Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.0.15! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742
    edited April 2023

johndoe_36eb90b0 said:

My advice is to stay on 528.24 Studio driver until 535 driver branch is released. Newer 531.xx versions are buggy.

The bug that is causing me problems was in 528.24; the HDRI ground shadow (as in 'draw ground' when there isn't a ground as a 3D object) disappeared or, at least, became so faint as to be invisible.  I haven't checked 541.41 yet.

EDIT: the problem does repro with 541.41.  It's an issue with the interpretation of PtGUI generated HDRIs; I get shadows with "Ruins" (a .hdr) but if I swap to one of my own HDRIs (written by PtGUI), a .exr, the shadows disappear.

Post edited by jbowler on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

My advice is to stay on 528.24 Studio driver until 535 driver branch is released. Newer 531.xx versions are buggy.

Why do you say that? I haven't had a problem with 531.41.
  • Dolce SaitoDolce Saito Posts: 148
    edited April 2023

I have a consistent crash of daz studio if I navigate through my timeline frame by frame. The timing of the crash is random, but it crashes eventually. I have figures with animations.

I am yet to find out what causes this. However, it happens with different projects with different timelines. All it takes to go through timeline frame by frame. For example, last crash happened during dforce simulation (it doesn't have anything to do with dforce actually), because dforce also navigates timeline frame-by-frame.

The error that pops up is always the same.

Anyone else having this?

I am still looking for what might be causing this. The viewport is just texture shaded. It doesn't change the fact that it crashes if I select it something else, other than pbr. In the pbr, characters disappear instead.

Edit: I tried creating this bug with a vanilla g8, did some 30-frame random looping animation. I found another bug in the process, but not this one :). (Another bug: Interrupting during "play" with a mouse click then requires user to hower their mouse in the viewport in order to "play" to function correctly). All in all, I'm still looking what is causing this since it is a showstopper for me.

Edit2: Ok. This is related with geoshells.Because it only happens in the scenes with geoshells (invisible ones?). In PBR, when the bug triggers, the characters disappear, but everything else looks ok like the characters are there (clothing etc).For some reason, however, in the texture shaded mode, daz crashes because characters can't disappear. So, the disappearance in the pbr acts as a buffer to let you at least save your work and restart studio.

I'll keep working in pbr until this gets fixed.

Edit3: I also have same crash, even though I was in in the pbr rendering. So, my theory fell apart (which was pbr lets you save and restart)

Edit4: I removed all geoshells from my scenery and it still happens. Only 2 g8 characters with lots of animation. Back to square one. I almost spend all my day trying to figure out the cause for this, which got me frustrated. The only things I am sure is that 1- I am using latest studio driver and 2- this definitely wasn't happening in previous beta.

Edit5:After all of those testing, I restarted my computer (I always shutdown/poweron each day). I loaded up the same project and I have been conducting dforce simulations which I need to do. For a very long time since the restart, I haven't had any crashes so far. The only different thing I've done this time is that I have never switched to the PBR rendering. Other than that, I did everything else as always. Maybe PBR is causing a display driver bug, which persists through studio restarts/crashes, until computer is restarted.

Edit6:Since yesterday evening, I haven't seen a single crash. Confirmed workaround is to avoid PBR (for now).

Edit7: Within last 2 days, I only get to see crash only once with the same reason (even though I never switched to the PBR). The crash happened during dforce sim on texture shaded viewport, but I know it has nothing to do with it. Only thing I did was to lock the machine. When I unlocked it, I found it randomly crashed at a random frame in the timeline. Window (de-)focus issue? It may be irrelevant, but maybe it has something to do with windowed game optimizations of windows 11. It happened only once per two days ,which is bearable. In PBR, the crash skyrockets though...

Error.png
    610 x 582 - 16K
    Post edited by Dolce Saito on

Sorry for the nooby question: does anyone know if the crash issue when trying to render a scene with certain OOTs shaders is fixed in the most recent beta?

I never updated after encountering that, and didn't keep up with the forum thread. I see no way to search existing threads; only the entire forum - so I'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell what show-stopping bugs are currently known for a given beta version. Especially because it's complicated to downgrade.

• grimulkan_9cfbd329bc said:

Sorry for the nooby question: does anyone know if the crash issue when trying to render a scene with certain OOTs shaders is fixed in the most recent beta?

I never updated after encountering that, and didn't keep up with the forum thread. I see no way to search existing threads; only the entire forum - so I'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell what show-stopping bugs are currently known for a given beta version. Especially because it's complicated to downgrade.

If you mean certain OOT hairs, the problematic hairs have been updated by OOT. If one hasn't been updated yet, the fix is to remove the map in the transmission channel.

edited April 2023

Today, during the image series render, I clicked cancel and then this happened (in the picture).

For each frame in the rest of the timeline, it repeated this behavior :o

I clicked refresh on the timeline beforehand, which caused kinematics keyframes for figures to show. I generally ignore those showing up and clicked render. Maybe that was the cause.

RepeatAfterMe.png
    268 x 356 - 3K
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited April 2023

a small bug experienced using DS 4.21.1.45 Iray VP ON

switched to weight tool.  Geoshells turned white as always. Using property manager script tool rest the shell visibility again.  (sure would be nice to have this visibility reset as optional).  First time, one of the geografts looked off after this visibility-surfaces-reset.  Toggled volume-thin wall on, looked worse yet, toggled off again, then everything looked proper again.  Like thin-wall volume was not fully off, and toggling off, then on again reset again.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • jimlinjimlin Posts: 146

cannot install ds4.21.1.48 beta

have tryed 10 times to innstal 64 bit beta  32 bit beta with download manager but all i get is retry

• jimlin said:

have tryed 10 times to innstal 64 bit beta  32 bit beta with download manager but all i get is retry

Did it download or is the problem with installing?

edited April 2023

jimlin said:

DoctorJellybean said:

jimlin said:

thanks for your fast responceit dowloads okay but will not instal

(Edited by mod to fix quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • jimlin said:

jimlin said:

DoctorJellybean said:

jimlin said:

thanks for your fast responceit dowloads okay  but will not instal

Restart the computer and try again. Maybe you have an anti-virus app which interferes with the installation? Have you installed betas before?

edited April 2023

Doctor Jellybean thanks again for you responce i have been using daz 3d for 15 years and used all the betas since but never have had  this before . all other items have installed ok

I have restarted and tryed to install at least 10 times it  downloads then it states install retry. just now i downloaded and installed a free itom it installed ok

Post edited by jimlin on
  • jimlin said:

Doctor Jellybean thanks again for you responce i have been using daz 3d for 15 years and used all the betas since but never have had  this before . all other items have installed ok

I have restarted and tryed to install at least 10 times it  downloads then it states install retry. just now i downloaded and installed a free itom it installed ok

Try the following:

Uncheck the install after download and download just the beta. Restart DIM and try to install the beta.

DoctorJellybean said:

jimlin said:

Try the following:

Uncheck the install after download and download just the beta. Restart DIM and try to install the beta.

did not work i tryed uninstalling.........45 beta but will not uninstal 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,251

Just installed the 4.21.1.48 beta. I was curious about the new D-Former (my favourite underdog plugin). I often use the weight map mode, but there is a problem with this new version. Applying a new Weight Map Mode D-Former starts out okay. Rotate and scale are normal, but I cannot start to describe the dance the figure or object does when trying to use the translate controls. Removing the weight map influence and adding it back does not correct the problem.

Adding one with Default settings is no different than before, and changing the influence to Weight Map, then adding some weight works as expected (translation works properly, as well as the other transforms).

• marius_ifmarius_if Posts: 48

It works like a dream, with huge quality rendering improvements this beta .48, these guys are absolutely amazing! 

It installed in couple seconds, no problems with dim installer, and it downloaded also in seconds. 

I'm always using the latest betas, I only have the "stable" version installed to just have it there. 

I wish so much I found a glitch in these betas but, I had no luck, again and again. I love complaining but these genius guys never gave me a chance.. 

I ran tests with most complex scenes, volumetrics within volumetric shaders with many vdb custom shaders I made included, filtered path tracing my own style, almost always with caustics and other goodies meant to kill the app. I must admit I never use the default render settings, though :) 

Under heavy load GPU rtx 3070 stays below 43Celsius degrees, CPU 29C-32C indoors temperature within 24-26C, nothing to complain here. 

I just wonder if these brilliant guys ever sleep..

• NorthOf45 said:

Just installed the 4.21.1.48 beta. I was curious about the new D-Former (my favourite underdog plugin). I often use the weight map mode, but there is a problem with this new version. Applying a new Weight Map Mode D-Former starts out okay. Rotate and scale are normal, but I cannot start to describe the dance the figure or object does when trying to use the translate controls. Removing the weight map influence and adding it back does not correct the problem.

Adding one with Default settings is no different than before, and changing the influence to Weight Map, then adding some weight works as expected (translation works properly, as well as the other transforms).

The new behaviour for adding a weightmap initially has the weightmap filled at 100%. Adding a weightmap to an existing dForm instead bakes the influnce strength from the dForm's Field node to the weightmap. Is this not what you are seeing?

edited April 2023

jimlin said:

DoctorJellybean said:

jimlin said:

Try the following:

did not work i tryed uninstalling.........45 beta but will not uninstal 

solved had to uninstal DIM and reinstal dim 

(Edited by mod to fix format)

Post edited by frank0314 on

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

The new behaviour for adding a weightmap initially has the weightmap filled at 100%. Adding a weightmap to an existing dForm instead bakes the influnce strength from the dForm's Field node to the weightmap. Is this not what you are seeing?

That all sounds about right. Starting from a new default mode, and changing the influence to a weight map uses the influence from the Field node, as before, and functions properly.

Adding a new Weight Map Mode D-Former fills the weight to 100%, as you say. The problem is with the Transforms, specificaly the Translations controls, after applying the D-Former. Instead of moving the selection, the whole figure/object dances around, rotating in jerky steps around seemingly arbitrary axes, and does not always return to the original position if undone (ctrl-z or alt-click). Rotation and Scale are no problem.

• NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

That all sounds about right. Starting from a new default mode, and changing the influence to a weight map uses the influence from the Field node, as before, and functions properly.

Adding a new Weight Map Mode D-Former fills the weight to 100%, as you say. The problem is with the Transforms, specificaly the Translations controls, after applying the D-Former. Instead of moving the selection, the whole figure/object dances around, rotating in jerky steps around seemingly arbitrary axes, and does not always return to the original position if undone (ctrl-z or alt-click). Rotation and Scale are no problem.

I see what you mean, report it please.

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Okay, I think I found the problem. Adding a new Weight Map Mode D-Former to something sets the object's "Point At" property to point at the D-Former itself. Moving the D-Former keeps re-orienting the object, which moves the D-Former, causing this little dance. Setting "Point At..." to "None" makes it work normally.

• NorthOf45 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

NorthOf45 said:

Okay, I think I found the problem. Adding a new Weight Map Mode D-Former to something sets the object's "Point At" property to point at the D-Former itself. Moving the D-Former keeps re-orienting the object, which moves the D-Former, causing this little dance. Setting "Point At..." to "None" makes it work normally.

Thank you. part of the work here has been using standardised Create dialogues, I guess there is a hidden option for Point At that is set by default. Not sure, though, why Undo doesn't work.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Also checked out new dFormer. 

Offered an instant feedback for morph making that was different from Hexagon.  2 dformers - one morph spawn. Worked great.  Nice! Thks!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

Do the betas expire, or can you install them anytime you should want using DIM if you keep the installer files?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,918

Taoz said:

Do the betas expire, or can you install them anytime you should want using DIM if you keep the installer files?

They don't expire.

• https://imgur.com/a/toEWz0W

My system just survived an attack from Daz3D while switching to Iray in a relatively crowded scene, of over 10GB Vram, which usually ran fine. Spiral memory leak at its finest. This is the best way to test your system/RAM stability if you ask me. Everything froze from time to time, but no hangs, no critical errors. Daz didn't ever recover sadly, stuck in a loop I'm afraid. Latest beta build, with the latest nvidia drivers, could be related, as I've updated them just a few hours ago.   

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,908

nomadraccoon said:

https://imgur.com/a/toEWz0W

My system just survived an attack from Daz3D while switching to Iray in a relatively crowded scene, of over 10GB Vram, which usually ran fine. Spiral memory leak at its finest. This is the best way to test your system/RAM stability if you ask me. Everything froze from time to time, but no hangs, no critical errors. Daz didn't ever recover sadly, stuck in a loop I'm afraid. Latest beta build, with the latest nvidia drivers, could be related, as I've updated them just a few hours ago.   

While odd behaviour is certainly worth noting, please don't jump to conclusions about the cause as it can serve to muddy the waters.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

DoctorJellybean said:

Taoz said:

They don't expire.

OK, thanks!

• Richard Haseltine said:

nomadraccoon said:

While odd behaviour is certainly worth noting, please don't jump to conclusions about the cause as it can serve to muddy the waters.

Fair, I couldn't really replicate the issue so far, will dig deeper if I do.

edited May 2023

nomadraccoon said:

My everyday story, but not with this particular leak :)

Before angering anyone though, nowadays I tend to create lots of bug reports including crash reports which I was reluctant to do in the past. I literally spammed submit ticket with crash reports left and right.

To be fair, I also noticed that the latest iray and nvidia studio drivers are both WAY less resilient against the crashes with iray. I've been experiencing system instabilities which I have never seen before. Some also mention latest windows 11 updates caused applications to become less stable.

I definitely experience more freezes with daz studio with the latest drivers and windows updates though. Statistically, %38 of the crashes I experience are related with iray/drivers.

Reported everything as a ticket, fingers crossed.