[Released] RSSY Character And Material Conversion Bundle Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

XiousDs said:

RiverSoftArt said:

XiousDs said:

Just as a note.  When I try to convert StorybookFrog, I also end up with the baboon eyes showing up as a converted morph.  One of the other folks mentioned a character showing that it used Baboon eyes morph, so I thought it would be relavent to let you know that I also see that occurring.

I got tired of this stupid morph giving me support nightmares so the next update will screen baboon eyes iris out.

Just want to say you are doing a great job.  I am sure this is very frustrating, but I am sure all of us greatly appreciate.  Thank you.

You're welcome!  Thank you for your support.

Keiron said:

Hi

Cleared out Daz Studio log file

Then converted denton log file attached

If this is because of the textures, thanks to you I noticed a bug that crept in on the G8M material suits. The name for the G8 (not G8.1) Male Body suit is "RSSY Genesis 8 Male Suit.duf" The script is looking for "RSSY Genesis 8 Male Body Suit.duf" as that is the convention for "RSSY Genesis 8 Female Body Suit", "RSSY Genesis 8.1 Female Body Suit", and ""RSSY Genesis 8.1 Male Body Suit". We will submit a patch, in the meantime you should rename the body suit so that the CC script can find it. 

Eboshijaana said:

RiverSoftArt said:

XiousDs said:

Just as a note.  When I try to convert StorybookFrog, I also end up with the baboon eyes showing up as a converted morph.  One of the other folks mentioned a character showing that it used Baboon eyes morph, so I thought it would be relavent to let you know that I also see that occurring.

I got tired of this stupid morph giving me support nightmares so the next update will screen baboon eyes iris out.

I admit I don't know much about PA interaction etiquette, but it shouldn't be your job to handle the mistakes of another PA.

Regardless, since this is relevant; Anyone who has Chimera from Joe Quick should check their G8-1 is not accidentally triggering a Chimera mouth morph when G81male's mouth is opened wide.

I try to make the script robust enough to handle unusual cases, but there are 1000s of characters... surprise  I learn more about DS every day; I hadn't known until this product about how tricky it could be pulling in the iris.

RexRed said:

XiousDs said:

RexRed said:

RiverSoftArt said:

RexRed said:

Okay, I love the way the converter creates the new Gen 9 clone of the Gen 8 figure.

I had a problem with Roy's texture would not load onto the Body suit. I got a character error.

But i just loaded Roy and copied his surface material and pasted it to the body suit and fixed.

So, I feel like every conceivable issue I have had has been addressed, except for two.

The top eyelash which has not been a huge deal because Gen 9 has great eyelashes and textures.

The only lingering problem is eye size. 

It seems there should be a script to fit the eye into the sockets of a morphed figure.

But it is not a big problem doing it manually.

The issue is I need to resize the eye 25 to 50% above the 100% to get it to fit and this leaves me with a large eye image map.

How do I make the image smaller other than going into photoshop and doing that manually. 

If Photoshop is the only answer, then I would request a script to auto fit the eyes and a script to give us a slider for eye map size.

And offset and tiling does not work.

I am not sure I understand.  The eye dialog scales and moves the eyes if you need it.  (This is one of the things that make converting to G9 a PITA.  The eyes have a separate morph, named the same, to make them fit within the G9 head)  This should not affect the surface at all.

I have no eye dialogue checkbox that I can see.

For every figure that I have converted (except for Michael 8.1) the eyes are considerably smaller than the eye socket.

I have to manually resize the eyeballs and move them outward from the nose.

When they get resized at it makes the eye texture on the eyes get bigger also.

The eyes come in at 100% size and I have to resize them anywhere from 125% to even 140% so there are no spaces on each side between the eye and the socket.

When I resize the eyeballs The texture on the eyeballs gets larger as well.

The texture is then too big to look realistic in most cases. 

I cannot find how to invoke the eye dialogue.

I cannot find eye morphs for the eyes either. 

Did you look over the Character Converter G9 User Manual?  On page 4, the 4th bullet is "Eye Dialog".

On the Character Converter tool, you have a tab section called Convert.  It is the first tab.  On that tab, you have a Character Files section.  That is the section which shows which files you are trying to convert.  In that section there are 4 columns.  The first is "Type", the second is "Filename", and the third is "Eye Dialog".  To enable the Eye Dialog section of conversion you must double click on the cell empty space intersecting between character row in question and the "Eye Dialog" column.  It does not show up like a check box.  It is just an empty space.  When you double click it, an "X" will appear in the empty space of the "Eye Dialog" column showing you the option is enabled.  When you double click it again, the "X" will be removed disabling the option and leaving the space empty again.

That was very helpful XiousDs while I have been trying to fix this, I found that out about the adding the x to add the eye dialogue box while perusing the manual again.

I am trying that to see if the eye textures are sized correctly now. The eye dialogue box is great!

Thank you very much for your help, that was very kind. yes

Thank you for helping each other.  I need the help! laugh

XiousDs said:

A weird thing with the Baboon for G8M.  I loaded it into an empty scene, went to parameters, and clicked on all.  The BaboonG8M-IrisSize shows up at 100%.  When you reduce it to 0% it increases the size of the Iris on the character, so the morph shrinks the Iris when applied.  On G8M Baboon it is applied at 100% by default.  So I expected when I went to "Currently Used" it would show up as one of the currently used morphs, but it does not show up.

Baboon 8 shows ups at 100%.
    In addition, eyelashes Curl, Eyelashes Length Lower, Eyelashes Length Upper, torsoNewCurves4, BeardCurves, maneBack, and ManeFrontCurves all show up at 100% on the Baboon, in currently used, but the Iris morph does not show up at all, even though it is being used.  I don't understand that.  I thought if a morphs was applied in any form, then it should show up in currently used.  Not certain if this is has something to do with why this morph seems to be causing problems with Gen 9 conversions.

I am going to test removing baboon for now to see if that has any positive affect on running the converter.

Update: I uninstalled Baboon, and deleted the eye and character morphs so that when I tried to find the morphs they did not show up.  I could not find any file for them also where they had been located on my harddrive.  I ran a test conversion again, and the storybook frog still showed up with Baboon iris.  I looked again and could not find any files for it.  I decided to try restarting DAZ.  After doing so, but after I redeleted the newly created morphs, it proceeded to create the base morph but without creating the Baboon Iris morph.  Baboon did not create any major distortion that I can tell other than slight head size change.  However, I wanted others who might read this that they likely need to restart daz after whacking an offending morph or somehow it still may be stuck in memory for the script, Daz Studio, or something like that.

Generally, if you create a new scene, Daz throws away the morphs in memory.  You shouldn't have to restart.

necroscension said:

Possible issue...

I'm noticing, at least with the males, that if the character preset does not name the model in the Scene tab (figure is named the default ["Genesis 8 Male" or "Genesis 8.1 Male"] instead of the character name,[such as "Roy for G8M"]), the resulting controller made is named either "Unknown Genesis 8 Male" or "Male 8_1". The model that loads however will have the converted model's name. The issue becomes that if another character is converted that wasn't named in the scene tab, the new controller overwrites the previous controller so that all converted models using that controller load as the last converted character for that model (G8M or G8.1M).

At some point the character is being "re-named" for the Scene tab. Can this name update the default name used for building the controller?

Yes, this is a known issue.  The script looks at the name of the character it loads (not the filename) to create the controller.  That controller can get trounced in situations you describe and is not something I can prevent (you could be reconverting a character).  Thankfully, few PAs do such a thing.  If you notice a converted character has such a name, I would rename that controller morph filename before converting other characters.  Unfortunately, that means you will need to edit the character preset to also load your new controller name though.

XiousDs said:

Another little bit of info.  I find that mesh grabber seems to work fine on gen 9, but after running a conversion on one character to another character, mesh grabber is all messed up when using it on the newly converted character.  Example, selecting G8M Storybook Frog can be selected fine with mesh grabber.  Gen 9 figure can have surfaces selected fine as well.  After attempting to run a conversion on story book frog, the surface acts super weird so that if you try selecting an edge or vertice on the right leg, it might select a section on the left leg.  If you try selecting a spot on the head, it might select a spot on his lower stomache. 

Story book frog has a weird bone structure in the feet?  Can weird rigging/bone placement potentially negatively affect how the mesh gets pulled about on the feed? 

I think this is about the Transfer Utility step in the conversion.  When TU looks to transfer over a morph, it is all about nearest vertices that have moved and things like that.  When a PA does a huge transformation of a character (JoeQuick), it makes the wrong guess as things have moved so much.

As complexity test on Storybook Frog for the conversion tool, I tried first running decimator to reduce it to 50%.  This still resulted in a pretty good shape, but appeared to reduce some of the complexity in the toes shape especially around the nails.  I then saved the character as a preset to my custom folder.  I then ran the tool against the exported/decimated 50% decimated figure.  Most everything was good except still massive spikey pancake feet.  So reducing the vertice count of the model does not seem to work for the feet.

RexRed said:

I can't get the search to work in the character converter or the clothing converter.

I type in the word "boots" or "viking" and sometimes it takes me to v's I would think it would search the file names and narrow down the options listed with that word in the file name.

I have nearly 10,000 Daz assets. and not being able to search for a keyword and refine the items listed is very difficult.

The search looks for the FIRST item in the list (in the filename column) that contains the string of characters.  Depending on which column is being used to sort the list, this can change (clicking a column header changes which column is used to sort the list).  Also, if "Show Path for Filenames" is checked in options, the filename column contains the whole path which means that the path could match the string of characters.  I usually turn that option off.

• RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

Possible issue...

I'm noticing, at least with the males, that if the character preset does not name the model in the Scene tab (figure is named the default ["Genesis 8 Male" or "Genesis 8.1 Male"] instead of the character name,[such as "Roy for G8M"]), the resulting controller made is named either "Unknown Genesis 8 Male" or "Male 8_1". The model that loads however will have the converted model's name. The issue becomes that if another character is converted that wasn't named in the scene tab, the new controller overwrites the previous controller so that all converted models using that controller load as the last converted character for that model (G8M or G8.1M).

At some point the character is being "re-named" for the Scene tab. Can this name update the default name used for building the controller?

Yes, this is a known issue.  The script looks at the name of the character it loads (not the filename) to create the controller.  That controller can get trounced in situations you describe and is not something I can prevent (you could be reconverting a character).  Thankfully, few PAs do such a thing.  If you notice a converted character has such a name, I would rename that controller morph filename before converting other characters.  Unfortunately, that means you will need to edit the character preset to also load your new controller name though.

Gotcha. BTW, I have been learning more and more about some of the background stuff in Daz trying to work around some of these issues. I'm now understanding why certain issues happen. I wish I had a reason to do something like this before now lol.

edited June 2023

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

necroscension said:

Possible issue...

Gotcha. BTW, I have been learning more and more about some of the background stuff in Daz trying to work around some of these issues. I'm now understanding why certain issues happen. I wish I had a reason to do something like this before now lol.

LOL. laugh  Every time I work with SickleYield, I learn all kinds of things.  "Why did she tell me to script it like this?  Couldn't I do that... or this... oh.  That's why." laugh

I *really* wish I could make character conversion straightforward, and no one would have to worry about this stuff.    But it helps a LOT to understand this stuff.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,191
    edited June 2023

RiverSoftArt said:

RexRed said:

I can't get the search to work in the character converter or the clothing converter.

I type in the word "boots" or "viking" and sometimes it takes me to v's I would think it would search the file names and narrow down the options listed with that word in the file name.

I have nearly 10,000 Daz assets. and not being able to search for a keyword and refine the items listed is very difficult.

The search looks for the FIRST item in the list (in the filename column) that contains the string of characters.  Depending on which column is being used to sort the list, this can change (clicking a column header changes which column is used to sort the list).  Also, if "Show Path for Filenames" is checked in options, the filename column contains the whole path which means that the path could match the string of characters.  I usually turn that option off.

Thank you for the info, it would be very helpful if it kept searching and filtered the list realtime while the keyword was present.  

In this way one could filter a certain subset like loose, boots, dress, cape, suit, pants, Michael etc... and then multi-select and batch convert those items.

If the top item is not what you are searching for then you need to parse, in my case, many hundreds of files to find the right one.

Selecting things one by one is endless and impossible.

I need search filters.

Post edited by RexRed on
    edited June 2023

Eyes scaled to make eyeball fit eye socket

I have had problems because I put the X in to the eye dialogue field and it is the only item with an X and only on rare occasions does the eye dialog box actually open during the conversion process.

On the latest occasion I resized the eyeball just large enough so it covers each side of the eye opening.

And yes, the eye dialogue does stretch the image when the eyeball is sized up to fit into the socket.

I have been finagling with this issue for over a week.

I have found only one solution for Gen 9 eyes to size the iris and pupil down and that is only slightly and that product is Natural Eyes for Genesis 9.

As for Genesis 8, I am still plagued with eyes that are way too large to look right.

My only solution is Photoshop and to try and edit the maps there.

That is a complicated process because several maps need to be edited, "precisely" to make it work. And in order to make Genesis 9 eyes work with Genesis 8 skin you need to delete or hide the eye socket in Geometry editor in some cases or in other cases set the eye socket cutout to zero.

Only then will Gen 9 eyes work right with Gen 8 skins.

But the eyeball size problem persists. 

Post edited by RexRed on
  • RiverSoftArt said:

americananimatorsnetwork said:

I got everything shaped properly and fixed a weird eye issue on the left eye being small, but none of the shoes for G9 seem to fit with the G8 suit on. Has anyone had this happen? What do I need to do to get them to fit on the converted figure?

I am not seeing this issue.  You load the shoes on the figure, not the suit, correct?  Which shoes cause problems?  Can you post an image?

Here is an image of what is happening. They are loaded onto the figure, but I'm not sure what the issue is. If I save the morphed character as a shaping preset and apply to a blank G9, there's no issue (except I can't use the 8.1 materials, of course).

Capture DAZ Shoe Issue.PNG
    811 x 1007 - 842K

RexRed said:

RiverSoftArt said:

RexRed said:

Thank you for the info, it would be very helpful if it kept searching and filtered the list realtime while the keyword was present.  

In this way one could filter a certain subset like loose, boots, dress, cape, suit, pants, Michael etc... and then multi-select and batch convert those items.

If the top item is not what you are searching for then you need to parse, in my case, many hundreds of files to find the right one.

Selecting things one by one is endless and impossible.

I need search filters.

If the DzListView that Daz uses offered those features, I would happily do it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't (or I can't find them).  I would have to rebuild the list view every time you changed something.

RexRed said:

I have had problems because I put the X in to the eye dialogue field and it is the only item with an X and only on rare occasions does the eye dialog box actually open during the conversion process.

On the latest occasion I resized the eyeball just large enough so it covers each side of the eye opening.

And yes, the eye dialogue does stretch the image when the eyeball is sized up to fit into the socket.

I have found only one solution for Gen 9 eyes to size the iris and pupil down and that is only slightly and that product is Natural Eyes for Genesis 9.

As for Genesis 8, I am still plagued with eyes that are way too large to look right.

That is a complicated process because several maps need to be edited, "precisely" to make it work. And in order to make Genesis 9 eyes work with Genesis 8 skin you need to delete or hide the eye socket in Geometry editor in some cases or in other cases set the eye socket cutout to zero.

The eye dialog will only open when it finds a morph that works on the head only.  With the update coming soon, it will find more of those instead of just the FHM named morphs. 

I really don't understand why you would need to photoshop the texture.  I have asked Sickleyield and maybe she can help you.

RiverSoftArt said:

I got everything shaped properly and fixed a weird eye issue on the left eye being small, but none of the shoes for G9 seem to fit with the G8 suit on. Has anyone had this happen? What do I need to do to get them to fit on the converted figure?

I am not seeing this issue.  You load the shoes on the figure, not the suit, correct?  Which shoes cause problems?  Can you post an image?

Here is an image of what is happening. They are loaded onto the figure, but I'm not sure what the issue is. If I save the morphed character as a shaping preset and apply to a blank G9, there's no issue (except I can't use the 8.1 materials, of course).

Have you added a smoothing modifier to the shoes?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

RexRed said:

Hi!

The eye dialog doesn't affect textures directly at all. If you're not liking the rescaling of the eye mesh when the eye dialog is used, you can turn that option off. The eye conformer contains morphs called Eye Scale L and Eye Scale R that will allow you to individually and manually scale each eyeball if that gets you closer to the result you want.

• The update allowing for FBM/FHM or body/head in the name must be in play, I just had one of those characters to convert with no issue!

• I'm having a very frustrating time converting my character via the Fit Clone method that I think underlies this product. Does it create morphs that can be combined, or just single characters? I want the flexibility of converting G8 morphs and character presets that I can combine together. I've seen somebody combined G9 and G8 characters, but don't know if that works with multiple G8 characters. If this can solve my problem, it's an insta purchase :)

necroscension said:

The update allowing for FBM/FHM or body/head in the name must be in play, I just had one of those characters to convert with no issue!

Yes, testing completed yesterday. smiley

aaráribel caađo said:

I'm having a very frustrating time converting my character via the Fit Clone method that I think underlies this product. Does it create morphs that can be combined, or just single characters? I want the flexibility of converting G8 morphs and character presets that I can combine together. I've seen somebody combined G9 and G8 characters, but don't know if that works with multiple G8 characters. If this can solve my problem, it's an insta purchase :)

The product converts each used morph individually.  It does not combine the used G8 morphs into one combined morph before converting.  (I thought about it after seeing all the issues people had.  I still may add that feature if I end up doing the G3-G9 conversion but right now I need a break from Character Conversion).

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

For now  after  many tests  ,the script diesn't work correctly for me .I have tried with one file and with add directory following the steps writing in the pdf manual

i have DAZ directory in D:\DAZStudio 64 bits and install the script in D:\DAZStudio 64:\MY Library\ Scripts

I also have a big library in E:\DAZStudio Library where are installed many props caracters etc   and also tried to install the scrpts in ths library

The script opens ok  add destination directory for the hairs converters and add the hair gen 8 directory to convert everything seems ok

But in fact only some hairs not all selected seems to be convertered and when i tried to put on Gen 9 caracter the hair is  not correctly posed

Screen Shot 06-10-23 at 01.15 PM.JPG
    2576 x 1456 - 1M
  • RiverSoftArt said:

aaráribel caađo said:

I'm having a very frustrating time converting my character via the Fit Clone method that I think underlies this product. Does it create morphs that can be combined, or just single characters? I want the flexibility of converting G8 morphs and character presets that I can combine together. I've seen somebody combined G9 and G8 characters, but don't know if that works with multiple G8 characters. If this can solve my problem, it's an insta purchase :)

The product converts each used morph individually.  It does not combine the used G8 morphs into one combined morph before converting.  (I thought about it after seeing all the issues people had.  I still may add that feature if I end up doing the G3-G9 conversion but right now I need a break from Character Conversion).

On this note, just a question: I noticed when I converted PedroFurtadoArts Alistair that a secondary morph, something like Alistair Chin Correction, and it didn't "break" the head/body morphs (it doesn't appear to also contain the G8M head shape baked in). I believe I noticed that it had PHM in the name, is the script not baking the body/head morphs for these PHM/PBM morphs? I'm not complaining, just noticing, especially since this character didn't use the FHM/FBM naming conventions for the head/body morphs.

Martial said:

For now  after  many tests  ,the script diesn't work correctly for me .I have tried with one file and with add directory following the steps writing in the pdf manual

i have DAZ directory in D:\DAZStudio 64 bits and install the script in D:\DAZStudio 64:\MY Library\ Scripts

I also have a big library in E:\DAZStudio Library where are installed many props caracters etc   and also tried to install the scrpts in ths library

The script opens ok  add destination directory for the hairs converters and add the hair gen 8 directory to convert everything seems ok

But in fact only some hairs not all selected seems to be convertered and when i tried to put on Gen 9 caracter the hair is  not correctly posed

I would need to see the hair conversion log to see if something is wrong.  In the meantime, select the hair and find out what it's Fit To Mode is set to.  It should be 'Redirect Transforms'

In the future, for the hair converter, please post in https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/636311/released-rssy-hair-converter-from-genesis-8-to-genesis-9-commercial#latest

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

This is a good conversion, though I have no idea wtf is up with the teeth, tear and eyelashes.

conversiontestteef.png
    586 x 595 - 90K
  • Riversoft, see attached file. The process could not be completed due to "Unable to import file". Please help ASAP. Thank you!

odysseyowl said:

Riversoft, see attached file. The process could not be completed due to "Unable to import file". Please help ASAP. Thank you!

There was no attachment.  If it is text file (and not too big), you should be able to click the "Attach a file", then "Choose File" and attach the file.

necroscension said:

RiverSoftArt said:

aaráribel caađo said:

On this note, just a question: I noticed when I converted PedroFurtadoArts Alistair that a secondary morph, something like Alistair Chin Correction, and it didn't "break" the head/body morphs (it doesn't appear to also contain the G8M head shape baked in). I believe I noticed that it had PHM in the name, is the script not baking the body/head morphs for these PHM/PBM morphs? I'm not complaining, just noticing, especially since this character didn't use the FHM/FBM naming conventions for the head/body morphs.

It is not converting it, or converting it but it is no problem?  The script doesn't differentiate between morphs except when saving the head/body morphs it restricts their area of affect to the appropriate body part.

Eboshijaana said:

This is a good conversion, though I have no idea wtf is up with the teeth, tear and eyelashes.

Obviously some morph is doing that.  If it was the eyes, I would think it is the extra eye morph that automatically triggers when the main morph is engaged that is causing the problem.  It is probably something similar here.  I have asked SickleYield for her advice.

edited June 2023

Can someone post a link to the discussion thread for RSSY Clothing Converter for Genesis 8 to 9 clothes?

Thank you.

It would be helpful if these discussion threads were included in the product documentation and on the after purchase product store page.

Instead we have to search all around for them and be linked to them after we have posted in the main forum or search for them on a forum that only knows how to look up one word at a time.

Post edited by RexRed on