user contest in June or July 2015

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f2/eca45b9473dc46e743c6e60d0c8703.jpg

Brothers-in-arms2.jpg
    1400 x 788 - 1M

I missed this one.  Nice work.

Linwelly said:

So then I will give you some rugged men ;-), was my entry to the new user contest in June or July 2015

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/f2/eca45b9473dc46e743c6e60d0c8703.jpg

Much more to my liking thank you lol!  I really like this one.  Great fire too

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012

I love following this thread, such as great collection of exceptional images.

Thanks a lot to all three of you, it took me ages to get that one together as every move of the perspective took my computer 10 minutes time to think about it, every other time crashing. Made me save really often, which took another ten minutes every time. The fire is from "simple Living - fireplace" I believe it was a freebie once, but as I tried to look it up in the shop I couldn't find it anymore. It was really nice though as you could hide the grid and single logs.

• That "mirror" render is very cool...nice work! And your husband's character looks like he could be my long-lost cousin...

Thanks a lot Scott, wow you'r back! Its been a long time, where have you been? Hehe you're freckled like that as well? Wait til you see his twin sister (aka the char I play in that round).

edited January 2016

and that twin sister would be this one: so be easy and free when you drink it with me...

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ce/03a7c181953b4a20c40b9e4ca6ad82.jpg

now I have to go and find a reason to out up all the images that I made before this one...

Ceara.jpg
    1000 x 1420 - 1M
    edited January 2016

Please do. :).  I hope you meant "bring out" :)

Post edited by Teofa on
  • RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

nice renders

but do not forget the eyes

lots of staring eyes

eyes movement is communication and life

edited January 2016

Hehe, I aimed for the p so the " out up" would have been a "put up"...

Thanks Ruphus, I'm sorry, can you explain about the eyes. I always move the eyes, in the last render to the camera,  well as the other twin. In other renders I use a small primitive to focus the eyes on, some times using Point at but that has its glitches so the other times I do it from hand.

gerne auch auf deutsch wenn's einfacher ist ;-)

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

"Because I want to" has always been reason enough for me ;)

edited January 2016

You are right mori_mann, that's why here is the next, called collecting moonlight. This was the first time I tried submitting something to the DS Creative magezine contest, but couldn't place. This one has really a lot of postwork compared to what I ususally do -slowly getting more confident with that kind of work.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/7b/cc785ce8c8c9465d1108710387b9af.jpg

collecting-moonlight-klein.jpg
    1056 x 1500 - 1M

You come up with the most interesting concepts.

• I can't believe it has been so long since I popped in here.  I get distracted easily and I tend to put blinders on when I am focused on a project.

I couldnt go more than about half way through the man thread.  I was either lauging hysterically or just shaking my head in consternation lol.  So not into man pinups either especially the ones that look more like girls than men.  I like rugged men, not pretty ones myself.  Of course, everyone likes different things.

That is okay, Sonja, I still like you even if our tastes are different.  wink   As for me, I happen to love a good male pinup.  At least, I like them much better than female ones.  I, also, prefer the much more rugged look, too.  Really not into looking at renders of guys who look like they spend more time looking in a mirror than I do and I hardly ever look in a mirror myself.  I don't know about this trend where men look like they visit waxing salons either.  Does no one like the natural look anymore?  I must be getting old.  Next thing you know, I'll start spouting something starts with "Back in the day..."

@Linwelly - I love your render there with the men around the fire.  It is a nice strong image and you did a great job with lighting and shaders.  I like the rugged feel to the image like the men had actually been out hunting all day or they had just survived the battle and were relaxing telling stories around the fire.  Your images always have an interesting style.

Thanks a lot Knitting, it means a lot to me, as that render is kind of special to me.

Well we all have long passed natural didn't we? The pressure of shaving every body hair from the skin for women is everything but natural. I am already afraid of the moment my daughter starts growing hairs on shins etc, what will I tell her, just let it grow and be the weird one in the class, or or go shave it all of and deny what is normal...

• Linwelly said:

Thanks a lot Knitting, it means a lot to me, as that render is kind of special to me.

Well we all have long passed natural didn't we? The pressure of shaving every body hair from the skin for women is everything but natural. I am already afraid of the moment my daughter starts growing hairs on shins etc, what will I tell her, just let it grow and be the weird one in the class, or or go shave it all of and deny what is normal...

Yes, I can't even imagine.  In some ways, I guess it is good that I ended up with all boys.  In some ways, they are much easier.   I don't have to handle when to they can wear makeup, when to shave, when to date... and the list goes on.  Boys can shave or not and no one says anything, they don't wear makeup (not yet anyway), and my oldest is 15 and not in any hurry to have anything to do with girls and dating yet.  He is still too much into video games to care about girls.  I'm sure one day soon he will wake up and notice them.  There are times when I miss having had a girl, but there are others when I think boys are easier and I lucked out.  Girls in puberty? I imagine it would be tough to figure out the bes way of dealing with peer pressure and cliques (clicks?) in school and a whole plethora of other problems.  And from what I remember in my younger days, some girls are just downright vicious to other girls.  I have no clue why.  And for some of the silliest reasons.  At least they seem silly when I look back on it from such a long distance in time.

edited January 2016
    Linwelly said:

Yes, I can't even imagine.  In some ways, I guess it is good that I ended up with all boys.  In some ways, they are much easier.   I don't have to handle when to they can wear makeup, when to shave, when to date... and the list goes on.  Boys can shave or not and no one says anything, they don't wear makeup (not yet anyway), and my oldest is 15 and not in any hurry to have anything to do with girls and dating yet.  He is still too much into video games to care about girls.  I'm sure one day soon he will wake up and notice them.  There are times when I miss having had a girl, but there are others when I think boys are easier and I lucked out.  Girls in puberty? I imagine it would be tough to figure out the bes way of dealing with peer pressure and cliques (clicks?) in school and a whole plethora of other problems.  And from what I remember in my younger days, some girls are just downright vicious to other girls.  I have no clue why.  And for some of the silliest reasons.  At least they seem silly when I look back on it from such a long distance in time.

We've been though some of those situations with vicious girls already during primary school, and my daughter usually was on the short end... made her stonger in the end. well lets see what the future brings.

For now I'll sho another one from the RRRR contest. I had lots of fun with this one as I fiddled around to make the water surface and its caustics on the floor by myself. Didnt have a mermaid either so I made one myself as well (hehe, chop chop little fishy) the floating hair was a freebie by MEC4D last summer.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/dd/197d701c2f6cda0a79a555afefae46.jpg

last-moments.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • I like this scene.  I have an underwater set that I'm working on, but haven't done any renders with it yet.  Sometimes I find, I have a render in my head that I would like to do, but I find setting it up the way I see it takes a really long time.  I love adding things to the set, but it can get tedious so I take breaks so I won't become totally disallusioned with the efforts I'm making.  However, at the end, I do have a nice set that I can then use for multiple renders and still have it look unique and different from any of my other renders.

I am curious how you did the tails if you had no mermaids, though.  It looks great and, if all you did was put a fishtail behind the rock, I'm really impressed because it blends in very well!