Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

1444546474850»

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Nice work Stefan and I like the last render bellow mostly , but I see still the dark edges on the skin , what does not blend it well with the backdrop , forgot about Scatter and transmit on specular and top coat ?

don't use index/IOR on pupils it will glow red passing the translucency from the head skin , I was there with it before ..
    it is the best to use double values on the Cornea, to represent also the liquid inside between cornea and iris IOR 2.66 , it will create a hell of reflection so may reduced , the eye lens is behind the iris it does not matter here

MEC4D said:
    but your problem are the the textures to much discolorations

Your words in gods (or better the artists) ears. They may work in 3Delight, but used in Iray they're horrible.
    I made several sets with a different level of vibrancy reduction (-20, -30, -40, -50, -60) and rendered them in a Sun-Sky Environment (Elevation 35.0, Azimuth 45.0).
    The last render (3rd image on the right side) is the "standard" approach of dealing with translucency: diffuse texture simply slapped into the Translucency Color slot. Just for comparision.
    From the reducted ones I liked the -50 most, and so I did a quick "Pixar" of that, too. :)

I'd also like to post a list of the several refractive index/IOR values from my research and the corresponding specular color values for those who don't want to calculate them themselves. When there was no explicit value available, I used those of the basic material they're made of.
    The pupils are tricky: although they're just holes in the irises and so one might think they would have an IOR of 1.0 and a specular color of 0.0, but there isn't really a vacuum in there. The "hole" is filled with a fluid, and this one has a refractive value. I added the value for the human lens, which is almost directly behind, for those who want to use this one instead that of the fluid:

Bodypart Refractive Specular Color ("Glossy Specular")
    Index/IOR (linear sRGB)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cornea 1.376 0.0250430

EyeReflection,
    Tears; 1.336 0.0206890
    1.3365 0.0207410
    1.337 0.0207940

Skin 1.41 0.0289420 (Low Reflectance Skin)
    1.42 0.0301210
    1.43 0.0313130
    1.44 0.0325180
    1.45 0.0337360
    1.46 0.0349660
    1.47 0.0362080
    1.48 0.0374610
    1.49 0.0387250 (High Reflectance Skin)

Hair,
    Eyelashes,
    Fingernails; 1.54 0.0451980
    1.55 0.0465210
    1.56 0.0478520

Irises 1.43 0.0313130 (Collagen, hydrated)

Pupils 1.336 0.0206890 (Watery fluid "aqueous humor")
    [Lens 1.406 0.0284750]

Sclera (Base) 1.337 0.0207940 (Gelatinous "vitreous humor")
    Sclera (Top Coat) 1.43 0.0313130 (Collagen, hydrated)

Teeth 1.6510 0.0603040 (Hydroxylapatite; this also has a "Refraction Weight" of 0.0070)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the charts Stefan
    with the reminder that all Specular color should be Gray Scale , no specular colors on other than on Iron man figures lol

Okay, posting a picture instead 'cause the forum compromises the listing.

• sheedee3Dsheedee3D Posts: 214
    edited May 2015

Hi Cath...or any one else that can help me out...

Sorry for barging in like this...but i did not know where else to post this:

I am having trouble rendering character eyes in Iray...

(please view at full resolution)

This render was actually done in about five minutes...but i intentionally had to let it bake further about twenty minutes to see if the eye surface would get any better...but if you look closely...even after 20 min. there is still noise and grain on the eye surface...and the over all look is not good either...the sclera is greyish and dark.

Settings:

Dome & Scene
    Finite sphere

Env map:

Footprint Court IBL from HDR LABS

Is there a way to make eyes look good in Iray?...any special setting?...

thx for viewing.

Untitled.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 464K
    Post edited by sheedee3D on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

That's wacky.

It almost looks like you used Dispersive water... if you did, don't do that, use Thin Water.

edited December 1969

I am using just water for the cornea for quick render from far , do not use any water on the eye reflection surface use Thin glass
    if you still have problems and not using bulge morphs on the cornea use just Think glass on both , the higher amount of refraction will cause noise problems like that as there is low space between the lower surface and the reflective surface creating it much darker as it should, I hope it helps

edited May 2015

I made test with my non texture based shader with Cory ;)

1 the original as you know him
    bellow my version with universal skin for that reason I added the eyebrows
    also my eyes morph with PBR materials and quick hair in Zbrush with my Unshaven shader for beard and hair

I think he looks much cuter
    render time 4 min for each

cory_brown.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 519K
    cory_blond.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 561K
    cory_original.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 482K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

Using Macro skin in ways it wasn't intended... on a man in Iray. ;)

Macro_Man.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I made test with my non texture based shader with Cory ;)

1 the original as you know him
    bellow my version with universal skin for that reason I added the eyebrows
    also my eyes morph with PBR materials and quick hair in Zbrush with my Unshaven shader for beard and hair

I think he looks much cuter
    render time 4 min for each

A Physically correct eye (And the Genesis 2 eyes aren't perfect but aren't bad.) should have thin water on the Reflection surface (Simulating the thin layer of water that coats the eye) the tear and the Cornea. The Cornea though should have an index of refraction of around 1.37.

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Nice work Stefan and I like the last render bellow mostly , but I see still the dark edges on the skin , what does not blend it well with the backdrop , forgot about Scatter and transmit on specular and top coat ?

don't use index/IOR on pupils it will glow red passing the translucency from the head skin , I was there with it before ..
    it is the best to use double values on the Cornea, to represent also the liquid inside between cornea and iris IOR 2.66 , it will create a hell of reflection so may reduced , the eye lens is behind the iris it does not matter here

Thank you. I'm still thinking about reducing even more vibrancy, until I get a very pale and even more dead looking skin, there's still too much red/pink remaining, as you can see on her head and legs.

No, most of my surfaces, and especially all for the skin, are on Scatter & Transmit on both Glossy and Top Coat. I guess you mean the dark egdes mostly visible around the legs/feet? I wish I'd know where that comes from, maybe the still reddish skin texture, or it's the result of the thin film with a strength of 20830.0 and IOR 1.5 I added to the Top Coat to simulate the outermost oily film (sebum). The IOR is a guesswork of the SIGGRAPH skin rendering team I sto.., err, borrowed it from. :lol:
    I might better go back to my "coconut oil solution".

Thanks for the tip. I'll remake my pupils back to "holes" then. By reducing you mean the Layer Weight or the amount of Glossiness?

Thanks for the charts Stefan
    with the reminder that all Specular color should be Gray Scale , no specular colors on other than on Iron man figures lol

You're welcome. :)
    Yes, of course, the corresponding specular color value has to be applied to the Red, Green and Blue color channels alike.
    Don't mix them, folks. ;-)
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The Cornea though should have an index of refraction of around 1.37.

1.38 on most of the lists I've seen...it's really something much more complex, though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7634138

But how you would handle that with a single thickness model...well, a tri-layered shader (or dual with topcoat).

Now would the three layers be noticeable in a render? Probably not unless it was a pretty tight shot...of course that also assumes a more accurately modeled eye...which would need to include a lens and define interior volumes.

The fluid behind the cornea should be 1.33 IOR (same as water)...it's known as the aqueous humor, and is mostly water.

edited December 1969

Another variation of Macro Skin on a guy

Macro_Man2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    edited December 1969

You forgot the the liquid between the iris and Cornea (that don't exist in the model ) so just cornea 1.37 is not enough for the volumetric effect
    Genesis 2 eyes are ok , but people need to use the correct morphs on them and not as the base genesis 2 , DAZ made cornea bulge but not iris morph in the evolution morph package if I good remember , using without corneal bulge will give you wrong effect of the refraction so not that Physically correct at all , also for best effect you need caustic to be ON .

I know the physical charts but putting it in will just not working exactly with the base model .

A Physically correct eye (And the Genesis 2 eyes aren't perfect but aren't bad.) should have thin water on the Reflection surface (Simulating the thin layer of water that coats the eye) the tear and the Cornea. The Cornea though should have an index of refraction of around 1.37.

edited May 2015

More adventure with Cory, he got a mullet hair style ;)

Cory_Blink_if_you_want_me_Iray_2015.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 466K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited May 2015

...been doing a lot of experimentation (and rendering)

A WIP using the Sun/Sky with dome and Jack Tomalin's Invetero (with a few additions)

First uses just the base Belle skin shader on the girl with the Freckles overlay

Second uses the same but with the Iray G2F skin shader (applied to not overwrite the original) and skin settings MEC4D specified several pages ago.

easy_rider_Leela_M4D_skin_setting.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    easy_rider_Leela_normal_skin.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

nice one .. like the set
    the second one looks like more diffused on the skin , the Belle skin is almost ready to go as it does not have as much color over cast
    nicely done

Kyoto Kid said:

A WIP using the Sun/Sky with dome and Jack Tomalin's Invetero (with a few additions)

First uses just the base Belle skin shader on the girl with the Freckles overlay

Second uses the same but with the Iray G2F skin shader (applied to not overwrite the original) and skin settings MEC4D specified several pages ago.

edited December 1969

More using Soldiers of Magic Serpio in ways it wasn't intended!

Waterbender!

Waterbending.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 3M
    edited May 2015

MEC4D said:
    nice one .. like the set
    the second one looks like more diffused on the skin , the Belle skin is almost ready to go as it does not have as much color over cast
    nicely done

Kyoto Kid said:

...thank you.

I feel the second one is a bit more "correct" as the character is quite fair skinned.

Still need to work on the hair a bit more and figure out how to deal with the "blurriness" of the ground texture closest to the camera (It already has a bump map applied)

Need to try find an HDRI with a high enough sun angle (roughly about 55° elevation) to see if it would make a difference.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

still tweaking this,

Iray_dust-test2.jpg
    1014 x 850 - 349K
    edited December 1969

testing skin without texture maps just color based SSS

skin_lee.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 689K
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    The Cornea though should have an index of refraction of around 1.37.

1.38 on most of the lists I've seen...it's really something much more complex, though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7634138

But how you would handle that with a single thickness model...well, a tri-layered shader (or dual with topcoat).

Now would the three layers be noticeable in a render? Probably not unless it was a pretty tight shot...of course that also assumes a more accurately modeled eye...which would need to include a lens and define interior volumes.

The fluid behind the cornea should be 1.33 IOR (same as water)...it's known as the aqueous humor, and is mostly water.

1.375 is the number I saw. Most round up. In that range, in any case. :) Note that is for Genesis 2 eyes, not Dragon 3 or Genesis 1 as their eyes are constructed differently, but should be pretty good for Mil 4.

edited December 1969

1.375 is the number I saw. Most round up. In that range, in any case. :) Note that is for Genesis 2 eyes, not Dragon 3 or Genesis 1 as their eyes are constructed differently, but should be pretty good for Mil 4.

That's close to the average of the 3 layers...and reading that NIH paper (at least just the abstract of it) there is a bit of a range on them so something around 1.375 through 1.395 should work for a single layer/value.

edited December 1969

Ok here comparison , one of the eye have the settings DAZ_Spooky suggested and one PBR based that including the right specular values and with the fluid behind the cornea known as the aqueous humor

both A and B have the same bump maps and bulge morph with iris morph .. and as reference real eye reflection ..

please note that one of the eye setting does not show the iris right when looking from the side .

so what you think eye A or eye B looks more realistic ?
    I think the verdict is clear as one of the eye will not even reflect eyelashes due to low refraction level

human_eye.jpg
    676 x 579 - 326K
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited May 2015

Phew, took just over 9 hours to render with no subdivision :ohh: but I am pleased with the final result for this particular character. I played with a lot of the face morphs and changed some of the textures for details on the eyes and mouth. Although not perfect, I am content with the things I have learnt about using Iray, to achieve this level of detail so far.

:-)

Portrait_of_Josh.png
    993 x 1606 - 3M
    Post edited by Musicplayer on
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Ok here comparison , one of the eye have the settings DAZ_Spooky suggested and one PBR based that including the right specular values and with the fluid behind the cornea known as the aqueous humor

both A and B have the same bump maps and bulge morph with iris morph .. and as reference real eye reflection ..

please note that one of the eye setting does not show the iris right when looking from the side .

so what you think eye A or eye B looks more realistic ?
    I think the verdict is clear as one of the eye will not even reflect eyelashes due to low refraction level

Yep, Cath...proper geometry goes a long way to improving eye 'realism', even in 3DL.

I don't have any of the morph packages that include a Corneal Bulge, or Iris Depth or Pupil Dilation morphs...so I just knocked out a set in Blender. And it's improved things dramatically, even in a basic, G2F as she loads materials, no tweaks 3DL render.

eyes.png
    258 x 274 - 76K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Hector
    Using the small HDRI that comes in the latest Beta. No other lighting.

Hector.jpg
    1250 x 1500 - 329K
    edited December 1969

...where is that found?

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where is that found?

Render Setting|Environment|Environment Map.

Testing another approach using Shader Mixer, I think a need more layers, still a WIP...

SkinShader2.PNG
    1670 x 880 - 322K
    SkinShader.png
    810 x 1080 - 1M
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...where is that found?

It's automatically loaded into the environment map slot when you start a new scene.
    edited December 1969

...so if you have nothing in the environment map, the Iray HDRI is loaded as a default now.

edited May 2015

The little diffuse HDRI map create a nice light actually and shadows , good job John on the render

tjohn said:
    Hector
    Using the small HDRI that comes in the latest Beta. No other lighting.

Iray render thread continued here

Post edited by Chohole on
This discussion has been closed.