The big announcement on September 21, 2022 - place your bets!

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Richard Haseltine said:

inquire said:

Where is the content chat, if I care to read it? Does that contain the video that was shown on YouTube?

I'm not sure what you mean - there was a chat running alongside the stream, but that was removed soon after the stream ended.

Oh, OK. Not available.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    edited September 2022

inquire said:

Richard Haseltine said:

inquire said:

Where is the content chat, if I care to read it? Does that contain the video that was shown on YouTube?

I'm not sure what you mean - there was a chat running alongside the stream, but that was removed soon after the stream ended.

Oh, OK. Not available.

I don't know where Richard got that info. If the chat was removed, it is back now. Note the link to the freebie in the text beneath the video. Watch the video on YouTube, not embedded in the forum. You can get the freebie without having to have watched the live stream, as it turns out. But don't expect too much.

Screenshot 2022-09-22 165022.jpg
    1146 x 1036 - 253K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited September 2022

Flameburst said:

Paintbox said:

Flameburst said:

3DRT said:

Curious to know what everyone thinks of Genesis 9 vs Metahuman in terms of realism. Personally I prefer the skin and hair of Metahuman but the geometry of G9 looks better (at a cursory glance at least). I really hope we get some improvements to the base skin shader in DAZ. 8K textures is nice but all the pores in the world won't fix plastic-looking skin. 

I personally prefer daz in terms of shader work etc. You can't really compare a real time render engine with a off line render engine like Iray. Iray is slower and can calculate better results. The thing with some of daz model is that they try to make the faces too perfect sometimes and steer away from symmetry which causes a drop in believeability and realism but lately their stuff is looking better and better

As someone who has spent a lot of time in the realism thread, Victoria 9 still falls in the either the waxy/plastic look typical of Daz Renders. The SSS is not as advanced as other human solutions out there (check out the realism thread for more references and in-depth talk)

So while the geometry and skin itself is really good what Jay showed, the render still lags behind on the hidden elephant in the room which is uncanny skin rendering where something is "off"

Yes true.

If you zoom into V9's skin in the promo renders, the sss looks off because it looks like the bump maps are too strong  or the SSS is not strong enough. It does look scratchy and plasticy. What I meant was that Iray would be a better render engine than Unreal 5 because it's not realtime. So being an offline render engine it gets better results, anti aliasing and smoothing whereas the SSS does need more work. Be nice to get results closer to Arnold render engine where its uses a "random walk" method to calculate realistic distribiution of light through the skin

Agreed yes I was also disappointed and have been for a while a company whose main sales are humanoid figures I would have thought they would be ahead of the game in trying to get the best in the realms of realism. not everyone wants realism I know. But if you are up there with realistic rendering capabilities then other non-realistic renders would be a doddle to achieve but unfortunately, Daz lag sorely behind other applications. Perhaps Daz 5 if it ever arrives might bring a few more bells and whistles to achieve better realism.

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

GhostDog said:

In the interests of gender equality I'm looking forward to Michael 9 being released with just two speedos! Phwarrr!

There is no indication that Genesis 9 will launch with only two swimsuits, so where is this coming from? The bundle says it will include outfits and hair, there is no reason to think it will be more limited than any other bundle.

I was jokingly referencing the fact two bikinis (the second was mentioned in the broadcast) is all that has been revealed of the bundle so far. Chill out. Is a sense of humor allowed in these forums or is that being censored as well?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

inquire said:

I am disappointed, though I should state I have not yet seen the video nor the content chat, wherever those are. I was hoping for DS 5 and for Filament or Metal for Macintosh users. The higher mesh content may make G9 slower to render. So, if that's the case, I'll definitely wait.

I think that one thing that people are forgetting is that even tho Genesis 9 has double the polys of Genesis 8, it still has THOUSANDS less than Vicky 4, Vicky 3, etc. and so forth. I think even one subD won't give G9 as many polys as Vicky 4 has. If you can easily use the Generation 4 figures, G9 isn't going to be a big issue.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Pendraia said:

Mattymanx said:

Leonides02 said:

Mattymanx said:

Just to correct a misunderstanding that is going around:

The Genesis 9 texture maps are NOT 8K they are 4K except for the nail maps which are 1K.  The skin DETAIL maps are up to 8K.  Arms, legs, body and head detail maps are each 8K.  The male and female genital maps are 4K and the nail details are only 1K.  The detail maps are optional and do not load by default.

What is the difference between a texture map and a detail map?

Texture maps being your regular set of diffuse, spec and normal maps.  The detail maps are normal maps that are loaded in the PBR skin shader under the detail section, normal map channel.

Thanks for pointing this out Matty!

You're welcome Pendraia!

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

AllenArt said:

inquire said:

I am disappointed, though I should state I have not yet seen the video nor the content chat, wherever those are. I was hoping for DS 5 and for Filament or Metal for Macintosh users. The higher mesh content may make G9 slower to render. So, if that's the case, I'll definitely wait.

I think that one thing that people are forgetting is that even tho Genesis 9 has double the polys of Genesis 8, it still has THOUSANDS less than Vicky 4, Vicky 3, etc. and so forth. I think even one subD won't give G9 as many polys as Vicky 4 has. If you can easily use the Generation 4 figures, G9 isn't going to be a big issue.

Unless you're working with an old, slow card the difference in mesh size has so close to a negligble difference in render time you won't notice it.  Some things like SSS have a much bigger impact. 

• Jason Galterio said:

Why is it the creator's responsibility to double check the naming? Yes, they should make sure their own morphs don't conflict, but they can't possibly check against all other morphs in the DAZ store.

TBH, if I made morphs for DAZ, which will never happen, I would add in TVD6261110 to my naming convention simply because it's something that someone else is EXTREMELY unlikely to use. The three letters of my artist name plus  an easy to remember number set that only means something to me.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,482
    edited September 2022

I've seen a lot of concern over how well genesis 8 clothing converts to genesis 9. Since I have done a lot of conversions over the years, and this one will be another added to the roster, I figured I'd answer.

The answer is, as well as it ever has. Gen 3-8 was the easiest, because the figures were so close... not just in mesh, but in scale. But each generation has certain pitfalls. Some things will go nicely and arguably, better than before, but there are some places where it always fails.

Gen 8-9 has similar usual pitfalls.... high heeled shoes as usual, coz of the way we rig them (we freeze the bones on genesis in a high heeled shoe pose and transfer the rig to that... because it's how it has to be done) And also, anything that contains extra bones (clothy bits like loin cloths and such, which I personally do a lot) You have to take special consideration if you are trying to convert those clothy bit rigs onto the new conversion. With genesis 9, this does get sticky here, as you need a g8-g9 clone (which helps mitigate the proportional differential between the two figures in the geometry... it's not quite similar as genesis 3-8.) And as such, the bones have to be adjusted as well, since they will sit a lot higher after converted. I'm sure daz will have a g8-g9 clone eventually to make that easier (I made my own for the meantime, so I don't have to wait... and if u are savvy, you could do that too)

The next pitfall is poses. Gen 3-8 wasn't too awful, coz there was a 6 degree difference in the arms and legs (one could work that out easy enuff even without a converter) but with this, even tho the default pose isn't that different, the mesh is... the bones are named differently and so forth. There are pose converters coming, tho, and these work VERY well (tho, the one I've got doesn't on h.poses, but there's workarounds for it and it was only a beta iteration that was given to us for the time being, to help us make stuff)

There's also been commentary on how well it will go masc to fem and vice versa. This works a lot easier this time, because the default shape is more middling than genesis 1 was. This will alleviate not only stretching in the uv's, but also weirdness and difficulty getting that weirdness out in the geometry. But as genesis 1 goes, not all clothing by design is gonna work for a man, if it was made for a woman (much like secret deodorant lol) the things Im working on now.... very feminine. But that still doesn't have to stop you... I'm just not likely to support the male when it won't logically or aesthetically fit.

Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,616
    edited September 2022

Masterstroke said:

I see one big progress with G9, that I really like.

Bye, bye semi-toon base figure.

...they will intead be add on character shapes as they were with G (maybe 3DU might revive Sadie & Sam again?).

Tynkere said:

Been revisiting aweSurface to start migrating away from nVidia GPU game.  I wonder if there's even a a topic for 3DL that isn't necro!  : 0 !

...been thinking the same myself but need to get a much higher core count CPU like a Broadwell 18 core Xeon (have only 6 cores currently) and a boatload of memory like 64 GB (only 24 GB presently) beforehand. 

Richard Haseltine said:

kyoto kid said:

Mada said:

G8 clothing will fit G9 with autofit - same as always. High heel shoes won't, same as before. I keep on seeing posts that it won't work. Yes it will lol

...so clothing content for older figures prior to G8 (which is the majority of my clothing content as I don't use dForce) won't work?

Nothing was said about clones for older figures, but if there are none it will still be possible to convert to Genesis 8 then 8 to 9.

...as I mentioned from my experience clothing converters tend d to be rather hit or miss. Also, "converting" a conversion of a conversion sounds sort of like making subsequent photocopies of photocopies. 

Havos said:

When Jay autofitted a G8F item onto G9 I noticed the other options in the Auto fit drop-down list of clones. I spotted Genesis, G2F, G2M, G3F, G3M, G8F and G8M, so whilst we can not be certain that G9 will ship will all these clones on day 1, I rather suspect that it will.

...I  didn't catch that as like I mentioned earlier I had to watch it on a phone so it was impossible to read the menus and popups on his screen.  If it comes with those clones i nteh essentials that makes things a bit better.  Still the downside is there will be no cross generational  "character mixing" as G9 has a denser mesh and the PA who created and updated Generation X is no longer with us.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited September 2022

Well, no more bets. Did you win? I didn't. I bet that DS5 would accompany G9 in the announcement and was sadly disappointed as I would have preferred DS5 alone rather than G9 alone and G9 left my jaw unmoved in any direction. Earlier in the betting I even considered NVidia Omniverse or USD intergation - again my hopes were dashed.

Post edited by marble on

marble said:

Well, no more bets. Did you win? I didn't. I bet that DS5 would accompany G9 in the announcement and was sadly disappointed as I would have preferred DS5 alone rather than G9 alone and G9 left my jaw unmoved in any direction. Earlier in the betting I even considered NVidia Omniverse or USD intergation - again my hopes were dashed.

Yes, I "guessed" right (G9) because NextOS leaked "the upcoming Genesis 9" in the forum several days before the Daz announcement, and then Daz themselves leaked a G9 clothing product. It became very obvious that G9 would be at least part of the big announcement. What shocked me was that the presentation was done by Jay Versluis and not a Daz employee.

• Timbales said:

I skimmed through when I saw it was a new Victoria. Was there anything revealed about the next version of Daz Studio?

See the log file - 4.20.1.x will eventually be 4.21.x.x

edited September 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Timbales said:

I skimmed through when I saw it was a new Victoria. Was there anything revealed about the next version of Daz Studio?

DS log file? Change log?

I can't find anything about 4.20.1.X becoming 4.21.X.X in the change log.

Post edited by barbult on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

barbult said:

marble said:

Yes, I "guessed" right (G9) because NextOS leaked "the upcoming Genesis 9" in the forum several days before the Daz announcement, and then Daz themselves leaked a G9 clothing product. It became very obvious that G9 would be at least part of the big announcement. What shocked me was that the presentation was done by Jay Versluis and not a Daz employee.

Yep, it became clear that it would be G9 pretty quickly but I still thought that G9 might require DS5 so I included that in my expectations. Sadly, they made a few tweaks to 4.20 and DS5 is still off the radar. Clearly there is more money to be made with a new figure (and all the ancilliary stuff that needs to be purchased again) but, as a few people including myself have already mentioned - DAZ is falling behind the curve as the technology advances and I very much doubt whether DS5 will be anything close to cutting edge. We will still have poor animation, slow renders and pathetically slow cloth sims.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Better hope they're putting that mega grant to good use.

• kyoto kid said:

Tynkere said:

Been revisiting aweSurface to start migrating away from nVidia GPU game.  I wonder if there's even a a topic for 3DL that isn't necro!  : 0 !

...been thinking the same myself but need to get a much higher core count CPU like a Broadwell 18 core Xeon (have only 6 cores currently) and a boatload of memory like 64 GB (only 24 GB presently) beforehand. 

24GB RAM is more than enough for most things in 3DL, core count, of course, is what matters speedwise. Granted, more is always better))

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944
    edited September 2022

Even though it was as most of us guessed it would be in Genesis 9, there were genuine surprises in some of the things they did like merge Genesis 9 back as one character again and how much the realism improved.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • marble said:

barbult said:

marble said:

Yep, it became clear that it would be G9 pretty quickly but I still thought that G9 might require DS5 so I included that in my expectations. Sadly, they made a few tweaks to 4.20 and DS5 is still off the radar. Clearly there is more money to be made with a new figure (and all the ancilliary stuff that needs to be purchased again) but, as a few people including myself have already mentioned - DAZ is falling behind the curve as the technology advances and I very much doubt whether DS5 will be anything close to cutting edge. We will still have poor animation, slow renders and pathetically slow cloth sims.

I Have to agree with you, Marble. My hopes were dashed as the presentation unfolded. I thought is this all there is? Jay is giving all the I'm so excited hype. Umm G9 figure still looks plastic out of the box with a tango skin texture the expression was very toonish but a lot better than 8.1 out of the box. As I mentioned on the forum before, we will see what D5 has to bring to the table, Like you would like better and faster cloth simulations, loading times improved, better shader system. Hey Daz is free but so is blender, and although  I am not a great fan of blender if they can make improvements almost on a yearly basis why does Daz creep along at a snails pace always playing catch up?  but the time that D5 eventually arrives if it arrives the industry  could well be  be streaks ahead again ?

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,774
    edited September 2022

Hey Daz is free but so is blender, and although  I am not a great fan of blender if they can make improvements almost on a yearly basis why does Daz creep along at a snails pace always playing catch up? 

@ragamuffin57

Not a fair comparison.

The two business models are not the same

Blender is free &open source thus improved constantly by Both internal and external developers.

All of its core code base is accessible to the public.

Blender is largely funded by a  privately  supported Foundation

( with some revenues from content sales on blender market ).

Also Blender is a full 3DCC in the same class as Maxon Cinema 4D or Autodesk Maya.

Daz studio is a purpose built platform for the  Figures & content products sold in the commercial Daz store ,and in that regard, it is more than adequate

Constantly criticizing Daz studio for not having professional IK/FK Character  animation systems and “soft body dynamics”
    ( whatever that means)cool 

is also not fair.

You have all of these features in the aforementioned FREE Blender at the cost of complexity and steep learning curves.

or in MAYA , Max or C4D at the cost of complexity ,steep learning curves

and money for subscriptions.

And You have most of these features in the Reallusion Iclone/ CC4 software with simple easy to use controls at  the entry cost of $900 USD 

and the native Iclone store content is appallingly more expensive than the Daz offerings .

Even the bondware’s poser costs $250 before you even start buying content beyond the simple base figures it includes.

It would seem we cannot have software that is free, fully featured and simple to use.

But that applies to all aspects of life to be honest.

(dupe removed)

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited September 2022

wolf359 said:

Hey Daz is free but so is blender, and although  I am not a great fan of blender if they can make improvements almost on a yearly basis why does Daz creep along at a snails pace always playing catch up? 

Not a fair comparison.

Blender is free &open source thus improved constantly by

Both internal and external developers.

(dupe removed)

Agreed to a point  Blender is open source and many of the programs enhancements or its development as a whole is due to the many users wanting to make contributions to its further development. Therefore has a  pool of unpaid enthusiasts helping to drive the blender project forward.  As you say private foundations also contribute financially.  Daz  Has also had a financial contribution from one of the major players I believe correct me if I am wrong :). But where Blender has a pool of non-paid enthusiasts,  Daz on the other hand is a business and sells assets to create revenue. So my point was not very well presented Daz has revenue which could be used to keep Daz studio regularly updated and very relevant not as it is now years of any major development and then always playing catch up. Although  I still like Daz  I Just wish it would get itself together and start making a program that works and have external exporting options ironed out it does seem that Daz could greatly improve its already numerous offerings in Studio . Let's hope D5 has the bug fixes and minor to major improvements the forum community are hoping for

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

ragamuffin57 said:

marble said:

barbult said:

marble said:

I Have to agree with you, Marble. My hopes were dashed as the presentation unfolded. I thought is this all there is? Jay is giving all the I'm so excited hype. Umm G9 figure still looks plastic out of the box with a tango skin texture the expression was very toonish but a lot better than 8.1 out of the box. As I mentioned on the forum before, we will see what D5 has to bring to the table, Like you would like better and faster cloth simulations, loading times improved, better shader system. Hey Daz is free but so is blender, and although  I am not a great fan of blender if they can make improvements almost on a yearly basis why does Daz creep along at a snails pace always playing catch up?  but the time that D5 eventually arrives if it arrives the industry  could well be  be streaks ahead again ?

I'm very much in the same boat. I was hoping for a major overhauls to Studio itself to bring it up-to-date with current industry standards. DAZ feels woefully outdated when compared to some of the solutions we have out there today. Instead we got a shiny (more resource intensive) figure running on the same ol' DAZ. Things like soft-body physics and (close to) real-time RT feel like a pipedream. You can give an deck out an old car with shiny new rims but if the engine is shot, it's going nowhere fast. 

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

3DRT said:

ragamuffin57 said:

marble said:

barbult said:

marble said:

I'm very much in the same boat. I was hoping for a major overhauls to Studio itself to bring it up-to-date with current industry standards. DAZ feels woefully outdated when compared to some of the solutions we have out there today. Instead we got a shiny (more resource intensive) figure running on the same ol' DAZ. Things like soft-body physics and (close to) real-time RT feel like a pipedream. You can give an deck out an old car with shiny new rims but if the engine is shot, it's going nowhere fast. 

So what are the current industry standards?
  • barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Timbales said:

DS log file? Change log?

I can't find anything about 4.20.1.X becoming 4.21.X.X in the change log.

Sorry, the chnage log - and no, it doesn't say that in the log but nevertheless we are told that when there is a final reelase of the 4.20.1.x branch it will be done as 4.21.x.x - 4.21.x.x is not a separate branch that has not yet been revealed.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

DAZ_ann0314 said:

Just so everyone knows, there should be a FAQ answering some more questions etc coming tomorrow heart

@DAZ_ann0314 So yesterday came and went.  Is there a new ETA for this FAQ? 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

Sevrin said:

DAZ_ann0314 said:

Just so everyone knows, there should be a FAQ answering some more questions etc coming tomorrow heart

@DAZ_ann0314 So yesterday came and went.  Is there a new ETA for this FAQ? 

Today. Which is any day. LOL

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

wolf359 said:

@ragamuffin57

Not a fair comparison.

Blender is free &open source thus improved constantly by Both internal and external developers.

Also Blender is a full 3DCC in the same class as Maxon Cinema 4D or Autodesk Maya.

Daz studio is a purpose built platform for the  Figures & content products sold in the commercial Daz store ,and in that regard, it is more than adequate

Constantly criticizing Daz studio for not having professional IK/FK Character  animation systems and “soft body dynamics”
    ( whatever that means)cool 

is also not fair.

You have all of these features in the aforementioned FREE Blender at the cost of complexity and steep learning curves.

or in MAYA , Max or C4D at the cost of complexity ,steep learning curves

and money for subscriptions.

And You have most of these features in the Reallusion Iclone/ CC4 software with simple easy to use controls at  the entry cost of $900 USD 

and the native Iclone store content is appallingly more expensive than the Daz offerings .

Even the bondware’s poser costs $250 before you even start buying content beyond the simple base figures it includes.

It would seem we cannot have software that is free, fully featured and simple to use.

But that applies to all aspects of life to be honest.

(dupe removed)

Exactly, DAZ is a fantastic program for what it's supposed to be -- a place to use the models. It's not a modelling app, it's not a full-on animation app, and so on. They're not "falling behind" because they're not competing with those other apps.

It's like criticizing Maxxon for falling decades behind in their assets store -- where's their answer to all of DAZ's models and textures? Sorry, that's not Mason's market, and Macon's market isn't DAZ's market.

Rather than "compete" with Maya, for example, they provided a bridge to use DAZ assets *in* Maya. Why would they try to compete with Blender when they and other users can give us a bridge and/or utilities to move our stuff *to* Blender?

When the comparatively simple features that DAZ might have start hampering your work, you have the ability to move your work and sets elsewhere, which at the end of the day can be a number of 3D destinations with the price tags starting at "free".

DAZ is much further ahead than most at what DAZ does.

@barbult: Thanks very much for the link.

I must say I'm surprised that so many opinions seem to agree with mine. I expected a lot of disagreement with my views. Yep, another figure. And of those I mentioned yesterday, I even left out Dawn and Dusk, and La Femme, and L'Homme, and several Poser figures and morphs of Poser figures that depended on another figure, etc. So, no, I'm not happy that it's another figure. Maybe if I'd started with Genesis 8, I'd be enthusiastic.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited September 2022

Tossing my two cents in. Just my opinion...

I pre-purchased the Pro Bundle for V8. The price, after discount, was in line with the other Pro Bundles recently. Maybe even a little lower than the historical "entry" models.

I've been using Poser since the V3 days. Switched over to DS at inception.

I'm willing to give the first entry a shot and see what happens.

In comparison, the Base V3 model cost $60 in 2003. With inflation, that would be $95 today. That's with no hair, no clothes, the basic morphs, and one skin.

Would love to compare it to the V4 release, but can't really remember when that came out or when I bought it. So it isn't easy to find in my orders.

Happy to see that its going back to one body, rather than a male / female break.

Will be happy to see fewer stretched skins and skin seamlines. This seems to be the case, at the moment, but of course is dependent on the skins themselves.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on