Carrara 8.5 & Genesis 3 - Victoria 7?

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

i even haven't tried G3 or V7 in DS as there was no interest for me in this figure after i've realized that there is no compability to Carrara. But than the Install Manager put that to my libary as it was available for free.

Put what to your library, when? I've not seen anything but may have overlooked it. I'd think that DIM would have picked up on it for me.

Not campatible with Carrara is *very* dissapointing. However... it hasn't stopped me from jumping on the G3 bandwagon and getting V7 and a few of the others especially with HD morphs.

John [awaiting M7], ~Wilson Graphic Design~

• I have to say that I'm pretty dissapointed. I just purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro and V7, and even though I got a really good deal on the bundle, to find out that I can't even use V7 in Carrara totally ruined everything.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147

I have to say that I'm pretty dissapointed. I just purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro and V7, and even though I got a really good deal on the bundle, to find out that I can't even use V7 in Carrara totally ruined everything.

you have 30 days to get your money back .

edited October 2015

I have to say that I'm pretty dissapointed. I just purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro and V7, and even though I got a really good deal on the bundle, to find out that I can't even use V7 in Carrara totally ruined everything.

Did they come bundled together...this I didn't see nor understand. While I purchased both in separate orders I'm dissapointed also. *Still* happy with both. G3/V7 can be incorporated, read on, into Carrara however she is not a *native*. I'll be satisfied when C8.x imports her or a plug-in is written to do somethng like the Collada format, export DAZ Studio then Carrara import G3/V7 and make adjustments. Sounds like a job for a simple script doing the same for clothing, hair etc. Now I'm wondering if Carrara has user scripting support. If not sounds like a good suggestion to me.

John ~Wilson Graphic Design~

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,830

the fact her clothing loads in carrara makes me think there is only a minor thing causing the outright crash, sadly carrara has no log file to see what it is, I think it may something be in the duf or data file (well obviously) but just what is something a developer needs to solve,

minor changes in notepad by me had interesting effects, I tried replacing the on with off for smoothing and it no longer crashes but goes through a list of stuff not found.

I tried that as a hunch as duf content loads with smoothing on in the vertex room.

Now have M7 which I just tried tonight in Carrara to see what would happen. Loading of M7 also crashes Carrara so they not yet changed anything in the DUF or DATA file for M7. Oh well... now I'm twice bitten by the G3F/M problem.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

We know that Daz are working on a new version and i would expect Genesis 3 (both male and female) to be supported in a new version.  Hopefully it won't be too long to wait.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i tried exporting g3m as a cr2. tried exp ticked and unticked.

this is all that survived, transporter malfunction >.<

didnt work for poser either

scap Eddie.JPG
    1782 x 976 - 145K
    scap Eddie ps.JPG
    1870 x 882 - 172K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Yeah, G3 is some impressive figure work, to be sure. Very impressive. I really hope that they can give us compatibility. But for me there still aren't enough items available for Genesis 2 or even Genesis 1 for me to switch over completely. Generation 4 models work so wonderfully in Carrara, render very well, and have SO MANY support items (being around without competition for so many years) available that I'm having difficulty switching over entirely. I've made my Genesis 2 versions of my main characters, Dartan and Rosie, and I really like them. The actual body shapes are so much more realistic looking. So I collected some nice costumes for them and optimized everything - have them nicely saved to my browser. Then the time came to animating them. Simple? Absolutely. Very nice rigging, very nice joints, and the clothing works really well. But I'm having a hard time reproducing the wonderful expressions that I've so easily been using for my V4 Rosie. So I loaded her up to have a look and compare - see if it could help me dial in some nicer expressives. Oh... that little V4 Rosie stole my heart back again! When she's in trouble, when she's happy, when she's angry or upset, surprised, worried, busy thinking, tired, fatigued, overly energetic... man... if I need her to illustrate a mood... there it is... and she's so easy to work with. I don't have nearly as many expression products for Dartan, but he doesn't really need them. Those that came with Morphs++ along with the Morphs++ Base expressive features have been giving me evrything I need for him.

Genesis and Genesis 2 are really nice though... don't read me wrong here. Genesis 3 is scary-good. I love that DAZ 3D is pushing out high-end tech. It's been my opinion that they are my go-to source for humanoid figures all along and I've never needed to look elsewhere. Genesis 3 not working in Carrara simply makes me not look at the figures or their products - making me look more into expanding upon my Genesis and Genesis 2 collection. My main figures needing to remain as Generation 4 figures for now does not mean that I'm not constantly trying to force the switch. My Genesis 2 heroes are fun to play with. A few more expressive products for Rosie and she might just jump on board. Dartan is nearly ready now - just waiting for more costumes to choose from. 

The main thing for me, though, is simple. If it doesn't load into Carrara, I won't officially use it. I can't. Iray takes too long to render, so I thought I could get faster performance from 3Delight - but it's actually even worse! Top that with the fact that when I try to build a scene in DS as I do in Carrara, it lets me know far in advance that it just can't handle it and gets really slow. I'm not trying to rip on DS, but I'm not going to take my rendering workload over to something that is slower to render and simple cannot handle my needs coupled with the fact that it seem to entirely lack any and all of the super-awesome effects that I've grown so used to using with a click in Carrara. Frankly, I'm surprised that more Poser/DS users aren't subscribed to Carrara. There's just no contest between them, IMHO.

Oh... and I wanted to also say:

Phil, those are some fine renders, my friend and mentor!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm using every character i can, lol.  sff has plenty of room 

edited December 2015
    PhilW said:

We know that Daz are working on a new version and i would expect Genesis 3 (both male and female) to be supported in a new version.  Hopefully it won't be too long to wait.

Now that G3M is out hopefully we will see the new version or at least a fix/update to Carrara early next year. Noticed that DAZ just released Olymipia 7 which I'll not be purchasing that or any other G3 figure until it is supported by Carrara. Will be opening a ticket and letting DAZ Sales *know* this. Hopefully everyone else will also.

BTW: Your videos are Very Good. They have been able to fill in the voids, have great tips and you explain everything very well.

Yeah, those tickets is the way to go. 

Also, I agree. Phil is an excellent course instructor. I play those courses over and over while my wife watches her Cop/court/hospital/cooking/comedy stuff on the TV! I like these lessons much better than the darned TV(exception being Star Wars - The Clone Wars)!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 2015

Also, I agree. Phil is an excellent course instructor. I play those courses over and over while my wife watches her Cop/court/hospital/cooking/comedy stuff on the TV! I like these lessons much better than the darned TV(exception being Star Wars - The Clone Wars)!

or you could goto utube and watch for free

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carrara+tutorial

Post edited by bigh on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    PhilW said:

Would that be  Carrara 9  surprise or a new version of G3/V7/M7 that work in C8.5. ? 

*******************************************************************************************

Dartenbeck  said  "  super-awesome effects that I've grown so used to using with a click in Carrara.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more Poser/DS users aren't subscribed to Carrara. There's just no contest between them, IMHO.t unquote

Couldn't agree more - we all need to be evangelists and spread your message. 

bigh said:

I've watched a lot of Carrara tutorials on youtube.com and will continue to, even have a few bookmarked. They range from ok to well done. All are useful for doing one thing or another. Having more than one person's way to do anything, from using a computer program to chopping wood to cooking, only broadens one's knowledge.

BTW: I filed a disatifaction request ticket to DAZ Sales to let them know I'll not be purchasing anymore G3 figures until they work in Carrara which is what I purchased figures/content for.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166

LOL, you too huh?  My wife watches those same shows...  I'll have to try watching Phill's videos some more :-)

0oseven said:
    PhilW said:

Would that be  Carrara 9  surprise or a new version of G3/V7/M7 that work in C8.5. ? 

*******************************************************************************************

I don't know for sure but I think it will be a new point release of Carrara 8.5 which gives Genesis3 compatibility.

I just opened a new discussion in Product Suggestions for Carrara Needs and Wants

• Is too late for Santa this year, so assume giving him a year to get cracking on it. yes

edited December 2015
    bigh said:

There is that, but that is nowhere near as complete or concise. Phil's courses have a wonderful flow to them and have been professionally edited. Not to mention all of the wonderful material that comes with them.

EDIT:

But on that note, there really is a lot of cool stuff on YouTube - even if it's not meant strictly for Carrara, or even for something else entirely. So many of the tools I see folks using for techniques on CG workflows have a Carrara counterpart, which is SO COOL!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Does anyone know if Gen3 uses the same Texture Maps as Gen2?

I made myself some skin textures for Gen 2 Male... and would love to be able to re-use them on Gen3, when the new Carrara Version gets released.

• No sadly UV's are quite different, Blacksmith 3D paint has a convertor on the market otherwise using near vertices to bake it in Blender a free but fiddly way.

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited December 2015

Oh well :-/

I wish Daz would not change these Dolls constantly so drastically that people cannot re-use their self-made stuff. 

No Gen 3 for me then. I put simply too much time into my V4/M4 and Gen2 stuff as that I would start all over again with Gen 3 and then later with Gen4 O_o this is annoying.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
    edited December 2015

I may have found a third painful way

it actually worked but I could not export the result

I converted maps to vertex colors in Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro on G2f and exported the obj with vertex colors

I imported her obj and G3F with her clone morph obj into meshlab and did the transfer vertex colors between two meshes

it worked but I could not export any sort of meaningful map or maps

RawArts Jaguar, pretty safely unuseable but put meh all over it and made it tiny in case
    only to show what happens

G3F_color.jpg
    800 x 800 - 219K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2016

I saw a few converters that may do the trick from V4/M4 to Genesis 2. Try Zev0 and DraagonStorm for this. Note that I haven't bought all the package(s) yet so can't attest to how wel it works. Perhaps one or both of them will create one to go from G2 to G3. I already have the one from Blacksmith 3D, which does V4/M4 to G2 F/M and add-on for G3F, but it would be nice to have someone elses to compare the results with since the results will vary.

I can do JaguarElla with clones, she is in fact a V4 dial up and have Genesis, and genesis 2 M&F versions of her.

A G3 shape quite doable too, I have looked at the Blacksmith product, it is in my wishlist and untill G3 supported in Carrara there is no hurry, was fiddling while I wait, may have much time to fiddle!

I wish Daz would not change these Dolls constantly so drastically that people cannot re-use their self-made stuff. 

No Gen 3 for me then. I put simply too much time into my V4/M4 and Gen2 stuff as that I would start all over again with Gen 3 and then later with Gen4 O_o this is annoying.

I hear ya. The thing is, they have to push their limits right now, I think. It's just a nature of the beast. They still sell stuff (even new coming out) for Genesis, Genesis 2, even V4/M4 and earlier. Genesis 3 truly is impressive. They've got movie houses coming in for their latest tech... I'm personally glad that they're giving them what they need. But I'm also glad that it's not like: Okay, no more Generation 4 stuff. 

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

I hear ya. The thing is, they have to push their limits right now, I think. It's just a nature of the beast. They still sell stuff (even new coming out) for Genesis, Genesis 2, even V4/M4 and earlier. Genesis 3 truly is impressive. They've got movie houses coming in for their latest tech... I'm personally glad that they're giving them what they need. But I'm also glad that it's not like: Okay, no more Generation 4 stuff. 

I really love the new Genesis 3/V7 character , she is killer. I wish there was some compatibility with Carrara on that front.

That said, Genesis 2 has a LOT more life left in her and I think Daz should have held off on releasing a new figure until the current one had been taken farther.

Just look at V4. New and interesting items are coming out for her after all these years. Fixes for various problems have been released and she is a great workhorse STILL!

Genesis 2 should have been allowed to grow BEFORE the big switch.

I'm still running C7Pro, so I'm still running with V4 and probably will continue until I hear that Genesis 2 and DUF work flawlessly in Carrara 8.5 (which i do own, but have yet to install).