Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• barbult said:

The templates are a separate package in DIM and need to be installed. The freebies have been free for a few weeks already. I didn't see any new ones there.

I think they were released without fanfare, so that the system could be tested, but of coursea fair few people felt their freebie-sense a-tingling and found them anyway.

• oddboboddbob Posts: 348

Richard Haseltine said:

oddbob said:

DoctorJellybean said:

oddbob said:

I can see where they are going with the new new and the freebies in the bottom pane are welcome. I can see the recent tab being useful at times, but the others are unpopulated for me except for my default scene as DS is set to not log on and I never use favourites. it would be nice to have the option to skip straight into my preferred default scene as before.

You can as soon as you click File - New or press Ctrl+N press Enter to speed it up.

For me both of those options launch the new window. I'd like to be able to skip that entirely and open my saved default scene.

The point is that hitting entre will immediately clopse it with the default action - a standard new scene, which can load content if you have that set in Edit>Preferencs>Scene tab. So, it is an extra hit of the enter/return key but it doesn't require finding and clicking a button, which should minimise the interuption.

Got it, thanks both.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,849
    edited October 2023

I've never seen a software that embeds Ads (on-line) into the dialogue of New or Create New... If Daz really wants to show Ads in DS, why not just add an 'Ads dialogue' after DS launched and give an option of 'Never Show...' ?

At least there could be a setting in F2 for the user to use a 'simple New' rather than this laggy New... To me (more or less an advanced user), this 'New feature' is totally useless... and also as a loyal user and product buyer, I really don't have to be 'pushed' to see those Ads in a Pro version Daz Studio.

Is it difficult to add an option in Settings for a 'feature' ?

Post edited by crosswind on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,252

Inconsistent results from "Show Asset in " ?

If I right click on an asset (clothing for G9) in Smart Content pane Products tab, I am offered the choice to "Show Asset in>Content Library>Mapped Folder".

If I right click on the same asset in the Content Library pane Products section, I am offered the choice to "Show Asset in>Virtual Folder".

I am not logged in. I do not want to use anything connected to Daz Connect. The appearance of the words "Virtual Folder" frightens me!  What does "Virtual Folder" mean in this context? Why doesn't it say "Mapped Folder" like it used to?

barbult said:

If I right click on an asset (clothing for G9) in Smart Content pane Products tab, I am offered the choice to "Show Asset in>Content Library>Mapped Folder".

If I right click on the same asset in the Content Library pane Products section, I am offered the choice to "Show Asset in>Virtual Folder".

I am not logged in. I do not want to use anything connected to Daz Connect. The appearance of the words "Virtual Folder" frightens me!  What does "Virtual Folder" mean in this context? Why doesn't it say "Mapped Folder" like it used to?

I don't see it... or maybe you still have that Daz Connect folder in Content Library ?

As for the new 'Add to Favorites' at the item or file level, better at a Product level as well....

edited October 2023

crosswind said:

barbult said:

I don't see it... or maybe you still have that Daz Connect folder in Content Library ?

No, Daz Connect does not show up in my Content Library. I am attaching some screenshots of what I see. The "Virtual Folder" is not limited to this one asset. Thanks for taking a look.

No Daz Connect.jpg
    666 x 317 - 42K
    I am not logged in.jpg
    585 x 182 - 22K
    Show in Mapped Folder.jpg
    583 x 539 - 69K
    Show in Virtual Folder.jpg
    778 x 440 - 100K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

No, Daz Connect does not show up in my Content Library. I am attaching some screenshots of what I see. The "Virtual Folder" is not limited to this one asset. Thanks for taking a look.

Virtual Folder would certainly be the Daz Connect container (because it isn't a real folder, but the aggregate of all the product sub-folders in the /data/cloud/ folder(s)). That doesn't explain why it is happening though, still less why it is doing so in one place and not the other.

edited October 2023

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Got it ~ I didn't see that you saw it from 'Products'. I see the same thing now. It should be 'Mapped Folder' rather than 'Virtual Folder', bug indeed. It's correct in General Release.

• crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Got it ~ I didn't see that you saw it from 'Products'. I see the same thing now. It should be 'Mapped Folder' rather than 'Virtual Folder', bug indeed. It's correct in General Release.

This isn't an area of code that has been touched recently, so it should not be a DS bug in that case.

• crosswind said:

As for the new 'Add to Favorites' at the item or file level, better at a Product level as well....

Products are not categorised, the files within them are - and then the product appears in any category to which oen or more of its files belong.

edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Virtual Folder would certainly be the Daz Connect container (because it isn't a real folder, but the aggregate of all the product sub-folders in the /data/cloud/ folder(s)). That doesn't explain why it is happening though, still less why it is doing so in one place and not the other.

I'll submit a report.
    Request #445572 submitted

I no longer see an easy way to open a recent scene file. Now I have to click on File>New and wait a few seconds for the window to open and populate. Am I overlooking something, or did they remove they remove Open Recent from the File menu? (I did update and merge menus as recommended.)

edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

crosswind said:

Products are not categorised, the files within them are - and then the product appears in any category to which oen or more of its files belong.

I know that, but what I mean is: add such a function to the Product level in Smart Content... just like what we can 'Create a Category' for a product to our customized 'Favorites' under 'Products' in Content Library... Well, it would be slow via the latter...

SNAG-2023-10-22-0055.png
    700 x 997 - 264K
    SNAG-2023-10-22-0057.png
    1104 x 818 - 125K

barbult said:

I no longer see an easy way to open a recent scene file. Now I have to click on File>New and wait a few seconds for the window to open and populate. Am I overlooking something, or did they remove they remove Open Recent from the File menu? (I did update and merge menus as recommended.)

I can see 'Open Recent...' is still there and it works. Is it gone on your side ?

SNAG-2023-10-22-0056.png
    575 x 634 - 134K
    edited October 2023

crosswind said:

barbult said:

I can see 'Open Recent...' is still there and it works. Is it gone on your side ?

Yes, it is gone.  Did you Update and Merge Menus? I did. Maybe I should do it again, or maybe that is what removed it in the first place.

Edit: Tried redoing the Update and Merge Menus. Open Recent is still gone.

No Open Recent.jpg
    203 x 314 - 18K

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes, it is gone.  Did you Update and Merge Menus? I did. Maybe I should do it again, or maybe that is what removed it in the first place.

I didnt do 'Update and Merge..', just downloaded and installed the new Public Build. Or if you have a latest saved Layout, may try to load that to see it works or not?

edited October 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

oddbob said:

DoctorJellybean said:

oddbob said:

I can see where they are going with the new new and the freebies in the bottom pane are welcome. I can see the recent tab being useful at times, but the others are unpopulated for me except for my default scene as DS is set to not log on and I never use favourites. it would be nice to have the option to skip straight into my preferred default scene as before.

You can as soon as you click File - New or press Ctrl+N press Enter to speed it up.

For me both of those options launch the new window. I'd like to be able to skip that entirely and open my saved default scene.

The point is that hitting entre will immediately clopse it with the default action - a standard new scene, which can load content if you have that set in Edit>Preferencs>Scene tab. So, it is an extra hit of the enter/return key but it doesn't require finding and clicking a button, which should minimise the interuption.

Sir, I tried, and I have to say 'not really good'.

- with a non empty scene: first, 'New dialogue' is still there, then 'Clearing dialogue' popped up on top of the former... there better be: 'New dlg.' goes first, then comes the 'Clearing dlg.'..
    - with an empty scene: after Ctrl + N and an Enter, there was a real lag, appr. 3 -  5 seconds before Viewport is fully unlocked to accept a mouse click... 

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

I didnt do 'Update and Merge..', just downloaded and installed the new Public Build. Or if you have a latest saved Layout, may try to load that to see it works or not?

Yes, I have a Workspace Layout that I saved 11 days go. I loaded it and Open Recent came back. So I did Update and Merge Menus again, and sure enough, Open Recent is gone again. So Update and Merge Menus is definitely the culprit. So, now I wonder if that was intentional or an error. I guess it is time for another help request.  sad

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Yes, I have a Workspace Layout that I saved 11 days go. I loaded it and Open Recent came back. So I did Update and Merge Menus again, and sure enough, Open Recent is gone again. So Update and Merge Menus is definitely the culprit. So, now I wonder if that was intentional or an error. I guess it is time for another help request.  sad

Oh my... I think U & M... must be the culprit. I'm afraid you do have to submit a couple of requests today...saddevil

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Oh my... I think U & M... must be the culprit. I'm afraid you do have to submit a couple of requests today...saddevil

Request #445574 submitted to ask whether removing Open Recent was intentional or an error. I expressed that it seemed like a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because accessing the recent scenes from the File>New menu is slower than the previous simple menu implementation.

File>New window opens pretty fast after I have done it a couple times, but the first time in a session, it can take about 6 seconds. I have a lot of saved scenes. My HDD may have fallen asleep and need to wake up. DS may be trying to refresh the notification and store cache. Anyway, waiting 6 seconds feels painful when you just want to select a recent scene file. The worst is that for the first few seconds, there is no indication that anything is even happening. Finally the window opens and then gradually the store and notification sections populate. Ah, first world problems...

edited October 2023

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

Request #445574 submitted to ask whether removing Open Recent was intentional or an error. I expressed that it seemed like a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because accessing the recent scenes from the File>New menu is slower than the previous simple menu implementation.

File>New window opens pretty fast after I have done it a couple times, but the first time in a session, it can take about 6 seconds. I have a lot of saved scenes. My HDD may have fallen asleep and need to wake up. DS may be trying to refresh the notification and store cache. Anyway, waiting 6 seconds feels painful when you just want to select a recent scene file. The worst is that for the first few seconds, there is no indication that anything is even happening. Finally the window opens and then gradually the store and notification sections populate. Ah, first world problems...

Understood ~~ But from my country Location, while connecting to Daz server to 'refresh the Ads', it's from time to time just like what I attached down below... Ah..........ah........, anyway, for whatever reason, I just wanna have that 'Simple New' back crying even if there would be a Setting to toggle back ... 

And it would be very simple to add a chekbox, a dropdown list or whatever in F2 to toggle 'simple way' and 'complex way', from program development perspective...

SNAG-2023-10-22-0058.png
    1202 x 774 - 29K

crosswind said:

Understood ~~ But from my country Location, while connecting to Daz server to 'refresh the Ads', it's from time to time just like what I attached down below... Ah..........ah........, anyway, for whatever reason, I just wanna have that 'Simple New' back crying even if there would be a Setting to toggle back ... 

And it would be very simple to add a chekbox, a dropdown list or whatever in F2 to toggle 'simple way' and 'complex way', from program development perspective...

I see you are on the Favorites tab. For some reason, the notification and store panels seem to load more slowly for me on that tab than on the others. I don't know why. I don't even have any Favorites set up. But yes, the notifications and store stay blank for a couple seconds. I'm in the US with fairly high Internet download speeds around 300 Mbps. I haven't memorized all the complexity of when cached data is used and when new data is downloaded. Rob wrote all this up, in great detail, though, so I should read it through again to see if it helps me understand the apparent delays.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 00.07.52.png
    1216 x 1132 - 40K

barbult said:

crosswind said:

I see you are on the Favorites tab. For some reason, the notification and store panels seem to load more slowly for me on that tab than on the others. I don't know why. I don't even have any Favorites set up. But yes, the notifications and store stay blank for a couple seconds. I'm in the US with fairly high Internet download speeds around 300 Mbps. I haven't memorized all the complexity of when cached data is used and when new data is downloaded. Rob wrote all this up, in great detail, though, so I should read it through again to see if it helps me understand the apparent delays.

Yea... I also have a pretty high speed of internet connection (1000MB fiber) in here but most of the time I have to switch to VPN to get 'high speed' when connecting to some of the sites in US....

By the way, if it's convenient, would you pls post me the link of what Rob wrote ? Thanks!

edited October 2023

crosswind said:

Yea... I also have a pretty high speed of internet connection (1000MB fiber) in here but most of the time I have to switch to VPN to get 'high speed' when connecting to some of the sites in US....

By the way, if it's convenient, would you pls post me the link of what Rob wrote ? Thanks!

Look through Rob's messages in this locked thread New Scene Workflow & In-App Notifications - Daz Studio 4.21.1.91+

The message about In-App Notification has the part about caching the data. Although I'm not clear on where it is cached.

barbult said:

crosswind said:

Look through Rob's messages in this locked thread New Scene Workflow & In-App Notifications - Daz Studio 4.21.1.91+

The message about In-App Notification has the part about caching the data. Although I'm not clear on where it is cached.

Ah, got it. I missed that thread.Thanks again!  yes

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

Ah, got it. I missed that thread.Thanks again!  yes

There is a lot of info there. You can tell that Rob spent a lot of time documenting all those new features and interface changes. I thank him for that!

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Looks like they're part way through implementing one of those popup File Manager / Start Dialogs thats been fashionable for a while.

'Recent Files' has also disappeared from my menu.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,922

I found a bug. When I start and close DAZ Studio Beta without loading anything in the scene, it stays FOREVER in memory taking about 400 megs and doesn't disappear blocking any other session, regular DAZ Studio included, until I open the task manager and force close it.

Also, pretty silly eradicate the "Recent" from menu, I use that incredibly often and I don't want to wait two minutes for the new window to appear and show up only to reopen a scene that I have just closed.

• Imago said:

I found a bug. When I start and close DAZ Studio Beta without loading anything in the scene, it stays FOREVER in memory taking about 400 megs and doesn't disappear blocking any other session, regular DAZ Studio included, until I open the task manager and force close it.

I can't say that it is my experience.