Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Here is my finale version of my Sunday project CHESTER , everything modeled in zbrush

back to the 70's ? or still in the 70's style ? lol

I sculpted the character on 10 million poly for each material group so around 40 million total, extracted my normal and displacement and used on the lower subd version on G2M base . My graphic card have only 2GB so I am allowed to have max 8 million poly in DS loaded in the scene for that reason the scalp hair did not rendered sub-d as it should

I hope you like my experiment

Consider the "Experiment" a rousing success! Milestone setting work you did there good lady! If you can do this with a modest GPU setup like the one you & I have, I can only imagine what wie'll see with more power under the hood. BRAVA!

Chester is cinematic.

CHESTER_IRAY_2015.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 2M
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

I remodeled the surface and cornea at once for 180 degree then remodeled the irises , the cornea IOR 1.33 + liquid inside 1.33 together 2.66 but actually my weight setting are on 50% so consider that, I used my old setting for specular glossy channel mixer where the base color control the level of visible reflections but tin water would be good here as a choice

User812 said:
    MEC4D said:
    Well I go for the maximal , created normal and displacement maps based on my 3D sculpture in Zbrush from 10 million poly to get the micro surface right as normal maps from pictures are not good enough for that, after I remodeled the eyes to the correct form and made morph so the cornea have right bulge and the irises form a sort of inner cone shape ..as the refraction of the cornea and the liquid inside the eye make it looks like the iris is a flat plane but it is not ..... the effect is cooooooool

this is little older skin type as I go for a mature look to see things n action , you notice the fuzz on the skin ? and sss between ?
    for now just a teaser as I am working on the full picture

as usual campus light only lol

clever treatment of the eyes. did you remove the eyeReflection surface or did you bulge that out as well? I'm wondering about the shader too used, thick glass, water immersion maybe, as you mentioned liquid in the eyes?

edited December 1969

Thanks so much Alex !!! can't wait to see your project finished ;)

Alex L said:
    MEC4D said:
    Here is my finale version of my Sunday project CHESTER , everything modeled in zbrush

I sculpted the character on 10 million poly for each material group so around 40 million total, extracted my normal and displacement and used on the lower subd version on G2M base . My graphic card have only 2GB so I am allowed to have max 8 million poly in DS loaded in the scene for that reason the scalp hair did not rendered sub-d as it should

Consider the "Experiment" a rousing success! Milestone setting work you did there good lady! If you can do this with a modest GPU setup like the one you & I have, I can only imagine what wie'll see with more power under the hood. BRAVA!

Chester is cinematic.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I think she's been out in the sun just a tad too long,
    I need to tweak the translucence and SSS settings just a bit.

Iray-skins-testing.jpg
    521 x 844 - 269K
  • kqbjnp66vk@snkmail.com[email protected] Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but I may have missed a page or two here or there. I remember someone mentioning this earlier, but I don't remember seeing anyone actually trying it out.

I've parented the Daz V4 skeleton to the inside of my figure and made a few adjustments to the sizes to match it up a little better with the G4 shape. It's nowhere near perfect and I left a bit of the ribs sticking out of her back.

The shading settings and skin are my attempt to follow timmins.william's settings from a few pages back. It's still a bit reddish, but the effect of having internal bones is quite a bit heavier than what I would have expected. You can especially see it in her right hand, but if you save both files and flip back and forth, it affects pretty much every part of her.

I tried adjusting the Transmitted Measurement Distance in the SS settings from 2.00 as originally shown down to .20, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

CoralineG4-iRayBoneTest01.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 101K
    CoralineG4-iRayBoneTest00.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 101K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited April 2015

dminut. The renders look good, if the labels do make me chuckle a bit.
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy when fried and good with ketchup." :lol:

Rareth, or just a Little bit to close to the aforementioned, lol.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

Impressive. About the smoke, is it post work or volumes?

edited December 1969

I was too lazy to make the volumetric model for the smoke as it was already 7 hours straight so I add it with Rons Smoke brushes in PS as final touch , if I did animation I would go for particles anyway

can any of you render HD morphs with Iray, main seems not rendering at all

jag11 said:
    MEC4D said:

Impressive. About the smoke, is it post work or volumes?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,151
    edited December 1969

Like where you put your sig Cath . That's funny! Fabulous render. You never do ANYTHING badly honey!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,040
    edited April 2015

Rareth said:
    I think she's been out in the sun just a tad too long,
    I need to tweak the translucence and SSS settings just a bit.

That's great the way it is! The fair skin of redheads is so easily sun-burned and that looks very natural. Better get out the Noxema™. :lol:
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited April 2015

I've got some notes, and lots of questions, lol. First off, When I did the first dry-run with the hair's default mats, I forgot to swap out the ball for the Iray one. After that, I have no idea whats going on with that thing. FW Eve is using her 'Alt Mats (DazDefaultShader) in both renders.

As for the Jag11 shader :) , I changed the folders a tad, and dropped the map into a more appropriate folder.
    (map in) My Library\Runtime\textures\Jag11
    (duf in) My Library\Shader Presets\jag11\irayHair

Then I put the map in the appropriate 'Bump' setting, and let it run. The hair came out rather good, considering I'm canceling the render to try something. I'm going to reboot the beast, and try it again, to see if that clears up that mirror-ball or not.
    (EDIT)
    It was my mistake.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/810808/
    I apparently had, like four spheres in the same place. :red:

CallingIt_Done_001_Crop1.png
    1059 x 933 - 674K
    Iray_Jag11Hair_FirstApplyTest_001_r.png
    800 x 800 - 904K
    PreTest_001_Crop1.png
    1920 x 940 - 1M
  • Occams_RazorOccams_Razor Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:

Don't know why but this just shouted Wyatt Earp from Tombstone...

;)

edited December 1969

If I used just mustache I guess so.. ;)

OcamRzr said:
    MEC4D said:

Don't know why but this just shouted Wyatt Earp from Tombstone...

;)

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited April 2015

My latest skin development stage. Switched to the PBR Specular/Glossiness workflow, I find it much easier to work with on skin/non-metals if there are enough real-word data at hand.
    Didn't make use of the de-saturated (-vibanted) textures, the skin will get more pinkish the more vibrance you'll subtract, and it looses much of it's tanned look that way.
    Top Coat Glossiness could still use a notch or two, although it will get in the glossines range of steel that way.
    On Face, Head and Ears I used a slightly increased value for glossiness.

EDIT:
    Athough, either switching to Specular/Glossiness and/or adjusting the Base/Top Coat balance got me rid of the "Pink Panther"-Syndrome. Now's the skin just slightly lighter (Vibrancy adjustment of -20 for the skin texture on the right hand render).

Victoria@Pixar_#11.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 829K
    Victoria@Pixar_#10.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 828K
    Post edited by Arnold C on
    edited December 1969

OK, here is the final test render, after fixing that stupid moment, lol. Looken-good.

I noticed that the original duf in the zip, did not remove ALL the maps. I left them in there as they were Opacity maps of some kind. Was that intentional, or did It just happen to work that way?

CUDA device 0 (GeForce GT 730): 1868 iterations, 26.742s init, 7176.777s render
    CPU (7 threads): 1354 iterations, 26.565s init, 7173.663s render
    Total Rendering Time: 2 hours 9.55 seconds
    About 92% converged.

Iray_Jag11Hair_FirstApplyTest_003_Render_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 383K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,295
    edited December 1969

OK, here is the final test render, after fixing that stupid moment, lol. Looken-good.

Looking good to me
    I wouldn't call it a stupid moment just something overlooked cause as my great grandma said you can't teach or fix stupid

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,904
    edited December 1969

Bah, I think I'm done with IBL. I can't even get the Pixar Campus to show much shadow, and all my attempts to create my own have had only the slightest of effects.

grumble

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

another skin test, this time with no HDRI, just Sun-sky only. No other lights. I did use a gold reflector to bounce light back at the subject in place of a fill light (old school photography tricks for the win) .

turned out fairly well I think.

Iray-skintest-noHdri.jpg
    800 x 800 - 174K
    edited April 2015

Looking good to me
    I wouldn't call it a stupid moment just something overlooked cause as my great grandma said you can't teach or fix stupid
    Thanks. That "Stupid moment" remark was a bit of sarcasm mixed with self degrading funny.

I decided to try a side shot, to see a bit of light threw the hair. Face palm, those accent lights don't make all the light in the room, and are not all that bright. I just went with the light brightness ratios I had with 3delight, and adjusted them all in kind. I need to fix that some day.
    (EDIT 07:04utc)
    I'm calling the last test here, as I have other things I must do. The hair preset looks good, even tho the rest of the stuff is almost all DazDefault shaders. Thank you Jag11.

Iray_Jag11Hair_FirstApplyTest_004.png
    1178 x 889 - 886K
    Iray_Jag11Hair_FirstApplyTest_003b_Render_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 377K
    edited December 1969

When you plug in the environment map it set the value to 2000000 some way .. make sure it is set to 2.20
    tone mapping iso 100 the rest as it is, turn of the BURN HIGHLIGHTS PER COMPONENT , the image will be more clear with better color saturation as the original Campus map , set the highlight to bellow 0.25 and Crush Blacks to 0.10-0.15 max how higher value of crush blacks how more contrast but don't like what it do the the skin when it is to high

P.C showing a lot of shadows but if you want extreme shadows the Castle HDRI maps we posted link early in the thread create extreme shadows ...

Bah, I think I'm done with IBL. I can't even get the Pixar Campus to show much shadow, and all my attempts to create my own have had only the slightest of effects.

grumble

edited December 1969

Way to go Stefan , the PBR Specular/Glossiness is way to go , its values are mostly the way we are used to do for years so much easy ...
    skin is not metal plus the other channel base mixer offer completely different work flow with different kind of maps for the best result

some folk argue with me that black color should be not under base color as there is not black color in the PBR values for materials but so wrong, since I was talking about metals, and pure metals have black base color all of them as the surface is measured by the reflection and not diffuse , black diffuse means total reflection under PBR Specular/Glossiness . But why I am talking about metals here , well the skin luminescence and glossiness need to go in balance of the skin , I used now only 51 51 51 for the specular color, the top coat is tricky , it can kill easy the SSS if used at higher values but without it you will go nowhere , make sure that the glossiness is not set on 1 but at last 0.98 0.99 other way it is gone ..

but it is not easy to set the right top coat if you don't have the right normal maps to break it down .. roughness is good but the normal should do it in collaboration with the sss and diffuse , after I made my new normal maps I did not needed any levels of roughness or whatever diffused it totally based on the skin texture (details)

ah and for the pink panther syndrome , you can add slightly yellowish diffuse color to the map to get the tan as I did with Dorian render but you need to reduce the translucency level of the same percentage
    for example if the base color was 1 you reduced to 0.80 for darker skin you need reduce the translucent values by 20 % so in my case from 0.50 to 0.30 other way the SSS will take over ..

My latest skin development stage. Switched to the PBR Specular/Glossiness workflow, I find it much easier to work with on skin/non-metals if there are enough real-word data at hand.
    Didn't make use of the de-saturated (-vibanted) textures, the skin will get more pinkish the more vibrance you'll subtract, and it looses much of it's tanned look that way.
    Top Coat Glossiness could still use a notch or two, although it will get in the glossines range of steel that way.

EDIT:
    Athough, either switching to Specular/Glossiness and/or adjusting the Base/Top Coat balance got me rid of the "Pink Panther"-Syndrome. Now's the skin just slightly lighter (Vibrancy adjustment of -20 for the skin texture on the right hand render).

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Experiments
    Challenge was to get the G2 Base male less horrible to render
    Modified skin02 to add the hairs found in the texture directory
    Nose and ears get more SSS than the rest of the body
    Lit with HDR Building Light Probe from Paul Devebec's site http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/

base_male_02.jpg
    554 x 898 - 104K
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

Glad to see your results zarcondeegrissom. I haven't had a chance to get back on it, a little thing called work seems to find the time to make an appearance each week. I am hoping to get a grasp on the hair so I can start following along on skin. So much valuable information in these 80+ pages!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2015

I needed a creative break from testing this, that and the other thing in Iray, so I created the image below for the PC Inspiration Contest.

The image is intentionally dark to indicate menace. I used the new FW Savannah for V6 and FW Dan and applied what I've learned in this thread to the skin. She's wearing Super Dress and cross strap heels, both with a red leather shader applied (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54536/). Dan's wearing a suit from OOT I picked up on sale over at that other site. Savannah's black gun wasn't showing up very well against the dark wood so I ended up with the Galvanized Steel shader for the barrel and the Matte Rubber for the rest of the gun.

The image was rendered in Iray using Scene Mode. For lighting, I used the ceiling lights of the hotel set and several photometric lights. There are also two emissive planes at either end of the hall to produce some ambient light.

4272015-Savannah-Decadent-Hotel-Hallway.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 472K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited December 1969

Nice challenge Philippe was so hard to work with

Experiments
    Challenge was to get the G2 Base male less horrible to render
    Modified skin02 to add the hairs found in the texture directory
    Nose and ears get more SSS than the rest of the body
    Lit with HDR Building Light Probe from Paul Devebec's site http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

EDIT:

Hi Stefan, nice renders, and information.

I purchased the Victoria HD Add-On, that comes with Anna texture, and then applied your skin tone formula that you posted on 31st March in the 'Fiddling with Iray skin settings' forum.
    I used an HDRI called 'Basketball Court' kindly supplied free by http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

This is the first render I have done with this particular texture, and I'm very pleased with the results. Still a work in progress, and I will look at creating some shadows and maybe a little more gloss/shine to the skin.

Cheers. :-)

Anna_Pole_Dancing.png
    667 x 800 - 737K
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Here´s my skin setup on Stephanie.

I think she looks weird in this picture though : D

stph.png
    494 x 800 - 458K
  • AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Here's a short animation test of PBR SSS skin & surface materials rendered in Anamorphic HD. Check it out & let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj611aVWstc

Full size 4K cover art in the Gallery @ http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/66993 :-)

Iray-Animation01-M6Cover-HD.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 664K
  • DamselDamsel Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

That was incredible! What skin settings do you use?

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

Hi Stefan, nice renders, and information.

I purchased the Victoria HD Add-On, that comes with Anna texture, and then applied your skin tone formula that you posted on 31st March in the 'Fiddling with Iray skin settings' forum.
    I used an HDRI called 'Basketball Court' kindly supplied free by http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

This is the first render I have done with this particular texture, and I'm very pleased with the results. Still a work in progress, and I will look at creating some shadows and maybe a little more gloss/shine to the skin.

Cheers. :-)

Thank you, Musicplayer. Nice render. And background. I guess you gave it some work since it looks very different from the version I got. :)
    I posted a skin tone formula??? :gulp:
    I guess you mean posting #176 on Page 12?

Sorry for that one, that's, uh, slightly outdated, based on what I knew then about fiddling with shaders.
    Which wasn't very much. :down:

I got a new skin tone formula: best thing would be, IMHO, to follow MEC4D pieces of advice, for I bet her knowledge about Physically Based Shading is more than that of the sum of everyone who posted in this thread together (except Alex, of course). ;-) :)

This discussion has been closed.