Show Us Your Iray Renders

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    HUH! I'd been rendering at higher resolutions and cutting down for a while, mostly because it allows postwork at the high resolution which makes editing fiddly details easier, before downsampling. I hadn't even thought of applying it to Iray, as I was afraid it would increase render time, but of course it doesn't if I'm going for the lower eventual resolution, and terminate it early.

Funny thing about film ISO; it's one of the things I fought with for years with cameras. I hated how much grain ISO 1600 film had, but it was the only way to take photos of my gaming group, because the rooms we were in were always dark. Now, of course, that same knowledge applies to these images... If it's dark, bump up your film type.

Does Iray remember the tone settings in the EXIF-or-equivalent of the resultant image?

-- Morgan

There is one nice thing about digital ISO1600 film...no grain ;-)

One of my professional photographer friends explained that problem was due to the particle size used when making the film and without going through elaborate processes 800 was the best you could usually make, using the tech at the time. There were some special order (read very expensive) 1600 films available with less grain. 1600 was never really a 'mainstream' film, anyway. Experiment time I guess, lol. What ISO do I actually need in my test chamber, to get the same light out of the Uber panels and DzSpotLights, as I do with 3Delight, lol. With the current Beta.

Tone settings, that's a good one, may possibly explain the offset from the color cube, and the cloths and figures. Tho, the floor reflectivity and other settings appear to need that extra brightness. Needs much more testing.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    HUH! I'd been rendering at higher resolutions and cutting down for a while, mostly because it allows postwork at the high resolution which makes editing fiddly details easier, before downsampling. I hadn't even thought of applying it to Iray, as I was afraid it would increase render time, but of course it doesn't if I'm going for the lower eventual resolution, and terminate it early.

Funny thing about film ISO; it's one of the things I fought with for years with cameras. I hated how much grain ISO 1600 film had, but it was the only way to take photos of my gaming group, because the rooms we were in were always dark. Now, of course, that same knowledge applies to these images... If it's dark, bump up your film type.

Does Iray embed the tone settings in the EXIF-or-equivalent of the resultant image?

-- Morgan

There is one nice thing about digital ISO1600 film...no grain ;-)

One of my professional photographer friends explained that problem was due to the particle size used when making the film and without going through elaborate processes 800 was the best you could usually make, using the tech at the time. There were some special order (read very expensive) 1600 films available with less grain. 1600 was never really a 'mainstream' film, anyway.

The impression I got from the pro shop that did my film processing was that the 'best' grain/speed compromise was to use ISO 400 slide film, treat it as 1600 as far as the camera settings were concerned at picture-taking time, and then pay the up charge to have the result 'pushed' to 1600 during processing. Then get prints made from the slides if you wanted prints.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

I was pleased that at least some of the gummy/plastic shader pack I got seem to work fine in Iray.

Metal/woods pack less so, but I have a lot of helpful maps that can possibly mix well with presets.

They did work to try and make as much as possible with the SSS Shader convert over. :) Glad to hear you are having some success with that.

Kat

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited March 2015

Eva1 said:
    Also I was trying to add a colour tint to the glass without success.

Try applying the Glass - Solid - Light Green shader. it is set up to tint the glass green. Use that as a starting point and you can change the color and sss distance settings as needed for your lighting and needs. :) There is also a frosted version.

Kat

Post edited by Katherine on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Eva1 said:
    Also I was trying to add a colour tint to the glass without success.

Try applying the Glass - Solid - Light Green shader. it is set up to tint the glass green. Use that as a starting point and you can change the color and sss distance settings as needed for your lighting and needs. :) There is also a frosted version.

Kat

Refraction basically turns the diffuse off. You have to add color using either the glossy (which tends to make it more opaque) or the transmitted color from translucency or SSS.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Another render - Feeling blue

Took almost 2 hours.

Light sources: sun and sky.

Also, I think it would be great if we could pick the color of the light from the sun. I know there´s the rd/blue slider but I was thinking about any color really pink/green which might be suitable for scifi scenes or something like that.

Well maybe in the future!

feelingblue.png
    457 x 781 - 562K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

I was pleased that at least some of the gummy/plastic shader pack I got seem to work fine in Iray.

Metal/woods pack less so, but I have a lot of helpful maps that can possibly mix well with presets.

They did work to try and make as much as possible with the SSS Shader convert over. :) Glad to hear you are having some success with that.

Kat

I will note that I say 'at least some' purely because I only tried two shaders so far, so I can't unequivocally say 'it works!'

But yeah, SSS seems to work fine.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Played with three area lights last night with the help of this post:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/53695/P210/#781100

Real time light adjustment would, of course, be wonderful.
    I'm afraid my current system can't handle the aux window.
    But the initial render is quick enough, I can switch out and adjust relatively quickly. :)

hitomiray.png
    800 x 1080 - 1M
    edited March 2015

Kat

I will note that I say 'at least some' purely because I only tried two shaders so far, so I can't unequivocally say 'it works!'

But yeah, SSS seems to work fine.
    Dare I say, in my tests thus far, LY Lennox was done up in an Aelflead's shaders outfit, and FWSA Jaina (FWSA Siblings) & FW Ja-Long is sporting the "DG Shader Essentials 3". Next to FW Ja-Long, is FW Pebble with a blue-red-purple mix of my patrons (Daz default shader). far right LY Gwenifer, also in an Aelflead's shaders outfit.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780081/
    (EDIT)
    The Only Iray shaders, is the mirror ball, and the large soft-box panel-lights. Everything else is ALL stock.
    (EDIT2)
    I have neglected to say, I am seeing allot of incredible renders by many. sorry for not saying it sooner.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Interesting iray tip from büro bewegt:

Quicktip: rendering even faster in iray
    http://buerobewegt.com/quicktip-rendering-even-faster-in-iray/

From 20 minutes to 3 minutes for the same apparent quality in one case.

One option we found is you can render at twice the intended size, for less time, and reducing using resampling, like in Photoshop or even IRFanview, the image to the intended size will eliminate most of the noise.

LOL. Never mind, same technique. LOL.

For those with limited VRAM, I assume increasing render size also increases memory use. ie, same card (1gig) is used both for rendering and display?

edited March 2015

Just adding the symptoms up. The Dz Spot lights at 200% (MAX) intensity dose nothing. The Photometric lights need to be cranked to 'Reaction' level intensities (500,000 lumens) to get any kind of reasonable lighting, and the same with the 4.6/4.7 omni uber lights (well over 6,000 percent intensity).
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/779044/
    Turn off the Film effect entirely (Tone Mapping), and things lighten up allot, the Gama just goes off.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780091/

Is the math for the "Film ISO" off by a few zeros? DAZ_KatBriggs, DAZ_Spooky, is that something still being worked threw on this beta?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited March 2015

Sorry, but I just can't resist "testing" a render engine with the Stanford Dragon (approx. 800,000 polys). I let Iray render for almost 2 hours to 73% convergence. There is still a tiny bit of noise in the dragon, but not bad. I'll have to adjust the settings to render longer than 2 hours and see what it looks like at about 90% convergence. The shader is a very modified version of the included Iray Jade shader. The lighting is and HDRI and one mesh light.

Stanford_Dragon_Cap.JPG
    1000 x 797 - 113K
    Post edited by DustRider on
    edited March 2015

Finally got this done.

Changed it a dozen times. Originally I had a more pulled-out shot, but wanted to see if I could get more of the character in the image. I'm not getting the same cool skin effects as others have, but I'm just using the stock optimized skin thing -- I look forward to having good skin textures to work with down the road. ;)

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results, even if I didn't end up having the cool boots in the shot (I think half of CGI is working on stuff that doesn't make it into the final shot)

The helmet uses a bunch of cranberry car paint (hah), with the flake size reduced to .015. Gun has the same, with Iron shader for a lot of the barrels. Shirt is the Surf's Up shirt with red silk fabric.

This is also my first attempt using pretty high light levels, rather than the gloomy shots I normally do. ;)

Hunting_Robots.png
    1440 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited December 1969

Nothing fancy, or remarkable here - just me impressed with how EASY it was to render these two scenes that I had trouble with in DAZ/3Delight and also Poser/Firefly. Each of these took about 20 minutes on a 64Bit Windows 7 Alienware desktop with GTX680. No shader changes, no light changes. I totally post worked the sky in the Japanese Temple image, and I also adjusted light levels in both images in Photoshop - that's just how it will be until I get to grips with Iray. :)

I'm really, really liking Iray!

Japanese_Temple_iRay_001a.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 678K
    Monastery_001a.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 540K
  • MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Today I feel like I am giving up on this, to be honest. I so badly would like to show something as well but 2 and a half hours and only 24 % rendered with 165 iterations... I had one enviroment map, a point light and a mesh light and just one character, I wanted to do a closeup of his skin as I am so proud with how the skin shaders came out... but man, this is so damn slow if you do not have NVidia cards. I feel like my computer turned from a nice machine to a toaster over night. :-( I am so afraid that in the future DAZ will concentrate more and more on IRAY only and those who simply have no NVidia cards (I seriously cannot afford getting new cards at the moment / this year) will be forgotten at some point.... but oh well, so be it then. But seriously, those render times on CPU are just crazy, especially if you just have one computer, such as me and cannot do other things on other machines then.

My settings are not high, by the way, I have no idea why it is sooooo slow on my end here. Too slow for me. I love what all of you people can produce, I really love it but for me, 3Delight it will be. Unless they can at least optimize the speed for CPU just a little bit.

Keep rendering though! There is some really great work here!

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

For those with limited VRAM, I assume increasing render size also increases memory use. ie, same card (1gig) is used both for rendering and display?

Larger render size will use up more VRAM, so if you are near the limit upping the resolution it could be enough to cause an issue.

Render resolution is a smaller use of VRAM compared to assets, but it certainly does go up in a measurable and potentially impactful way.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:
    Today I feel like I am giving up on this, to be honest. I so badly would like to show something as well but 2 and a half hours and only 24 % rendered

Fairly typical with Luxrender renders, which is an unbiased renderer also. i usually let them run overnight. I haven't tried Iray yet as i don't use DIM, but look forward to seeing how it goes once the standalone is available.

edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:
    Today I feel like I am giving up on this, to be honest. I so badly would like to show something as well but 2 and a half hours and only 24 % rendered

Fairly typical with Luxrender renders, which is an unbiased renderer also. i usually let them run overnight. I haven't tried Iray yet as i don't use DIM, but look forward to seeing how it goes once the standalone is available.

I have had one running over night as well and woke up to 343 iterations, grain and fireflies. Maybe after a week I would have a nice result, hahaha... ;-) We will see what the initial release will bring I guess. As for speed, I do not have much hope though. But then, I maybe win the lottery and then I can also post lovely renders with the comment "only took me 20 minutes"... ;) Yes, I am jealous. Also amazed though. And curious. :)

edited December 1969

For what it's worth, everything I'm doing takes at least a few hours to be decent.

edited December 1969

For what it's worth, everything I'm doing takes at least a few hours to be decent.

Oh yes, same for me. I have no problem with having renders run over night, but after let´s say 12 hours render time I would like to see some nice result, or at least a little bit nice. :-)

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:
    Mavrosh said:

I have had one running over night as well and woke up to 343 iterations, grain and fireflies. Maybe after a week I would have a nice result, hahaha... ;-) We will see what the initial release will bring I guess. As for speed, I do not have much hope though. But then, I maybe win the lottery and then I can also post lovely renders with the comment "only took me 20 minutes"... ;) Yes, I am jealous. Also amazed though. And curious. :)

Sometimes the render progress will seems tuck in one place but under the hood it is still going and will likely finish before you expect it to.

$100 or so could get you a video card fast enough to make a significant difference with Iray. I'd stay tuned over then ext few weeks to see how far this partnership with Nvidia has gone. They may even offer special deals to Daz3d customers. Here's hoping.

edited March 2015

$100 or so could get you a video card fast enough to make a significant difference with Iray. I'd stay tuned over then ext few weeks to see how far this partnership with Nvidia has gone. They may even offer special deals to Daz3d customers. Here's hoping.

Besides I do not have 100$, there is always hope!
    Also - I can wait. Maybe now is just not the right timing for me. :-)

Post edited by Mavrosh on
    edited March 2015

Mavrosh said:
    Mavrosh said:

I have had one running over night as well and woke up to 343 iterations, grain and fireflies. Maybe after a week I would have a nice result, hahaha... ;-) We will see what the initial release will bring I guess. As for speed, I do not have much hope though. But then, I maybe win the lottery and then I can also post lovely renders with the comment "only took me 20 minutes"... ;) Yes, I am jealous. Also amazed though. And curious. :) don't fret to much, my 8600GT just refuses to pick up any work, even with it checked off in that tab.

Not to say, the light levels and Film ISO are just to wildly off for me to be doing any serous work, other then poking around.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/781619/
    I may have just missed them, "O" well.

I just checked to see if there was any daily/weekly Beta revisions (none), and am about to go look at the lights in 4.8 with 3delight.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

Trying a person this time.

Honest_Abe.png
    1250 x 965 - 2M
  • FinnGrimsonFinnGrimson Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

Blue Peterbilt.

peterbilt_side1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Blue Peterbilt.

Oooo! Shiny! Nice job. :)
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Blue Peterbilt.

Very nice

• Kode of BlissKode of Bliss Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

My first attempt at Iray

Sarge_In_Bed_Iray2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Mavrosh said:
    Today I feel like I am giving up on this, to be honest. I so badly would like to show something as well but 2 and a half hours and only 24 % rendered with 165 iterations... I had one enviroment map, a point light and a mesh light and just one character, I wanted to do a closeup of his skin as I am so proud with how the skin shaders came out... but man, this is so damn slow if you do not have NVidia cards. I feel like my computer turned from a nice machine to a toaster over night. :-( I am so afraid that in the future DAZ will concentrate more and more on IRAY only and those who simply have no NVidia cards (I seriously cannot afford getting new cards at the moment / this year) will be forgotten at some point.... but oh well, so be it then. But seriously, those render times on CPU are just crazy, especially if you just have one computer, such as me and cannot do other things on other machines then.

My settings are not high, by the way, I have no idea why it is sooooo slow on my end here. Too slow for me. I love what all of you people can produce, I really love it but for me, 3Delight it will be. Unless they can at least optimize the speed for CPU just a little bit.

Keep rendering though! There is some really great work here!

I'll be posting a series of images later today or tomorrow but as discouraged as you are, I just had to say something now. My computer does not have a video card, just integrated graphics.

After finally getting my "ambient light" set up the way I wanted it, I added a spotlight and it took an hour and a half to reach 15% convergence. I added a second spotlight high up and behind the subject, pointing it more behind than on the subject. The effect was very subtle in the final render, but it cut the rendering time to under 30 minutes.

I'm working in "Scene Only" environment mode and I'm not using any kind of background. My character is rendering beautifully with a transparent background and I'm sure that speeds up the render, too. (The few times I tried using LuxRender, I could never get a transparent background. Woo hoo, Iray!)

I've set my Rendering Converged Ratio to 15% and the finished renders look fine. I imagine how much convergence you need will vary according to the scene, but as I do not have a lot of dark shadows, 15% is fine for this image.

I had a lot of trouble getting Iray to finish a render when I first started playing around with the Beta. I couldn't cancel the renders and they caused the Beta to hang. The only way to close the render was to use Windows to close down the program completely. I suspect it was a memory issue, although at the time I hadn't converted anything to Iray shaders. Maybe that impacted the memory needed.

Try adding another spot light or two and see if you can render your scene. And if you want to leave it overnight, be sure to set Max Time high enough to keep going. That's 3600 x [# of hours]. The default is 7200 or 2 hours.

Please don't give up. :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

OK, here's my very first Iray attempt. I will not go into my many, many hours of frustration and false starts, since I think I am kind of getting a handle on it now.

This one is way underlit and I didn't let it finish but I wanted to post a "before." I made a bunch of material, light and toning adjustments after this render and I'll play tomorrow to see if I did it right; it's 1:30AM here now and I downloaded the BETA around 5:00PM, so I think that's enough for one day. :)

The image on the left is the raw Iray render, stopped at 90% (1h 24m in) because I came back to my computer and saw all the things I needed to fix. On the right is the same image with a little quick adjustment in Photoshop.

Mark

Iray_Test_01.jpg
    2000 x 789 - 177K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
This discussion has been closed.