[Released] RSSY Character And Material Conversion Bundle Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

Keiron said:

Keiron said:

Hi RiverSoftArt

Custom conversions

I though Id try one of these

I tried the Rapter and the Manticore

I added the gen 9 figure and the Rapter selected both in the scene

The male figure converted OK, but in the cases above the textures were a mess? the morphs look ok

I assume the add on like horns extra legs etc are untouched. I added the fur, tail, mane etc to the converted one before saving

Was the material suit option on and added?

Yes, the add-ons will not be converted.

Hi I haven't turned anything off, I bought the whole set, so I thought they would just work together. The Genesis 8 conversions are mainly OK, Genesis 8.1 has problems with the textures on the head and upper back seams on some models

I also tried the scorpion and re added the legs claws etc Had an issue here as I couldn't hide or delete the Genesis 9 legs. I can only hide them on the Genesis 8 and 8.1 figure not delete them but the come back after conversion

Keep up the good work

Extreme morphs with add ons will not work.  I am going to look at G8.1 this weekend.  It could be loading the wrong material suit (G8 vs G8.1) and then the UVs are different.

• rorronlinerorronline Posts: 12

ok so you said to get file path from parameter settings then delete affending morph. But what if the parameter has no file pathing listed? The name entry also seems to be malformed or missing.

rorronline said:

ok so you said to get file path from parameter settings then delete affending morph. But what if the parameter has no file pathing listed? The name entry also seems to be malformed or missing.

I am away from my Daz computer, but perhaps no path is showing because you are pulling up the properties for 2 morphs? Based on the png path, the morph is probably in My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/Mousso/Miriam

• KeironKeiron Posts: 413
    edited June 2023

HI crashworship

A few pointers

I would recommend you convert one figure at a time and only normal genesis figures to start with

With that figure loaded, select it, select all from the parameters tab

There is an issue with most nail morphs so from the parameters tab search nail,  I dial these out first if they are not 0

There is an issue with HD morphs so from the parameters tab search HD,  I dial these out next if they are not 0

The eyelashes are currently a problem, for now I've replaced them with the genesis 9 ones from the Anatomy tab

If your model is still in trouble, clear the search tab in parameters ensure All is selected, use the page up and down to look through the morphs, dial out anything that is not 0, excluding the converted model, some of these might need dialing out a bit

If it's good to go, save the model to load in the future

To change textures ensure you don't have show sub items selected as the model is genesis 9 but you can use Genesis 8 textures

In the parameter search type in model name as this saves you a bit of time looking through loads of textures

Select RSSI Genesis Eye suit from the scene tab to change the eye materials

Select RSSI Genesis Mouth suit from the scene tab to change the Mouth materials

Select RSSI Genesis male - female  suit from the scene tab to change the body materials

Hope that helps

Post edited by Keiron on
  • crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 208
    No, it is about looking at the *converted* character.  Look at its morphs and dial out the bad ones.

This conversion is easily the worse of all the character converters.  G9 is so different in size and shape that it required doing things that make the conversion hard and you will get issues.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that. For the record, I'm seriously underwhelmed with Gen 9. Very seriously underwhelmed. But, like it or not, it's the present and the future. I've invested so much in my previous Daz characters and relative content that I have to find a way to make the continue to be relevant or I've wasted all of that part of my library. That would be a huge chunk of acquired content that would just be background filler from now on if I can't make it compatible with Gen 9.

Keiron said:

HI crashworship

A few pointers

I would recommend you convert one figure at a time and only normal genesis figures to start with

With that figure loaded, select it, select all from the parameters tab

There is an issue with most nail morphs so from the parameters tab search nail,  I dial these out first if they are not 0

There is an issue with HD morphs so from the parameters tab search HD,  I dial these out next if they are not 0

The eyelashes are currently a problem, for now I've replaced them with the genesis 9 ones from the Anatomy tab

If your model is still in trouble, clear the search tab in parameters ensure All is selected, use the page up and down to look through the morphs, dial out anything that is not 0, excluding the converted model, some of these might need dialing out a bit

If it's good to go, save the model to load in the future

To change textures ensure you don't have show sub items selected as the model is genesis 9 but you can use Genesis 8 textures

In the parameter search type in model name as this saves you a bit of time looking through loads of textures

Select RSSI Genesis Eye suit from the scene tab to change the eye materials

Select RSSI Genesis Mouth suit from the scene tab to change the Mouth materials

Select RSSI Genesis male - female  suit from the scene tab to change the body materials

Hope that helps

Thanks for helping @Keiron smiley

crashworship said:

No, it is about looking at the *converted* character.  Look at its morphs and dial out the bad ones.

This conversion is easily the worse of all the character converters.  G9 is so different in size and shape that it required doing things that make the conversion hard and you will get issues.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see that. For the record, I'm seriously underwhelmed with Gen 9. Very seriously underwhelmed. But, like it or not, it's the present and the future. I've invested so much in my previous Daz characters and relative content that I have to find a way to make the continue to be relevant or I've wasted all of that part of my library. That would be a huge chunk of acquired content that would just be background filler from now on if I can't make it compatible with Gen 9.

As a PA, I go where Daz wants me to go smiley  I still have a ton of great G3 and G8 content, and for the right scenes, I still use them unconverted or sometimes converted.

RiverSoftArt said:

rorronline said:

I am away from my Daz computer, but perhaps no path is showing because you are pulling up the properties for 2 morphs? Based on the png path, the morph is probably in My Library/data/Daz 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/Mousso/Miriam

Do you know what causes two copies to be produced during conversion?

another query, i am sure it has been mentioned adn addressed but honestly i am not going to scour 14 pages of stuff.

i have quite a few characters with this issue, when i dial in just the head morph it will morph the body as well morph values that are nothign to do with the original character morph. Body morph is great but not the head.

rorronline said:

RiverSoftArt said:

rorronline said:

Do you know what causes two copies to be produced during conversion?

If, for some reason, the vendor and product name is reported differently from the Daz Database, you could get two copies.  Also, if you changed the output directory between executions, it could output to different root directories.

rorronline said:

another query, i am sure it has been mentioned adn addressed but honestly i am not going to scour 14 pages of stuff.

i have quite a few characters with this issue, when i dial in just the head morph it will morph the body as well morph values that are nothign to do with the original character morph. Body morph is great but not the head.

Do you have the latest update?  It is more forgiving in using FHM or "Head" to identify a head morph.  If the script cannot recognize a morph as a head morph, it cannot restrict its effects to just the head.  If you check the log after a conversion, you can find where the script identifies which morphs it is converting are head morphs, body morphs, or other.

After some trial and error experimentation, I've been able to get this to work now with removing the offending applied morphs to the converted figure. The issue I'm having now is getting conforming footwear to work. I've tried G9 footwear. Doesn't work, at all. Okay, so maybe G8 footwear? Doesn't work either using the "fit to..." conforming footwear template. Tried applying the shoes to the converted character itself. Nope, doesn't work. Tried applying the footwear to the material suit. Didn't work either.

In all instances, the footwear is moderately to severely distorted. I've scanned this now rather long thread looking for anyone who might have discussed this already and haven't seen anything but it is a long thread so I might have missed it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

crashworship said:

After some trial and error experimentation, I've been able to get this to work now with removing the offending applied morphs to the converted figure. The issue I'm having now is getting conforming footwear to work. I've tried G9 footwear. Doesn't work, at all. Okay, so maybe G8 footwear? Doesn't work either using the "fit to..." conforming footwear template. Tried applying the shoes to the converted character itself. Nope, doesn't work. Tried applying the footwear to the material suit. Didn't work either.

In all instances, the footwear is moderately to severely distorted. I've scanned this now rather long thread looking for anyone who might have discussed this already and haven't seen anything but it is a long thread so I might have missed it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

All the footwear should be G9 since this is a G9 figure.  If you are using the material suit, try fitting it to the RSSY Genesis 8 Female Suit.  Also, add a smoothing modifier to the footwear

RiverSoftArt said:

crashworship said:

All the footwear should be G9 since this is a G9 figure.  If you are using the material suit, try fitting it to the RSSY Genesis 8 Female Suit.  Also, add a smoothing modifier to the footwear

The footwear, and I admit I don't have a lot of G9 footwear, is for G9. I've tried fitting it to both the base figure and the material suit. I haven't tried smoothing yet. Truth be told, this is all just experimentation for the time being. I'm not really all that interested in G9 and don't plan on using the characters any time soon. This is, at the moment, merely a learning process.

crashworship said:

RiverSoftArt said:

crashworship said:

The footwear, and I admit I don't have a lot of G9 footwear, is for G9. I've tried fitting it to both the base figure and the material suit. I haven't tried smoothing yet. Truth be told, this is all just experimentation for the time being. I'm not really all that interested in G9 and don't plan on using the characters any time soon. This is, at the moment, merely a learning process.

Ok, well fitting it to the mat suit and then doing a smoothing modifier helps me.  When you get back to it, try it.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,688
    edited June 2023

Hi River! Thanks for the product, it's very helpful :)
    I am running into a slight problem with the eyebrows, tear, mouth and eyes though. (see screenshot)
    The eyescript helps with the eyes, but the other parts stay in the wrong place.
    The PDF does address this:

With extreme head morphs, the convert scene character conversion process can leave the Genesis 9 Eyebrows, Eyelashes, and Tears in the wrong place after conversion. Load the Genesis 9 character into a new scene to fix this

I restarted DAZ and the morph is there but even though I reload G9 into a new scene, the unwanted morphs are still applied.
    I am pretty sure I am missing a step, but where?
    Thanks in advance for your time!

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • I can't wait until we get something that will transfer the Genesis 9 materials as best it can to the G8 models! Still thanks for making this!
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    Sylvan said:

I am running into a slight problem with the eyebrows, tear, mouth and eyes though. (see screenshot)

With extreme head morphs, the convert scene character conversion process can leave the Genesis 9 Eyebrows, Eyelashes, and Tears in the wrong place after conversion. Load the Genesis 9 character into a new scene to fix this

I restarted DAZ and the morph is there but even though I reload G9 into a new scene, the unwanted morphs are still applied.

In that case, I suggest deleting the eyelash etc. Morphs and letting them auto generate. You can see morphs of conformers to delete them by checking Show Hidden in your Parameters tab. If that doesn't help I'm afraid neither autoconform nor the script can help.
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,688

SickleYield said:

Sylvan said:

In that case, I suggest deleting the eyelash etc. Morphs and letting them auto generate. You can see morphs of conformers to delete them by checking Show Hidden in your Parameters tab. If that doesn't help I'm afraid neither autoconform nor the script can help.

Thank you! I will have a go at it. My original character is using like a million morphs, so I am guessing that is asking a bit too much :) 
    I might dial back on the eye morphs and use G9 morphs to dial them back in to create a likeness.

• starboysfstarboysf Posts: 9

I have not been able to successfully convert any G8 or G8.1 characters to G9, despite multiple attempts. I keep receiving a pop-up message stating:

"Failed to save Morph Asset(s). See the log for more details."  

When checking the log, I see: 

[WARNING] :: /src/sdksource/fileoutput/dzassetoutfile.cpp(650): Failed to create file path.
    [WARNING] :: /src/pluginsource/DzAssetIOFilters/dzmorphsupportassetfilter.cpp(936): Failed to write Morph Asset(s).

I am using a Mac laptop with MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.  I've attempted to set my output path to both a folder on my network drive as well as one on my local desktop, with the same results. 

Happy to provide any additional information or run some more test conversions. 

Thanks for any help!

edphamola said:

I wondered if these morphs could be carried over to the converted character.

https://www.daz3d.com/skin-folds--creases-hd-for-genesis-3--8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-natural-bend-morphs-for-genesis-8-and-81-female-20

Thank you very much

No, these are not a good fit for the converter.  Small, localized morphs tend to not convert well unfortunately.

starboysf said:

I have not been able to successfully convert any G8 or G8.1 characters to G9, despite multiple attempts. I keep receiving a pop-up message stating:

[WARNING] :: /src/sdksource/fileoutput/dzassetoutfile.cpp(650): Failed to create file path.
    [WARNING] :: /src/pluginsource/DzAssetIOFilters/dzmorphsupportassetfilter.cpp(936): Failed to write Morph Asset(s).

I am using a Mac laptop with MacOS Ventura 13.4.1.  I've attempted to set my output path to both a folder on my network drive as well as one on my local desktop, with the same results. 

Thanks for any help!

Strange.  Are you using the latest version?

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

Thanks for any help!

I'm on Daz Studio 4.21.0.5. I don't see a version number listed for the character converter when the setup screen pops up, but I installed it using DIM and am current on all available product updates through DIM. 

starboysf said:

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

Thanks for any help!

I'm on Daz Studio 4.21.0.5. I don't see a version number listed for the character converter when the setup screen pops up, but I installed it using DIM and am current on all available product updates through DIM. 

What are the Content directory manager settings for you?  Here are mine:

This specifies the directory the character morphs will go in.   Also, can I see more of the log when running the conversion?  There must be other messages.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited July 2023

Not sure if it has been asked in this thread...can anybody tell me where the custom character script outputs? I'd like to locate what it output so I can delete it...tried to convert an 8.1 custom character that turned into quite the monstrosity. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

MelissaGT said:

Not sure if it has been asked in this thread...can anybody tell me where the custom character script outputs? I'd like to locate what it output so I can delete it...tried to convert an 8.1 custom character that turned into quite the monstrosity. 

See previous post.  Wherever that is, plus data/Daz 3D/morphs/Genesis 9/Base/... (I think.  this is from memory as I am not at the Daz computer).  But the morph .dsf are there.  You can also use the setting properties on the morphs to find their location when they are loaded in the scene.

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

Thanks for any help!

This specifies the directory the character morphs will go in.   Also, can I see more of the log when running the conversion?  There must be other messages.

Problem solved!  I double-checked my settings in the Content Directory Manager and realized that I had an old directory path still showing at the top of the 'DAZ Studio Formats' section. I thought I cleaned that all up after migrating everything to a new drive, but apparently not! Once removed, I was able to convert a default 8/8.1 character as well as one that had been customized a bit.  

Thanks for the help!

starboysf said:

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

RiverSoftArt said:

starboysf said:

Thanks for any help!

Problem solved!  I double-checked my settings in the Content Directory Manager and realized that I had an old directory path still showing at the top of the 'DAZ Studio Formats' section. I thought I cleaned that all up after migrating everything to a new drive, but apparently not! Once removed, I was able to convert a default 8/8.1 character as well as one that had been customized a bit.  

Thanks for the help!

Awesome!  I am glad you got it working.

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

This seems to be an issue that many have run into.

Converted the Aiko 8 as a test (vanilla no customisation):

Scale = -30000 (roughly)

Transform =  under the floor

I can manualy change the scale & transform values (annoying) but the overall body is deformed badly.

Sorry but the forum refuses to allow me to attach files so I cannot supply a pic.