The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,668

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: My Samsung 75" TV tells me to check the Invisible connection, So I look and Look and still can't see the dang thing. I can see all the visible ones, but the invisible one still eludes my eyesight.

Have you tried just licking around and seeing if anything invisible tastes good? 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,365
    edited February 13

Complaint:  Time marches on:  It was in 2019 that I was finally financially secure enough again to experiment with building my own PC.  After a few regrettable purchases & mismatches & even more upgrades, by the end of 2022 I'd found that I'd created three thoroughly "modern" machines (Momma Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby bear) to replace my gaggle of ancient off-the-shelf machines (now retiring in comfort, or buried).  Today, while perusing the daily ad from NewEgg and drooling at the new 18TB drives, blisteringly fast DDR5 memories, $500 CPUs, $1000 graphics cards, 1200w power supplies and $400 motherboards, I realized that parts of my little family of Bears are now 5 years old.surprise  Fortunately, I see no advantage to any upgrading of my already overkill machines, yet.indecision  (*sigh*) No shopping for LG today.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: My Samsung 75" TV tells me to check the Invisible connection, So I look and Look and still can't see the dang thing. I can see all the visible ones, but the invisible one still eludes my eyesight.

Have you tried just licking around and seeing if anything invisible tastes good? 

Yes, but the other people on the subway were looking at me strangely.indecision 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,396

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Why, Yes, it was a shocking experience. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,962

AgitatedRiot said:

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

and you needed Degaussing 

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,897

McGyver said:

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

I was doing a German class on Duolingo.  I needed to finish the sentence. Der ____ ist ein Schauspieler.  The options were Salat or Mann.  Of course, I chose "Salat" not Mann.

Why would you think a salad is an actor??? Or have you been watching too many commercials?

My Grandmother used to say "Die Worte eines Salats mögen die Ohren beruhigen, aber vertraue niemals darauf, dass der Kopfsalat dem Drehbuch folgt."... But I think it's more of a metaphor that you shouldn't hire a head of lettuce as the lead role in an important play or a complicated one like Shakespeare's Hamlet... but recently lettuce have been able to outlast heads of state, so who knows what modern lettuce are capable of?

laugh laughlaugh

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,396

WendyLuvsCatz said:

AgitatedRiot said:

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

and you needed Degaussing 

I needed the gauze bandages, though.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,378
    edited February 14

McGyver said:

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

I was doing a German class on Duolingo.  I needed to finish the sentence. Der ____ ist ein Schauspieler.  The options were Salat or Mann.  Of course, I chose "Salat" not Mann.

Why would you think a salad is an actor??? Or have you been watching too many commercials?

My Grandmother used to say "Die Worte eines Salats mögen die Ohren beruhigen, aber vertraue niemals darauf, dass der Kopfsalat dem Drehbuch folgt."... But I think it's more of a metaphor that you shouldn't hire a head of lettuce as the lead role in an important play or a complicated one like Shakespeare's Hamlet... but recently lettuce have been able to outlast heads of state, so who knows what modern lettuce are capable of?

That's a low blow to a poor soggy island in a big wet ocean. Personally I think the future may be orange. Bottle orange, not real orange. And definitely not trussed up by unwanted restraining fetters (or fettuchini for that matter). Orange rights are a trump card to play in any game of risk, but maybe lettuces are a better bet.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Lettuce prey.indecision

is Facebook down?

• NathNath Posts: 2,748

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is Facebook down?

Seems that way, yes:  Facebook down? Current problems and status. | Downdetector

Nath said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is Facebook down?

Seems that way, yes:  Facebook down? Current problems and status. | Downdetector

thanks, I have sometimes been the only one with the issue so good to know yes 

edited February 14

Nath said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is Facebook down?

Oh no!  The Internet has been defaced surprise

Non-complaint:  Oh joy, oh joy, it's laundry day again.  Wheee..., and a bus ride, breakfast at BurgerKing, a drugstore browse, a real grocery store with Folger's decaf instant coffee, and a brisk walk in frigid air, and an Uber ride.  My life is so full.indecision

Complaint:  I ate the last of my final batch of cookies.  The whole process has again taught me that cookies make me fat.  It'll take me at least 2 weeks to shed the extra 3 pounds.frown

it's back

richardandtracy said:

McGyver said:

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

That's a low blow to a poor soggy island in a big wet ocean. Personally I think the future may be orange. Bottle orange, not real orange. And definitely not trussed up by unwanted restraining fetters (or fettuchini for that matter). Orange rights are a trump card to play in any game of risk, but maybe lettuces are a better bet.

Regards,

Richard

It had call! For the sweet was sad, but the potato. He endorses my feet and buffaloes my wings!

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

it's back

All good things must come to an end.

NylonGirl said:

richardandtracy said:

McGyver said:

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

Regards,

Richard

It had call! For the sweet was sad, but the potato. He endorses my feet and buffaloes my wings!

Ha!  Yay for BI.  Let's see AI come up with that one! cheeky

(BI: Biological Intelligence)

edited February 14

LeatherGryphon said:

NylonGirl said:

richardandtracy said:

McGyver said:

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

Regards,

Richard

Ha!  Yay for BI.  Let's see AI come up with that one! cheeky

(BI: Biological Intelligence)

I thought of you when I saw this video:

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,951

Happy Valentine's Day!

edited February 14

Thanks for the state-of-coffee tutorial.yes

And speaking of coffee, my trip to the real grocery store today did not find any Folger's instant decaf coffee.sad  However, I had been considering trying Nescafe's "Taster's Choice" instant decaf.  But via Amazon, it is even more expensive than Folgers.  But today I saw a jar of the Taster's Choice instant decaf in the store and decided to try it.  After my first cup of it, I've decided that yes, it's at least as good as my favorite Folger's(no blechy chemical taste), but the $12.99 price tag is a fly-in-the-ointment.  And the jar is 7 ounces instead of the 8 ounces in a Folger's jar.  So, less coffee for more money.frown  But on the other hand, you'd have to strap me down and force feed me Maxwell House instant.(either regular or decaf *blech*)cheeky  I wouldn't make this such a big deal except that I'm trying to limit myself to only one cup of proper coffee with caffeine per day (too much makes my heart dance in a dangerous way).  Thus my focus on decaffeinated coffee for the other 2 or 3 during the rest of the day. 

And yes, I do sometimes substitute tea (either regular or decaf) for coffee.  I like either Oolong or Earl Grey

Yeah, yeah, I could drink hot water instead of coffee, but my life is dull enough as it is.indecision  But at least I don't drink sugar saturated carbonated beverages at all anymore.yes

today I learned the origin of the term Kvetch many of you use

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,646

Interesting story about Ketch, but there's no reason to believe that the Yiddish word kvetch, which only dates back to around 1950, was referring to a 17th-century British executioner, especially given that nothing about Ketch's story relates to the meaning of kvetch.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited February 15

Gordig said:

Interesting story about Ketch, but there's no reason to believe that the Yiddish word kvetch, which only dates back to around 1950, was referring to a 17th-century British executioner, especially given that nothing about Ketch's story relates to the meaning of kvetch.

Its use as a verb in English only dates back to c1950. But still has nothing to do with Jack Ketch.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on

ah well, but I too would whinge if the executioner kept missing my neck with the axe and getting my shoulder 

• NathNath Posts: 2,748

Fixmypcmike said:

Gordig said:

It's use as a verb in English only dates back to c1950. 

As far as I could find it's a Yiddisch word in origin. Interesting video though! 

and American too which is why I never heard it anywhere else

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825

TJohn said:

I kept dozing off and on during the SupperBowl MMXXIV, and woke up with the impression that Taylor Swift™ somehow won the game.

(waves to all)

...I like the "™" after Swift's name. 

Interesting "sideline" to her trip back to the States for the big game to see her sweetie play. Swift is known to have her own private just but claimed it isn't as fast as the one she hired for the trip from Tokyo to Los Angeles.  Instead she hired a long range Bombardier Global 6000 (which has a range of 6,900 miles),as well as had a had a second one on standby (codenamed Backup Quarterback) just in case there were any last minute issues with the first one.

It was not disclosed how she travelled from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.

The other reason she may have did this is because her jet has a distinctive and known (possibly publicised) signal that shows up on the Flight Aware tracker app.  The charter service assigned codenames to the two jets she hired to throw people off who may attempt to track her.  

• I think she's the first person to ever turn an NFL player into merely "so-and-so's boyfriend."

oh how lovely indecision

at least I can catch busses and trains for free around Adelaide devil

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825

...wish it was free to ride where I live, last month our transit commission raised fares.  They originally announced that the "old folks'" fare only going to be increased by 5¢ but when they implemented the change it went up 15¢.  May not sound like much but when one is on a meagre pension, it adds up.  Also makes figuring out how much to put on the card a bit more challenging (the old fare was 1.25$ which was easy to calculate)..

This discussion has been closed.