Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• skboa said:

Urich3d said:

Does anyone know how to get th G8.1 FASC interface to appear?

It's located under Anatomy in smart content.

Though it doesn't work for me, often times it just crashes Daz or it just does nothing when I try to move something.

For me it is found at People/ Genesis 8 Female/ Developer Kit/ Genesis 8.1 Female Face Controls.  (I don't use Smart Content)  It will install on G8F but does not work.  (I caused a crash when toying with it on G8 so one should likely avoid that.)  When installed on G8.1, it (the little arrows et al) is closely linked to the rigging of the face and, when you select an on-screen arrow, the corresponding bone is selected in the rigging.  Looking at the on-screen tool you will not know what transforms are locked and what ones are not – this can be easily assessed by glancing at the Parameters Tab.

2021-01-23_134909.jpg
    563 x 630 - 64K
  • charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited January 2021

I can confirm removing the folders

data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\
    data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\

does restore MOST expressions and I also have Mouth Open and some of the older expressions back as well

Post edited by charles_2239525 on
  • Frinkky said:

emoryahlberg said:

deepswing said:

emoryahlberg said:

Neat!

Am I able to apply a texture set from, say, Olympia while keeping the improved skin shader?

And I'm assuming all morphs work with 8.1?

That's what I am trying to figure out. So yes, you can apply Olympia 8.0 textures on it, but it looks like you switch to 8.0 technology then. At least I don't see any difference in test shots I did so far.

Yes, morphs still work (with some exceptions to expressions).

Odd. Why can't I just add the textures manually while keeping the skin shader settings?

Also, I'm very curious about this:

• Added support to leverage MicroSkin tiling micro normal maps from our partners at Texturing.xyz

Is the micro normals already part of the skin shader?

Copying from one surface to another copies shader settings, not the shader itself (which must be applied separately). Apply the Olypmia materials, select character, go to Shader Presets > Iray > Daz PBRSkin and double click Daz Iray PBRSkin. It should apply the shader whilst maintaining the maps in the appropriate slots. The new maps (detail normal/height, specular occlusion etc) would need to be applied from V8.1 if you have it - G8.1 doesn't use the new shader nor does it contain example maps for the new shader. 

Edit: You must be using 4.15 and dual lobe specular settings will need tweaking as they've added a new slider (Dual Lobe Specular Roughness Mult) and renamed the Lobe 2 slider. They've also removed some options from Top Coat which may require reconfiguring any customisations that relied on any removed options.

Not an expert in shaders but it looks to me like it is also missing the Cutout Opacity channel.  That for me has the potential to be a major PITA.  (Diffuse Overlay too i think.)   

• Matt_Castle said:

Petra said:

May I ask which data folders have been removed to make the expression work? 

I explain the details here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6427116/#Comment_6427116 - but again, I stress that it's at the user's own risk.

My best guess so far is that the expressions have been disabled for simplicity and to avoid PAs needing to support both sets of expression controls with corrective morphs, but it is possible that they were disabled for a more considerable technical reason (which could be unintentionally goofy facial expressions, or something more serious compatibility wise).

I hadn't directly replied to you yet because, basically, you were right, and I didn't see a need, but I can answer the why some as best I understand it. But you had already mentioned the why yourself-- speed.

Another issue is that not all expressions are the same. If you remove those folders and apply the expressions you have to G8.1, it will not necessarily be the same expressions as on G8. The older expressions will still drive the new expressions controls in most cases which are not identical. In particular I've noticed the eye area being different. They could come up identical, but there's no guarantee of that. 

Matt_Castle said:

My best guess so far is that the expressions have been disabled for simplicity and to avoid PAs needing to support both sets of expression controls with corrective morphs

And there is so much this :D  So far the pose and expression maker reaction has been this:

1. I'll do expressions for both.
    2. Starts work on 8.1 Expressions.
    3. Goes to make the same ones on 8.
    4. Wow, these are so much better on 8.1
    5. Nevermind the 8 ones. 8.1 is better. People won't want 8 after they use 8.1

We were also looking at making a converter, but there's no 1 for 1 exchange. There's no simple equivalency to be done. It also slows down loading and animation even more and that's something people have been griping about for a while.

• s_j_gregory said:

Not an expert in shaders but it looks to me like it is also missing the Cutout Opacity channel.  That for me has the potential to be a major PITA.  (Diffuse Overlay too i think.)   

Yes, there is no cutout because the shader is specifically designed for skin.

Diffuse Overlay is now called Makeup and there is a toggle to have the options on and off.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

Diffuse Overlay is now called Makeup and there is a toggle to have the options on and off.

Is there any explanation for the Makeup toggle?  anytime I have tried it I just end up with a white or extremely light face .... 

• I haven't had a chance to try G8.1 F yet, need to make backups before trying to update Studio to the latest version, but after following the thread I just want to say thanks to ChangelingChick for providing so many answers and so much help with this! I think DAZ did a poor job explaining things in their marketing materials, and you've been a huge help in clarifying things and pointing out additional features.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Kharma said:

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

Is there any explanation for the Makeup toggle?  anytime I have tried it I just end up with a white or extremely light face .... 

You need to put an mask in the strength image slot. If the makeup you're applying is a transparent png, then slot that in the strength slot, got to Image Editor and change the Greyscale From dropdown from Average to Alpha. Alternatively, if the makeup has an black and white opacity/alpha map, slot that in - leave on Average.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Frinkky said:

Kharma said:

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

You need to put an mask in the strength image slot. If the makeup you're applying is a transparent png, then slot that in the strength slot, got to Image Editor and change the Greyscale From dropdown from Average to Alpha. Alternatively, if the makeup has an black and white opacity/alpha map, slot that in - leave on Average.

Thanks, I will try that out and see what I get 

• Timotheus said:

Haruchai said:

Leana said:

Haruchai said:

Just to confirm Geoshells are an issue. I can use Makeup and Nails Geoshells by hiding the body of the Geoshell but here is Freya Tattoo Geoshell. There should be a tattoo on the upper chest as well as the head tattoo continuing down around her ear onto her neck. Hiding parts will not solve this obviously.

Did you apply a geoshell made for G8 to a G8.1 using the new shaders / UVs? IIRC a geoshell inherits the UVs from the base figure, so the geoshell is probably using G8.1 UVs and you applied textures made for G8 UVs to it.

Yes I did. A Geoshell applied directly to Genesis 8.1 Female loads all white and any existing presets either do not apply or apply but do not set any transparency to any surfaces. If I change the UV on a Geoshell from Base 8.1 Female UV to Base Female it makes no difference, body is still white.

If you go into the shell parameters and look under Visibility/Surfaces, you'll see the new Head and Body surfaces there. If you turn them off, the white should go away.

Geoshells et al

I am slower than most, so, as I work through this repeatedly trying things out, I find I am commenting on older parts of this discussion.  I might also say I have always struggled a bit with geoshells and their surfaces/visibility settings.  It might be early reporting this but, in what I have attempted, the renaming of surfaces makes many things made for G8F using geoshells a challenge to say the least: notwithstanding visibility settings and the ability to change UVs on the shells.

Let's say you have G8 geoshell based clothing item (undergarment) you want to use.  There are to my thinking two cases.  If it comes with its own geoshell creator it will not know what to do with the 'body' surface of your G8.1 figure (white 'undefined' result).   If it doesn't come with its own geoshell creator and you create your own, it will still not know what to do when you go to apply the 'MATs' because of the 'body' surface.  So, the solution I have come up with requires you to have G8 and G8.1 in the scene (with geoshells in this case), applying your 'garment' to the G8 figure and then copying the G8 geoshell 'torso' surface onto the G8.1 geoshell 'body' surface.  

There may be much more elegant solutions.  This one frankly sucks.  And I am thinking many tattoo products, tan line products, vein products will be similarly limited; but I could be getting ahead of myself.  The neck area might be the biggest challenge.  (But it took me a day to get NGV8 to work on G8.1 so 'elegant' might be too much to ask for. . . )    

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

To be honest, I do prefer the Iray Uber Shader to the PBR shader, it gives a much more natural skin result.

But that is only my humble opinion.

• s_j_gregory said:

Geoshells et al

I am slower than most, so, as I work through this repeatedly trying things out, I find I am commenting on older parts of this discussion.  I might also say I have always struggled a bit with geoshells and their surfaces/visibility settings.  It might be early reporting this but, in what I have attempted, the renaming of surfaces makes many things made for G8F using geoshells a challenge to say the least: notwithstanding visibility settings and the ability to change UVs on the shells.

Let's say you have G8 geoshell based clothing item (undergarment) you want to use.  There are to my thinking two cases.  If it comes with its own geoshell creator it will not know what to do with the 'body' surface of your G8.1 figure (white 'undefined' result).   If it doesn't come with its own geoshell creator and you create your own, it will still not know what to do when you go to apply the 'MATs' because of the 'body' surface.  So, the solution I have come up with requires you to have G8 and G8.1 in the scene (with geoshells in this case), applying your 'garment' to the G8 figure and then copying the G8 geoshell 'torso' surface onto the G8.1 geoshell 'body' surface.  

There may be much more elegant solutions.  This one frankly sucks.  And I am thinking many tattoo products, tan line products, vein products will be similarly limited; but I could be getting ahead of myself.  The neck area might be the biggest challenge.  (But it took me a day to get NGV8 to work on G8.1 so 'elegant' might be too much to ask for. . . )    

This is something that's been discussed and sent to Daz. They're looking at it, but it may end up being a need to update existing geoshell products to be compatible with 8.1. I've already updated a couple of mine and sent them to QA.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

ChangelingChick said:

Matt_Castle said:

Petra said:

I explain the details here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6427116/#Comment_6427116 - but again, I stress that it's at the user's own risk.

My best guess so far is that the expressions have been disabled for simplicity and to avoid PAs needing to support both sets of expression controls with corrective morphs, but it is possible that they were disabled for a more considerable technical reason (which could be unintentionally goofy facial expressions, or something more serious compatibility wise).

I hadn't directly replied to you yet because, basically, you were right, and I didn't see a need, but I can answer the why some as best I understand it. But you had already mentioned the why yourself-- speed.

Another issue is that not all expressions are the same. If you remove those folders and apply the expressions you have to G8.1, it will not necessarily be the same expressions as on G8. The older expressions will still drive the new expressions controls in most cases which are not identical. In particular I've noticed the eye area being different. They could come up identical, but there's no guarantee of that. 

Matt_Castle said:

My best guess so far is that the expressions have been disabled for simplicity and to avoid PAs needing to support both sets of expression controls with corrective morphs

And there is so much this :D  So far the pose and expression maker reaction has been this:

We were also looking at making a converter, but there's no 1 for 1 exchange. There's no simple equivalency to be done. It also slows down loading and animation even more and that's something people have been griping about for a while.

I second the thank you for being so involved and helpful on this topic! yes If I understand you correctly regarding the two folders discussion, I should not mess with them, as doing so would not provide any benefits and could lead to unfavorable results.

• Kharma said:

Frinkky said:

Kharma said:

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

Thanks, I will try that out and see what I get 

Hmmm.  Not sure how widely used it is but this would mean the new shader could not be used on the 'colour' or 'effects' layers of NGV8.  Maybe you could use masks in each channel - that would be fun.  I haven't checked extensively, because most grafts are not working anyways, but I recall most grafts I have for G8 use cutout opacity religiously as a way to blend their seams and/or adjust their effects.

WRT renaming the Diffuse to Makeup in the Daz PBRskin shader - more testing - but that likely means many makeups (some tan line, some skins and some tattoos//anything using the diffuse channel) will not survive a routine of applying the new shader to an existing character (without saving out the temp image(s) and reloading it(them) in the diffuse channel.)  We'll see.

Maybe it's too soon and I am not clever enough.  As I try to arrive at solutions to use my G8 'stuff' with G8.1, I am increasingly finding it more trouble than its worth.  Perhaps that was the point: keep G8 'stuff' with G8 and G8.1 'stuff' with G8.1.  

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928

Here's a quick and dirty render to make the tattoo look more realistic using the makeup toggle, I may have gone a little nuts with the G-Blur, but you get the point!

Screenshot 2021-01-24 181453.png
    2263 x 948 - 2M
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,928

ragamuffin57 said:

As an Avid spectral user, I agree  with the points you made here

My fear is that Daz Studio 5 will do away with Spectral Rendering altogether as a lot of users here find it too much of a hassle to use it as it's much simpler to use the default settings... But unfortunately, they're missing out on a lot of potential that this modest and extremely powerful program has to offer, I just hope Daz continues with its upward trajectory!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    edited January 2021

ChangelingChick said:

Matt_Castle said:

Petra said:

Matt_Castle said:

Well, since all my expressions do work I have no intention of upgrading if there’s a fix to remove them. I don’t do animation and I never use expressions at full value and like to create my own using small amounts of others. If the expressions were taken away, I would just never use any G8.1 content or buy any future content for it. So I think it’s a good thing that lets us use all our expressions that we have paid for.., 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

The tattoos can be made more realistic with a little blending in Photoshop. They need to be blended into the color layer at (guessing) 75% ish opacity...and blurred a little bit to make them look like they weren't freshly inked. Then they also need to be added to the sss map. 

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,960

Removing those folders does fix the expressions for the most part but they still look odd to me.  Also, Riversoft Art's look at me script seems to work now so that's a plus

• Frinkky said:

emoryahlberg said:

deepswing said:

emoryahlberg said:

Neat!

Am I able to apply a texture set from, say, Olympia while keeping the improved skin shader?

And I'm assuming all morphs work with 8.1?

That's what I am trying to figure out. So yes, you can apply Olympia 8.0 textures on it, but it looks like you switch to 8.0 technology then. At least I don't see any difference in test shots I did so far.

Yes, morphs still work (with some exceptions to expressions).

Odd. Why can't I just add the textures manually while keeping the skin shader settings?

Also, I'm very curious about this:

• Added support to leverage MicroSkin tiling micro normal maps from our partners at Texturing.xyz

Is the micro normals already part of the skin shader?

Copying from one surface to another copies shader settings, not the shader itself (which must be applied separately). Apply the Olypmia materials, select character, go to Shader Presets > Iray > Daz PBRSkin and double click Daz Iray PBRSkin. It should apply the shader whilst maintaining the maps in the appropriate slots. The new maps (detail normal/height, specular occlusion etc) would need to be applied from V8.1 if you have it - G8.1 doesn't use the new shader nor does it contain example maps for the new shader. 

Edit: You must be using 4.15 and dual lobe specular settings will need tweaking as they've added a new slider (Dual Lobe Specular Roughness Mult) and renamed the Lobe 2 slider. They've also removed some options from Top Coat which may require reconfiguring any customisations that relied on any removed options.

There is another part to this story.  If you actually use the Iray Daz PBRSkin shader with Olympia 8, you will appreciate some of the features of the new skin shader.  The Uber shader for Olympia 8 uses the Diffuse Overlay channel for the eyebrows (and makeup).   So these will not migrate because the shader does not have a this channel.  Much later in this thread there are comments about the diffuse channel being replaced by the makeup channel.  So if you have G8 with Olympia 8 loaded, you can simply apply the images from the diffuse overlay channel to the makeup channel.  But wait.  As Finkky has said, unlike the diffuse channel, the makeup strength channel needs a mask.  So after you add the image, go to Image Editor and change the Greyscale From: value to Alpha.  (There is more to Finkky's comments so check them out.) You will also notice quite a difference in overall colour.  I am not good with shaders so leave it to comments of others as to why this is the case.  Easy right?   

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

s_j_gregory said:

Easy right?   

Overwhelming.  I guess that's why we have PAs :-)  I just ended up with waxy skin.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 742

ALLIEKATBLUE said:

ope I have AFE and none of my Z or EJ or P3D expressions work

They depend on the underlying G8 face morphs (brow etc) which don't exist in G8.1.  Most of the expressions I have tried have that problem, even though they still show up under the parameters pane pose controls.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344

ChangelingChick said:

If you remove those folders and apply the expressions you have to G8.1, it will not necessarily be the same expressions as on G8. The older expressions will still drive the new expressions controls in most cases which are not identical. In particular I've noticed the eye area being different. They could come up identical, but there's no guarantee of that.

That doesn't agree with what I've observed; Although their top-level labels may be similar, other than eCtrlEyesClosedL and eCtrlEyesClosedR, all the new G8.1F expression morphs have entirely new underlying names, so old expression controllers will not be able to link with those new G8.1F expression morphs.

All the G8.0F base expression morphs (that most old controllers want to drive and which are being hidden by the placeholder files in G8.1F's data) are... well, morphs, and G8.1F still has the same vertex order, the same skeleton and (nearly?) the same base shape - if it supports G8F shaping figure morphs (even HD), then it's not obvious why expression morphs shouldn't also follow the same principle.

~~~~~

As is, though, the important question isn't really whether removing those folders restores the old G8F expression controls (it seems fairly evident that it does, but it can be left up to individual users whether they agree), but "does reactivating these morphs cause other problems?".

If Daz thinks it's better going forwards that the PAs only have to worry about giving their characters MCMs to correct for the new face controls, then that's fair enough, but there are a lot of veteran users who need their existing characters to have the same smile, or wink, or weary pout going forward. Loading existing character shapes is only part of the puzzle of maintaining continuity, and expressions are often a very key part of characterisation. My character "Jinx" absolutely relies on Open Smile Full Face HD, because she just now looks wrong with another smile, so I cannot reasonably move her onto G8.1F without that. A lot of my other existing characters are similar, forcing them to remain on G8.0F and thus not be able to benefit from a lot of products going forwards.

• vagans said:

ChangelingChick said:

vagans said:

Not everything is compatible. Anything that targets the skin surface might have issues as there is now a separate Head and Body. For example, LIE effects that modify the skin texture will have a cutoff at the neck. So a tattoo for example around the chest/neck area or on the head won't appear or will be cutoff when it reaches the neck seam.

Anything that uses geoshells and has something that extends across torso and head won't work either.

The geoshells thing is being looked into. But the LIE will still work. In the biggest test I could think of, I put my characer Magnus's skin on G8.1 then applied his upper arm tattoos (which are LIE and cross the arm/torso seams) and they applied without issue. Torso is renamed to Body so if this was an issue, this would be affected. Tested the back of the head tattoo as well (mat zone now named head) and it also worked like a charm.

Arm/torso won't be affected as that hasn't changed. Torso to head is. Example using ShanasSoulmate Inked product:

"..things that rely on UVs do not work: this means torso tattoos (they also end up on the head) like my 8 ShanasSoulmate sets), tan line/moisture products, body makeup/writing products, AddSomeVeins. . . ."

These products will not generally work on G8.1.  They may not work at all for G8.1 skins made for G8.1 if the body/head are in any way involved.  Because of the relative coincidence of the torso and body mappings between G8 and G8.1, I think there is lots of potential for faking it when trying (some) G8 tattoos or tan lines.  Depending on positioning, in some cases it might be a matter of simply undoing what might automagically happen to the head.  I think there is lots of potential using G8 (or G3) skins on G8.1 and trying tattoos or tan lines when you apply the Base Female UV.  Without reverting to the Base Female UV there is no way to use G8 vein images or displacement maps.  Summary, if you are using a G8.1 with a G8.1 skin, generally nothing from G8 involving UVs will work without trial and error and close inspection.  G8.1 can use G8 UV based products provided a G8 skin and Base Female UV is used.    And/or many products for G8 willl not work on G8.1 iff you are using a 8.1 skin/UV map on your G8.1 figure.   

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

So after messing around with G8.1 and V8.1 all day, I'm really missing my expression libraries. Am I being naive in thinking that someone clever such as Sickleyield could simply re-implement (and presumably sell) the missing morphs, such as 'Mouth Open' using the new face architecture and everything would start working again? If so, it does make you wonder why Daz didn't do this. I wonder if it's a coding issue... 'Mouth Open' is some sort of composite morph, which moves the jaw as well...

Yes and no?  In my testing I can text-edit expressions for G8 to load on G8.1, but the dhdm file (that is, the HD morph data that goes along with the bone pose) will not work with G8.1 because their geometry is different.  I figured there would not be a market for expressions converted to G8.1 without their HD morph components, so I never pitched it to Riversoft Art as a product.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

you may need to map transfer your tattoos 

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980
    edited January 2021

Comparing G8 and G 8.1 (right) females without applying skin shaders and morphs. Looks the same. Why bother?

twins.jpg
    3463 x 4847 - 814K
    Post edited by Payat Parin on

Habulin Dati said:

Comparing G8 and G 8.1 (right) females without applying skin shaders and morphs. Looks the same. Why bother?

They do look identical. When you say no skin shaders, doesn't 8.1 load with the new PBR shader? I'm not at my computer to try it myself.

• dawnblade said:

Habulin Dati said:

They do look identical. When you say no skin shaders, doesn't 8.1 load with the new PBR shader? I'm not at my computer to try it myself.

No, Genesis 8.1 loads with the original skin and shaders on the new UVs. Victoria 8.1 uses the new shader. 

ChangelingChick said:

dawnblade said:

Habulin Dati said:

No, Genesis 8.1 loads with the original skin and shaders on the new UVs. Victoria 8.1 uses the new shader. 

Ok, thank you! So the new shader is specifically for Victoria 8.1?