Carrara Sale Email Message Alert thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thanks mindsong

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Filter Forge 6 is debuting today.  What is not clear is which version it is - Basic, Standard, or Professional.  If it is Pro, this is a better deal than is on the FF website.

There is a thread about it in the Commons, but nobody seems to know for sure.

Howiefarkes and Holyforest are in megafast today.

I know a bit about Howie (his PA name is an alias) but I must admit, I don't know anything about Holyforest.  Can someone fill me in?  Has Holyforest been active on the forums in the past?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I think that over in the Commons they have quite successfully worked out that the version in the store is the Pro version because of the attributes they say it has which are not in the standard edition.

and di I really sayy that without any punctuation, shame on me. 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,696

I know a bit about Howie (his PA name is an alias) but I must admit, I don't know anything about Holyforest.  Can someone fill me in?  Has Holyforest been active on the forums in the past?

Question on Howiefarkes' Harpsburg for Daz (duf only)... Has anyone tried to import it into Carrara? (I see the native Carrara Version, and appreciate the energy it would take to re-texture it in Carrara after importing from a DS duf, but the dual-use feature is still of interest, as I would only be getting one version for now...)

RE: Holyforest... I've been looking at those materials for years, but thought they a bit rich for the wallet unless I had a real project-driven need (then they're a deal...). My fear is that store is nearing the short-list... ~ $100 to get 'em all with some clever buying strategy, but I don't have it right now. I think Howie's store is safe for a while.

cheers,

--ms

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,934
    edited October 2017
    mindsong said:

Question on Howiefarkes' Harpsburg for Daz (duf only)... Has anyone tried to import it into Carrara? (I see the native Carrara Version, and appreciate the energy it would take to re-texture it in Carrara after importing from a DS duf, but the dual-use feature is still of interest, as I would only be getting one version for now...)

RE: Holyforest... I've been looking at those materials for years, but thought they a bit rich for the wallet unless I had a real project-driven need (then they're a deal...). My fear is that store is nearing the short-list... ~ $100 to get 'em all with some clever buying strategy, but I don't have it right now. I think Howie's store is safe for a while.

cheers,

--ms

I have gone the other way long before the DAZ studio version 

got it into iClone too.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    th3Digit said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

got it into iClone too.

OK thanks, good to know - I assume any export (from Carrara or DS) will lose most of the surfaces in any target app... Did Howie use instancing in either/both? If so, how does that export?

FWIW, (short-term as it is...) by picking up the 'https://www.daz3d.com/flyer-eagle'; ($2.79 PC+) in 'still new', you can get the 75% off mega-fastgrab and get the holyforest 'collection' for ~$60-ish (and Howie's stuff for less as well).

urg.

--ms

edited October 2017
    mindsong said:
    th3Digit said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

got it into iClone too.

OK thanks, good to know - I assume any export (from Carrara or DS) will lose most of the surfaces in any target app... Did Howie use instancing in either/both? If so, how does that export?

FWIW, (short-term as it is...) by picking up the 'https://www.daz3d.com/flyer-eagle'; ($2.79 PC+) in 'still new', you can get the 75% off mega-fastgrab and get the holyforest 'collection' for ~$60-ish (and Howie's stuff for less as well).

urg.

--ms

https://daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/677530/#Comment_677530

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wheee howoe stuff.

tee hee  forest drive has a deer crossing sign.

a dragon crossing sign ould be kewl too.  minotaur crossing, orc crossing

th3Digit said:
    mindsong said:
    th3Digit said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

got it into iClone too.

urg.

--ms

https://daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/677530/#Comment_677530

Nice - and both virtual tour videos in that thread are inspiring in showing the potential. Beautiful world he built. Thanks for the pointer.

--ms

mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Well put, as usual.  I have the same concern.  Whoever Holyforest is, the products look very nice, yet they are getting pretty old.  But Howie is safe forever.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Holyforest shaders are excellent... I had all but Water until a few days ago.  UB they might be old but I have used many in some the renders in Modeling thread and elsewhere.  They all, I think, use procedurals and no tmaps... they are interesting to look at for great examples as how to create the many looks they accomplish.  Note that you will also need Anything Goos from DCG for Corroded City...  I believe all others use Carrara shader functions.

wgdjohn said:

Holyforest shaders are excellent... I had all but Water until a few days ago.  UB they might be old but I have used many in some the renders in Modeling thread and elsewhere.  They all, I think, use procedurals and no tmaps... they are interesting to look at for great examples as how to create the many looks they accomplish.  Note that you will also need Anything Goos from DCG for Corroded City...  I believe all others use Carrara shader functions.

John, that was useful information, thank you.  However, please understand, when I said they were getting old, it was in reference to the possibility of Daz culling his/her product, and not because of the quality of the product.

If Holyforest was ever active in the forum, it was before my time.  Is Holyforest still around?

edited October 2017

she was on Rendo too, I bought some of her shaders there years ago

https://www.renderosity.com/?uid=34800

can link as gone sad see I followed

edited October 2017
    Chohole said:

I think that over in the Commons they have quite successfully worked out that the version in the store is the Pro version because of the attributes they say it has which are not in the standard edition.

No offense, but please keep reading that thread.  The subject is far from settled.  

And to Wendy, thanks for trying!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited October 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Thanks for that endorsement - Like UnifiedBrain, I have no more information than anyone else here on the 'culling' process, but holyforest's products have been there for a long time, and I haven't seen any new additions since I've been watching it. If our great Dartanbeck has been culled, I can't imagine some of these other stores aren't in that same boat. Can't afford to grab 'em and can't afford not to. urg. *brilliant* sales ploy, that. urg again. Good to know the corroded city leverages 'Anything Goos'. That's one of the ones that caught my eye. I have AG so I'd be OK.

Good to know that those shaders are excellent, and I hope a few of us can grab a few and maybe keep that store open for as long as possible. Precious vendors.

Again, ~$50 for all of 'em with the PC-club and 'flyer-eagle' for a few more hours...

ETA: don't forget to add one of the free 'winter-bundles' in the middle of that promo-page if you choose to by the 'still-new' item! And... you can buy the 'flyer-eagle' more than once... urg. The Nieves V4 bundle has a really intriguing skin that may be useful as-is, or retasked as a bump or spec, or SS on another V4 skin, etc.

cheers,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    mindsong said:
    Can't afford to grab 'em and can't afford not to. urg. *brilliant* sales ploy, that. urg again.

I'd rather not believe that it is a nefarious sales ploy, but the thought did cross my mind.  If it is a ploy, it worked, as I bought a (single) Holyforest product.  TA said that the sales threshold for keeping a store open was very low, so maybe a few sales will be enough.

edited October 2017

Betomelo got culled too, not a Carrara PA but made genesis content that worked in it namely the Celts, there is a lot of culling taking place storewide,

Like UB, "a sales ploy" is what I thought also... I had bought all that were must haves earlier last year, all but one of Dart's and many to most by other Carrara PAs.  I'ts been rough seeing items in my wishlist go on sale and only grab a few.   But call me paranoid but I do feel that this borders on pressure sales tecniques, in my mind... it would be nice if we were told which PAs are in jepordy of being culled... so we don't waste money at this time on those that will be around for awhile longer.

I continue to grab Carrara content and DS content... but after last year have had to put myself on a tighter budget. :(

th3Digit said:

Betomelo got culled too, not a Carrara PA but made genesis content that worked in it namely the Celts, there is a lot of culling taking place storewide,

todays sale has a sale link to kittystavern, but link is 404

they culling active sale stores?

Matcreator in megafast today.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Is it the very kitty's tavern?

old_saloon.png
    1000 x 683 - 1M
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2017
    Mistara said:
    th3Digit said:

todays sale has a sale link to kittystavern, but link is 404

they culling active sale stores?

That store was removed right at the beginning of the sale,   it somehow seems to have crept back into view,    It was reported when first seen, and has since been removed from MFG.   you need to hard refresh your store page if you are still seeing it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    Vyusur said:

was a pa in the mega sale this morning.

lol,  kitty's tavern saloon most famous in the west 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Mistara said:
    Vyusur said:

was a pa in the mega sale this morning.

lol,  kitty's tavern saloon most famous in the west 

I grabbed yesterday The Old Saloon and extra (Kitty's) textures for $1.95 per item. For some reason I like the default texture much better.

MMoir, Naomi, Sadot, and Ringo all in megafast today.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

I noticed that Sadot's "HDRI Orphanage" does not show Carrara at the top, but does in the fine print.  Also, I recommend Sadot's "The Cinema", good deal for under $4.  I used it in this one minute animation:

Thanks UB and SteveK... grabbed something from everyone above except Naomi... I would like her hair but don't know how or if it will work on G2... if anyone knows that it can please let me know and I'll go back and grab some more.

can squeeze a BMF set into cart.  groan creak

for some reason i'm no closer to buying a 10-core than i was 8 months ago 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited October 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Thanks UB and SteveK... grabbed something from everyone above except Naomi... I would like her hair but don't know how or if it will work on G2... if anyone knows that it can please let me know and I'll go back and grab some more.

The key is whether the hair product is designed on the mesh of the figure or whether it has a hair cap.  If it is on a hair cap it is usually relatively easy to adapt to another figure.  If not, then have to insert a ghost figure and align with the one you want.  I don't know about all hair products.  However, here is the info that I have on the ones that I own, which includes more than Naomi.

on hair cap - easily adapted to other figures

5 times a lady
    casual chic
    charm
    diversity
    dp a6 sport dynamic
    long locks
    men only razor cut (split)
    adrea hair
    samples
    swept away
    V4 short n sassy

on model - harder to adapt to other figures 

4 ladies only
    dynamic desire hair
    dynamic dulce hair
    dynamic romance hair
    dynamic venus hair
    everyman hair
    men only flat top and facial hair (split)
    addison hair
    crista hair
    side long hair
    skye hair
    real fur millenium big cat, dog, cat
    teddy bear fur
    V4 enchanted

Post edited by Diomede on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Quick question for anyone who knows.  I was looking at the renders for Mmoir's Mystic Gorge and noticed that in the 3rd sample render on the page there's a shot from standing on the bridge and looking between the two structures, looks like there's the entrance to a cave there.  Is that right, or are my eyes deceiving me?  On the other hand, I suppose even if there isn't an entrance to a cave, I could make one.  This is Carrara, after all :)  So I have no excuses.