Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

Comments

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Thanks, but you see I reduced and balanced the brightness of colors as I want to have the death skin look for my layer but it did not changed the light information what is another story, I tried right now to balance the light info in the M6 textures and it does not working I am getting washed off of nothing with a lot of areas where the textures was hand painted with colors .. and I know it will looks horrible after rendering .. you can't hide anything anymore lol everything is visible in the renders so buying textures that have even slightly uneven highlight will not a good choice

I study yesterday a glossiness areas on the face , there is over 10 different areas on the face that represent different level of glossiness /roughness depends of the gender , age etc.. ( not specular color as that is already always the same RGB 51 51 51 )
    human skin is so complex .. but what a good challenge !

Jimbow said:
    MEC4D said:
    the Vibrance does not desaturate it balance the darker and lighter colors to the same level

It definitely desaturates in a Halfway House kind of way. You can't have much colour info in the brights in a low dynamic range image without selectively targetting those areas and adding saturation, in which case they're no longer brights ;)

Your results are really good, by the way, and obviously work in a generalist way using non-PBR textures. I'd certainly never detract from that and well done.

edited April 2015

HDRI MAPS FREEBIES

http://hdrmaps.com/freebies

I remember using one of the promotional sky maps bundle before, it created even shadows in Uber Environment with 3Delight

good maps just got newsletter from them

they have also nice textures .. http://texturify.com/

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Trying out the Pixar HDRI. Tweaked a bunch of stuff, but the skin (at least for now) is just the optimized Iray preset. Just a test, so I didn't wait for it to finish.

kimono1a.jpg
    800 x 1294 - 816K
  • tomtom.wtomtom.w Posts: 138
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...those of us without Photoshop don't have quite the same toolset (or things are not labelled the the same between different applications). I recognise the Saturation channel but Gimp or PSP do not have anything called "Vibrance".

PSP X7, the AFAIK latest version, has, under Adjust > Hue and Saturation > Vibrancy.

I haven't tried it in DS yet, though, but it seems to do the exact same thing as Vibrance in Photoshop.

PSPX7-vibrancy.jpg
    1407 x 1026 - 130K
    edited December 1969

Yes it looks like the same function , some diffuse maps need less it depend of the color saturation as some have it really over the head
    I will make tonight a video tutor of my editing and setting of the SSS so you can adopt and see for yourself

tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...those of us without Photoshop don't have quite the same toolset (or things are not labelled the the same between different applications). I recognise the Saturation channel but Gimp or PSP do not have anything called "Vibrance".

PSP X7, the AFAIK latest version, has, under Adjust > Hue and Saturation > Vibrancy.

I haven't tried it in DS yet, though, but it seems to do the exact same thing as Vibrance in Photoshop.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,864
    edited December 1969

Amazing skin renders you have here guys : )

Here´s my latest try with Olympia, let me know what you think!

Based on the Weighted mixing option.

skinshader.png
    988 x 800 - 1M
  • GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    GarrettDR said:
    My Iray render. Hair needs work. Any ideas on how to make it better will be appreciated!

For the hair use this shader.

Uncompress on \My Library\Presets\Shaders.

HTH

Woke up and found a reply, Thank You! Unfortunately, OneDrive tells me:

"This item might not exist or is no longer available
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    jag11 said:
    GarrettDR said:
    My Iray render. Hair needs work. Any ideas on how to make it better will be appreciated!

For the hair use this shader.

Uncompress on \My Library\Presets\Shaders.

HTH

Woke up and found a reply, Thank You! Unfortunately, OneDrive tells me:

"This item might not exist or is no longer available
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information."

This seems to be working, sorry :red:.

The shader again

edited December 1969

Thank you so much!!!

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Exactly Cath. That's the same issue I ran into working with the M6 textures. Reducing/removing the extra light info to get a more true diffuse albedo skin ended up washing out the scattering & detail of the surface in DS/Iray, leaving him a bit too rubbery red instead of plump & alive. Part of the problem is that there is not enough "micro" detail in the existing bump maps or from making' 2.5D' normals from the texture maps. When I have time I'll make normals from the actual model & see where that gets us. A lot of the detail we're seeing is from the texture itself, which was the the whole point of photo-based textures with everything baked in. That's how we had to do it before in game systems & Firefly/3Delight to overcome speed memory & computational limitations. Now that we have the power to do accurate PBR, we can start building materials properly if photorealism is the end goal (and that's the main point of Iray & the other physically based engines, Lux, Octane etc...) What we're doing now with older textures is a good workaround to get as close to the holy grail of the photo-real with the least amount of reworking. We're on our way for sure :-)

MEC4D said:
    Thanks, but you see I reduced and balanced the brightness of colors as I want to have the death skin look for my layer but it did not changed the light information what is another story, I tried right now to balance the light info in the M6 textures and it does not working I am getting washed off of nothing with a lot of areas where the textures was hand painted with colors .. and I know it will looks horrible after rendering .. you can't hide anything anymore lol everything is visible in the renders so buying textures that have even slightly uneven highlight will not a good choice

I study yesterday a glossiness areas on the face , there is over 10 different areas on the face that represent different level of glossiness /roughness depends of the gender , age etc.. ( not specular color as that is already always the same RGB 51 51 51 )
    human skin is so complex .. but what a good challenge !

Jimbow said:
    MEC4D said:
    the Vibrance does not desaturate it balance the darker and lighter colors to the same level

It definitely desaturates in a Halfway House kind of way. You can't have much colour info in the brights in a low dynamic range image without selectively targetting those areas and adding saturation, in which case they're no longer brights ;)

Your results are really good, by the way, and obviously work in a generalist way using non-PBR textures. I'd certainly never detract from that and well done.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,903
    edited December 1969

Those Pixar HDRI maps are great and they are in Public Domain.
    Pity there are only a few of them - I have found only two.
    Below is an Iray render with one of Pixar HDRI map used as an environment.

Robots06pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 361K
  • Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    edited December 1969

Your Mike 6 skin shader looks awesome! I didn't even touch him yet, still trying Vic 6 to look better/more realistic.

MEC4D said:

I will make tonight a video tutor of my editing and setting of the SSS so you can adopt and see for yourself
    A big THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge with us. Although I read a ton of PBR related articles and such, I'm aware that I am still mostly hard guessing, what this and that will do. That will be a great help.

Actually it is good !! you need desaturate the map , to much color , use vibrant and play -20 to -50 other way it will get in conflict with translucent color

I desaturated (or de-vibranted?) the base diffuse maps, for the beginning with -20, and did some renders with "everyones favourite" *cough*PixarCampus*cough*.

Setting Burn Highlights to Componet to off I get a "serious sunburn" look on V6's skin, which I could turn down a bit by lowering the Transmitted Measurement Distance from 0.50 to 0.45.
    Still far away from the greatness of yours and Alex's, but some day... :)

Victoria@PixarCampus_8.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 444K
    Victoria@PixarCampus_3.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 445K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest, not doing anything special with diffuse map.

As I said earlier, so far I have not seen any real win, with standard textures, doing anything weird with diffuse maps. I might desaturate/brighten some if they end up too dark, but I don't have any tools with 'vibrance' and my attempts have pretty much been going around in circles.

She's a little sweatier than I intended, but hey, sometimes that happens.

I provided a much earlier version of the same image (First image is Genesis 1, second is Genesis 2)

Second image is V5 Bree diffuse and bump maps, translucence 187 red at .5 weight, a bit of gloss and top coat (top coat could probably stand to be lowered in intensity, but I generally like the shape and layout of highlights), and transmitted 2/187 red/.5 SSS distance, .3 intensity, -.5 direction.

Luy_Sipping_2.png
    2000 x 1236 - 4M
    Luy_Sipping1.jpg
    1748 x 1080 - 233K
  • SadCubesSadCubes Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Still tweaking things

Pure iray no post work at all.

bliss.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    I am getting myself additional 2 x GTX 980 for my upcoming B-day lol

Personally I'd sooner have the one Titan X for the extra memory; it's going to be interesting if Directx 12 allows graphics cards to share memory for rendering too.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Very nice Vorbeth. I especially like the composition of the frame.

vorbeth said:
    Still tweaking things

Pure iray no post work at all.

edited December 1969

I applied the 'Iray hair shader' and ignored images, and this is what rendered. Is this correct? When I try it with images, I get a message that it cant find 'CabelloNM.png'

What am I missing?

irayhair.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1005K
    edited April 2015

GarrettDR said:
    I applied the 'Iray hair shader' and ignored images, and this is what rendered. Is this correct? When I try it with images, I get a message that it cant find 'CabelloNM.png'

What am I missing?

Once again, sorry. The older I get the more stupid I become.:ohh:

The missing file is now included, it's big. Forgot it was needed.

Hair Shade (Fixed)

Post edited by jag11 on
    edited December 1969

LOL! Dont worry about it! I appreciate it, really! I thought it was me!

edited December 1969

my Iray Image with fixed hair.

irayfixed.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 797K
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    my Iray Image with fixed hair.

Maybe it needs the cutout Opacity.

Steps:

1. Load hair.
    2. Set a texture color (Here's where the Cutout Opacity gets set).
    3. Convert to Iray.
    4. Apply shader.

edited December 1969

I loaded my scene fresh.
    1. Deleted the hair.
    2. reloaded the hair (Pure Hair:Sweet)
    3. set the texture (01 Hair Ebony)

To convert to Iray, I select the hair surfaces and click on Iray Uber Base

Do I replace 'images' or do i 'Ignore'?

edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    I loaded my scene fresh.
    1. Deleted the hair.
    2. reloaded the hair (Pure Hair:Sweet)
    3. set the texture (01 Hair Ebony)

To convert to Iray, I select the hair surfaces and click on Iray Uber Base

Do I replace 'images' or do i 'Ignore'?

Replace

edited April 2015

When I apply your Hair Shader, I use 'replace'? I apologize, for my ignorance...

Post edited by GarrettDR on
    edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    When I apply your Hair Shader, I use 'replace'? I apologize, for my ignorance...

Don't worry.

But that's weird 'cause I replicate the steps and I don't get asked that.

The smartest thing to do is experiment both options and share conclusions.

HTH

edited December 1969

Well, I always hold 'ctrl' when I click on a shader. I always thought if your just applying the settings, you will 'ignore' images. And if you are applying any 'images' that come with the shader, you select, 'replace'.

I turned the headlamp on, on my camera so I have some added lights

iray_test4.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Going through the steps without holding 'cntl':
    1. Load Hair
    2. Apply texture
    3. Apply Iray Uber Base
    4. Apply Hair Shader

iray_test4d.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
    iray_test4c.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
    iray_test4b.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
    iray_test4a.jpg
    1187 x 1920 - 1M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...ach, only have PSP X4 Was unemployed when X5/X6 came out so I couldn't get the upgrade price for X7. Also they no longer offer a physical version, just electronic download. Like having that backup install disk.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621
    edited December 1969

MEC4D said:
    Yes it looks like the same function , some diffuse maps need less it depend of the color saturation as some have it really over the head

tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...I wish it would be in PDF format. I have very poor retention with videos.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    tomtom.w said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...ach, only have PSP X4 Was unemployed when X5/X6 came out so I couldn't get the upgrade price for X7. Also they no longer offer a physical version, just electronic download. Like having that backup install disk.

PSP X7

As in Paint Shop Pro v.7?

This discussion has been closed.