Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

nicstt said:
    MEC4D said:
    I am getting myself additional 2 x GTX 980 for my upcoming B-day lol

Personally I'd sooner have the one Titan X for the extra memory; it's going to be interesting if Directx 12 allows graphics cards to share memory for rendering too.
    ...that would be a huge boost if it could.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

My power supply will not allow me to have any extra card beside Titan X and while rendering everything get busy , having 2 cards I can make better choice , beside 2 cards will give me more power ..I will thinking about what to do, and maybe go with Titan X and have just cheaper small card for the desktop

nicstt said:
    MEC4D said:
    I am getting myself additional 2 x GTX 980 for my upcoming B-day lol

Personally I'd sooner have the one Titan X for the extra memory; it's going to be interesting if Directx 12 allows graphics cards to share memory for rendering too.

edited December 1969

I will see what I can do :)

Kyoto Kid said:
    MEC4D said:
    Yes it looks like the same function , some diffuse maps need less it depend of the color saturation as some have it really over the head
    I will make tonight a video tutor of my editing and setting of the SSS so you can adopt and see for yourself

tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...those of us without Photoshop don't have quite the same toolset (or things are not labelled the the same between different applications). I recognise the Saturation channel but Gimp or PSP do not have anything called "Vibrance".

PSP X7, the AFAIK latest version, has, under Adjust > Hue and Saturation > Vibrancy.

I haven't tried it in DS yet, though, but it seems to do the exact same thing as Vibrance in Photoshop.

...I wish it would be in PDF format. I have very poor retention with videos.
    edited April 2015

Playing with Tone Mapping and stuff
    hair and clothing done in Zbrush

back to the 90's ... aka The Zapper lol

Dorian2_Iray_2015.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 858K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...those of us without Photoshop don't have quite the same toolset (or things are not labelled the the same between different applications). I recognise the Saturation channel but Gimp or PSP do not have anything called "Vibrance".

PSP X7, the AFAIK latest version, has, under Adjust > Hue and Saturation > Vibrancy.

I haven't tried it in DS yet, though, but it seems to do the exact same thing as Vibrance in Photoshop.

...ach, only have PSP X4 Was unemployed when X5/X6 came out so I couldn't get the upgrade price for X7. Also they no longer offer a physical version, just electronic download. Like having that backup install disk.

PSP X7

As in Paint Shop Pro v.7?

No, as in PaintShopPro v 17

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited April 2015

MEC4D said:
    ...( not specular color as that is already always the same RGB 51 51 51 )...

If you wouldn't have said "already always" I'd dare to dissent on that. :down:

From what I got out of Sébastien Lagarde`s article about the physically based shading model, the specular color is connected to the materials' Refraction Index/IOR value.
    If one would have set his RI/IOR value to 1.41, a RGB color of 51 51 51 would be correct. Using 1.40 or 1.44 instead, as I've read in some shader building descriptions, would just be plain false. For 1.40, using the formula from this article you'll get a linear sRGB color value of 0.027778, it should rather be RGB 50 50 50, and for 1.44 (linear sRGB color value of 0.032518) RGB 54 54 54.

Sc0tt Games Specular Cheat-Sheet for Physically-Based Rendering fortunately already have some ready to-use-values for skin listed, so that one don't have to spend precious time doing weird calculations.
    I made up an Open Office Calcsheet and wiling to share if there is interest.

Well, I guess that no-one will get killed from using RGB 51 51 51 for different IOR values, but using most exact data will get more exact results playing in our new PBR sandbox.

Absulutely AWESOME!
    The mustache is soo 19th century. GREAT.
    Wished I could get my skin look even half that nice... *sigh*

F(0°).JPG
    588 x 106 - 23K
    Post edited by Arnold C on
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I will see what I can do :)

Kyoto Kid said:
    MEC4D said:
    Yes it looks like the same function , some diffuse maps need less it depend of the color saturation as some have it really over the head
    I will make tonight a video tutor of my editing and setting of the SSS so you can adopt and see for yourself

tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...I wish it would be in PDF format. I have very poor retention with videos.
    ...many thanks.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Stefan, I got the 51 51 51 from the PBR charts
    If you use RI/IOR values 1.41 or what I use 1.44 make sure the weighted values are on 1, if less like in my case 0.40 you need to add extra values or it will be less than 1.41/44 anyway I made the final setup of my shader today and it works fantastic from close up to far away renders , will be back later tonight with the showcase ;) prepared already some stuff so have to put the presentation together .
    And talking about specular .. don't forget that that the top coat is for the oil reflection and have nothing to do with the specular values of the skin , I am for plan to make also the universal Oil reflection map for the 10 different skin areas of the face .. as it sounds really interesting and may be good idea for testing it out ..

MEC4D said:
    ...( not specular color as that is already always the same RGB 51 51 51 )...

If you wouldn't have said "already always" I'd dare to dissent on that. :down:

From what I got out of Sébastien Lagarde`s article about the physically based shading model, the specular color is connected to the materials' Refraction Index/IOR value.
    If one would have set his RI/IOR value to 1.41, a RGB color of 51 51 51 would be correct. Using 1.40 or 1.44 instead, as I've read in some shader building descriptions, would just be plain false. For 1.40, using the formula from this article you'll get a linear sRGB color value of 0.027778, it should rather be RGB 50 50 50, and for 1.44 (linear sRGB color value of 0.032518) RGB 54 54 54.

Sc0tt Games Specular Cheat-Sheet for Physically-Based Rendering fortunately already have some ready to-use-values for skin listed, so that one don't have to spend precious time doing weird calculations.
    I made up an Open Office Calcsheet and wiling to share if there is interest.

Well, I guess that no-one will get killed from using RGB 51 51 51 for different IOR values, but using most exact data will get more exact results playing in our new PBR sandbox.

Absulutely AWESOME!
    The mustache is soo 19th century. GREAT.
    Wished I could get my skin look even half that nice... *sigh*

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Here´s my latest render of Olympia : )

olympiaportrait.png
    587 x 950 - 942K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897
    edited December 1969

Last version, new version.

I think for some purposes this would be too much, but I went with Contrast +60, Saturation 50%... and I think it gave the skin some great texture.

Luz_sipping4.png
    2000 x 1236 - 4M
    Luz_Sipping3.png
    2000 x 1236 - 4M
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

That is the single most amazing render I have ever seen!!

edited December 1969

Regarding my previous post... thoughts? Too splotchy?

edited December 1969

...my thought exactly.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Regarding my previous post... thoughts? Too splotchy?

Too splotchy for what?

No, not everyday use, but definitely something to consider keeping around.

I can think of a bunch of different scenarios where something like that would work.

Couple it with glossy topcoat for a very sweaty, after workout/fight look. Keep it kind dull/subdued gloss...first thing in the morning, before makeup...stuff like that.

edited December 1969

...a little goofy fun with the Pixar Campus.

This was composited with a separate render of just the background which I applied the Barrel Correction tool in PSP to to eliminate the "bowed" effect I was getting. Then I applied the "Wisest Sharpen" script in Gimp to clear some of the "fuzziness". After that I rendered the character and then the will o' wisp with Draw Dome turned off and combined them with the background.

Och, Now where have you led me?

Merida_pixar_test.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Cute, Kyoto. Heh

edited April 2015

cute indeed good job !

Kyoto Kid said:

This was composited with a separate render of just the background which I applied the Barrel Correction tool in PSP to to eliminate the "bowed" effect I was getting. Then I applied the "Wisest Sharpen" script in Gimp to clear some of the "fuzziness". After that I rendered the character and then the will o' wisp with Draw Dome turned off and combined them with the background.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited April 2015

MEC4D said:
    Thanks Stefan, I got the 51 51 51 from the PBR charts
    If you use RI/IOR values 1.41 or what I use 1.44 make sure the weighted values are on 1, if less like in my case 0.40 you need to add extra values or it will be less than 1.41/44 anyway I made the final setup of my shader today and it works fantastic from close up to far away renders , will be back later tonight with the showcase ;) prepared already some stuff so have to put the presentation together .
    And talking about specular .. don't forget that that the top coat is for the oil reflection and have nothing to do with the specular values of the skin , I am for plan to make also the universal Oil reflection map for the 10 different skin areas of the face .. as it sounds really interesting and may be good idea for testing it out ..

You're welcome. :)
    In your case the physically correct sRGB value for that RI/IOR would be 0.0325180 - 0.0325180 - 0.0325180 ~ RGB 54 54 54 .
    I tend to just copy and paste them in, 'cause when you type in this 54 54 54 RGB value into the DS color picker, the sRGB color will than be at 0.0328759, which would again be a completely different RI/IOR value, slightly higher.

Doh... I never thought about that theese could be connected, too. But now as you say it, it makes very much sense. And might be one out of a hundred reasons why I can't get rid of this boiled lobster look. LOL.
    If a weight value of .50 would mean, that you'll only get half the RI/IOR you did put into, that would explain something.

Yes, thank you, that Top Coat thing is one of the few things I already knew. Due to lack of accurate data I currently had set that as salty solution with an RI of 1.38. Sc0tt Games posted a nice source of refractive indexes (atomikateknik.com/pdf/Sample Dispersion & RI Guide.pdf). I plan to bathe them in Coconut or Olive Oil instead. I guess Mustard Oil would be too nasty.
    :lol:

Your oil map idea sounds really nice and interesting. Earlier today I thought about making a translucency/Shadow Catcher map by adding RED instead of subtracting it for parts of the face and body have a different blood flow, like lips, ears, cheeks... and would then receive more red than other body parts. In the past I worked sometimes with Photoshop 5 and now have to get used to the new UI layout of PS CS6. And I miss my "Magic Wand" tool, had been so easy to work with. Either they dropped it or hid it away. :gulp:

Post edited by Arnold C on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    Going through the steps without holding 'cntl':
    1. Load Hair
    2. Apply texture
    3. Apply Iray Uber Base
    4. Apply Hair Shader

It's weird you should be getting something like this.

hair.png
    600 x 800 - 462K
    edited April 2015

MEC4D said:
    cute indeed good job !

Kyoto Kid said:

..thank you.

I worked with the settings you mentioned, but no matter what I did (using the "ISO Paper - Portrait" framing in the General Render Settings), the curve effect still was pronounced even at a focal length of 135 I also remembered to scale the character down to 9% as well for at her full size, she appeared way too close to the camera.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

At least the composited image turned out.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Occams_RazorOccams_Razor Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    MEC4D said:
    cute indeed good job !

Kyoto Kid said:

..thank you.

I worked with the settings you mentioned, but no matter what I did (using the "ISO Paper - Portrait" framing in the General Render Settings), the curve effect still was pronounced even at a focal length of 135 I also remembered to scale the character down to 9% as well for at her full size, she appeared way too close to the camera.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

At least the composited image turned out.

You scaled the character down to 9% or the Dome down to 9%?

*confused*

edited December 1969

...both.

edited December 1969

jag11,

Thanks for the image. Now I know what it is suppose to look like. I will keep trying!

edited December 1969

Still trying to wrap my head around the scaling issues.

Here is my latest attempt with the Pixar Campus. How you guys are getting such exacting details and my attempts come out fuzzy I don't know but I am pretty sure I am at fault.

;)

As you can see "Gen" is as frustrated as I am with it all...

Pixar-HDRI-Test2.jpg
    874 x 699 - 329K
    edited December 1969

I think I've finally dialed in this character's look to where I like it.

It's V5Belle, diffuse is 40 Contrast, 50% saturation, then I use Skin Overlay to add vascularity and increase THAT to opacity 40%. Displacement comes from Skin overlay to add vascularity and skin details, plus regular Belle bump map.

Huff huff.

(I've been working on this a lot because Luy is one of the main characters of my web comic, and I really want to get her look worked out.)

I might tweak it a little more in other lighting, we'll see.

Luy_Sipping5.png
    2000 x 1236 - 4M
    edited April 2015

OcamRzr said:

Here is my latest attempt with the Pixar Campus. How you guys are getting such exacting details and my attempts come out fuzzy I don't know but I am pretty sure I am at fault.

;)

...I basically cheated.

Changed the dome size to 80 to get the camera position and angle I wanted, turned off the character, Rendered just the setting. First took it into PSP to fix the "barrel" effect (curvature to the image) then opened it up in Gimp and used a sharpen script to add more definition. After that rendered the Merida character and will o' wisp separately with the Draw Dome setting turned off, opened all in Gimp and composited the scene together.

One question, which HDRI resolution are you using, the 4000 x 2000 or the 8000 x 4000 one?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030
    edited December 1969

Hello, Sailor...

Hello_Sailor.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 370K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    OcamRzr said:

;)

...I basically cheated.

Changed the dome size to 80 to get the camera position and angle I wanted, turned off the character, Rendered just the setting. First took it into PSP to fix the "barrel" effect (curvature to the image) then opened it up in Gimp and used a sharpen script to add more definition. After that rendered the Merida character and will o' wisp separately with the Draw Dome setting turned off, opened all in Gimp and composited the scene together.

One question, which HDRI resolution are you using, the 4000 x 2000 or the 8000 x 4000 one?

8000 x 4000

I rendered both images separately but for the life of me can't get them to layer in Gimp...

edited December 1969

It seems no matter what hair I use, I get the same results.All the renders you guys are putting out is awesome! while my hair is looking like a molded piece of plastic. :(

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    It seems no matter what hair I use, I get the same results.All the renders you guys are putting out is awesome! while my hair is looking like a molded piece of plastic. :(

Which hairs did you tested on? or which ones you have in order to see if I also have them to make some testing...

This discussion has been closed.