Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

1242526272830»

Comments

• Richard Haseltine said:

The instructions here do mention the need for air-like refraction https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609556/creating-a-ghost-light-daz-studio-4-21-1-26#latest

Yeah, but it's what I'm trying to say here : spotlights still cast refractions for some reasons (and there is no much you can do about it, far I know)

DAZStudio_f73XRBUV1i.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 877K
  • no__name said:

Richard Haseltine said:

The instructions here do mention the need for air-like refraction https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/609556/creating-a-ghost-light-daz-studio-4-21-1-26#latest

Yeah, but it's what I'm trying to say here : spotlights still cast refractions for some reasons (and there is no much you can do about it, far I know)

Yes, I was justs aying that with respect to the original issue with planes it is mentioned - I am not sure if anything can be done for spotlights, it may be worth opening a ticket so daz can either give the solution 9if there is one) or raise it with nVidia.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

I have determined that the white Christmas tree in the scene must be the problem. I deleted it (which took a long time in itself), saved the scene and closed DS. It took less than 15 seconds to close in DS 4.22.0.15 PB.

The tree was the culprit ? from which product ?

V3D Christmas Gifts and Tree. See my reply to Richard, which I just posted.

Thanks ! I don't have this product. It says not recommended... there must be some reason behind surprise

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

crosswind said:

barbult said:

crosswind said:

barbult said:

I have determined that the white Christmas tree in the scene must be the problem. I deleted it (which took a long time in itself), saved the scene and closed DS. It took less than 15 seconds to close in DS 4.22.0.15 PB.

The tree was the culprit ? from which product ?

V3D Christmas Gifts and Tree. See my reply to Richard, which I just posted.

Thanks ! I don't have this product. It says not recommended... there must be some reason behind surprise

V3Digitimes knows what she is doing. She must have recognized the impact of all those instances and warned us.
    I deleted that tree with instances and loaded the "real" tree object instead. I saved the scene and was then able to close DS in 17 seconds. 

PLEASE, Daz developers, fix the instance clearing delays!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064

I have this tree - so I ran tests on my system.

The fully instanced tree - took 16 minutes 5 seconds from "Clearing the scene" to the next message "** Scene Cleared **"; while this was happening I could see in task manager that the background Studio task was slowly releasing memory.

The tree without instancing took 1.05 seconds to clear the scene.

As a former tech support type, I'm most curious about where this discrepancy comes from. Is it Studio, looping through a process to delete the instances one at a time; Or is it in the QT code, doing the same thing after Studio deletes the parent object; Or is it a Windows memory management doing cleanup?

• crosswind said:

As for the 3rd point, as an alternative, You may just zero Glossy Layered Weight and Top Coat Weight on the surfaces of Cornea and Sclera rather than cranking IGLF to a much higher value.

The whole point of having ghost lights is to be able to control whether they are visible to primary rays, reflections, and whether they cast shadows.

Changing cornea and sclera surfaces would also prevent all other scene lights from reflecting in the character's eyes making them dull.

One of the first lessons in portrait photography is that your subject's eyes must not be dull, therefore going that route is not an option.

If the Ghost Light Factor does not control reflectivity in the same way for all materials then it's worthless.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

crosswind said:

As for the 3rd point, as an alternative, You may just zero Glossy Layered Weight and Top Coat Weight on the surfaces of Cornea and Sclera rather than cranking IGLF to a much higher value.

The whole point of having ghost lights is to be able to control whether they are visible to primary rays, reflections, and whether they cast shadows.

Changing cornea and sclera surfaces would also prevent all other scene lights from reflecting in the character's eyes making them dull.

One of the first lessons in portrait photography is that your subject's eyes must not be dull, therefore going that route is not an option.

If the Ghost Light Factor does not control reflectivity in the same way for all materials then it's worthless.

Agreed... that's just one of my alternatives if no catch light is really needed or I just use some catch light products..., 'cause increasing IGLF with high value brings other side-effects... The "current version" of  AINP still cannot well support Spotlight with normal settings, e.g. the residual black geometry still can be seen in the mirror unless I set a very small value in Height (Diameter).

• keraberakerabera Posts: 117

is there a way to shut down the huge annoying window who pop-up when we click on "new scene",in which we need to click again on "new scene" to effectively had a new scene ?

thx

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,901

kerabera said:

is there a way to shut down the huge annoying window who pop-up when we click on "new scene",in which we need to click again on "new scene" to effectively had a new scene ?

thx

No, you have to create an empty scene and link it to CTRL+N shortcut.

Remember to set the scene file to read-only, this will help you save the scene in the right place.

• jd641jd641 Posts: 426
    edited March 3

kerabera said:

thx

I wonder what the chances are for getting an option to disable this new "feature" if enough people request it?

Post edited by jd641 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,909

jd641 said:

kerabera said:

thx

I wonder what the chances are for getting an option to disable this new "feature" if enough people request it?

Scroll up through this thread or the general release thread - there ware various posts on the topic, usually linking to http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/actions/action_menu_submenu/start