DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

JartStar said:
    Is there a setting to limit the number of cores Iray/Studio uses in your CPU?

no but you can limit the cpu in the Task Manager (if you have windows) Details...
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

JartStar said:
    Is there a setting to limit the number of cores Iray/Studio uses in your CPU?

Not within DS, but if you are using Windows start Task Manager and find DS in the Processes list, right-click and either select Set Affinity and check the cores you wish to relieve or Set priority and pick a lower setting - it depends on whether you want to reduce stress on the machine, which would be Set Affinity, or make sure the machine is responsive when you need it, which would be Set Priority).

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Richard

Since you only have 1 gig on your card, what happens when your scene doesn't fit, you have both cpu and gpu checked, and you hit render? Does it decide to drop the gpu or does it crash?

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Richard.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Richard

Since you only have 1 gig on your card, what happens when your scene doesn't fit, you have both cpu and gpu checked, and you hit render? Does it decide to drop the gpu or does it crash?

It seems to just drop the GPU and continue with CPU - sometimes, according to the log, it may actually manage a few passes in the GPU before falling back to the CPU only.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

has anyone tried long renders with overclocked GPU's?
    Manually overclocked? Please don't do it. This pushes your system harder than most things.

Factory Overclocked should not be an issue, that is the speed they are designed to operate.

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited March 2015

RAMWolff said:
    This on the progress bar issues...

Perhaps the coders could make sure that progress bar remains "on top" so as to make it easier to see. That, are sell us some x ray vision glasses! lmao

Sounds good to me. I think what causes the problem is that, usually, the status bar and info dialogue opens first, while calculations are still being made in the background. Eventually (usually very fast, but, for instance, shadow mapping with 3Delight takes some time) when there's data to render, then the render window opens up.

It might be worthwhile to have the coders force the render window to open first, then start the calculations and the status dialogue. Some programs also have the two parts integrated. As an alternate, LightWave (at least through v. 8.5) has an optional mini pane in the status window that shows only a portion of a large render (or no preview at all). The final render does not appear onscreen until the whole job for that frame is done, including post-processing.

Added: This may work more reliably than using "always in front" features. I've had those get glitchy with some programs, including floating in front of unrelated programs when focus goes away from the parent window.
    _ _ _

O...another thing I love in LW: The time the render took to process is included in the status window, which, (optionally,) does not close when the render is finished. Other stats, like passes and camera settings are also shown for reference. :) I think I've tossed this suggestion at DAZ before. I don't think it would take much coding at all to have a window -not- close unless the user wants it to.

Post edited by VoltisArt on
  • R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited March 2015

namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:

You're missing one minor but key step. Plug the skydome image (jpg or whatever) into the environment map.

I did not recognice that this was missing (normaly it is set automatic, as far as I know).
    But in the first try, setting the map, doesn`t chance anything. Just after deleting the Emitter Shader the Sky is shown in the rendered Image but now it is really dark and not clear

I'm re-rendering now, just to make sure I'm not blowing smoke - I'll post the result and settings in about 20 minutes, when it finishes.

The illumination on this scene is from the skydome, with just a slight bit from the lamps around the deck.

The two sets of settings show what I have the skydome set to, and what I've changed in the environment. Very much a test - I haven't added a ground cover even. But I was targeting a late afternoon verging on twilight for the lighting. The only material changes were to the water, the glass on the lamps, and setting the lamps as emitters.

It`s so.... aargh... This is what happen when I use your Settings.

Maybe it have something to do with the Skydome itself... because I noticed that on some Skydomes I can`t use Emission.

btw. what do you choose when adding the Emission Shader; Replace or Ignore? I testet booth and none have a desired result; when I use Ignore the Render ended up black or brown or any other Color; when I use Replace it ended up white.

Hmm. Not a clue. What skydome are you using? I might have it. Also, FWIW, I just tried doing a dome-only render with a different skydome in the environment map. I had to lower both the environment map value and the environment intensity to avoid blowing out the scene. Significantly, I didn't bother to include the skydome in the scene itself - just as the environment map.

I've been using 'ignore' when applying the shader, but I don't know that there would be any difference in a skydome.

I've been using the skydomes from P3DA because they're the first I found in my library (I REALLY need to start classifying things so I can find them).

These are the Skydomes that I try and the results I get:

Predatron "Essential Lights and Skies" - the normal skies render but without Clouds, Stars, Moon and so on; the IDL render only black (Emission Shader can`t be added to them).

Dimension "Theory Skies of Economy" - same Problem, they render but without Clouds and so on.

Marshian "Ocean Wide" - they render only complete blue or black, also no Clouds and so on.

Dreamlight "RenderSphere for DAZ" and "Forsaken World" - render only black.

Flipmode "FM Night Builder" - renders only black

The DigiVault "Sci Fi Star Cruiser" - this is the only Skydome wich render nearly as they should, it`s a bit milky and every light effect that Comes with Nebula or from other things are completly gone.

Dimension Theory "HDR Pro Sets" - reder good but always have a extrem sepia touch, like a old photograph.

Post edited by R25S on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Richard

It seems to just drop the GPU and continue with CPU - sometimes, according to the log, it may actually manage a few passes in the GPU before falling back to the CPU only.

Thanks. I was amazed at the speed up with only 144 CUDAs but lack of vram is a bummer and it'll be a while before I do anything about it.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Fun fact time. LOL.

1. Most car commercials you see, at least in the US, when the car is sitting there, are Iray renders and not real cars.

2. Adding lights does not generally add to the render time. In some instances, adding more lights actually decreases render times.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

R25S said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:

You're missing one minor but key step. Plug the skydome image (jpg or whatever) into the environment map.

I did not recognice that this was missing (normaly it is set automatic, as far as I know).
    But in the first try, setting the map, doesn`t chance anything. Just after deleting the Emitter Shader the Sky is shown in the rendered Image but now it is really dark and not clear

I'm re-rendering now, just to make sure I'm not blowing smoke - I'll post the result and settings in about 20 minutes, when it finishes.

The illumination on this scene is from the skydome, with just a slight bit from the lamps around the deck.

The two sets of settings show what I have the skydome set to, and what I've changed in the environment. Very much a test - I haven't added a ground cover even. But I was targeting a late afternoon verging on twilight for the lighting. The only material changes were to the water, the glass on the lamps, and setting the lamps as emitters.

Maybe it have something to do with the Skydome itself... because I noticed that on some Skydomes I can`t use Emission.

btw. what do you choose when adding the Emission Shader; Replace or Ignore? I testet booth and none have a desired result; when I use Ignore the Render ended up black or brown or any other Color; when I use Replace it ended up white.

Hmm. Not a clue. What skydome are you using? I might have it. Also, FWIW, I just tried doing a dome-only render with a different skydome in the environment map. I had to lower both the environment map value and the environment intensity to avoid blowing out the scene. Significantly, I didn't bother to include the skydome in the scene itself - just as the environment map.

I've been using 'ignore' when applying the shader, but I don't know that there would be any difference in a skydome.

I've been using the skydomes from P3DA because they're the first I found in my library (I REALLY need to start classifying things so I can find them).

Predatron "Essential Lights and Skies" - the normal skies render but without Clouds, Stars, Moon and so on; the IDL render only black (Emission Shader can`t be added to them).

Dimension "Theory Skies of Economy" - same Problem, they render but without Clouds and so on.

Marshian "Ocean Wide" - they render only complete blue or black, also no Clouds and so on.

The DigiVault "Sci Fi Star Cruiser" - this is the only Skydome wich render nearly as they should, it`s a bit milky and every light effect that Comes with Nebula or from other things are completly gone.

Did you set double sided light to ON?

It's much faster render-wise to just take the textures from the skydome and put them in the environment map in render settings, but it's definitely possible to render all of these as skydomes.

edited December 1969

R25S said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:
    namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:

Did you set double sided light to ON?

It's much faster render-wise to just take the textures from the skydome and put them in the environment map in render settings, but it's definitely possible to render all of these as skydomes.

Double sided light is set to off (as it is by default).
    I changed it to on and it worked... but only for the Ocean Wide Skydome...
    all other Skydomes render black like before... with one exeption, the Predatron Skydoms now render all brown.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Remember that you also need millions of lumens if you're rendering a skydome as an emitter, because you're imitating a light that is huge and far away. One followed by ten zeroes is a good starter value.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Have had Bryce since it first came out hate the interface keep hoping they'll change it
    I actually bought Vue back around version 3 or 4 because it could load the Bryce files
    Have also had Carrara since it first came and really should use it more
    Have had Poser and Studio since they both first came out was never happy about how hard it was to get
    realistic renders I use Lux but has been noted at the moment it's really slow so I have hopes for Iray provided Studio will function
    Have had problems with it after the 4.0 version came out but it seems to be getting better again

I bought Vue so I could create environments into which I could place Poser characters. I dropped Poser and lost interest in Vue. Bryce seemed to be the closest to Vue that bridged with DS, but, I wanted a 64bit version so that was a good bridge, but one never came.

CHEERS!

Yeah I might try using it again in a 64 bit version
    I think 32 bit 's going disappear in the not to distant future as most hardware has already advanced that way

And not to derail topic anymore I'm happy to see lots of useful info and discussion and looking forward to using this

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Someone asked how to use the Emissive Shader, and in my reply I forgot the following:

One can also have an image to emit light, like a TV screen. Select the surface, make a note of the image (if any) in the Diffuse channel, and apply the Emissive shader. Select the Base Color and Emission channels, browse to the location of that image and load it.

I spent a while figuring this one out, and I've posted my results in the tips thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/780759/

Btw, instead of noting the texture, CTRL+click the shader and choose Ignore Map. Then just add it to the emission channel.

Here's one of the renders.

mac

monitor2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 158K
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

DrPingy said:
    DrPingy said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Well I've been testing this just a bit since the upgrade. I understand the photo settings from my photography days. My biggest problem seems to be with the texturing and shaders. Grass shader won't do much of anything for me. The iray shaders are wonderful but there are none for things like grass, stone, ground or wood. I'll keep pounding away at it though cause I do love it.

The grass shader is a 3Delight procedural shader, so I'm afraid it won't work in Iray. We do have access to iray functions in Shader Mixer, so it may well be possible to make an Iray grass shader - but note the discussions on displacement, which is what was used to make the grass blades.

I tried to use the shader mixer for Iray. But I didn't find Iray bricks or nodes or...
    Does it work in this beta version?
    If yes, how?

The Iray nodes are those in the MDL sub-menu, plus a few others (for example, several in the utility sub-menu).

Ok, thank you. I found it.

I tried to import from scene. That do not work.

I constructed one with shader mixer but it doesn't work.

The bricks used were (all of them MDL Language):
    MTL Surface
    Material
    Material Surface
    Simple Glossy BSDF
    User Parameters (for feeding some imputs)

After all inputs were properly connected, I hit apply button on sphere, render with IRay renderer, all I got is a reflective Surface, changing color, does not change from render to render.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.

edited December 1969

Remember that you also need millions of lumens if you're rendering a skydome as an emitter, because you're imitating a light that is huge and far away. One followed by ten zeroes is a good starter value.

I used a 1 with ten 0. And this will be the highest number that can be put in the Emission Tab. But it doesn`t work.

btw. I found another Skydome and to my surprise it render perfect (without any Emission Shader) it is the one from Dumor3D "Spa Sauna" (this is a UberLightEnvironmentSphere - maybe it works because it uses UberLight)

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

A quick question isn't iray meant to have ptex support? I can't get it to work.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited March 2015

jag11 said:
    DrPingy said:
    DrPingy said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Well I've been testing this just a bit since the upgrade. I understand the photo settings from my photography days. My biggest problem seems to be with the texturing and shaders. Grass shader won't do much of anything for me. The iray shaders are wonderful but there are none for things like grass, stone, ground or wood. I'll keep pounding away at it though cause I do love it.

The grass shader is a 3Delight procedural shader, so I'm afraid it won't work in Iray. We do have access to iray functions in Shader Mixer, so it may well be possible to make an Iray grass shader - but note the discussions on displacement, which is what was used to make the grass blades.

I tried to use the shader mixer for Iray. But I didn't find Iray bricks or nodes or...
    Does it work in this beta version?
    If yes, how?

The Iray nodes are those in the MDL sub-menu, plus a few others (for example, several in the utility sub-menu).

Ok, thank you. I found it.

I tried to import from scene. That do not work.

I constructed one with shader mixer but it doesn't work.

The bricks used were (all of them MDL Language):
    MTL Surface
    Material
    Material Surface
    Simple Glossy BSDF
    User Parameters (for feeding some imputs)

After all inputs were properly connected, I hit apply button on sphere, render with IRay renderer, all I got is a reflective Surface, changing color, does not change from render to render.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.

I will first say that the Shader Mixer integration is the most beta part of the beta. I have attached an image of a simple network that will render a diffuse material in 3Delight and Iray. It uses the alpha from said image to drive the opacity strength in both renderers. You can see the results on the right. Top using Iray draw style, bottom 3Delight render.

Diffuse_and_Opacity_Sample.jpg
    1914 x 1160 - 279K
    Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

tippy toe ... tippy toe ...

Okay ... I have downloaded/installed this on my laptop and I like the program but my better video card which should work better with it is on my offline computer. Is it safe to simply manually install the beta on the offline computer WITHOUT it wreaking 4.6?

tia

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    edited December 1969

Okay ... I have downloaded/installed this on my laptop and I like the program but my better video card which should work better with it is on my offline computer. Is it safe to simply manually install the beta on the offline computer WITHOUT it wreaking 4.6?

tia

I was afraid of this too and tried to install into another directory. Didn't work for me so I threw all caution to the wind and let it install where it wanted - it wanted to be with my previous install of 4.6 but has it's own directory , like this:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build

whereas my old DAZ is here:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4

Hope this helps.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:

tia

I was afraid of this too and tried to install into another directory. Didn't work for me so I threw all caution to the wind and let it install where it wanted - it wanted to be with my previous install of 4.6 but has it's own directory , like this:

Hope this helps.

Okay thanks :-)

edited December 1969

Gogger said:

tia

Hope this helps.

Copy the DIM installer and the DS beta zip to your off-line machine, with the zip going in the DIM downloads folder, and run DIM. You don't need to be online to install with DIM.

• GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 131
    edited March 2015

Wow...I just lurked over here (I'm usually in the beginner's section) and stumbled on this. I was just dreaming about having a physically based unbiased engine for DAZ as I'm making an evening outdoor scene tinkering with lighting setup.

I didn't read all 62 pages of this thread so forgive me if I missed some info. 2 questions:
    My system specs:
    Windows 7 64bit
    i7-4930k 3.5-3.7GHZ.
    EVGA NVidia GTX 760 2GB
    16GB RAM
    Is this ok to get some good results?

If I install this, will I have to port all my content over to see them or will DAZ 4.8 find the content I already have using in 4.7?
    Will this install effect my 4.7 installation in any way?

Post edited by GeneralDee on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888
    edited December 1969

I'm finding some scenes, like Level 19 and Stonemason's generic SciFi corridors, simply fail to render. It just grinds and grinds without anything appearing in the render window.

Is this likely to be an application issue, or 'your machine stinks' issue?

edited December 1969

1. The Graphic Card could use more Memory but for not to big Scenes no Problem.
    2. You need only to set the Content Directory in DAZ 4.8
    3. No, another Folder will be created for the Beta

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I'm finding some scenes, like Level 19 and Stonemason's generic SciFi corridors, simply fail to render. It just grinds and grinds without anything appearing in the render window.

Is this likely to be an application issue, or 'your machine stinks' issue?

It might be a "we'll all have to re-learn how to do lighting" issue. How are you lighting the scene? If you've never used a similar render engine (e.g. LuxRender) before, then your entire lighting setup will be completely different from what's needed for a 3Delight render. Lighting in 3Delight fakes actual real-world lighting, and needs some standard tricks and workarounds. Unbiased render engines like Iray and LuxRender don't fake anything, they actually do real-world lighting.
    edited December 1969

I don't mean 'the scene is black,' I mean it's not rendering ANYTHING... just checkerboard.

I left it running for an hour at one point, and nada.

edited March 2015

Strange, i have another Error with the rendering.

Lighs: Skydome (emission Temp. 4800K)
    Rendersettings: Quality 1, Caustic Sampler active,Instancing Opt. Speed

The same sometimes with the Architectual Sampler

Without cause jumps the Convergence to the Limit and the Render is finished. The result is suddenly dark...

Here the Part of the Log File
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using built-in ray tracing.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Geometry import (1 object with 1368K triangles, 1 instance yielding 1368K triangles) took 1.914397
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating materials.
    Iray INFO - module:category(MATCNV:RENDER): 1.0 MATCNV rend info : found 569 textures, 0 lambdas
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating environment.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating lights.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating object flags.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating caustic portals.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Updating decals.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Using batch scheduling, architectural sampler enabled, caustic sampler disabled
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Initializing local rendering.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering with 2 device(s):
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads)
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering...
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): Scene processed in 19.901s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Scene processed in 19.917s
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Allocated 117 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.2 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): Allocated 117 MB for frame buffer
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.8 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Device optimized for interactive usage; performance could be sacrificed
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00001 iterations after 21.347s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00704 iterations after 1068.795s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevent device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.10 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Execute device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.69 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): Prevented device timeout
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00730 iterations after 1071.387s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00731 iterations after 1071.505s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00796 iterations after 1071.728s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00917 iterations after 1071.840s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 01102 iterations after 1074.836s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 01103 iterations after 1076.313s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 08230 iterations after 1076.384s.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Convergence threshold reached.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Maximum number of samples reached.
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Device statistics:
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 970): 8028 iterations, 19.954s init, 1057.875s render
    Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : CPU (7 threads): 202 iterations, 19.960s init, 1054.966s render
    Saved image: C:\Users\Twilight\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 Public Build\temp\render\r.png
    Finished Rendering
    Total Rendering Time: 18 minutes 3.83 seconds

Test_4a_error.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Twilight76 on
    edited December 1969

Whatever problem I'm experiencing seems to be specific to certain scenes/models. Hopefully something that goes away toward live (though thankfully the much simpler scenes I've created have, so far, worked fine).