Carrara 8.5 & Genesis 3 - Victoria 7?

Comments

• RestifRestif Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

There are some nice improvements I noticed on the G3 model, was able to export collada and open in Carrara. The bones for the facial expressions can be good, but from first look would be pretty tough to control accurately in Carrara. Maybe setting up the pose/scene and importing the figure then do the rest in Carrara, but, if that is it I wouldn't be tempted.

Ha, Plus I finally got my main V4 character transferred to Genesis 2, the thought of having to do it again......

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Thanks Phil, Ringo, and the rest of you that braved the unknown to give us Carrara users information and a glimpse of V7/G3F.

I guess I'll be submitting a ticket.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

The problem is sales figures only show sales figures, they don't know which of the customers is using the products in Carrara, and they don't know which are using it in Bryce. They see the sales of Bryce only or Carrara only content, and think that the two programs don't generate the volume of sales they like. What we need to do is somehow get them to understand that the (for example) 61 pages of purchased products in my product library are used in Bryce, or in your case Carrara.

Maybe they could set up a way for everyone to list as "Registered Carrara (or Bryce) Users" so when we make a purchase, they know we will be using it in Carrara or Bryce.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825
    edited December 1969

Collada gives some hope at least, it means dressing and animating in studio sadly the latter bit I loath but at least it may be possible to render her in carrara scenes, I too will try it and lipsync, dunno if my fractured cr2 will work in mimic pro unless DAZ provides a DMC.

edited December 1969

Collada gives some hope at least, it means dressing and animating in studio sadly the latter bit I loath but at least it may be possible to render her in carrara scenes, I too will try it and lipsync, dunno if my fractured cr2 will work in mimic pro unless DAZ provides a DMC.

If her expressions are based on Bones not morphs I don't know if mimic will work. worth a try.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

If her expressions are based on Bones not morphs I don't know if mimic will work. worth a try.
    There are still morphs as well for expressions and all phonemes, so it should be possible to get it to work with Mimic.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

Imported from DS via Collada

she looks a bit thin!!

V7Collada_Import.jpg
    800 x 600 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Imported from DS via Collada

she looks a bit thin!!

Yes, the arms definitely look a bit spindly here!
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    chohole said:

The problem is sales figures only show sales figures, they don't know which of the customers is using the products in Carrara, and they don't know which are using it in Bryce. They see the sales of Bryce only or Carrara only content, and think that the two programs don't generate the volume of sales they like. What we need to do is somehow get them to understand that the (for example) 61 pages of purchased products in my product library are used in Bryce, or in your case Carrara.

Maybe they could set up a way for everyone to list as "Registered Carrara (or Bryce) Users" so when we make a purchase, they know we will be using it in Carrara or Bryce.

That sounds like a good idea, not sure if they would go for it though

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I downloaded the Genesis 3 starter kit (it's free) and I noticed that none of of the aniblocks I own and none of the BVHs work! Although all those work with V4/M4, Genesis and Genesis 2, none of them work with Genesis 3. I understand that Genesis 3 has a new architecture, but... maybe I'm missing something,,, but how are we going to animate Genesis 3?

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

There are still morphs as well for expressions and all phonemes, so it should be possible to get it to work with Mimic.

Good to know, this will make working with her easier for sure.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    I downloaded the Genesis 3 starter kit (it's free) and I noticed that none of of the aniblocks I own and none of the BVHs work! Although all those work with V4/M4, Genesis and Genesis 2, none of them work with Genesis 3. I understand that Genesis 3 has a new architecture, but... maybe I'm missing something,,, but how are we going to animate Genesis 3?

by hand or wait for new aniBlock . :-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    argus1000 said:

by hand or wait for new aniBlock . :-)
    There is a pose conversion tool already available - maybe some enterprising soul will be able to produce something to convert animations as well. But hand crafted animation will still be possible of course.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,825
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

iClone and 3Dx pipeline :lol:
    and at least that imports into carrara, I can manually make phoneme NLA clips I suppose
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Here is the Response I got from My Ticket.

Cristina Galloway, Jun 24, 09:02:
    Hi Doug,

Unfortunately, at this time; Genesis 3 content will not work in Carrara. I am going to consult with the developers, and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
    Crissie

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately, at this time; Genesis 3 content will not work in Carrara. I am going to consult with the developers, and will let you know what I find out.

Thanks,
    Crissie

I received the same reply this morning.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

And me. There was I thinking I had got an actual personal written response. Sigh.

edited December 1969

Me too... at least they are aware of a ground swell of opinion on this matter!

• edited December 1969

AAAAAAHHHH!!!! They don't even officially support Gen2 characters and they are releasing Gen3??? This is driving me mad! (And yes, I may be a bit behind the times since all the others here have already noticed it, but I just got the message. *sigh* )

Boojum

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

iClone and 3Dx pipeline :lol:
    and at least that imports into carrara, I can manually make phoneme NLA clips I suppose
    I have to first to be able re-target Genesis 3 through 3DXchange to work in iClone, then, after being animated, back into Daz Studio, but what would be the use if I can't get Genesis 3 to work in Carrara in the first place? Carrara is not able to handle Genesis 3, if I understood correctly.
    edited December 1969

AAAAAAHHHH!!!! They don't even officially support Gen2 characters and they are releasing Gen3??? This is driving me mad! (And yes, I may be a bit behind the times since all the others here have already noticed it, but I just got the message. *sigh* )
    Boojum

I am not even sure that is the official line, but in practice Genesis 2 characters work fine. There are some things that don't work, like the HD stuff they released, but the advantages of that are pretty marginal in my eyes. I use Genesis 2 figures a fair amount and rarely have much issue with them, so don't be unduly put off.
  • CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Sent support tickets to both Tech Support and Sales ... I let them know I buy content for use soley in Carrara, and only use Studio for its few Genesis tools Carrara doesn't have.

And yes, I did end up buying Victoria 7 Pro bundle and a few items released today, tried loading them in Carrara natively , watched Carrara crash, and sent in the support tickets.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited June 2015

I don't buy Genesis (I usually use the Toon Generations characters), but always could in the future if a Toon morph comes out that is amazing...

That said, when you guys contact Daz, are you including their own marketing comments and asking for clarification as to why Carrara, their own product, is not included?

Quote:
    DAZ Studio is powerful free software that allows you to manipulate DAZ 3D content, and also has built in file export capabilities. This means that all of your DAZ 3D content can easily be imported into other popular 3D software tools such as 3DS Max, Mudbox and Maya. Export formats include Autodesk FBX, COLLADA, and OBJ, BVH, and Universal 3D. Files can also be exported as Alembic, by purchasing the add-on Alembic Exporter for DAZ Studio. New technological advancements, such as Dual Quaternion weight maps, triangle free mesh, reduce polygon count and UDIM standard UVs, make Genesis 3 even more compatible with other industry standard 3D applications for ease of cross platform use.

End quote

Or do they not consider Carrara a "popular" software? Or why they would not suggest using their own software to edit the character?

They recently have put Carrara on sale several times, so they are trying to increase the number of users, but they don't have an info page on it, and they don't support it with their latest and greatest character . . . Well, I think somebody can logically approach them on this and hopefully get a good answer. Enough people are getting more than a little worried/frustrated.

Sadly, any potential new Carrara buyer who comes to check the forums before purchasing will just see a bunch of people griping, get scared off and . . .

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • porthos62porthos62 Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Hi Doug,

Thanks,
    Crissie

I got the same :-(

• CoolBreezeCoolBreeze Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

porthos62 said:

Hi Doug,

Thanks,
    Crissie

I got the same :-(

This is a good thing, for the simple reason they are seeing Carrara users going "Hey, I'm a Carrara user and can't get Victoria 7 to work!"

Submit a ticket to Sales also, explain your a Carrara user, not a Daz Studio user. All the content you buy (save for a few plugins for Studio in which you use as a utility program, not as a render program).

We all squeak enough in a crowd, hopefully they'll finally see Carrara is alive and well.

There's only a few other program suites that can do what Carrara does, besides up until now, load all Daz content natively, and without needing additional plugins. Outdoor scene creation - sky, clouds, sunlight, terrain generation, all without needing HDRI's or photographs. Only Vue comes close, and I don't know whether if it can load any Genesis content natively.

Even for a while now, we've recently gained some new render engine alternatives - Octane render, Luxus and LuxCore.

There's alot of people here using Carrara as you can see by the forum activity. There is the free Genesis 3 Starter Essentials for Studio thats free to download. If every Carrara user downloaded it, installed it, tried to load Genesis 3 in Carrara, get the crash then submit a ticket to both Sales and Support (And please don't be rude about it) , Daz might lend us an ear and provide Daz_Spooky some dev support and resources.

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited June 2015

The main page of DAZ3D.com

says it all in very simple words in big bold letters

"Thousands of assets for DAZ Studio, 3DS Max, Maya, & Poser"

When you look at all the samples of type of production been done in fields ranging from video, illustration, design not a single one mentions Carrara.

For a first time users visiting the DAZ3D site they would never know that DAZ owns and sales Carrara.

Boojum

Post edited by ringo monfort on
  • TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited June 2015

To show you how Carrara must be thought of ....

Go to main page and search for Carrara and click on Carra 8.5 Pro

notice there is still a beta version listed at more cost than the released version

Schirmfoto_2015-06-26_074225.jpg
    735 x 410 - 42K
    Post edited by Tastiger on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Tastiger said:
    To show you how Carrara must be thought of ....

Go to main page and search for Carrara and click on Carra 8.5 Pro

notice there is still a beta version listed at more cost than the released version

That's just a quirk of the store software (or so it was explained to me), you can't read anything hokey into it. Basically it's a product that's only available for free and on request from registered owners of 8.5. Their accounting system requires that the product is in the store and has an SKU, but they can't just set it as free, or everyone will download it. So they slap a silly price on to discourage casual shoppers from putting it in their basket.

They've done it before on DS products too.

• TastigerTastiger Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

That's just a quirk of the store software (or so it was explained to me), you can't read anything hokey into it. Basically it's a product that's only available for free and on request from registered owners of 8.5. Their accounting system requires that the product is in the store and has an SKU, but they can't just set it as free, or everyone will download it. So they slap a silly price on to discourage casual shoppers from putting it in their basket.

They've done it before on DS products too.

Ah that explains it - is there anything different between the 8.5 beta and the released version?
    - not that I really want to play with a beta, just interested to know

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

I submitted a ticket

here is a link to the page to submit a ticket if you would like to

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new