Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tips, I will have to experiment more...

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I know that , using 1.1.1 and a map is very valid
    but the colors on the diffuse map can't extend 0.88 0.88 0.88 what is the value of 240 for a white snow
    so if someone want to have a pure snow white color for a dress, they should use 0.88 0.88 0.88 and not 0.50, 0.50, 0.50 =186
    as the last one is a gray color and not white
    bellow is a link to a very good PBR charts

you can download the pdf file and use the color charts save the pdf file then change the extension to “.zip”, decompress and you get the tga file with great charts for your surfaces

Save link As
    https://seblagarde.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dontnodgraphicchartforblinnmicrofacet.pdf

I've always seen the 0-255 values as the 'artist'/user side of things and the 0-1 values as the scientific/technical/mathematical side...because even in 3DL/RSL shader writing, it's all decimal.My mistake for not being clear. They are linear, like expected in PBR, where the 0-255 are gamma corrected values. So 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 does not equal 128, 128, 128, but 186, 186, 186, also for real world, physically plausible values you should stay between .1 and .9 (Note that this presumes a combination of color and map. (So using 1, 1, 1 and a map is correct and valid.)

Sorry if you thought I was implying something negative about your knowledge. That was definitely not my intention.

I was responding to MJC's comment, to clarify the difference between the two scales. (Which makes a huge difference when looking to outside sources for PBR information.)

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Some other charts for reference

Albedo http://www.sc0ttgames.com/?p=464
    Specular http://www.sc0ttgames.com/?p=443

• BlantyrBlantyr Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

Blantyr said:
    Next attempt at mirrors, and yes the HDRI approach works. I did discover that silver and platinum mirror surfaces turn gold if Glossy Roughness is brought down to 0.03 or less. I also discovered that mirrors reflect HDRI strangely. Note in the direct shot, Goldilocks is square in the middle of the brick step, but in the two reflections she is right next to the stone trim. Also you can see the direct and reflected steps don’t line up with one another.

Something seems out of plumb, but I got a reflection.

Pretty darn neat.

There has to be a reason.

What colors are used in that preset? I'm not at my render PC right now

The cube mirror I used in the image is .95 .91 .84 Base, 1, 1, 1 Glossy with Glossy Reflectivity 1 and Glossy Roughness 0.04. I started out with Iray Platinum, lightened the Base quite a bit, maxed the Reflectivity, and brought the roughness down as far as I could before things started going yellow.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited April 2015

Absolute NOT .. it was good you mentioned it
    I actually checked the color profiles in my Photoshop what was not on sRGB as I used other profiles for editing photos half white 0.5 raised by the inverse of gamma 2.2 which equals 187 in Photoshop and not 186

it is very important to have good setting in PS before making any maps for PBR rendering, sRGB profile is used to avoid artifacts and for Grayscale with Gray Gamma 2.2

Sorry if you thought I was implying something negative about your knowledge. That was definitely not my intention.

I was responding to MJC's comment, to clarify the difference between the two scales. (Which makes a huge difference when looking to outside sources for PBR information.)

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Somethings wrong with the PDF link Cath! Won't open!

That's because it's not a pdf...

Caution : The full resolution version of the chart is a tga file in a .zip that I rename to “.pdf” as WordPress don’t support zip file. So just right-click on the image below, save the pdf file then change the extension to “.zip”, decompress and you get the tga file.

You need to rename it to have the zip extension and then extract it.

Thanks. Weird way to upload something but I got it.. Thanks for clarifying! lol

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    mjc1016 said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Somethings wrong with the PDF link Cath! Won't open!

That's because it's not a pdf...

Caution : The full resolution version of the chart is a tga file in a .zip that I rename to “.pdf” as WordPress don’t support zip file. So just right-click on the image below, save the pdf file then change the extension to “.zip”, decompress and you get the tga file.

You need to rename it to have the zip extension and then extract it.

Yeah...why he didn't GoogleDrive or Dropbox it, I can't understand. That's what most other WordPress users I know of that want to put up files that WP won't allow do.

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

It's because Wordpress doesn't allow the upload of Zip archives. But as long as you make your stuff an accepted filetype, you can upload anything you want.

edited December 1969

So, let's see if I'm grasping things.

Skin melanin is going to change albedo (more pigment, lower albedo)
    It's going to also affect specular color, in that different pigments will add color (a range from yellow, red, dark brown, almost black)
    Also translucency, as more pigment, more opaque.

These would entail fairly similar but not identical maps.

Is this roughly correct?

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Albedo Cheat-Sheet for Physically-Based Rendering

http://www.sc0ttgames.com/?p=464

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,444
    edited December 1969

It's going to also affect specular color, in that different pigments will add color (a range from yellow, red, dark brown, almost black)

Is this roughly correct?

I'm only going to comment on the specular here.. because I am pretty sure the answer there is no... it doesn't change the specular color. Only metals, if I recall correctly, tint their reflections which is what specular is (alright, alright, so is diffuse... but lets not get that deep into it).

I could be wrong, its happened before.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Hey there!

I wonder, is there a way how to make the light being emitted from an environment image stronger without the image being washed out?

aikoiray.png
    494 x 800 - 644K
    edited December 1969

and you are right 100% skin specular color is RGB 51 51 51 what is monochromatic
    you don't plug specular color maps
    you can control the glossiness level with a grayscale map

in my all renders I never used specular maps at all , as I control the micro surface with normal maps
    and made specular catcher map for the hair and eyebrows the same as translucent shadow catcher

Is this roughly correct?

I'm only going to comment on the specular here.. because I am pretty sure the answer there is no... it doesn't change the specular color. Only metals, if I recall correctly, tint their reflections which is what specular is (alright, alright, so is diffuse... but lets not get that deep into it).

I could be wrong, its happened before.

edited December 1969

The pigment hue should go where, then? Base color?

• tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited December 1969

The two characters that I primarily use for learning DS, with modified skin and hair textures. I've tried various settings for Glossy Roughness (with Glossy Reflectivity set to 1.0), but found that settings much lower than 0.30 made their skin too shiny, more shiny than I can recall ever having seen a pale-skinned person be IRL, other than in a sauna or when soaking wet.

Some people will probably feel that the colors in the image are too saturated, but I'm deliberately going for a look that simulates conventional 35 mm slide film such as Kodachrome and some films from Agfa, which delivered slides with very saturated colors.

By_the_sea_02.png
    1200 x 1600 - 3M
    edited December 1969

I like glossy roughness at .4 or .5, and then use top coat roughness of .2 or .3 for sweat or water.

edited December 1969

I like glossy roughness at .4 or .5, and then use top coat roughness of .2 or .3 for sweat or water.

Tks, I'll try that.

edited April 2015

Why did you choose to set your reflectivity so high?

I use much lower, 4.5-5. The descriptions says that it roughly corresponds to IOR and that .5 is a "good plastic base" so I am guessing that should be around an IOR of 1.5... a very good range for skin.

I also always use BOTH glossy base and top coat, not relegating top coat to effects. I find its necessary.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited December 1969

Why did you choose to set your reflectivity so high?

I use much lower, 4.5-5. The descriptions says that it roughly corresponds to IOR and that .5 is a "good plastic base" so I am guessing that should be around an IOR of 1.5... a very good range for skin.

I also always use BOTH glossy base and top coat, not relegating top coat to effects. I find its necessary.

I'm new to DS, having used it for less than two months (other members of my immediate family have used it for several years, though, and have lots of content that I can play with, but I've never been interested in DAZ Studio before, preferring to spend my time on other things), so I haven't gotten around to changing the settings for the top coat yet... :)

Not on skin that is, only on car paint, chrome and shiny stuff like that, which is a totally different ball game.

edited April 2015

Allow me to make a suggestion, tomtom.

You have a layered shader to accomplish what you are looking for. Build it in layers.

Strip off all the layered weights until all you have is the base, render that and see what it looks like. Then start adding in the other layers, mixing and matching.

Base is layered over transmission, which I am guessing includes both translucency and sss, Glossy is technically part of the base but is its own layer over the base, with Top Coat over the top of it all. And metallic flake in there some where but I haven't really touched it yet, though I did read someone suggesting they were using it with their skin set-up.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

I thought about Cath's useful tips which prompted me to also try something in Photoshop. The best I can say is to try it out and see if it works for you

1: Load a face texture you like (Background layer) .
    2: Duplicate the layer (Background copy).
    3: Add a mid-grey Colour Fill layer sandwiched inbetween Background and Background Copy.
    4: Change the top layer (Background Copy) blending mode to colour.
    5: Duplicate the background layer again (Background Copy2), move it to the top of the stack, change its blending mode to Overlay and set its opacity to 50%.
    5 Alternative: If you have the Flaming Pear PS free plugins, use Tachyon on another copy of the Background, place at the top of the stack, set to Overlay blending mode, reduce opacity to 50%.

Worked not too shabbily for me.

http://www.flamingpear.com/download.html

edited December 1969

I loaded Michael6 skin map in Photoshop , reduced the Vibrance to -60 the effect is excellent nothing else to do with working great with my sss shader now .

sss_skin.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 383K
    edited December 1969

Very nice, mec4d, very nice indeed.

edited April 2015

Thanks, here test with different HDRI light maps
    M6 with edited maps only diffuse and normal and my final SSS skin shader
    each render took just 2 min

Very nice, mec4d, very nice indeed.
    SSS_SKINTT8.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 335K
    SSS_SKINTT7.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 349K
    SSS_SKIN4.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 410K
    SSS_SKIN3.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 474K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
    edited December 1969

I want that jumper.

He looks fantastic.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I want that jumper.

I've heard them called sweaters, sweatshirts, and hoodies but never jumpers.. jumpers are little girls dresses, at least in Wisconsin where I learned to speak American.

edited December 1969

Thanks :) the jumber is not finished yet it is a part of full set with shirt pants and shoes for my upcoming Buddy 3
    just rigged it for my iray tests

I want that jumper.

He looks fantastic.

SSS_SKINTT9.jpg
    689 x 1000 - 291K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2015

Fisty said:
    I want that jumper.

I've heard them called sweaters, sweatshirts, and hoodies but never jumpers.. jumpers are little girls dresses, at least in Wisconsin where I learned to speak American.lol, same in the northeast.

I have to admit, the past several pages got me lost a few times, lol. I thought the sRGB scale in the computer was based similar to 'Perceived brightness'. A few other places seam to indicate as much, that 127.5 (127 or 128 RGB) is 0.5, is mid gray???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction#Power_law_for_video_display
    So if I under stand the chat, 187 values of darker gray, and 68 values of lighter gray??? (When picking colors in that sRGB window thing)

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    I want that jumper.

I've heard them called sweaters, sweatshirts, and hoodies but never jumpers.. jumpers are little girls dresses, at least in Wisconsin where I learned to speak American.

From a British/American dictionary...

jumper: n sweater. What Americans call a “jumper” (a set of overalls with a skirt instead of trousers), Brits would call a “pinafore.”

edited December 1969

jumpers, pullovers and cardigans are family when hoodies and sweater having baby it is called Jumper lol

Fisty said:
    I want that jumper.

This discussion has been closed.