The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825

Fixmypcmike said:

Gordig said:

Interesting story about Ketch, but there's no reason to believe that the Yiddish word kvetch, which only dates back to around 1950, was referring to a 17th-century British executioner, especially given that nothing about Ketch's story relates to the meaning of kvetch.

Its use as a verb in English only dates back to c1950. But still has nothing to do with Jack Ketch.

....but then theres "ketchup".. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,668

Korpin.Sulat said:

I think she's the first person to ever turn an NFL player into merely "so-and-so's boyfriend."

I believe Kim Kardashian holds that title.

• NylonGirl said:

Korpin.Sulat said:

I think she's the first person to ever turn an NFL player into merely "so-and-so's boyfriend."

I believe Kim Kardashian holds that title.

Ooh, you're right.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962

mine is because I have a seniors card and am not working 

(self funded retiree, not on benefits but would get a similar deal if I were just a different card)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

I went to a thrift store today and got 3 or 4 swimsuit tops and two bottoms.  I also found a lot of gret deals.

Sfariah D said:

I went to a thrift store today and got 3 or 4 swimsuit tops and two bottoms.  I also found a lot of gret deals.

so, you lose your tops a lot in the surf or something? 

edited February 16

WendyLuvsCatz said:

(self funded retiree, not on benefits but would get a similar deal if I were just a different card)

....maybe I need to suggest that to our transit system.    Retired here as well on a very meagre pension. It would make shopping trips to my preferred market easier. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

....maybe I need to suggest that to our transit system.    Retired here as well on a very meagre pension. It would make shopping trips to my preferred market easier. 

Until a month or two ago, the buses were free for everybody here. Then they announced the end of free buses with a bus driver on the news complaining about how the homeless people were riding the entire route and using the buses as a rolling airbnb or something like that. Then they made a big deal about our city getting a ferris wheel. Then everybody forgot about all that because some girl and her boyfriend and some big game and whatnot.

• NylonGirl said:

kyoto kid said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Until a month or two ago, the buses were free for everybody here. Then they announced the end of free buses with a bus driver on the news complaining about how the homeless people were riding the entire route and using the buses as a rolling airbnb or something like that. Then they made a big deal about our city getting a ferris wheel. Then everybody forgot about all that because some girl and her boyfriend and some big game and whatnot.

Oh, I think I've heard about those two. The girl's boyfriend's brother plays football, doesn't he?

Heard that they all went to see whatever game they play these days to try to compete with the Puppy Bowl.

edited February 16

now I am peeved

my new drive is exFAT and Voidtools Everything will not index it

smart content doesn't work so I can no longer browse my DAZ content!!!!!

trying the 1.5 alpha now which apparently has FAT drives added

update Alpha works

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

NylonGirl said:

kyoto kid said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

...yeah that's a big issue up here in Portland as well.  tends to be chronic on our light rail network as there are no turnstiles at the platforms at and no fare inspectors (we used to have them but I haven seen one for years even before the pandemic).  It also happens frequently on the one line that uses the longer "bendy" buses which have a middle and rear door as well.  A week ago Monday when I was on that route I counted about a half dozen people who boarded through the two rear doors without scanning a fare (when scanning the card the reader makes a distinctive  audible  sound that is easily heard),

From what I understand drivers are supposed to allow people board without a fare card to avoid any potential altercations as some operators have been assaulted ( this was the done during the pandemic but I guess they apparently they extended it). I wouldn't be surprised that this may have been the reason the fare increase was higher than originally announced as they mist be losing a lot of revenue.

Blando Calrissian said:

NylonGirl said:

kyoto kid said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh, I think I've heard about those two. The girl's boyfriend's brother plays football, doesn't he?

Heard that they all went to see whatever game they play these days to try to compete with the Puppy Bowl.

Ah yes... a few of our puppies were sad for a while because somebody really... really... rained on our parade. But we were able to make them feel better by opening the windows in the tour bus so they could all stick their heads out at the same time.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sfariah D said:

so, you lose your tops a lot in the surf or something? 

No, actually I picked out some more bottoms, but they were for kids so I didn't get them. 

I think I am on a downward slop of getting evicted.  This home isn't good for me.  They want me to move into a shared room and snap I am cured of all my mental health issues.  It isn't going to happen like that.

• Politness can kill, though, e.g. if you wave people to cross the street, and the Klaus guy just squashes them with the forklift, as if there was no rules.

<-- not sure what page that was supposed to be written on. It's like e0-40 pages further from last time i had a look.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,396

Complaint: We got some pretty white stuff that fell from the Sky. There were three inches of Snow, and schools closed due to the freezing temps and the Snow. The St Louis, Mo metro area shut down due to the "extreme weather." Highways clogged up due to CRASHES. Too cold to go to school. Today, the same temperature - 10c, 14f, three inches of Snow in the yard, and about an inch of ice on the roads.+ I had to go to the Pharmacy. Where outside Walgreens, I bought some Thin Mints and Somoas from the little Girl Scouts who didn't go to school yesterday, along with the parent who is a teacher. The only thing completely cleared of ice and Snow was the sidewalk. End Compliant.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,044
    edited February 17

Brilliant... My daughter gave me this mini glass breaker/seat belt cutter thing for the car... most of the glass breakers are hammer type tools with a very narrow point on the head, the idea being that the auto glass generally breaks easily when the impact is focused on a small area... which I can attest to, having had a large heavy crowbar repeatedly bounce off a window on a flipped car a while ago... while a small hand pick popped the glass with one strike...

Anyway... Apparently this thing was really cheap so she bought one for each of the cars, but she didn't know how it worked (which I wasn't fully aware of)... The thing is small, about the size of penlight and spring loaded... so she tells me "I think you pull this back (a black cap-like button) somehow and it loads the spring..." but she can't make it do that, and me being an idiot didn't listen to the part of my brain that instantly thought about how much it resembled a spring loaded center punch... which if you aren't familiar with the novel little device, is a tool for making a little starter divot in metal so the bit doesn't wander and you drill exactly where you need to... most of them have a point sticking out of handle and you push it against the surface and the heavy duty spring inside causes the point to pop forward with enough force to make a small divot in even fairly hard steel... 

This bore some resemblance to one, but not enough for the touchy grabby part of my brain to say "oh yeah, maybe that's a good point..." instead it was like "Yeah, whatever lookie thinkie brain part, I got this... me pull this... twist that... thing no work... "

I basically did something (by the way, WTF is "Woomer"?... I'll come back to this later)... I did something I consistently find annoying in other people...

People with brains and thinking stuff in their heads, and even framed certificates they hang on the walls that say their thinkie parts work super good... I basically, listened to the thing my daughter said and didn't think beyond that or extrapolate on that or ask why she thought that, I just went with "pull to load spring" which honestly made no sense because the thinkie part of my brain stuff said "stupid... the spring is super strong, that wouldn't work like that... " but touchie, grabby brain stuff part was like "Me pull! Why no work! If not work ME BITE!!"... I didn't get far enough to bite though that would have been interesting... instead, as I was trying all sorts of ways to get that stupid button to pull back, when apparently I pushed it in causing (you probably guessed where this was going) the steel spike inside to deploy with great (I'm currently still made of soft human flesh, not steel, so when I say "great" I mean GREAT) great force... into my stupid flesh thumb... 

To the credit of the thinkie stuff part of my brain, it did manage a nanosecond warning "BRO...WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOIN..." before touchie grabbie brain stuff part howled "Oooooo! Bad plastic think hurt thumb part! KILLLLL!!"... because as the button was depressed you could feel the trip point reached, yet touchie grabbie still didn't listen and pushed the rest of the way... 

Mind you, not only should I have recognized its similarity to a spring loaded center punch, I actually worked on some early prototypes for some spring loaded blood drawing lancets like diabetics use to test their blood... not only did I spend like a month on that project (but it was like twenty years ago) I recently was taking apart dozens of them that my mother in law had used, for the springs and some cool plastic parts inside... 

So... I totally should have seen that all a mile away...

But I did that thing that people who should know better do... you go to the doctor and they ask you what the problem is and you describe it and they focus on for god knows what reason on the least important or sensible or relevant part and that's where their brain starts formulating a solution... 

Lots of professional thinkie brain stuff people do that sometimes... and stupid things happen because of that...

I'm not thinkie brain stuff smart, but as I stated, I knew this stuff works like that and I still headed in that direction because "pull!...Pull NOT WORK!"...

So I ended up getting a high impact drywall screw sized diameter, quarter inch deep hole in my thumb because of that... if you think those lancet things hurt, try that with something meant to punch a hole in something a crowbar bounces off... but, if your goal is blood drawing, it's excellent for that... like you'll have so much extra blood lying around, dripping all over the sink and bathroom floor... it'll be great.

And that is why when you suspect someone who should know better, (or perhaps it might be you too) is running off in a thinkie direction that might not be the smartest one... it's best they stop and consider everything, all the evidence and all the details before pressing that black button in and getting the bad consequences stuff to be delivered...

I suppose that's a metaphor for giving advice or formulating solutions or just not getting stabbed with s**t... but whatever... I guarantee grabbie touchie brain part learned nothing from that and is still like "Why thumbie hurt?!?"

Bagh.

Oh yeah... I forgot... what is "Woomer"?... that's the word spellcheck turned "something" into back there... I swear, the algorithm that checks spelling is getting dumber or whatever magical tiny elves that live in my iPad that are responsible for correct spelling are on drugs or have a bad alcohol problem... I don't think I've ever written that word either, so it's not like when I write something and it changes it into some alien word I wrote six months ago... this is just tiny drunk magical elf bull***t... 

Post edited by McGyver on

I Googled it and am more perplexed

wink

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365
    edited February 17

@ McGyver: I don't play with pointy things anymore precisely because my thinkie, brainie parts get distracted too easily these days.  But I can still handle washing dishes, most of the time.yes

Complaint: I've fallen back into the habit of a daily picture puzzle on the computer.  I pick a small size that only takes about an hour, but arthritis in my mousing hand flared up a couple days ago.  Specifically my thumb from gripping the side of the mouse continuously as I move pieces around continually.  Tried to pick up a pan off the stove burner and nearly dropped when my thumb protested.no

This is also why I don't do much DAZing anymore either.  And why my posts are tending shorter than in the past.frown  The cold doesn't help either.  Sometimes I take to wearing gloves, or sticking my hands between my legs while watching TV, to keep them warm.

'Nother complaint:  Oh goodie!  My insurance company just sent me a letter saying that as of the end of January my eye surgeon is no longer a member of their group.  Of course now because of the rules of Social Security "Advantage Plans", I can't change insurance companies until the end of the year.  So, my advice to myself is to not poke things into my eye for a few months.indecision  And since my Urologist dropped the insurance company already, I find that I'm slowly becoming uninsured.  Well, at least not as well insured as I thought I was going to be for this year.  Grrr.....angry  But I can still break a leg or two, affordably.yes

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

@ McGyver:.. don't play with pointy things, particularly ones that are spring loaded or pneumatically driven.

@ LeatherGryphion  ...this is part of why I avoid the Medicare (Dis)Advantage plans.  They do things like this and then you are out in the cold having to pay big out of pocket costs or hoping the matter that was previously covered doesn't reoccur until you can switch carriers. This is a just one common complain about the programme.  You have a doctor you like who knows you, knows your background, your medical history and suddenly he or she is considered "out of network" *(a term these companied use). 

Yeah it's taking a chance I know, but having to already pay the monthly premium and in many cases adding onto it for an insurer that hooks people in then changes the conditions of the coverage like one changes socks is just poor service. 

Wow I just read what I wrote previously... like I'm pretty sure I say "like" entirely too often... also the coherence of that entire thing was almost absent... I was going to go back and edit that, but I'm pretty sure the grabbie, touchie part of my brain wrote that and I want everyone to know how dumb it is.

I'm going look up a Woomer in my copy of Floober's Galactopedia... I feel like it's probably some sort of small furry venomous marsupial-like thing that nests in shoes if you leave them unattended too long... probably very adorable until you get bitten and get Woomer hives... Still don't know why Apple would know about anything related to Floober's Galactopedia... especially not a copy from 1887.

On a dumber note... This guy:

And snow falling out in the ocean at sunset...

• Complaint: I've seen way, way too much of the inside of A&E waiting rooms recently.

Thursday I got a call from youngest daughter. She's had quite a lot of knee pain recently and went to her GP. The GP investigated, poked & prodded [with excruciating pain resulting] and gave her a letter of introduction to A&E, and phoned them up to let them know she was coming.

I was dragged out of work to take her & get her into the place with our wheelchair (bought for MIL). So, went to A&E and waited for 2 hours in their totally empty waiting room for triage. During that time at least 20 different medics (nurse or doctor I don't know) wandered through, some of them multiple times. And I do mean 'wandered', not urgent, having chats, laughing etc. Eventually she was called over, and told that on the basis of her letter - which the admin had seen two hours before, let's not forget - it was nothing to do with A&E and she should go to the hospital's onsite GP practice.

We went to the onsite GP practice, who did exactly the same painful checks her GP did, and confirmed the possible diagnosis of possible damaged cartilage and inflamed joint. They said she needed an MRI scan (which is what her own GP had said before sending her to hospital), but they couldn't book it as she was not on their books and it had to be booked through her GP. However, they gave her a set of crutches, a prescription for painkillers and wrote a letter to her GP...

A complete flaming runaround. The whole blinking exercise got us absolutely nowhere, and probably cost the NHS upwards of £200 from everyone who was involved. And while in the GP waiting room we heard at least 6 other patients who had exactly the same type of letter who were being given the same runaround. That in itself is probably wasting of the order of £2000 per day, assume 5 days a week & we're looking at over half a million quid a year wasted because the hospital & local GP's simply have zero knowledge or plan for how to deal with patients. The place is hemorrhaging money due to incompetent organization in this and every other contact I have had with the NHS. If I can see it as a user, why on earth can't the people there? For goodness sake..

Non complaint: We have been given sole custody of a pair of crutches for the princely sum of £4.40p (hospital parking charge).

Regards,

Richard 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

LeatherGryphon said:

'Nother complaint:  Oh goodie!  My insurance company just sent me a letter saying that as of the end of January my eye surgeon is no longer a member of their group.  Of course now because of the rules of Social Security "Advantage Plans", I can't change insurance companies until the end of the year.  So, my advice to myself is to not poke things into my eye for a few months.indecision  And since my Urologist dropped the insurance company already, I find that I'm slowly becoming uninsured.  Well, at least not as well insured as I thought I was going to be for this year.  Grrr.....angry  But I can still break a leg or two, affordably.yes

If you like, I know a really good Medicare consultant (who Medicare pays, so it doesn't cost you) who did a fantastic job for my mom, my mother-in-law, and myself.  She's also really good at finding ways to not have to wait a year to change plans. 

Sfariah D said:

I think I am on a downward slop of getting evicted.  This home isn't good for me.  They want me to move into a shared room and snap I am cured of all my mental health issues.  It isn't going to happen like that.

How can you be evicted from a place you can't leave?

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,619
    edited February 18

TJohn said:

I kept dozing off and on during the SupperBowl MMXXIV, and woke up with the impression that Taylor Swift™ somehow won the game.

(waves to all)

Late to the party but it's been an exhausting time, watching security cams for hours upon hours, catching a colony of cats. Rescuing kittens from light fixtures (and shower heads). Just did 4 visits to vets, with 5 upgraded TNRs this week, at 300 plus for 2 males and a higher hit for 3 females. 2 grand went poof. Anyway my dogs won the game, not Taylor.

Go Chiefs.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 285K
    Feral Dad.JPG
    1931 x 1085 - 300K
    2 Kittens Caught Sunday Night.JPG
    1812 x 1302 - 295K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on

....I was pulling for the team Nck the Dollphin picked 

Bagh... I just off the ferry from Connecticut... no car this time, left it in the "constitution state" with my daughter... 
    Which is not the complaint... it seems every time I go by myself it's super rough seas... 

Which isn't necessarily a complaint either... it's just now I'm off the ferry and I still feel like I'm rolling up and down.

I guess I got used to it, but now it's annoying.

I'm debating whether I can make it up the hill to the awful pizza place before my wife gets here...

Pizza is sounding good...

Actually, pizza shouldn't make sounds... conceptually it's seeming to be a good idea... but it's uphill and the pizza is pretty bad... and there are seagulls that I don't like here.. I just know I'm going to run into Dave... if you think regular seagulls are jerks, you should meet Dave.

Technically, I don't have to get pizza... there's a decent clam bar place across the street... it's more of a summertime vibe though... it's just weird to go in there in the winter...

Also it's expensive... places like that used to be cheap, but now even dive clam bars are expensive... 

Plus it's mostly outdoor seating and it's cold... I think a guy just got eaten by a polar bear outside...

Nope... that was just a lady in a puffy white coat... she didn't eat him, she just blocked my view and I don't have object permanence yet, so hence the confusion...

I honestly don't know why I'm narrating my thoughts as I sit here...

Well, there is the insanity thing, but otherwise it's all rather unnecessary...

Did I mention I'm sitting in the waiting are?

Probably not... my lack of object permanence probably interfered in that...

But... yeah... I can see the ferry from here... it keeps making this sound like the titanic made when it rubbed up against the big ice cube... I was making that sound every now and then when I was aboard, but I figured it was because I was there and I didn't have object permanence or there was a Kraken stuck to the hull...

Megh.. not my problem anymore...

I think I wasted too much time sitting here writing instead of getting food or yelling at Dave...

Dave's a seagull... did I mention that?... the guy checking tickets is named Dave too... 

or maybe it's Dan?... is Dan the seagull and Dave the ferry guy?

Crap... I just realized that coming here I payed the ferryman before he got me to the other side...

You know, that's a running bit in my family... every time we drive onto the ferry we have "Don't Pay The Ferryman" by Chris The Bird blasting on the stereo as we check in... and not ONCE has anyone acknowledged that clever musical choice...

Wait is Chris the seagull and Dan is the Ferry guy?

Whatever... you must be bored by now.

I wonder where that polar bear lady went...

Where did the ferry go?!?...

Oh I forgot I don't have object permanence, so while it may have just left or sunk, I'm baffled by the visual lack of ferryness.

Well... I'm gonna go... I'm guessing I should go outside and wait for my wife... plus there are two little kids who keep farting at each other and I'm feeling left out of that game...

Also I want to state that public flatulence by adults is nothing to be ashamed of... granted with moderation and discipline.

Well, that took a turn...

I'm gonna go now... bye.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Did you never have object permanence, or did you lose it at some point?

Or is the concept of object permanence technically an object, like a noun is grammatically a person, place, or thing?  In which case you probably don't know.

Wait, then how do we know if the death turkey is really gone or if, like, a bus drove by and just made the turkey no longer visible?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,396

Ah, the chaos of ever-changing rules. It's like trying to navigate a maze blindfolded. One minute, you think you've got it all figured out, and the next minute, the rules have changed, and you're back to square one.

It's like trying to play a board game where, at every turn, a new rule is added or taken away. "Okay, now you can only move three spaces instead of four. Wait, now you have to roll two dice instead of one. And don't forget, you must say 'banana' every time you roll a six." It's enough to make you flip the board and call it a day.

And keep me from starting on workplace rules. One day, it's "Casual Fridays are allowed," and the next, it's "Actually, we've decided on business casual every day of the week." It's like trying to dress for a wedding where the dress code changes every five minutes. "Oh, you thought it was a black tie? Nope, it's Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops now."

At least we can find some humor in the chaos, right? One day, we'll look back at all these ever-changing rules and laugh. Or we'll need clarification. Either way, it's a wild ride.

This discussion has been closed.