DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,310
    edited March 2015

I'm finding some scenes, like Level 19 and Stonemason's generic SciFi corridors, simply fail to render. It just grinds and grinds without anything appearing in the render window.

Is this likely to be an application issue, or 'your machine stinks' issue?

I have rendered Stonemason stuff before, but not Level 19. So here it is after 1 minute 43 seconds of Iray rendering.

I opened a new scene, merged the Level 19 set into it, didn't even add any lights or do anything besides frame it in the default camera. Clearly there are some 'light leaks' in loose seams, but otherwise it was well on it's way to being a fine render.

Level_19_iRay_001a_001a.jpg
    1500 x 938 - 349K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited December 1969

Well THAT'S weird. Maybe it's my machine.

That gives me hope, since I'm going to be doing some big upgrades soonish.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    DrPingy said:
    DrPingy said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Well I've been testing this just a bit since the upgrade. I understand the photo settings from my photography days. My biggest problem seems to be with the texturing and shaders. Grass shader won't do much of anything for me. The iray shaders are wonderful but there are none for things like grass, stone, ground or wood. I'll keep pounding away at it though cause I do love it.

The grass shader is a 3Delight procedural shader, so I'm afraid it won't work in Iray. We do have access to iray functions in Shader Mixer, so it may well be possible to make an Iray grass shader - but note the discussions on displacement, which is what was used to make the grass blades.

I tried to use the shader mixer for Iray. But I didn't find Iray bricks or nodes or...
    Does it work in this beta version?
    If yes, how?

The Iray nodes are those in the MDL sub-menu, plus a few others (for example, several in the utility sub-menu).

Ok, thank you. I found it.

I tried to import from scene. That do not work.

I constructed one with shader mixer but it doesn't work.

The bricks used were (all of them MDL Language):
    MTL Surface
    Material
    Material Surface
    Simple Glossy BSDF
    User Parameters (for feeding some imputs)

After all inputs were properly connected, I hit apply button on sphere, render with IRay renderer, all I got is a reflective Surface, changing color, does not change from render to render.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.

I will first say that the Shader Mixer integration is the most beta part of the beta. I have attached an image of a simple network that will render a diffuse material in 3Delight and Iray. It uses the alpha from said image to drive the opacity strength in both renderers. You can see the results on the right. Top using Iray draw style, bottom 3Delight render.

I appreciate your reply. I guess my lava shader can wait a little bit.

I find Iray shader(MDL) far more easy to learn than RSL ones. Whoever decided to adopt Iray made the right decision.

Congratulations to the DAZ Dev Team.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

FINALLY caught up ... Phew. Was ill on release day, and didn't see about the 4.8 Beta/Iray or start reading this thread until the next day. Since then the thread's kept growing faster than I could read it.

Sounds like great news for DAZ and other users ... but leaves me feeling like with my Intel i3-330M, 4GB RAM laptop with 'mighty' Geforce GT 325M card with its 1GB DDR3 RAM and staggering 48 CUDA cores (I had to look the last up as they hadn't come to my attention before) I might as well give this lark up.

One question, though, wanders through my fuzzy mind. For the environment maps in iray ... does it just use latlong format, or can it take other formats like light probe and those unfolded-cube-cross type ones?

edited December 1969

A little confused... how does f/stop for the renderer relate to the f/stop for the individual camera? Is camera f/stop ignored for Iray? Does DoF work as normal?

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

A little confused... how does f/stop for the renderer relate to the f/stop for the individual camera? Is camera f/stop ignored for Iray? Does DoF work as normal?

f/stop for the camera is used for depth of field when depth of field is enabled.

f/stop on the tone mapper is used for the lighting calculation, ie it effects how bright the images is.

In the real world they are the same value. In Iray you are allowed to treat them separately. To be the most physically correct you'd set them to the same value and always have depth of field on, but because you can disable depth of field on the camera we choose to keep them separate.

edited December 1969

Well THAT'S weird. Maybe it's my machine.

That gives me hope, since I'm going to be doing some big upgrades soonish.

Did you try moving your camera around? This sounds weird, but CAN happen - maybe you inadvertently parked the camera inside a pillar or something was occluding the camera's point of view? I've done that with Reality before.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    DrPingy said:
    DrPingy said:
    ccbn213 said:
    Well I've been testing this just a bit since the upgrade. I understand the photo settings from my photography days. My biggest problem seems to be with the texturing and shaders. Grass shader won't do much of anything for me. The iray shaders are wonderful but there are none for things like grass, stone, ground or wood. I'll keep pounding away at it though cause I do love it.

The grass shader is a 3Delight procedural shader, so I'm afraid it won't work in Iray. We do have access to iray functions in Shader Mixer, so it may well be possible to make an Iray grass shader - but note the discussions on displacement, which is what was used to make the grass blades.

I tried to use the shader mixer for Iray. But I didn't find Iray bricks or nodes or...
    Does it work in this beta version?
    If yes, how?

The Iray nodes are those in the MDL sub-menu, plus a few others (for example, several in the utility sub-menu).

Ok, thank you. I found it.

I tried to import from scene. That do not work.

I constructed one with shader mixer but it doesn't work.

The bricks used were (all of them MDL Language):
    MTL Surface
    Material
    Material Surface
    Simple Glossy BSDF
    User Parameters (for feeding some imputs)

After all inputs were properly connected, I hit apply button on sphere, render with IRay renderer, all I got is a reflective Surface, changing color, does not change from render to render.

Any ideas? Thx in advance.

I will first say that the Shader Mixer integration is the most beta part of the beta. I have attached an image of a simple network that will render a diffuse material in 3Delight and Iray. It uses the alpha from said image to drive the opacity strength in both renderers. You can see the results on the right. Top using Iray draw style, bottom 3Delight render.

I appreciate your reply. I guess my lava shader can wait a little bit.

I find Iray shader(MDL) far more easy to learn than RSL ones. Whoever decided to adopt Iray made the right decision.

RSL is more flexible, but I agree with you that MDL is easier to use and learn.

Congratulations to the DAZ Dev Team.

Thank you very much.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Cjones! That's cool.

Gogger: Well, it wouldn't even render if I made the set invisible. I suspect memory issues. (I think Stonemason's stuff tends to be HD and incredibly detailed, whereas other stuff I'm working on isn't quite so much)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,066
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Cjones! That's cool.

Gogger: Well, it wouldn't even render if I made the set invisible. I suspect memory issues. (I think Stonemason's stuff tends to be HD and incredibly detailed, whereas other stuff I'm working on isn't quite so much)

I've lost track - somewhere in one of these threads (I think it was the Iray render thread) I posted a scene from Stonemason's new set lit with just the two overhead lights set as emitters. IIRC, I had to crank them both up around 10 million to get the image to render.

(Note to Stonemason: you need more light fixtures! :-) )

In any case, my 4 GB gpu card never got past 1.5 GB used - and it drives two 1920 X 1080 monitors as well. In any case, if your render shows as black try cranking the lights up to ludicrous levels. If the render is still black, there is something blocking the light.

edited December 1969

Again, it didn't even go black, it just didn't get to the step of drawing anything. But then I only have a GeForce 550. (Going to order a 970 this weekend, I think)

• GeneralDeeGeneralDee Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

Now that we have unbiased rendering does this new version support proper HDRi environment maps? Spherical and hemispherical maps to light the scene with more realism?

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 902
    edited December 1969

I desperately want to play with Iray, but I'm having trouble with 4.8 not locating all my installed content. Could someone be kind enough to give me a step-by-step for defining the content directories in 4.8? I'm afraid that I'm completely lost.
    Both 4.7 (and all content) and 4.8 are installed to the same hard drive, which is an external drive that I use purely for 3D, but 4.8 isn't seeing most of my content, and what it does see either loads as grey blocks or is oddly distorted. For example, Noggins Real Macaw is the only thing I've been able to load into a scene, and it looks almost fine, except for strange, large, yellow spikes that stick out of its chest.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

Okay, this is an odd one. Here are the rendering times for a pretty simple scene. A plane, AOA Ambient Light, G2F w/Viking Female Hair and the dancer outfit.

Iray

Total Rendering Time: 20 minutes 50.46 seconds

3Delight (non-progressive)

Total Rendering Time: 2 minutes 27.75 seconds

3Delight (progressive)

Total Rendering Time: 39.87 seconds

3Delight with progressive on is on light speed compared to the other two. Why is non-progressive so slow?

Also, if I move to the perspective camera, the plane renders properly, but if I go to my main camera that I have positioned in front of the model and pointing down a bit, it stops rendering the plane once it reaches 0 on the z-axis.

Very odd.

testScene_3Delight_non-progressive.jpg
    1080 x 720 - 179K
    edited March 2015

Nevermind...just answered my own question by doing my first render in the beta. Got my HDRi map going.....*big smile on my face*

One thing that's strange is grey blocky bones at the pelvis of one of my characters. Any one else saw that?

Post edited by GeneralDee on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

marykb said:
    I desperately want to play with Iray, but I'm having trouble with 4.8 not locating all my installed content. Could someone be kind enough to give me a step-by-step for defining the content directories in 4.8? I'm afraid that I'm completely lost.
    Both 4.7 (and all content) and 4.8 are installed to the same hard drive, which is an external drive that I use purely for 3D, but 4.8 isn't seeing most of my content, and what it does see either loads as grey blocks or is oddly distorted. For example, Noggins Real Macaw is the only thing I've been able to load into a scene, and it looks almost fine, except for strange, large, yellow spikes that stick out of its chest.

Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, be sure to put the content location in both DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 902
    edited December 1969

Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, be sure to put the content location in both DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.

Thanks so very much!

edited March 2015

Got too happy too soon.....Hemispherical HDRi support would be great. There are many sky maps in this format that Daz can take advantage of. I set the dome to sky+ground and don't see a difference. The sky is mapped on the whole sphere. Most spherical maps have background objects like buildings and treelines. That's good for their purpose. But sometime just having a good sky map alone is good when you are creating your own background elements. Just a sky is universal for any environment and give more creative opportunity. It would be nice to have environment dome settings in the environment tab.

Also, I usually use the active pose tool to pick at things and avoid the yellow highlighting of everything I mouse over. Is there a setting to turn the yellow highlighting off? It doesn't do that in 4.7 unless I don't remember changing something.

EDIT: I thought because I saw lighting looking correct that the HDRi was working as expected but maybe I'm missing something. The image of the HDRi is blurred out and not crisp. Is the image setting for the dome just for lighting and not for background image?

EDIT2: Figured out the highlight thing. Turned off the highlighting in the draw settings tab.

Post edited by GeneralDee on
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited December 1969

I have a question. When I do the IPR preview in the Aux Viewport, it appears to look more like my 3Delight rendering. The Iray rendering doesn't look anything like the IPR preview. Is it supposed to be that way?

screen_shot.png
    1920 x 1080 - 624K
    edited December 1969

I haven't had time to fiddle properly yet but has anyone managed to use Look At My Hair with Iray yet??? (Sorry if it has already been posted - I missed it)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

MacSavers said:
    I have a question. When I do the IPR preview in the Aux Viewport, it appears to look more like my 3Delight rendering. The Iray rendering doesn't look anything like the IPR preview. Is it supposed to be that way?

Make sure the Aux Viewport is set to Iray, it's set separately from the main viewport.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:
    I haven't had time to fiddle properly yet but has anyone managed to use Look At My Hair with Iray yet??? (Sorry if it has already been posted - I missed it)

Won't work — LaMH uses drawing functions built into the 3Delight render engine that don't exist in Iray. You can export LaMH hair as a mesh object, but if there's a lot of hair like a full-body furry critter it will thrash your rendering machine pretty heavily (unless you work at Pixar or Weta).
    edited December 1969

Gogger said:

Won't work — LaMH uses drawing functions built into the 3Delight render engine that don't exist in Iray. You can export LaMH hair as a mesh object, but if there's a lot of hair like a full-body furry critter it will thrash your rendering machine pretty heavily (unless you work at Pixar or Weta).

Good to know - I guess it was too good to be THAT true. I will use 3Delight when doing LAMH renders then.

Thanks for the info.

• ZwytZwyt Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

There is no "lighting model" option when using Iray. If you raise the value in the Glossy Roughness property, this will make the surface rougher to the reflected light and will alleviate the "shiny" look. :)

Kat

Sure there is if you are using DAZ Studio default shader on the object. It is found under the surfaces tab not in the render settings. See the pic below.

Studio_4.8_Pro_LM_.png
    443 x 203 - 10K
  • EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    edited December 1969

Do anyone have the same problem as I do?

I deselected the CPU option for both interactive and Photoreal renders
    But when I hit the render button, the render kept throwing everything into CPU to do the render instead of my GPU.
    I checked my GPU and It has 0% load with normal temperature.

It happens occasionally and sometimes it quits from GPU render to CPU render without me doing anything.

I'm having 2 Titan Black with no SLI for render and one more for monitor, shouldnt have any problem rendering

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Yeah I might try using it again in a 64 bit version
    I think 32 bit 's going disappear in the not to distant future as most hardware has already advanced that way

And not to derail topic anymore I'm happy to see lots of useful info and discussion and looking forward to using this

If you could save DS scenes as .pz3's as well as DUF's then Vue would have something it could work with. Ah well...

We've derailed long enough, LOL!

CHEERS!

• SempieSempie Posts: 651
    edited March 2015

I'll probably wait until Studio 4.8 is out of beta stage and will have a regular release.

My hardware is not really up to date any more.

My computer is six years old, has a quadcore Xeon at 2,5 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, and a
    Quadro FX 1700 card with 512 MB, 32 cuda cores, with only Direct X 10 support,
    (meaning that it will not play nicely with the Unreal 4 engine I downloaded
    yesterday, that one needs Direct X 11.)

I do not have the financial means to upgrade the system in any way at this time.

Will the IRAY render engine be able to use my Quadro FX at all (given very small
    scenes), and is my CPU up to this, or will I have to be prepared to wait for a week
    for my renders? (Never used Reality or Luxus, have no experience with non-biased
    render engines as yet, but I am rather thrilled at the prospect of trying it out.)

Post edited by Sempie on
    edited March 2015

Double post by mistake, sorry

Post edited by Sempie on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2015

Sempie said:

Will the IRAY render engine be able to use my Quadro FX at all (given very small
    scenes), and is my CPU up to this, or will I have to be prepared to wait for a week
    for my renders? (Never used Reality or Luxus, have no experience with non-biased
    render engines as yet, but I am rather thrilled at the prospect of trying it out.)

This test render took 50 min, on an 8 gig laptop, cpu only iray render, no nvidia card. Well worth the time.

iraygtx.png
    800 x 432 - 384K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited December 1969

This test render took 50 min, on an 8 gig laptop, cpu only iray render, no nvidia card. Well worth the time.

Ok, I'm impressed.

I used to work in the animation industry (traditional at first, later on in Maya), and knew from colleagues to keep away
    from ATI Radeons - nVidia was always the preferred choice for the CGI industry. I even went for a Quadro FX - but it's
    ancient now.

Good to see Iray is fast enough on CPU only.