• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited August 2015

My attempt at getting G3F into Carrara.  rename to My Movie.mp4

txt
    txt
    My Movie.mp4.txt
    Post edited by ProPose on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

ProPose - but how did you do it? Was it loaded into Carrara and animated there, or did you animate in DS?  And do the morphs work?

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

Just curious...this thread started about 5 weeks ago, and some users said they submitted tickets asking about support for V7/G3. And I guess they got initial responses from DAZ saying we aren't sure we'll ask the developers.

So did DAZ every reply to those tickets with an answer?

Thanks.

PhilW said:

ProPose - but how did you do it? Was it loaded into Carrara and animated there, or did you animate in DS?  And do the morphs work?

Sorry, I should have given it more thought before I posted the clip, but, a usual, life gets in the way sometimes.

I exported G3F out of Daz 4.8 as a .dae file.  YES, animated in Daz.  Collada export has a animation check box, so I used that.

Imported that into Carrara 8.1 (yes 8.1) and the figure came through as all the bones, but sadly, no animation.

So I took that same collada file into Autodesk FBX converter (it's free) and turned it into an fbx file.

Imported that into Carrara, and that gave me an animated G3F,but, the clothing did not animate at all.  More hair pulling, i'm almost bald.

So I took that fbx file into 3DX6 (pipeline), and all looked good in that program.  The anim played the same as in Daz Studio.

I did not characterize the figure for iClone, (thought i'd do that later), but I exported the figure as another fbx, with a differnt name of course.

Imported that into Carrara 8.1, and what you saw is what I got.

As I mentioned, life got in the way and I had to run. 

I did do another test using the same steps with facial animation, and the result was just as good.

Thanks for the details. Interesting, but sounds too complicated for me - until it is working natively in Carrara, I won't really be interested.

• On my visit to Siggraph 2015 next week I'll ask about the status.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,824

I did basically the same thing except I actually exported her to iClone too.

using the bones in expression editor I could bring facial animation from iClone over to Carrara too.

using the bones in expression editor I could bring facial animation from iClone over to Carrara too.

I was actually motivated by your efforts, and I have no problems getting G3F into iClone.  I just never thought of bringing the result back to Carrara.  I mean, what's the point?

ProPose said:

I was actually motivated by your efforts, and I have no problems getting G3F into iClone.  I just never thought of bringing the result back to Carrara.  I mean, what's the point?

uhm  Dynamic hair, metaball particles, IBL (octane render in my case) a few reasons, yes I use iClone a lot, is fast and easy but gotta love Carrara heart for a much more beautiful render engine (lightyears faster than Indigo)

ProPose said:

uhm  Dynamic hair, metaball particles, IBL (octane render in my case) a few reasons, yes I use iClone a lot, is fast and easy but gotta love Carrara heart for a much more beautiful render engine (lightyears faster than Indigo)

Don't get me wrong, I have no intentions of abandoning Carrara, Carrara is more than just an assembly room.  It's the only modeller I use. Plus I always find myself trying to get "other" things working in Carrara. I agree on your thoughts on the rendering options.  Carrara's is still my fav.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

On my visit to Siggraph 2015 next week I'll ask about the status.

thanks Ringo

I hoped in vain since a new update was in DIM it would fix it

I am a fool

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207

Just curious...this thread started about 5 weeks ago, and some users said they submitted tickets asking about support for V7/G3. And I guess they got initial responses from DAZ saying we aren't sure we'll ask the developers.

Thanks.

Official answers I got from my tickets:

1. The person replied they'll pass this onto tech support. (regarding G3 / V7 Carrara support)

2. Yes, it'sa known issue that Carrara will crash when conforming more than G2 3 clothing items to G2, and to just continue keep clothing the figure in Daz Studio and import into Carrara.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited August 2015

@jadeonar - this is  the first that I've heard of the genesis 2 issue with more than 3 clothing items.  I don't have that problem and don't want to derail the Genesis 3 thread.  Would you mind describing the problem with genesis 2 and multiple clothing items in the best practices thread?  Such as, is it an every time problem for you, or only sometimes?  Etc.  I am trying to have that thread be a place where I can direct new users so they know what problems to expect (and on occasion a work around or a solution, but the problems in any case).

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/882238/#Comment_882238

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

@jadeonar - this is  the first that I've heard of the genesis 2 issue with more than 3 clothing items.  I don't have that problem and don't want to derail the Genesis 3 thread.  Would you mind describing the problem with genesis 2 and multiple clothing items in the best practices thread?  Such as, is it an every time problem for you, or only sometimes?  Etc.  I am trying to have that thread be a place where I can direct new users so they know what problems to expect (and on occasion a work around or a solution, but the problems in any case).

Sure, will do a bit later today when I have time :)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    Stezza said:

With new technological advancements, Genesis 3 is even more compatible with other industry standard 3D applications to increase ease of cross platform use

All except their own..

I didn't bother renewing my PC subs here at Daz.. And I just purchase content now from the other stores like Hivewire, Renderosity and other smaller content creators.

G3 has not proven to be more compatible for me. She's less compatible than G2F is :( FBX and DAE rigging is far worse, and her UV setup doesn't work in one of my software(though I may be a minority there).

Pending DAZ sorting out compatibility for G3 in Carrara (and I am still hopeful of this), this product could be useful if you want to use an item of G3 clothing, with it you can fit it to G2 and proceed from there:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s?utm_source=bm23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Genesis+3+Female+for+Genesis+2+Female%28s%29&utm_content=Check+Your+Compatibility&utm_campaign=%2808%2F14%2F15%29+Genesis+2+Compatibility+Sale

Thank you.  I saw it there.  Appreciate it. 

Jadeonar said:
    diomede said:

Sure, will do a bit later today when I have time :)

Stezza said:

With new technological advancements, Genesis 3 is even more compatible with other industry standard 3D applications to increase ease of cross platform use

All except their own..

I didn't bother renewing my PC subs here at Daz.. And I just purchase content now from the other stores like Hivewire, Renderosity and other smaller content creators.

G3 has not proven to be more compatible for me. She's less compatible than G2F is :( FBX and DAE rigging is far worse, and her UV setup doesn't work in one of my software(though I may be a minority there).

Which program?   G3 loads and poses fine in fbx and collaa format - loading in 3ds max 2016 and Vue 2015.  Hadn't tried the new 2015.3 lightwave update yet, tho the notes mention some fbx fixes.

• So brintg it to a point:

If you want to work with G3 in Carrara, you first have to load it into Studio or iClone, then export it to Collada or fbx, then import into Carrara, where you can save her as Carrara object.

So whats about the morphs and rigging?

As far as I am concerned, G3 does not work properly in Carrara yet.  You can get partially working figures through exporting and importing, but nothing which I have seen that gives full functionality.  The "yet" in my first sentence is important though!

• Thank you Phil.

I think G3F has a lot of potential. But as long she is not supported by Carrara, I boycott all G3 items in the store... even the real interesting ones.

• While I can get her (G3F) in and talking via iClone, she is a resource hog using most of my RAM and hard to save as a Carrara scene that reopens, so I have not bought a single G3F only clothing or hair etc  item (a few for both her and G2F at no extra cost) the exception being the animation converter if I want to use her in DAZ studio in any freebies I might grab.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166

Howdy Folks,

Could someone who has sucesfully exported Victoria 7 as either COLLADA or FBX and got it to work correctly, share thier settings?  Everytime I export as COLLADA, the mesh does not follow the bones, and is useless.  The FBX export just plain doesn't work for me.  Thanks!

Rich S.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2015

Thanks.

I did. You basically answered yourself. The person I got a hopeful response from said "they are considering this", "not currently being worked on" also "no timeframe" of when. Basically only a respone which leaves me hopful. I'm also hopeful that I won't have to wait for the next upgrade version of Carrara and that G3 suport can be an update to Carrara. I recently bought Carrara 8.5 Pro along with V7, HD and additional V7 and G3 content... been using Carrara 4 Pro since Eovia times and on DAZ only skipping ver7.

The race is on for me! Who will support G3 first Carrara or Lightwave. This will determine which program gets to the finish line first!

John ~Wilson Graphic Design~ [drumming fingers impatiently on table]

Post edited by wgdjohn on

I had the same problem.  Stezza answered in another thread.    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/882238/#Comment_882238

There are pictures there with arrows, but here are the quotes.

diomede64 said:

Personally, when I tried collada, the mesh did not follow the bones, but I have seen other people be successful.

If people discover work arounds or other uses, feel free to add to the thread. I am returning the V7 that I purchased. If it gets support, or if I use DS more, I will re-acquire it.

After exporting the posed figure from DAZ Studio in collada format import the collada file into Carrara 8.5

Select the bones of the figure and then either do one of two things..

1. Select the Transform tab then click on the HP->Obj button

or

2. Select a bone in the assembly room window

the figure will then pose to the bones

do this with each of the items ie.. figure.... clothing...hair ect..

you will probably need to also rotate the clothing/hair to match the figure

that's how I do it.. hope it helps :-)

LinkRS said:

Howdy Folks,

Could someone who has sucesfully exported Victoria 7 as either COLLADA or FBX and got it to work correctly, share thier settings?  Everytime I export as COLLADA, the mesh does not follow the bones, and is useless.  The FBX export just plain doesn't work for me.  Thanks!

Rich S.

That works to be able to pose the figure with bones, but there is no access to any morphs within Carrara, although morphs set up in DS will come across.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166
    diomede said:

I had the same problem.  Stezza answered in another thread.    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/882238/#Comment_882238

There are pictures there with arrows, but here are the quotes.

diomede64 said:

Personally, when I tried collada, the mesh did not follow the bones, but I have seen other people be successful.

If people discover work arounds or other uses, feel free to add to the thread. I am returning the V7 that I purchased. If it gets support, or if I use DS more, I will re-acquire it.

After exporting the posed figure from DAZ Studio in collada format import the collada file into Carrara 8.5

Select the bones of the figure and then either do one of two things..

1. Select the Transform tab then click on the HP->Obj button

or

2. Select a bone in the assembly room window

the figure will then pose to the bones

do this with each of the items ie.. figure.... clothing...hair ect..

you will probably need to also rotate the clothing/hair to match the figure

that's how I do it.. hope it helps :-)

LinkRS said:

Howdy Folks,

Rich S.

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.  This issue has been seriously hampering my purchases.  Almost every Genesis 3 item I want, just goes on my wish list, and I only purchase if it is Genesis 2 or Victoria 4 these days.  It is really dissapointing that DAZ did this...

• i even haven't tried G3 or V7 in DS as there was no interest for me in this figure after i've realized that there is no compability to Carrara. But than the Install Manager put that to my libary as it was available for free.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2015

Nearly every answer I've read here about exporting as Collada to get G3 sounds good. It will be Great  if/when, I suspect when, we have Carrara fully supporting G3 with morphs. Perhaps someone is working on a morph to Carrara "transfer utility" at this moment.

Post edited by wgdjohn on