Genesis 8.1 / Victoria 8.1

Comments

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

does the easier face rig work on vanilla 8.1, if so how do I acess the tool?

• Hellboy said:

Habulin Dati said:

Hellboy said:

Habulin Dati said:

That advertisement should be seen clearly in a single render without tweaking anything or adding these and that! Such promises made that are not shown in the aftermath of a rendering device. What do you call that?

Everything you listed is there and also free. You are just not using it. There are a lot of example renders in the Genesis 8.1 page.

So therefore, I need to tweak this and that to use all or any of the so called improvements, otherwise it looks the same. Still, need to correct the advertisement. So misleading and confusing. 

They are giving you a free upgrade. What's misleading about it?. They never said they were going to send someone to your home to do the renders for you. 

A free upgrade that is stuck to G8.1 female only, even that requires knowledge of a certain degree to attain it's full potential. A lot of us are not artist like you. We are doing this for a hobby. The least we need from our purchases is a deceptive advertisement and extra effort to render.  FYI I don't need SOMEONE to render for me! Watch it.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

The upgrade is 'stuck' to G8.1 because the upgrade IS G8.1. It's free and I haven't been deceived as everything they said I could achieve with the new figure, I have. 

I get that you feel that, but perhaps the issue isn't as complicated as it seems. Don't have to be a paid artist to get the most out of the tools offered.

•  

Habulin Dati said:

They are giving you a free upgrade. What's misleading about it?. They never said they were going to send someone to your home to do the renders for you. 

A free upgrade that is stuck to G8.1 female only, even that requires knowledge of a certain degree to attain it's full potential. A lot of us are not artist like you. We are doing this for a hobby. The least we need from our purchases is a deceptive advertisement and extra effort to render.  FYI I don't need SOMEONE to render for me! Watch it.

I do - my renders are bad and I should feel bad.

• Ikyoto said:

Yes, in categories it's under Anatomy and in the file view it's in the /People/Genesis 8 Female/Developer Kit/ folder.

• Rev2019Rev2019 Posts: 167
    edited January 2021

Ok you can get realistic eyes for the first time with 8.1 but not from the default mess

i did some changes to the eye shaders and also textures.

let put it this way. this character just woke up from an bad hangover ;)

Issues with Default 8.1 Eyes are

Way too Dark eyes (shaders and textures are the problem)

Doesnt reflect the enviroment as much as they should.

Bump and details are not realistic and is increased too much (eyes doesnt look like level 10 for sandpaper right)

Realistic Eyes For Genesis 8.1.jpg
    4320 x 2160 - 8M
    Post edited by Rev2019 on
  • takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941
    edited January 2021

Rev2019 said:

Ok you can get realistic eyes for the first time with 8.1 but not from the default mess

Bump and details are not realistic and is increased too much (eyes doesnt look like level 10 for sandpaper right)

Default settings in all 3D programs should serve as the bane for artists and tinkerers everywhere!

At least they are for me, as the first thing I do with any program that I've installed is to customize the UI and as much that is allowed, this is why I love Daz Studio so much as it allows so much freedom for tinkerers!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • No encuentro en mi biblioteca Genesis 8.1 está actualizado el software a 4.15 y no está, alguien sabe la causa?

• mike6479 said:

No encuentro en mi biblioteca Genesis 8.1 está actualizado el software a 4.15 y no está, alguien sabe la causa?

I had to uninstall and re-install the "Genesis 8 Starter Essentials" before I could see Genesis 8.1 in my Library. (Sorry for translation, I used Google Translate.)

Tuve que desinstalar y volver a instalar el "Genesis 8 Starter Essentials" antes de poder ver Genesis 8.1 en mi biblioteca. (Lo siento por la traducción, utilicé Google Translate.)

edited January 2021

Rev2019 said:

The bump is a tad high (not too bad, though), but your eyes look much darker than my default eyes do

Eye.PNG
    1262 x 714 - 2M
    Post edited by Visuimag on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 744

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

My experience differs but I may not understand.  I can make LIE based tattoo products that cross the neck region, that work on perfectly well on G8, work on G8.1 provided I am using a Base 8 UV Map and a G8 skin.  If I use G8.1 out of the box (with the Base 8.1 UV) and apply a tattoo that includes the neck region it will not work.  (Because the tattoo does not know what to do with the 'neck' surface.)  (I can change the UV after, certainly, but then the skin is wrong.)   Could be that the devil is in the detail . . .   

Yes, LIE is UV dependent. It always has been. Existing G8 LIE products work on G8.1 on existing G8 UV skins. What I meant was that if you have a G8 UV skin and apply an existing LIE preset, it will work. 

s_j_gregory said:

I'd be quite interested in knowing how you are making out as my experience is entirely the oppisite: none of the grafts I have tried so far work;

Not working on G8.1: NGV8 (don't load); 3feetwolf HD nipples (don't load); breastacular (loads but MAT copy script does not work); futalicious (loads but MAT copy script does not work); gauged ears (don't load); golden palace (loads but MAT copy script does not work); headlights (loads but MAT copy script does not work); high res nipples (loads but MAT copy script does not work); lickalicious (loads but MAT copy script does not work); lifelike nipple graft (loads but MAT copy script does not work). 

The problems seem to be of two types: when the graft does not load at all it could be because the figure it looks for is G8.  When the MAT copy script does not work it is looking for the 'torso' surface.  There might be a way to 'trick' the graft (in some cases) and fit it from G8 to G8.1, then edit the scene ID and prefered base and save it as a wearable (after making any associated geoshells).  In the second case and, if not encripted, you might be able to edit the graft and or the MAT copy scripts to substitute 'body' for 'torso' (genesis8female for genesis8_1female etc) but you'll likely need cases for Iray Uber shader and PBRskin shader if desired (and you may end up with a mix of shaders because of the cutout opacity not being present in the PBRskin shader... and it being used extensively in the geoshells...).

In any event, I would be interested if someone has an easier way or is otherwise being successful.  Not being a novice software engineer, I would have to say the grafts, I have tried, don't work.       

Geografts work without issue if they were made correctly in the first place. Scripts don't necessarily. My suspicion is that those other stores are using scripts to apply geografts for some reason. And if they use geoshells for coverage on certain zones, that's an issue with geoshells, not geografts. Daz has no dominion over how other brokerages allow things to be made. Any geograft you get here will work other than scripts for copying materials or geoshells. 

Quick work-round for @s_j_gregory:

Instead of using the MAT copy script (or, indeed, as well as, because it doesn't do anything) select the G8.1F, find the "Body" surface in the surfaces tab, select it, right-click "Copy Selected Surfaces...", click on the geograft (it will also be displaced in the surfaces tab) and right-click "Paste to Selected Surfaces".  In general copy the surface to which the geograft is attached, though I'm not sure what happens with things like tongues.  I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the new PBRSkin shader too, although maybe the shader itself has to be set in addition to the copy.

The products I'm familiar with in the above list are based on straight-forward geografts; the products above that fail in the "MAT Copy" script.  They are exactly like the Daz geografts; they only apply to one figure (G8M or G8F etc) and the geografts don't have materials.

The difference is in how the missing materials are supplied.  In the DAZ approach the author of the skin has to supply materials for the specific geografts, so to add suppport for the new geograft which adds differently shaped anatomical elements to G8F and G8.1F skin authors will have to add new materials; indeed two separate materials because the geograft has an on/off toggle for a shape change and that shape change results in quite significant differences in the texture maps.

In the products with "MAT Copy" scripts the authors simply copy the G8F/M "Torso" surface onto the geograft; I don't think the script does anything else, however it is encrypted so I don't really know.  The Torso surface has been removed in G8.1F (at least), but the new "Body" surface has textures in the correct place for at least some of the products; this is why my "copy" work round works.  Of course the copied torso/body gets stretched over the whole geograft so at best looks somewhat flat.  To provide real textures the products use a geoshell and apply textures supplied with the product to that shell (not to the geograft); the approach should just work with G8.1F though the shaders will be whatever the product uses, not PBRSkin.

To compare with the new Daz G8F add-on that add-on has just one surface with relatively simple geometry (which is probably why the shape change needs a whole new set of materials) whereas the other product I checked has seven separate surfaces with geometry morphs which accomodate the toggle in the Daz product without a texture map change.  Personally I prefer the texture-copy approach even though the geoshell can cause inconvenient poke-through when partially exposed (i.e. when it can't simply be turned off).  Maybe a better approach would be to use some sort of LIE on the geograft surfaces after the material copy but that is probably quite difficult to get right.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

Richard Haseltine said:

Ikyoto said:

Yes, in categories it's under Anatomy and in the file view it's in the /People/Genesis 8 Female/Developer Kit/ folder.

if daz intends to include the FACS face rig with all new generations of figure going forward, i think Daz should consider increasing prominence of the tool.  i found it myself quite easily just by clicking around but new users would probably find it unintuitive to need to load in the rig separately to the normal rig. pass it on

one more renderer with the new eyes

i think i keep them.

Visuimag  thats the default Victoria 8.1 eyes nothing changed

Yes But.png
    2160 x 2160 - 7M
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,250

jbowler said:

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

My experience differs but I may not understand.  I can make LIE based tattoo products that cross the neck region, that work on perfectly well on G8, work on G8.1 provided I am using a Base 8 UV Map and a G8 skin.  If I use G8.1 out of the box (with the Base 8.1 UV) and apply a tattoo that includes the neck region it will not work.  (Because the tattoo does not know what to do with the 'neck' surface.)  (I can change the UV after, certainly, but then the skin is wrong.)   Could be that the devil is in the detail . . .   

Yes, LIE is UV dependent. It always has been. Existing G8 LIE products work on G8.1 on existing G8 UV skins. What I meant was that if you have a G8 UV skin and apply an existing LIE preset, it will work. 

s_j_gregory said:

I'd be quite interested in knowing how you are making out as my experience is entirely the oppisite: none of the grafts I have tried so far work;

Not working on G8.1: NGV8 (don't load); 3feetwolf HD nipples (don't load); breastacular (loads but MAT copy script does not work); futalicious (loads but MAT copy script does not work); gauged ears (don't load); golden palace (loads but MAT copy script does not work); headlights (loads but MAT copy script does not work); high res nipples (loads but MAT copy script does not work); lickalicious (loads but MAT copy script does not work); lifelike nipple graft (loads but MAT copy script does not work). 

The problems seem to be of two types: when the graft does not load at all it could be because the figure it looks for is G8.  When the MAT copy script does not work it is looking for the 'torso' surface.  There might be a way to 'trick' the graft (in some cases) and fit it from G8 to G8.1, then edit the scene ID and prefered base and save it as a wearable (after making any associated geoshells).  In the second case and, if not encripted, you might be able to edit the graft and or the MAT copy scripts to substitute 'body' for 'torso' (genesis8female for genesis8_1female etc) but you'll likely need cases for Iray Uber shader and PBRskin shader if desired (and you may end up with a mix of shaders because of the cutout opacity not being present in the PBRskin shader... and it being used extensively in the geoshells...).

In any event, I would be interested if someone has an easier way or is otherwise being successful.  Not being a novice software engineer, I would have to say the grafts, I have tried, don't work.       

Geografts work without issue if they were made correctly in the first place. Scripts don't necessarily. My suspicion is that those other stores are using scripts to apply geografts for some reason. And if they use geoshells for coverage on certain zones, that's an issue with geoshells, not geografts. Daz has no dominion over how other brokerages allow things to be made. Any geograft you get here will work other than scripts for copying materials or geoshells. 

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the new PBRSkin shader too, although maybe the shader itself has to be set in addition to the copy.

pretty sure the copy paste to surfaces doesnt work unless the shader is the same for both the copied surface and destination surface.  So they would have to apply PBR skin first before running a script that uses copy/paste.

edited January 2021

Rev2019 said:

I know what you're saying, I'm jut saying that mine don't look that way. Not sure what's going on with yours.

Post edited by Visuimag on
    edited January 2021

Visuimag said:

Rev2019 said:

I know what you're saying, I'm jut saying that mine don't look that way. Not sure what's going on with yours.

much brighter enviroment probably 

you dont have much light in your renderer right?

Post edited by Rev2019 on

Rev2019 said:

Visuimag said:

Rev2019 said:

much brighter enviroment probably 

you dont have much light in your renderer right?

I've presented a few renders in here with varying degrees of light. No issues. :P 

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited January 2021

I have to say, I'm not super impressed with the new PBR shader. 

Bluejaunte's characters (for instance) have just as much detail and aren't "waxy." 

The eyes and mouth are definitely better, but that's about all.

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,360
    edited January 2021

Leonides02 said:

I have to say, I'm not super impressed with the new PBR shader.

The flip-side is that PAs and users have had years to learn how to get the most out of Iray Uber, so we won't necessarily see the best out of the PBR shader just yet.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • jbowlerjbowler Posts: 744

lilweep said:

jbowler said:

ChangelingChick said:

s_j_gregory said:

s_j_gregory said:

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work with the new PBRSkin shader too, although maybe the shader itself has to be set in addition to the copy.

pretty sure the copy paste to surfaces doesnt work unless the shader is the same for both the copied surface and destination surface.  So they would have to apply PBR skin first before running a script that uses copy/paste.

You are correct.  It is necessary to set the impossible to find "Daz Iray PBRSkin" unter-shader first; it's under Shaders/Iray/Skin in "Smart" content, but if you search for "PBRSkin" it disappears.  Definately an unter-shader.

In fact it isn't immediately obvious if the PBRSkin on Victoria 8.1F is copied to an Iray "Uber" shader; my understanding is that PBRSkin is just another Iray Uber Shader, although it doesn't show up that way in Smart content. Some stuff isn't set, so maybe this might produce a visible seam with the right lighting and for certain it is better to get it right.  I don't know if the updates to the products in question handle this.

• I had the hardest time updating to G8.1 because the essentials pack for G8 is mislabled in Connect. Not sure about DIM or Daz Central. I didn't look. In Daz Connect, it's now labeled Genesis 8 Male Powerpose Templates, only it's not. That file contains all the essential stuff for both G8 Male and Female. Something I did with G8.1 also crashed DS. So far, I'm not really impressed. That might change if I actually get to render her.

• After finally getting to sit down GF8.1, the main issue that I have found is that 90% of the expressions that transferred over from GF8 don't work. Anyone else seeing this issue.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited January 2021

Digitalrdw said:

After finally getting to sit down GF8.1, the main issue that I have found is that 90% of the expressions that transferred over from GF8 don't work. Anyone else seeing this issue.

Did you try the removal of these folders as suggested earlier in this thread:

data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\
    data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\

Since we dont know the longterm effect of removing the folders i would suggest you rename the folders to 0Base Pose Head.Hold and 0Expressions,Hold that way the are there if you find that something from the new figure doesnt work as expected.

Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,537

Tugpsx said:

Digitalrdw said:

After finally getting to sit down GF8.1, the main issue that I have found is that 90% of the expressions that transferred over from GF8 don't work. Anyone else seeing this issue.

Since we dont know the longterm effect of removing the folders i would suggest you rename the folders to 0Base Pose Head.Hold and 0Expressions,Hold that way the are there if you find that something from the new figure doesnt work as expected.

Renaming the folders doesn't work, as DS read every folder irrespective of the name.

Zipping up the contents first before deleting them works and I'm told making the folder hidden should also work.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885

PerttiA said:

Tugpsx said:

Digitalrdw said:

Renaming the folders doesn't work, as DS read every folder irrespective of the name.

Zipping up the contents first before deleting them works and I'm told making the folder hidden should also work.

I just moved them out of data myself  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,885

PerttiA said:

Tugpsx said:

Digitalrdw said:

I just moved them out of data myself  

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    edited January 2021

I see these updates in DIM, are they normal updates or are they for the new G8.1?  I don't want to install any 8.1 content right now as I'm not sure what it does to the old 8 content.

dim_updates.png
    304 x 158 - 8K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742
    edited January 2021

I am really liking G8.1 now only because I am able to use all my old expressions and the new controllers for expressions. It baffles me why Daz purposely hid those and people have to go through hoops to use what they already paid for and what’s the point of having all the new controllers if by default they are hidden and unusable? Somehow I was lucky and my G8.1 installed incorrectly and let me use all my expressions. I’m afraid to upgrade anything now or I might lose them again. They ALL work.I am shocked that Daz purposely tried to make them NOT work!

I’m not sure if the “look up” and “look side/side” is any better than the original controls. It seems to distort the eyes a bit weirdly...

G8.1 test 7.JPG
    1065 x 1402 - 201K
    Post edited by Wonderland on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,537

Taoz said:

I see these updates in DIM, are they normal updates or are they for the new G8.1?  I don't want to install any 8.1 content right now as I'm not sure what it does to the old 8 content.

Genesis 8 Starter essentials include the base G8.1F figure

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Taoz said:

Yes that’s for G8.1 but it doesn’t affect your G8 files. You may not be able to use your expressions on G8.1 at first but scroll up to learn how to fix that. It’s just like having an additional character with the ability to use expressions better (once you get them back!)