Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    Linwelly said:

Then let's see what you come up with.

Why the heck I came up with a snow and winter image in last May I don't know. I guess it fitting much more now, and maybe it will call the snowfairy out.

This is Neige

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/1d/f864ed28891d4568b9c0951edc0100.jpg

Wow.

I see this and I don't even want to post mine.  I worked on it for 3 hours and it's terrible!  It looks like a simple snapshot.  Not even a creative photograph, just a snapshot like a tourist would take with an instant camera on automatic settings.  It takes me so long to figure out the simple nuts and bolts of putting a scene together that the creative process doesn't have a chance to even get started.

For what it's worth...

Photo_reflection_03.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 619K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,861
    edited December 2015
    dHandle said:
    Linwelly said:

Why the heck I came up with a snow and winter image in last May I don't know. I guess it fitting much more now, and maybe it will call the snowfairy out.

This is Neige

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/1d/f864ed28891d4568b9c0951edc0100.jpg

Wow.

I see this and I don't even want to post mine.  I worked on it for 3 hours and it's terrible!  It looks like a simple snapshot.  Not even a creative photograph, just a snapshot like a tourist would take with an instant camera on automatic settings.  It takes me so long to figure out the simple nuts and bolts of putting a scene together that the creative process doesn't have a chance to even get started.

For what it's worth...

Please don't feel bad about your render. To put thing a little into relation for you, I remember that I was busy with the fairy and her dress alone for at least five hours, add another weeks evenings for the rest of the render and then I started fiddling around with the postwork. Sure I would need less time now as I was doing many things for he first time, or still unsure about the hows and whys but then I find new thing to try with every render so on everage I need two weeks before I say something is finished. And looking at them later, I still find things I don't really like.

Some ideas for your render: I would return to the perspective where you can the the photographer only in the reflection, let the bus come from the other side, use the way human brain works, where there is a bus stop on one side there is one on the other side. So the bus as well is only seen in the reflection. Try giving the bus a motion blurr and rather than rushing for the bus the girl jumps from the bench and turns to warn the stupid man.

These are just some ideas what you make of them is your decision. And above all have fun with what you do.

Post edited by Linwelly on
    Linwelly said:
    dHandle said:
    Linwelly said:

This is Neige

Wow.

For what it's worth...

Please don't feel bad about your render. To put thing a little into relation for you, I remember that I was busy with the fairy and her dress alone for at least five hours, add another weeks evenings for the rest of the render and then I started fiddling around with the postwork. Sure I would need less time now as I was doing many things for he first time, or still unsure about the hows and whys but then I find new thing to try with every render so on everage I need two weeks before I say something is finished. And looking at them later, I still find things I don't really like.

Thanks Lin,

This really does help put things into perspective for me.  For you to say it takes you about 2 weeks before you feel a render is "finished" is very helpful and encouraging.  I can honestly say I've never put that much time into any single render (which probably explains the low quality of my work...at least in my own estimation).

I think what I need is to just do more projects.  It's hard to believe that I have been at this for over 2 years now.  I joined on Oct. 1 2013.  Now, granted, I am a very on again, off again hobbyist.  I fiddle around with photography, Adobe Premiere Pro movie projects, Adobe After Effects projects. 

I'm not really good at anything...I'm just interested in everything!  So...I'm spread pretty thin.  If I give this project some thought, I can probably come up with something. 

(At least until the next distraction comes along...)

Thanks for the encouragement!

"D"

• @dHandle  While I find that some fun renders come together quite quickly, a LOT of renders take time and constant tweaking before they are done.  I even have some long term renders that I'm working on that aren't even close to being done.  I have a diner scene that have been working on for close to six months.  While I love working on it, I will be very glad when it is finally done.  Most of my renders seem to take about two weeks or so, like Linwelly.  The really long term ones like the diner scene I'm working on take longer because there are a lot of characters and I'm creating all of the characters from scratch from the base model and they range in age from toddler to characters in their 70s. 

I find that I constantly tweak a render to death sometimes, though, and there have been times when I've needed to give myself a deadline like with the contests so that I can say I'm done even when I think I could tweak something just a bit more.  I have found that sometimes my skills skyrocket when I need to finish a render faster and I'm constantly having to learn how to do something quickly to get a desired effect.  They may not be great renders, but all of those renders like your bus stop scene will teach you something and help you along your journey to gaining more skills.  Good luck.

Knitting, I have some of those renders sitting around as well, never happy with them and try fiddling as I might they won't come out. Sometimes it helps if I start over from scratch. And yes the time limit of a contest does wonders at times, thats why I really like those New user Contests

• KA1KA1 Posts: 1,012
    My renders used to take anywhere from hours to maybe a couple of days, as I've progressed that has progressed significantly with everything I've learnt!!

I entered a new user contest and ended up doing about 6-8 renders where only 1 was needed.  It was supposed to be based on a song, and I ended up doing a whole music video!

*sigh*

"Easily distracted" doesn't begin to cover it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3r02WPoB8

edited December 2015

Yes I remember you had a blast with that topic dHandle, as long as its fun for you there is nothing wrong with that.

This one was my ona and up to now only attempt at Iray which my computer is not equipped for and I'm not patient enough for. I guess I will return to trying around some with Iray but not any time soon. I'm totally unhappy the way the eyes looked in iray and I see that in other renders with iray  alot, so I guess it's the way eyes are supposed to look, but meh indecision

The render has some other problems as well which are not iray related but I still like the character. And he will return for more I believe

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/6c/af96a9329190d1da9e5387d66a943c.jpg

Shiro.jpg
    800 x 640 - 494K
    Another cracking render there Linwelly! I know what you mean about how eyes look in iRay, I often find hours of tweaking just to get a decent look for the eyes way after the rest of the scene is finished! So far seems to be okay for the anime style I'm using for NEO Crew!

Very nice, Lin!

Timely too...

I just finished watching a Jackie Chan movie with John Cusack and Adrien Brody as Romans.  Isn't it interesting where you get inspiration from...? 

I messed around with Iray back during the summer when I was off from school and had more time.  Got some decent results, too.  The problem is I don't want to part with a dollar to buy all the stuff that's needed to get quality renders.  Like you said...eyes..and then it's skin, then all the shaders for everything else.  I have so much to learn with 3Dlight that starting over...or rather..learning both at the same time seems like a stretch for me.

I've been thinking about going back through all of the monthly newbie contest topics, and learning what I can.  I started with lighting tonight.  With just a model and a backdrop, it's still possiblt to get decent results.

But I'm keeping an eye on this thread.  If you can do it, I can too!

(good motto huh?  No need to reinvent the wheel...just copy someone else's wheel!)

edited January 2016

A song for the new year... this one was my first entry in the RRRR contest which is great fun and everybody should try it. Standart is to randomly draw 4 items from your runtime and make a scene from that (you can add other items as you like) to a certain topic, that one was to be about "unlikely occupations" and has the title Captain Nemo's Apprentice. Its a good way to get to use some of the thing in your runtime you never even knew existed.

This render has so many flaws, I cant even get all, most important I totally forgot to put shadows on the lights... well beginners errors.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ba/5a33de41ed4056b0bc4890344651a2.jpg

Captain-Nemos-apprentice.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    edited January 2016

This guy was created for the new user contest with the focus portrait. I used a different camera view in the contest but I alway liked the version from the side as well. He is as almost all my men dialed in from g2m

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/2b/c940d1b57c94ecfd10916cbe027661.jpg

traveler-side.jpg
    800 x 640 - 430K
    Loving these, it's amazing what you can notice looking back at old work! That last dude is an amazing dial, he looks awesome....and not to be messed with!!
  • TeofaTeofa Posts: 823

Nice work on that character.

edited January 2016

That guy came back in this  render made for a challenge on dA. Gaming around with motion blurr on this one

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/ce/411a419105db23d4b53b3d7125452c.jpg

riding-the-storm.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 860K

I've had that fun little vehicle in my library a long time and never finished a render with it. Like your landscape a lot.

I love the motion blur effect you have here, not overstated, pretty much the exact amount required I'd say!! It's a fantastic image, really drew me in to the scene you've set to the extent I could feel my fear of heights rearing up. Your work is fantastic, really enjoying this thread :)

Teofa said:

I've had that fun little vehicle in my library a long time and never finished a render with it. Like your landscape a lot.

The vehicle was a freebie some time ago, was sitting unused for a long time with me as well but nagging.. The Landscape is the ground (pumped up like mad) from the Fantasy camp II (another freebie) where I replaced the diffuse map with the sandground texture from the beachvolleyball set. and the srormy clouds is the jpg of the cloud sphere dumped into a plane and given a bit of an off colour. So lots of kitbashing here.

KA1 said:

I love the motion blur effect you have here, not overstated, pretty much the exact amount required I'd say!! It's a fantastic image, really drew me in to the scene you've set to the extent I could feel my fear of heights rearing up. Your work is fantastic, really enjoying this thread :)

Thanks KA1, motion blurr is fun but a tricky bitch at times. I had that feeling some days ago with a render I saw on dA, I tried to find it again but I did't bookmark it, pity, really made me dizzie

edited January 2016

Giving a place to my fandom for the Lord of the Rings (the books) here is a render I made of my first true love Faramir, as I imagined him... Could never agree to the way he was presented in the movies, but I will not start a discussion about htat now.  Largely influenced by two artists working mainly with watercolours: Anke Katrin Eissmann and Jenny Dolfen, go and google them, they are awesome.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/99/69cd7249fee8e428e759b27f1e070e.jpg

Faramir.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 894K

Yes, it was hard to reconcile my mental pictures of LoTR after so many years of reading it, but still enjoyed the movie.

You are getting this Characterization thing really well.

edited January 2016

To catch up with the renders that got lost in the gallery mealstrom, this one was made for a challenge over at dA, called "crossing the river" and I'm still pretty proud the way this came out

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/af/56fd18b474c954044a33765f6a6b18.jpg

Crossing the river.jpg
    1200 x 742 - 653K
    edited January 2016

This latest reminds me of the opening of a Fever Ray video I liked a lot.

Post edited by Teofa on
    I can understand that! Such a beautiful render, with a serene and romantic feel to it, I LOVE this image! You're an inspiration @Linwelly :)
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Linwelly said:

Giving a place to my fandom for the Lord of the Rings (the books) here is a render I made of my first true love Faramir, as I imagined him... Could never agree to the way he was presented in the movies, but I will not start a discussion about htat now.  Largely influenced by two artists working mainly with watercolours: Anke Katrin Eissmann and Jenny Dolfen, go and google them, they are awesome.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/99/69cd7249fee8e428e759b27f1e070e.jpg

Really like this!  I too have trouble sometimes with how the movies don't match what's in my head from reading the book.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Linwelly said:

To catch up with the renders that got lost in the gallery mealstrom, this one was made for a challenge over at dA, called "crossing the river" and I'm still pretty proud the way this came out

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/af/56fd18b474c954044a33765f6a6b18.jpg

This is awesome!

• AtiAti Posts: 9,112
    Linwelly said:

This looks really nice!

• Linwelly said:

I really like what you did in this render.  It is so hard to get lighting right in dark scenes, but I think you did an excellent job.

Wow, thanks a lot, you all!

I had to make a little search for Fever Ray, interesting stuff, very mystical.

It is somewhat of an acquired taste.  I had a Finnish/Sami guildmate who introduced me to all that.  From Murmansk, actually.  I love how shared interests can shrink the world.

edited January 2016

The finnish people seem to have a lot of sense for the mystical it seems. There is a finnish comic artist Minna Sundberg who has one finished and one ongoing webcomic I follow. I really like her style and she weafes a lot of folklore and the like into her work.

This one was an attempt at creating a character of african origin, dialed in from g2f. Looking back there is still some work to be done to make the features work. The skin was made with the skin builder for genesis and g2f. I was and I still do lacking some good african curly hair. It was a complete different thing to make the lights work with the dark skin, will have to revisit her in time.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/8e/256e64d6bb0434cdad94a203b37cdc.jpg

i-dare-you.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 593K