Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• Richard Haseltine said:

douglasmartinsxd said:

We just want an update on iray, no one cares about the Property Hierarchy pane. Nvidia released the new iray in June and so far nothing about it in Daz.

We don't know how well it plays with Daz Studio, or what chnages there may be that impact existing content - it's quite possible that there are good reasons not to release the current version. Note that that is a general point, I am not aware of why theer has been no update to the new version of iray on this occasion.

I will say that some of the new features that have been added, including the Property Hierarchy changes, are more noteworthy to me than an "Iray update" (depending on what it brought, anyway) so the  universal we is a bit of an assumption.

Just to confirm, after the issues with feature changes and bug fixes causing products to behave in unintended manners Daz has decided that there will be no Iray updates during the 4.21.1.x cycle, they will wait for the next significant update cycle before adding that to the brew.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

Thanks for the responses, Richard.

• Any reason why we're still forced to get an annoying pop-up every single time we try to Zero _anything_. 

• MeneerWolfman said:

Any reason why we're still forced to get an annoying pop-up every single time we try to Zero _anything_. 

It is intended - it is to avoid the issues caused by people zeroing figues that have visible controls for things like correctives, as happened a lot with Genesis 9. It is not planned to be removed, though it is possible to script to avoid it.

• Richard Haseltine said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Any reason why we're still forced to get an annoying pop-up every single time we try to Zero _anything_. 

It is intended - it is to avoid the issues caused by people zeroing figues that have visible controls for things like correctives, as happened a lot with Genesis 9. It is not planned to be removed, though it is possible to script to avoid it.

Why not just have a checkbox to disable the message in the future like the other pop-ups that ask you to confirm? Like if you want to add new figure or replace the current one. I get asking us once, because we may have made a mistake, but if we obviously then choose Zero and select a check box to not prompt in the future that gives you a better solution.

Making us force to confirm that we actually want to do something that we haven't been forced to confirm for like 10 years now seems a bit much because Daz's newest figure, and none of it previous gens, requires so many fixes and corrective to bend like Victoria 4 cheeky

• MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Why not just have a checkbox to disable the message in the future like the other pop-ups that ask you to confirm? Like if you want to add new figure or replace the current one. I get asking us once, because we may have made a mistake, but if we obviously then choose Zero and select a check box to not prompt in the future that gives you a better solution.

Making us force to confirm that we actually want to do something that we haven't been forced to confirm for like 10 years now seems a bit much because Daz's newest figure, and none of it previous gens, requires so many fixes and corrective to bend like Victoria 4 cheeky

Genesis 9 isn't the only thing with the issue, just the most obvious. The behaviour had to be changed quite early on, to ignore hidden properties, as initially it was zeroing those and breaking things that needed a cosntant value for ERC magic (for example, locking bends on hidden body parts was one I recall breaking initially). I agree it is annoying when I do want to zero, but it is relatveily rare that I do 9and one can always memorise the zero pose, if there isn't a need to memorise a non-zero pose, or save a Properties preset that zeroes and make it a custom action).

• MeneerWolfman said:

Richard Haseltine said:

MeneerWolfman said:

The chnage is discussed here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7926841/#Comment_7926841

see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_trigger/start?rev=1692029684#example_with_settings for the script option I mentioned

• ghostfighter 2099ghostfighter 2099 Posts: 15
    edited August 2023

My Daz beta stopped working yesterday , it can't even start, it's the first Beta that doesn't work.

Apparently my main window is not created.

Post edited by ghostfighter 2099 on
  • ghostfighter 2099 said:

My Daz beta stopped working yesterday , it can't even start, it's the first Beta that doesn't work.

What happens when you try?

edited August 2023
    the program never starts, it looks like it's minimized. But another version of Daz that I have on the same PC is fine.

the program never starts, it looks like it's minimized. But another version of Daz that I have on the same PC is fine.

What do you see if you hover the mouse over the taskBar button - the proper interface, the About box, or just a generic application icon (or something else)?

edited August 2023

I see the proper interface, but the program never opens.

I see the proper interface, but the program never opens.

The first thing to check is that it hasn't been moved onto another desktop (literally on another display, of virtually via an alternative desktop (Windows Tab will let you see if you hafve additional desktops configured).

• Solved, I reinstalled the program twice and Daz returned to normal, strange...

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Richard Haseltine said:

Richard Haseltine said:

douglasmartinsxd said:

We just want an update on iray, no one cares about the Property Hierarchy pane. Nvidia released the new iray in June and so far nothing about it in Daz.

We don't know how well it plays with Daz Studio, or what chnages there may be that impact existing content - it's quite possible that there are good reasons not to release the current version. Note that that is a general point, I am not aware of why theer has been no update to the new version of iray on this occasion.

I will say that some of the new features that have been added, including the Property Hierarchy changes, are more noteworthy to me than an "Iray update" (depending on what it brought, anyway) so the  universal we is a bit of an assumption.

Just to confirm, after the issues with feature changes and bug fixes causing products to behave in unintended manners Daz has decided that there will be no Iray updates during the 4.21.1.x cycle, they will wait for the next significant update cycle before adding that to the brew.

Isn't this what QA is for? To test the stuff? And a beta?

While I can applaud the hesitation in reaction to customer comments, not updating at all for a while feels a bit extreme. After all, we have a beta.

A lot of people want to get updates to Iray. Whether you guys like it or not, Iray is the main star of Daz Studio. Everything starts and stops with Iray. Iray is the reason I use DS. You have a beta branch, this is what a beta is for. Throw it out there and let us test it.

The thing here is that certain products have already been broken. That ship has sailed. Daz may as well move forward, as you cannot go back. You know, just like we cannot casually roll back to DS 4.16 unless we kept a personal backup of that install. Now maybe Daz-Tafi knows how it feels to be unable to revert the software they depend on. Snap! (Sorry, I am going to make that dig every time.)

I ran into an issue today that really frustrated me. I was trying to use DS 4.21 and the guided sampler. I have been trying to give 4.21 a chance, really I have. I found that sometimes the guided sampler actually can render an image faster than 4.16 if it is indoors and other stipluations. That sounds pretty neat. I can't figure out exactly what in the scene allows it do this, because sometimes it does, and a lot of times it doesn't beat 4.16. But as I said...I am trying to give it a chance. At any rate I managed to make a scene where the rendered pixels started turning invisible. It effected the entire scene, and no material was immune. Pixels in the walls, props, hair, clothing, skin, everything started getting these invisible pixels. It was kind of like the old chromatic sss bug from 4.10 or whatever, except this was every surface and there were a lot of invisible pixels. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what was going on. I thought I was out of VRAM perhaps, but no. I turned off the guided sampler and everything rendered fine. It is a bug in the guided sampler, but I don't know what caused it.

But that's the problem. The guided sampler is the one cool trick that 4.21 has. If you take that one cool trick away, well, 4.21 simply sucks. Without the guided sampler, 4.21 is extremely slow. I loaded my scene in 4.16 and rendered it significantly faster and without the invisible pixels. 4.21 needs the guided sampler to have any chance of rendering faster or better than 4.16 (and even so, it only wins occassionally.)

You can't really report this bug to the Iray dev team, because they have already moved on. This bug is in Iray 2022, and they are on 2023 now. It would be like me reporting DS 4.20 has a bug, and your support says, 'welp, we are on 4.21 now, sorry.' I am sure the Iray team would say something similar.

Iray 2023 contains a truckload of bug fixes, and the guided sampler is stated to have bug fixes, so this particular bug may be fixed in Iray 2023. Thus the case for including Iray 2023 in the DS beta.

If the beta causes problems, don't put it in the general release. Simple as that. Again, that is what the beta is supposed to be for.

• EXCUSE ME . DAZ 4.21.1.80?WHERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK?

• yzs.201999 said:

EXCUSE ME . DAZ 4.21.1.80?WHERE IS THE DOWNLOAD LINK?

Have you purchased the beta https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta ? Are you using Install Manager? Have you enabled Beta Builds in the Download Filters (button on the Ready To Download tab)?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692
    edited September 2023

I'm not sure what is happening, or why. I can't update (download or install) the latest Public Beta with DIM. I also have several other products that won't "update". The list of products to update is slowly getting longer, but nothing updates - they fail when downloading.

This is on a new computer (Win 11). I was able to install everything at first, and even installed one DS Beta update, now it won't download or Install??

Any help would be greatly appreciated (see screen grab below).

DIM Products Won't update.png
    885 x 710 - 116K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • DustRider said:

I'm not sure what is happening, or why. I can't update (download or install) the latest Public Beta with DIM. I also have several other products that won't "update". The list of products to update is slowly getting longer, but nothing updates - they fail when downloading.

This is on a new computer (Win 11). I was able to install everything at first, and even installed one DS Beta update, now it won't download or Install??

Any help would be greatly appreciated (see screen grab below).

Have you checked the log?

Thanks Richard! Duh, should have checked the log. Below is what it has for the DS Beta:

023-09-12 15:54:39.780 [INFO] :: Requesting: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2023-09-12 15:54:40.164 [VERBOSE] :: Redirected Request: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2023-09-12 15:55:00.464 [INFO] :: Download Successful: 12000-2 : DAZ Studio 4.21 (Win 64-bit) Public Build +BETA+
    2023-09-12 15:55:00.465 [WARNING] :: Remove File Failed: D:/Data/DIM/IM00012000-02_DAZStudio421PublicBuildWin64bit.zip
    2023-09-12 15:55:00.465 [WARNING] :: Rename Error - Temporary File: D:/Data/DIM/IM00012000-02_DAZStudio421PublicBuildWin64bit.zip.{3b7edd97-5d6d-254b-aac2-ad6a994e99fe}.part

It looks like it is failing on the delete file step for everything as it looks like the files DIM wants to delete are missing. Would it be possible to just add a dummy file with the proper name into the repository for DIM to delete?

• Weird, I have never had an issue like that - is there a .dsx file for the installer, but no matching zip (in the downloads folder (i.e. D:/Data/DIM/IM00012000-02_DAZStudio421PublicBuildWin64bit.dsx)? This is a different .dsx from the one in Manifests.

Thanks Richard!

I don't have time right now to check. I'll be out of pocket for a little over a week (I guide bus tours - getting ready for a long one, working to update presentations). I'll post a response when I get back.

• It seems you had a failed download and a partially downloaded file. Try manually removing IM00012000-02_DAZStudio421PublicBuildWin64bit.zip.* from D:\Data\DIM and IM00012000-02_DAZStudio421PublicBuildWin64bit.dsx from D:\Data\DIM\Manfests and then re-downloading -- it should work afterwards.

• MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466

I cannot get the newest download of Daz Studio Pro Beta either, and I tried to follow the way I always have to update - not working. frown

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

DustRider said:

The list of products to update is slowly getting longer, but nothing updates - they fail when downloading.

I'm guessing you transferred the Downloads directory from the old machine, a very reasonable thing to do because it can contain terabytes of .zip files.  This can create permissions problems; check the permissions for "Authenticated Users" in the Properties/Security tab of the "Downloads" directory itself.  Also take a look at the list in that tab; under normal circumstances it will just contain "Authenticated Users", "SYSTEM", "Administrators" and "Users".  If there's something else there that suggests a permissions problem (unless you deliberately set up all the permissions, in which case ignore everything I said.)

• I downloaded and installed the last NVIDIA Studio Drivers 537.42 and post denoise alpha is working again; I don't get the green hue after post denoising alpha kicks in.

Dforce also seems to be working fine and my Genesis 3 female skins are also rendering as intended.

I'm using...

DAZ Studio Pro Beta Version 4.21.1.80

NVIDIA Studio Drivers 537.42

I work on three systems; one with an RTX4090 other with an RTX3090 and another with an RTX3060 all of them seem to be working fine.

So, I would say it is safe to upgrade to the last studio drivers.

VividImaginator said:

I downloaded and installed the last NVIDIA Studio Drivers 537.42 and post denoise alpha is working again; I don't get the green hue after post denoising alpha kicks in.

Dforce also seems to be working fine and my Genesis 3 female skins are also rendering as intended.

I'm using...

DAZ Studio Pro Beta Version 4.21.1.80

NVIDIA Studio Drivers 537.42

I work on three systems; one with an RTX4090 other with an RTX3090 and another with an RTX3060 all of them seem to be working fine.

So, I would say it is safe to upgrade to the last studio drivers.

Thanks for the testing and report.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,734

Is there an issue with strandbased (dForce) hair Iray rendering in this release?

When rendering I get very thin hair. Also tried with Zero line shaders, and got similar result.

The attached image is with Zero Line shaders-

SBH_PB_4_21_1_80_issue.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M

felis said:

Is there an issue with strandbased (dForce) hair Iray rendering in this release?

When rendering I get very thin hair. Also tried with Zero line shaders, and got similar result.

You probably accidently have one of the tools selected that prevents the SBH from rendering. Those would be tools like Geometry Editor and Mesh Grabber, maybe others. Select a tool like the Universal tool or the Translate tool and see if all is well.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,734

barbult said:

felis said:

You probably accidently have one of the tools selected that prevents the SBH from rendering. Those would be tools like Geometry Editor and Mesh Grabber, maybe others. Select a tool like the Universal tool or the Translate tool and see if all is well.

You're right.

I had have DS closed and reopened and forgot that mesh grabber was active when I closed it.