NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I'm hoping someone picked up the new Tara & Sachra HD for Victoria 7 http://www.daz3d.com/tara-sachra-hd-for-victoria-7 and can do a mini-review and render :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited October 2015

I didn't, but hopefully someone will do that. BTW, the link is 404. It should be this one.  I think you got the "and" attached to it. 

If you folks aren't reading the threads about the new 4.9 Studio version, well...you might want to.

Post edited by Novica on

yeah....no idea how the 'and' got attached to the link LOL

Yep reading that thread about the new 4.9 and completely despairing. But not bringing it up here cos don't want this one to get hijacked - I enjoy the reviews too much :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582

I admit that Sachra almost scares me! She looks so real, and those teeth. I had to do a double-takewhen I saw her promo art, because she is so convincing with bony things sticking out of her shoulder, and open snarling mouth. Too real for me. =-)

Yep. One thing I would mention to everyone- which I do everytime a new studio version comes out- is go to Product Library right now and download this version so you'll have it (including all the Essentials, the Go Z, etc.) You might forget to do it, or they might take it out of the Product Library sooner than you're thinking (it will disappear from there once the new version goes live.) 

And the main thread said to back up your content before using Beta, here's how to do that. (I'm bad, I forget often.) 

I have ALL my products downloaded in an external hard drive. I have a question to ask over on the other thread, and yes, keeping it off here. Glad you like the reviews- some great renders from other artists help significantly. Anyone having those products mentioned above, please feel free to render and post them.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited October 2015

an older product smiley

Me?..........Nooooo... I don't have that piece of cheese.

3D Universe Toon Mouse http://www.daz3d.com/3d-universe-toon-mouse

Muis.jpg
    1082 x 1400 - 665K
    Post edited by Sasje on

Really cute Sasje! Me like very much! =-)

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,710

LOL, so cute, Sasje!

Has anyone bought the new DraagonStorm Metal Magic Overlays and the Body Art addon? I was wondering about all the stuff that doesn't show in the promos or if I misunderstood the description. It says there are 170 Face Mask and Normal files! Wow, sounds cool! Also 37 arm, 37 leg and 18 torso designs. I wish she had posted these in the Commercial Products area but I couldn't find anything. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,236

Yeah I'd be interested to see that too - Metal Magic Overlays is hovering on the edge of my shopping cart even as I write, but can't decide about the Body Art Addon.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,828

Sasje, that's a cute mouse! are there many poses that come with it?

Thank you Serene Night and Luci45 smiley

RGcincy said:

Sasje, that's a cute mouse! are there many poses that come with it?

Yes There is, there are 12 poses and some styling morphs and expression morphs

You can make him fat with big belly ore just fat ore normal ore mormal with a belly

big nose, log teeth small nose, a lots of things :)

MelanieL said:

Yeah I'd be interested to see that too - Metal Magic Overlays is hovering on the edge of my shopping cart even as I write, but can't decide about the Body Art Addon.

Ooooh, shiny! Haha. laugh I think I will just get the Overlays and forget about the addon for now. I don't think I would use it much. Still pondering as the new Stonemason The Nova goes into and out of my cart over and over. (The new Above the Fog for Iray and 3Delight stays in the cart for sure.) And I am trying not to spend as I wait for M7.

edited October 2015

LOVE the mouse! He's ready for Hollywood with his acting abilities LOL. 

One thing about the fog-to me, in Iray it seemed to have a distinct line (cutoff between the fog and clear areas) whereas in 3DL it seemed more realistic, aka floaty. It seems more geared to 3DL. The only one I thought looked less distinct was the image with the multiple cylinders or whatever they are. The 3DL ones all looked really awesome, and I like the fact the level of fog can be manipulated. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

I was flipping back through some images and went "ooooh! I remember this one!" from ages ago. (Well, seems like...) It's Jaina wearing Terri Hair at the Oasis. I believe she's wearing the Callidora Outfit.

I remember how hard I worked to get the depth of field in foreground and background with the palm leaf coming into the picture. I wanted some of the foreground in focus, some out, and moved the camera what seemed like a million times. I didn't want the palm leaf totally blurry either. I'm so proud of that little part on the palm that is out of focus, the end that curls up!  Finally got the entire thing to gel by moving one of the plant sections back a teeny bit. (that's not cheating, that's ingenuity.) 

So here's your question- what depth of field image took the most work or are you the most proud of? Love to see them!

JainaLtTerriHairOasis3.png
    753 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

LOVE the mouse! He's ready for Hollywood with his acting abilities LOL. 

One thing about the fog-to me, in Iray it seemed to have a distinct line (cutoff between the fog and clear areas) whereas in 3DL it seemed more realistic, aka floaty. It seems more geared to 3DL. The only one I thought looked less distinct was the image with the multiple cylinders or whatever they are. The 3DL ones all looked really awesome, and I like the fact the level of fog can be manipulated. 

I noticed those lines. I looked at the promos again and they are in all the Iray renders. I guess it is the edges and unavoidable. I suppose it the fog were not dense and seen from the top it would look best, but I'm wondering now if it would be worth the trouble. 

Nice use of DOF. I struggle every time I use it, having to make many many adjustments. It seems pickier in Iray than 3Delight. I will post one of mine later that I think came out well. 

edited October 2015

We are keeping the new studio version discussion off this thread, but in spirit of guiding you to the best information, go to BeeMKay's post which clearly tells you and SHOWS SCREENSHOTS of what you will experience when you first switch over, and the pros and cons of their experience. Very succinct. And to answer basic concerns, yes the data is stored on your computer, no you do not have to be online to use it, and one thing mentioned that I like- you right click and can go straight to the ReadMes. I use the DIM "i" to do that so I don't waste time finding my products in Content Library. I gave up on Smart Content a LONG time ago, and frankly have too many products to organize them. I'd never be rendering if I tried to do that. That said, one problem I have with this- when you first switch, I was told it will reinstall ALL your products (EDIT: METADATA FOR THE PRODUCTS), I've got to get clarification on that.  

But meanwhile, do check out that one post- it's awesome.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2015

Need to ask a favor- will everyone who surfs this thread and supports the work that goes into it from all the posters, please go vote in the contest? All answers are confidential and never discussed (I have a Masters in Counseling, so confidentiality is my specialty so to speak) and I want good input from the forum community. First and second place are running really close, with multiple entries contending for each- so we need some leaders pulling away from the pack so to speak. It says volumes that many entries are popular- I know it was hard for me to choose.

BTW, I voted first, for two reasons- to test the survey as it was the first time I set one up, and second, since I have access to the results, I wanted to vote first so ethically I'm not influencing anything.

The entries are here and the voting is here- but I gave you a link in the voting page so you can open a window with the entries and surf from there too. It's SO easy to vote! And a bonus- people who vote also get to submit ideas for future contests- what statements would you like for the Because I Said So! contest? There's a textbox in the voting form to submit your ideas, and only voters get to do that.

So help me out? And thanks to those who already have voted- you are appreciated very much! The voting link is also in my signature.

Post edited by Novica on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

This is a Re Post from Show me your iray renderds  I just love the new charactr so much

Pick Up a new G2f character  I really love how much meat she has on her Bone .  the skin texture is killer. I'm tying to pick up as much as I can out of my wishlist before daz goes to Daz Connect with version 4.9. 

So anyway this is  Natasha for Genesis 2 Female   My new fav girl  Real easy to render (you really got see how great she looks all natural .( Front)   (Back) she is really beautiful . )

I know what you mean- she has realistic measurements- curvy and nice skin tones. 

Let's hope 4.9 stays in Beta for awhile- they said they were trying to tweak several things- it seems that is piling up a bit so hopefully it will be awhile. Nice thing is we can use the DIM when it first comes on board, but we don't know how long that will be. I read your posts over there and you made good points. I'm still reading through what was posted since last night, it's hard to keep up with!

I didn't see the thread, but was told a few minutes ago that Richard said Michael 7 will be out December 6th. Meh. I thought for sure it would be November.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

I have no idea where the person who told you that got their information; there is no information is the most accurate statement.

• Novica said:

I didn't see the thread, but was told a few minutes ago that Richard said Michael 7 will be out December 6th. Meh. I thought for sure it would be November.

I said, in response to a suggestion that M7 was late, that it is usually about six months from female base to male base - that was a ballpark figure (a cricket ground figure?), not a firm prediction, and is in no way guaranteed.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited October 2015
    Novica said:

I know what you mean- she has realistic measurements- curvy and nice skin tones. 

Let's hope 4.9 stays in Beta for awhile- they said they were trying to tweak several things- it seems that is piling up a bit so hopefully it will be awhile. Nice thing is we can use the DIM when it first comes on board, but we don't know how long that will be. I read your posts over there and you made good points. I'm still reading through what was posted since last night, it's hard to keep up with!

I'm just very sad about ths whole mess and I know now I am bidding my time until I can no longer purchase content that use zip files the traditional way.  then my time buying things at daz will be through. I won't have any choice. I swore to myself if daz ever went cloud that was when i was done.  it just opens the door for to many other unwanted possibilities and side effects. I won't let MS do it to my Computer  so there is no way I'm going to let daz.   I'm a weird daz user because I have my system set like a studio using one main Drive to hold my content for a boat load of devices, and I use other types external content manager & hard rives drive as well that would all have to let have daz access too to make the connect work... Bull Split!!!!. . for all my types of software I have bought over the years even my daz 3a which I paid a 120 bucks for 7 years ago still works just fine. , so I'm not going to tell daz how to run their program business.and their not going to tell me I have to accept their DRM and seeming i can;t accept this change , so is it time for me spend my money else where.

If daz really thinks that people are going to risk their $6000 Rendering machines on Illegally downloads their crazy  the risk is to great to get crypto-locker  or worst.   Those people who download that crap would never spend a dime here at daz anyway   As I said I swore to myself if daz ever went DRM or cloud that was when i was done.  so I'm trying to get ready for that time. collect what I can afford before they make the change  and move on  I'm to old to change my ways, To bad daz forgot about us folks.

I also hope people don't think bad of me for standing my ground. I just have a certain way of doing things and its my money I spent to make that way. If a company wants my money they have to accommodate my needs not theirs.  But when the time comes when you can't adapt things  you have call it quits that times coming soon for me.  Beside I'm  sure will be able to find plenty of daz content at rendo and other sites for a while they will be still support Zip files.  I'm not mad anymore.  just very very sad. and really trying not to think about it anymore.

Anyway Thank you Novica for being a fan  :)

Post edited by Ivy on
    Novica said:

I said, in response to a suggestion that M7 was late, that it is usually about six months from female base to male base - that was a ballpark figure (a cricket ground figure?), not a firm prediction, and is in no way guaranteed.

No wonder I didn't see the thread. I've been looking to verify it, as I surf through the Commons and thought it would be there. So we can still hope for November...

edited October 2015

I went ahead and bought Above the Fog for Iray and 3Delight as I liked the look of the 3DL renders (I too think the iRay renders look too hard edged for my taste). I decided to test it with a scene I already had set up and posted previously (the man in boat). The three renders in this post are all 3DL.

My first reactions are that it is harder to use than I would have hoped. This may be partly my fault as at first I used the same low camera angle I had already set up and the fog seemed to be too sharp edged like the iRay renders. It was also appearing as a too thin layer that if I didn't get positioned right would leave areas without fog that I thought should have it. I also started with the Two Creek lights but wasn't happy with the look, so I took those out and added the Advanced Ambient Lights as the PA recommended, which helped a lot. 

Here's my first render at the low camera angle:

After doing a couple dozen test renders and not being happy with many of them, I went back and looked at the promos. Duh! They almost all are looking down on the fog (hence the name, Above the Fog). I liked the results I got from a higher camera angle much more and it didn't take as many tries to set up the scene. Here's the second render:

I also noticed that most of the promo renders had an intense light somewhere in the scene. So I added a lantern to the prow of the boat. That gives a much more dramatic focal point. I also hand-modified the fog intensity - the default medium was too light (used above) and the medium-heavy preset was too heavy. All I did was select the surface and changed the density to something in between the two. Here's the third render:

If you get this, it looks like the best 3DL results will come from looking down on the fog, using Advanced Ambient Light and a secondary bright light somewhere in the scene.

AboveTheFog_demo1.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 639K
    AboveTheFog_demo2.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 617K
    AboveTheFog_demo3.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 606K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

Thanks- that really helps folks see the differences. Have you tried Iray at all, from that same angle? Would you mind?

Novica said:

Have you tried Iray at all, from that same angle? Would you mind?

No I haven't but I'll go take a look and see what I can come up with.

Novica said:

I'm pretty sure what I heard Richard say : wink: was that Michael 7 would be out before thanksgiving, so I can enjoy rendering him along with the Thanksgiving Turkey... =-)  Yep, I'm pretty sure about that. All that talk about 6 months was just a cover-up. HEH. =-)

I just picked up Jane DOA, and the Sexy Skinz Stocking for G3 (now that paypal is back up), so I'm going to give them a play and will post here. :)

This discussion has been closed.