Carrara Sale Email Message Alert thread

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

yes  Kewl... Alina be waiting patiently for me to download/install. :)

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Phil, Dart, UnifiedBrain, John, thank you guys for the kind words!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I haven't really tried it out yet - but I have bought it!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you Phil. I hope you will not be disappointed.

Vyusur said:

Thank you Phil. I hope you will not be disappointed.

How could I be! laugh

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

A couple of new items in freebies today.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Huge list of PAs on sale PhilW, TangoAlpha, mmoir and I'm sure other Carrara PAs amongst the list which includes Petipet and more... there is a new Mega Bundle and another PC+ only freebie... a spaceship... kewl.  There was 1 new freebie in that section for me... probably more for others who don't have them.

Also in the Aniversary sale there are some *low* priced Debut and Still new items to get bigger discounts on probably everything. Kewl.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Gonna blatently plug my store is at 47% off, cos no one seems to have noticed wink

Mine too!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Gonna blatently plug my store is at 47% off, cos no one seems to have noticed wink

Great!  Got the Apple Orchard, looks very nice, and in Carrara format!  Puts me up to 11 of your 14 products (don't tell my wife ...), with three on my Wishlist.  I notice some say "DAZ Originals", some don't.  Is that just up to DAZ, what they think will sell better?

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The Daz Originals are sets I sold to Daz back in the summer. They now own them outright; I have no say in what they do with them.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,815

Hexagon is now free by the looks of it

for those that haven't got it... hmmm

get it here

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Even if people don't download or install the current version of Hexagon, I'd recommend getting it from the store just in case a new version ever does appear (cough) and there is a lower upgrade price.

Diomede said:

Even if people don't download or install the current version of Hexagon, I'd recommend getting it from the store just in case a new version ever does appear (cough) and there is a lower upgrade price.

I am not a modeller, preferring to buy the great and affordable content from talented modellers (Poser and Carrara format, not DS/DUF).  I do use Carrara's Model room for tasks like lopping off a piece of a model, creating a new material zone, and similar edits to purchased models.  Will Hexagon improve these types of edits?  It would seem less cumbersome to stay in just one program, but I dunno ... 

edited November 2017

Accoding to Daz Steve, a 64 bit version of Hexagon is in the works and Daz intends to add Hexagon to its free offerings with Studio.

Compared to Carrara, Hexagon has more types of tools in several categories of modeling functions, but that doesn't mean it can actually model something that Carrara cannot.  If you become familar with Hexagon, you may be able to do some of your edits in fewer steps than if you use Carrara.  It s very unlikely that you would be able to do an edit that you would not be able to do with Carrara.  If you ever migrate to duf files, the bridge between Hexagon and Studio can be very convenient for quick morphs and adjustments.

Steve K said:
    Diomede said:

I am not a modeller, preferring to buy the great and affordable content from talented modellers (Poser and Carrara format, not DS/DUF).  I do use Carrara's Model room for tasks like lopping off a piece of a model, creating a new material zone, and similar edits to purchased models.  Will Hexagon improve these types of edits?  It would seem less cumbersome to stay in just one program, but I dunno ... 

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

It s very unlikely that you would be able to do an edit that you would not be able to do with Carrara.  If you ever migrate to duf files, the bridge between Hexagon and Studio can be very convenient for quick morphs and adjustments.

Okay, thanks for the prompt response.  The first sentence above makes my decision, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  For my limited modelling purposes, Carrara ain't broke, at least not enough to learn a new app, always a disincentive.  The "bridge" between Carrara's modelling and 3D rooms is pretty seamless.  For doing short animations, my main goal, I really can't foresee switching to DS/DUF.

Diomede said:

Yes, if you are working in Carrara anyway and aren;t doing major modelling work, then the vertex room and the integration into Carrara (such as being able to model in the Assemble Room as well) certainly beats having to export something, open another program, adjust something there, re-export back to Carrara. Although if you do pick up Hexagon, there is a lot of similarlity between it and the vertex room modeller, so the learning curve will be a little less.

Also if you are aiming to do animations, Carrara is just a better environment to do that, Daz Studio even with various add-in tools which will cost you and which you will need to any serious animation in DS, still can't match what Carrara can do natively.

PhilW said:

Yes, if you are working in Carrara anyway and aren;t doing major modelling work, then the vertex room and the integration into Carrara (such as being able to model in the Assemble Room as well) certainly beats having to export something, open another program, adjust something there, re-export back to Carrara. Although if you do pick up Hexagon, there is a lot of similarlity between it and the vertex room modeller, so the learning curve will be a little less.

Also if you are aiming to do animations, Carrara is just a better environment to do that, Daz Studio even with various add-in tools which will cost you and which you will need to any serious animation in DS, still can't match what Carrara can do natively.

Thanks, Phil, good to know I'm not missing something.  Seems like DAZ might be, tho ... laugh

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235

Free item every 4 hours today (Thanksgiving US) ;)

My first two:

Harpoon Girl (Genesis 2 Female(s)) and Feminine Touch for Genesis (Genesis 1)

Steve K said:
    PhilW said:

Thanks, Phil, good to know I'm not missing something.  Seems like DAZ might be, tho ... laugh

Still not sure how well this works for Carrara 8.5 yet, but I used to use Hexagon Bridge all the time to add a whole new morph category to content figures, which are locked otherwise.

This way I could make a morph for the figure (be it clothing, hair, or the figure itself) that spans the entire figure, or parts of it, without having to do, say, Head protion of the morph, then Neck, and so on. With my new category spanning the whole figure, in Carrara I could select that from the drop-down list in the Model room to create a new morph into and have the entire mesh selectable/editable during the morph-creatio process, which is awesome!

I think this can all be done without Hexagon though. I realized that it was Morph Loader (not Pro) that was performing this task for me, so there's likely a way to do this another way.

That's how I made the new morphs for Rosie's hair and her robe. 

Steve K said:
    PhilW said:

Still not sure how well this works for Carrara 8.5 yet, but I used to use Hexagon Bridge all the time to add a whole new morph category to content figures, which are locked otherwise.

This way I could make a morph for the figure (be it clothing, hair, or the figure itself) that spans the entire figure, or parts of it, without having to do, say, Head protion of the morph, then Neck, and so on. With my new category spanning the whole figure, in Carrara I could select that from the drop-down list in the Model room to create a new morph into and have the entire mesh selectable/editable during the morph-creatio process, which is awesome!

I think this can all be done without Hexagon though. I realized that it was Morph Loader (not Pro) that was performing this task for me, so there's likely a way to do this another way.

That's how I made the new morphs for Rosie's hair and her robe. 

Okay, thanks.  A little over my head, I don't create morphs very often, relying on Morphs++, or whatever the vendor gives me (a lot, usually).  And I'm not familiar with Morph Loader.  But I sort of get it.  The screenshot shows Carrara's Model Room with the Morph menu open.  I can only create/edit morphs for individual body parts, I guess, not the whole figure?

Carrara Morphs.jpg
    928 x 535 - 138K

Right. If you ever decide to make morphs that have to span more than one body part on legacy figures, like V4, K4, M4, for example, let me know. 

Again, I'm not sure how well this works with the new DUF-compatible changes in 8.5, but the morph targets and such that I made using Carrara 8 work fine in 8.5

edited November 2017

Oh... but I was going to add that, while it's Free, it might be a great thing to add, even if you don't install it. It will remain yours, then, even if they decide to start charging for it.

Hexagon discussion going on here

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Oh... but I was going to add that, while it's Free, it might be a great thing to add, even if you don't install it. It will remain yours, then, even if they decide to start charging for it.

Hexagon discussion going on here

Hexagon 2.5 is in my list of purchased DAZ items, I've had it for five years, apparently.  I don't remember getting it or using it.

• It was free several years ago. I picked it up too. 

I've also picked up a couple of freebies from the 4-hour free items - Happy Thankgiving to all my American friends!

Right. If you ever decide to make morphs that have to span more than one body part on legacy figures, like V4, K4, M4, for example, let me know. 

Thanks, very generous.  That has never occurred to me before your mention, I think my imagination is not that limber.  cool

PhilW said:

I've also picked up a couple of freebies from the 4-hour free items - Happy Thankgiving to all my American friends!

Thank you Phil! Cheers!!! (Single Malt Irish Whiskey with my Dad and Me!)

Steve K said:

Thanks, very generous.  That has never occurred to me before your mention, I think my imagination is not that limber.  cool

It's funny what a Need will drive a person to dig into and discover! 

I needed a morph to represent wind flowing on the robe. Without the new Morph category, I could only model a new morph on each specific body part in turn, which is very hard for me. Just by having something to select from that Morph Creation list that allows me to select any polygon no matter where, it made all the difference! So I did that same procedure to the hair as well. 

PhilW said:

Happy Thankgiving to all my American friends!

Thanks, Phil.  Thank you for all the helpful Carrara tutorials.

edited November 2017

Well, I missed the early part of the sale, but I picked up this most recen freebie.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  Even if you don't celebrate it, (or you are like the Canadians and celebrate during the wrong time wink​), it is a nice sentiment that I hope everyone can appreciate. 

Post edited by Diomede on