DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,481
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Greybro said:
    One thing to note, the progress bar doesn't go linearly - the percentage is the percentage of 95 (or whatever) percent converged, but as far as I can tell it gets faster on converging after a while so it may look as if it is going to take longer than it will if you follow the numbers in the early stages (I have Provence rendering now, it took ages to get over 1% converged and then fairly quickly romped up to 15% converged - though I'm still probably going to have to stop it since it's after midnight here).

I'm not seeing a progress bar at all, just the popup with Render (1/1) thought the image looks to be mostly rendered. Where do I look for this progress or percentage indicator?

Regards,
    Brent

The default location for the progress bar window is dead center of your screen, so chances are it's hiding behind the render window.

I am able to move all windows and even minimize. I wonder if I've somehow turned off the progress bar. I have dual monitors so I guess it could be off screen somewhere.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited March 2015

PhilW said:
    The new renderer seems amaizing. One big problem though: You should be able to stop and save any time. At avery early stage the pictures allready look quite accepteble. It doesn't allways seem nessesary to go over the whole render time.

Once you cancel a render, it leaves the render window open so that you can save the image.You have to cancel it from the Render progress window, not from the window that shows the image, but yes this works.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

Greybro said:
    One thing to note, the progress bar doesn't go linearly - the percentage is the percentage of 95 (or whatever) percent converged, but as far as I can tell it gets faster on converging after a while so it may look as if it is going to take longer than it will if you follow the numbers in the early stages (I have Provence rendering now, it took ages to get over 1% converged and then fairly quickly romped up to 15% converged - though I'm still probably going to have to stop it since it's after midnight here).

I'm not seeing a progress bar at all, just the popup with Render (1/1) thought the image looks to be mostly rendered. Where do I look for this progress or percentage indicator?

Regards,
    Brent

The progress bar will be behind the render window - I drag mine off to one side so I can see both (you can do that while a file is loading, since it the same dialogue box, or switch to the application and drag the progress bar while rendering, then switch back to the render window). I also click the History button on the progress bar, so I can see any messages.

edited December 1969

katfeete said:
    Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, I can't seem to search this thread for keywords for some reason....

I'm running a Mac (technically a Hackintosh) with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 graphics card, but I'm not getting an option to render on this card -- the Advanced tab only shows CPU, and when that's unchecked I get a black render. Is it just too old, is this a known bug, or am I just missing something?

Could be because it is a hackintosh and the hardware isn't fully integrated, or if you are running Yosimite that you need to download the Cuda drivers from NVIDIA's site.
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2015

Greybro said:

Regards,
    Brent

The progress bar will be underneath the render. Move the render window to one side and you'll see it. With 4.8, every render opens slap-bang in the middle of the screen - the place where you don't want it - and the window has to be resized every time to see the lower part of a vertical render.

I'm beginning to remember why I never liked DS4.

Spooky

Every time I open a create dialog, I have to click on Show Options. It never stays open. Is this a reported bug?

mac

PS I don't think I still have access to the tracker, so I won't be reporting it.

Post edited by maclean on
    edited December 1969

ccbn213 said:
    Well I've been testing this just a bit since the upgrade. I understand the photo settings from my photography days. My biggest problem seems to be with the texturing and shaders. Grass shader won't do much of anything for me. The iray shaders are wonderful but there are none for things like grass, stone, ground or wood. I'll keep pounding away at it though cause I do love it.

The grass shader is a 3Delight procedural shader, so I'm afraid it won't work in Iray. We do have access to iray functions in Shader Mixer, so it may well be possible to make an Iray grass shader - but note the discussions on displacement, which is what was used to make the grass blades.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

I've made fun grass using LAMH, but it's going to take some work getting that to work in Iray (convert to Object).

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Greybro said:

Regards,
    Brent

The progress bar will be underneath the render. Move the render window to one side and you'll see it. With 4.8, every render opens slap-bang in the middle of the screen - the place where you don't want it - and the window has to be resized every time to see the lower part of a vertical render.

I'm beginning to remember why I never liked DS4.

Spooky

Every time I open a create dialog, I have to click on Show Options. It never stays open. Is this a reported bug?

mac

PS I don't think I still have access to the tracker, so I won't be reporting it.The bug tracker is simply opening a help ticket, these days. That lets Customer Support handle customer support issues and my team handle the bugs, without hte extra work of moving tickets around when they were two separate places. Please do report it.

edited December 1969

maclean said:
    PS I don't think I still have access to the tracker, so I won't be reporting it.

There isn't a bug-tracker as such, open a technical Support ticket and mark it DS Public Beta or something like that.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

First Iray has been in 3DS Max for several years, it isn't new. NVIDIA bought Mental Ray, which is arguably, the first Unbiased Render engine, and Iray is the work they have done since buying Mental Ray to bring it to GPU. So NVIDIA has been in the 3D modeling and rendering marketplace for quite some time.

Information on Iray http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-iray.html http://www.nvidia-arc.com/Iray

Second, as has been stated numerous times, you do not need an NVIDIA card to use Iray. No matter how many times you make the claim that Iray only works on NVIDIA cards, that is not going to make that assertion true.

The only difference between having an NVIDIA card that can hold your scene and having a non-NVIDIA card, or an NVIDIA card that won't hold your scene is speed, the end result is exactly the same, given the same number of iterations or the same convergence value. .

Third computer hardware advances, you can't expect your hardware not to become obsolete, eventually, it just won't have enough power anymore. I certainly do not expect to still use my Atari 800, my Amiga 1000, or even my Intel 486 machine running WIndows 3.1.1.

I'm very well aware of CPU rendering if you don't have an NVidia card, that point doesn't need making again. As I don't use anything that Iray has previously been associated with, I don't keep up with anything that I have no interest in, hence why Iray is new to me. With all previous builds of DS development has always continued with 3Delight and it's only this build where Iray has appeared and I am not the only one intrigued as to why.

Also, I am well aware of how technology advances and it's inevitability.

NVIDIA doesn't make cards, they just license the chips. Conspiracy theories aside, we are more interested in our customers getting the best results they can out of DAZ Studio and our content. Most people here are not hardware junkies, so will mostly be guessing as to what card they want. We rather make sure what our customers spend their money on will generate the best experience with DAZ 3D software and DAZ 3D Content.

I'm glad to hear that, but, having spent several years working with 3Delight and making that be the way that customers get the best out of Daz products, there's now Iray and it seems that vendors now have to learn it along with users and create content for this as well. Choice is one thing, but, were the users and vendors given a choice whether to adopt Iray for this build of Daz Studio!?

edited December 1969

There is no 32 bit version of Iray.

Ok, so, where does that leave anyone with 32 bit OS and 32 bit DS!? I'm sure they're still out there.

edited December 1969

Have had Bryce since it first came out hate the interface keep hoping they'll change it
    I actually bought Vue back around version 3 or 4 because it could load the Bryce files
    Have also had Carrara since it first came and really should use it more
    Have had Poser and Studio since they both first came out was never happy about how hard it was to get
    realistic renders I use Lux but has been noted at the moment it's really slow so I have hopes for Iray provided Studio will function
    Have had problems with it after the 4.0 version came out but it seems to be getting better again

I bought Vue so I could create environments into which I could place Poser characters. I dropped Poser and lost interest in Vue. Bryce seemed to be the closest to Vue that bridged with DS, but, I wanted a 64bit version so that was a good bridge, but one never came.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Greybro said:

Regards,
    Brent

The progress bar will be behind the render window - I drag mine off to one side so I can see both (you can do that while a file is loading, since it the same dialogue box, or switch to the application and drag the progress bar while rendering, then switch back to the render window). I also click the History button on the progress bar, so I can see any messages.

New render and it's showing as expected. Thanks.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Spooky,

Thanks!

• MarcosDKMarcosDK Posts: 120
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    dkmarcos said:
    My second try. This haven't postproduction. Very fast :D

Now that's an advert for Iray! Well done!

CHEERS!

Thank you :)

edited March 2015

dkmarcos said:
    Rogerbee said:
    dkmarcos said:

CHEERS!

That was so many pages back, what was the render!?

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

dkmarcos said:

This looks really good! :)

Kat

Thank you! :)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    dkmarcos said:
    Rogerbee said:
    dkmarcos said:

CHEERS!

That was so many pages back, what was the render!?

CHEERS!

This thread is running very fast! ^_^

edited December 1969

I've been very happy/relieved to see how well shaders convert to Iray. It hasn't taken any significant tweaking to get cool-looking results.

This is in marked contrast to OTHER times I've tried to use an unbiased renderer in DAZ. ;)

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Ok, so, where does that leave anyone with 32 bit OS and 32 bit DS!? I'm sure they're still out there.

With a new version of 3Delight.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Right, so they get a version without Iray. Why not offer 64bit users that choice as well!? Everyone will still get to make the best use of the content.

edited December 1969

You know, personally this comes at a really great time for me. I got a 3 month serial from Octane for a sponsored banner exchange project and was just about to drop that $ to buy a personal copy. On my system, Octane was a bit faster, but this IRay quality is still much faster than Reality results are comparable. Just really stoked that this version is upon us. Awesome!

I must be one of the lucky ones, Since I already have an Nvidia 770 card everything has just worked as expected right out of the chute. All my content libraries, even though in non standard drives, all appeared to have tracked over and worked by default. I've had troubles with that in the past so I'm going to say that this beta was one of my least troublesome installs of DS ever.

Thanks so much to DAZ for really pushing the envelope on Studio and ever striving to make it a better product. RESPECT!

SciFiWarrior3DDelight.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    SciFiWarrior.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:

Right, so they get a version without Iray. Why not offer 64bit users that choice as well!? Everyone will still get to make the best use of the content.

Go to the Advanced tab of render settings (edit: or the option at the top of the Editor tab) and set the Engine to 3Delight. That will then stick, so you won't be using Iray.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Rogerbee said:

Right, so they get a version without Iray. Why not offer 64bit users that choice as well!? Everyone will still get to make the best use of the content.Try it. If you don't like it don't use it.

edited March 2015

Go to the Advanced tab of render settings and set the Engine to 3Delight. That will then stick, so you won't be using Iray.

Try it. If you don't like it don't use it.

Ok guys, yeah, that's fine then, I'll do that when the full release hits.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

tparo posted a neat note over at Hivewire about that very thing:

"If you apply the mat to G2 then select 1 surface save as a shader preset then you can use it on any surface. "

I started a thread about this amazing new iRay over there and it's quite active.

Khory said:
    Anyone have any idea how viable Genesis will remain in Iray?

Should be completely viable. Someone will need to set up a shader to apply to add all the iray settings but that really shouldn't be a big deal.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

This on the progress bar issues...

Perhaps the coders could make sure that progress bar remains "on top" so as to make it easier to see. That, are sell us some x ray vision glasses! lmao

edited March 2015

Having trouble with converting a robot to Iray shaders... doing 'convert to brushed aluminum' with conserving images. Most of it works, but when I convert ALL the surfaces, the app crashes whenever I try to render.

Trying to narrow down what surface might be causing the problem. Any known issues that might be involved?

Edit:
    ARGH. This is driving me crazy. One surface will convert fine, no problem. Then another surface... CONSTANT CRASHING.

And while their maps are different... why? whyyy>?
    The log doesn't say anything I can figure out.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

I wonder if one could script (or plug in) a multi-pass, multi-engine render, so that one could assign materials/figures (A-N) to render in 3Delight with all else masked to Alpha, then render the scene again in Iray with masks inverted and compose the two renders automatically.... But of course that requires an answer to the intersection points: what happens to the Iray reflections or refractions of 3Delight surfaces, or vice versa? Or the lights that only one engine or the other recognizes?

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2015

RAMWolff said:
    This on the progress bar issues...

Perhaps the coders could make sure that progress bar remains "on top" so as to make it easier to see. That, are sell us some x ray vision glasses! lmao

If you move the progress bar to one side, it will stay there. I moved mine to the far right of the screen. It means that when loading figs/props it will be off-center, but that doesn't bother me.

However, I agree that the damned thing should be on top.

mac

Post edited by maclean on