UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• DoctorJellybean said:

This has been the most time consuming scene\render I've done to date. The ecology is Britain, which I've customized using Ultra Scenery Toolbox - Volume II. We need ecologies for parks smiley. Please click to view in proper resolution.

Proms in the Park

That is amazing and you are right we need parks for US, I ran into this lack with a render I will post shortly 

• I can't remember which ecology I used for this now and I ended up modifying it quite a bit anyway, by hand as I don't have toolbox 2 yet. 

The bridge and lamp posts are ones I have made just for this render. It is best viewed at full size. (once I can actually upload something that is angry )

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,065
    edited January 2023

That is impressive! And I aggree, ecologies for parks would be nice. Short well maintained grass, garden flowers along paths, decorative shrubbery, etc. :)

I did a Sheakspeare in the park background once. I used the Toolbox to mix up the trees and removed the long grass and grass tufts.

Post edited by lou_harper on
  • And finally here you go, please click for full view

RiverBridge.jpg
    2000 x 1414 - 171K
  • memcneil70 said:

Daventaki said:

Im trying to use MateriaMaker to put snow on the trees in US.  I am unable to get it to work, it either tells me it cannot create geometry or crashes.

Did you mean Materia MeshMaker? If so, I looked it up and found that @Paula (marazhen) successfully used it here. Maybe you can find some help in the discussion or she will pop in and help you.

Mary

Hi there ... yep, notifications not working again. :( I've done various experiments with Materia MeshMaker but so far all on the ground or on ground props with geometry (and/or planes), for which I am pleased with the results. (I've also tried Materia, highly modified, for sand, though less usefully.) Brief, intial forays into putting snow on US trees was not successful due to the instances/geometry situation. I ned to circle back to that. If I get some time today, I'll try again. 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

memcneil70 said:

Daventaki said:

Im trying to use MateriaMaker to put snow on the trees in US.  I am unable to get it to work, it either tells me it cannot create geometry or crashes.

Did you mean Materia MeshMaker? If so, I looked it up and found that @Paula (marazhen) successfully used it here. Maybe you can find some help in the discussion or she will pop in and help you.

Mary

Hi there ... yep, notifications not working again. :( I've done various experiments with Materia MeshMaker but so far all on the ground or on ground props with geometry (and/or planes), for which I am pleased with the results. (I've also tried Materia, highly modified, for sand, though less usefully.) Brief, intial forays into putting snow on US trees was not successful due to the instances/geometry situation. I ned to circle back to that. If I get some time today, I'll try again. 

I was afraid of that. I was able to get the snow on the ground without issue.  But nothing I did would get it on the trees no matter how many trees I have in the scene or what I did.  Might have to generate it without the trees then place some add the snow then use Scatter to add more in.  

Thanks for the reply!  

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • Daventaki said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

memcneil70 said:

Daventaki said:

Mary

I was afraid of that. I was able to get the snow on the ground without issue.  But nothing I did would get it on the trees no matter how many trees I have in the scene or what I did.  Might have to generate it without the trees then place some add the snow then use Scatter to add more in.  

Thanks for the reply!  

Some quick retesting here, given a few spare minutes ...

First, Instances to Objects will turn US trees to real instances, though there's a whole separate other thing about that, which I won't belabor here.

Once I had trees with geometry I tried some testing. For those who don't have Materia Meshmaker on hand, there's two ways of using it: it comes with a nice shader, which you can use alone to good effect for a lot of purposes (the ground, especially). There's also the Materia Meshmaker pane, which has presets intended for creating Meshmaker snow around people, animal-shaped things, and plane or cube primitives. Neither of these was particularly successful out of the box with a de-instanced US tree. Applying the shader to the individual surfaces (branches, needles, etc) produced too much coverage: the branches would have an unrealistic coating of snow on all surfaces including underneath, and putting the shader on the needles produced entirely freaky looking stuff. (And no, my beloved planes are of no use here.) I have not exhaustively retested the Meshmaker from the pane, but initial results produced giant tree-sized piles of snow - not nice snow scattered on branches. I have to review my notes on what the numerous pane settings do before I give up, but I think it was designed for use as a mounding snow on things like bodies, and the ground, vs fine, scattered things like branches.

I'm trying some testing with MARSA elements also.

I'm betting someone with higher end knowledge of surfaces might have some ideas of how to tweak the out-of-the-box effects.

edited January 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

First, Instances to Objects will turn US trees to real instances, though there's a whole separate other thing about that, which I won't belabor here.

Once I had trees with geometry I tried some testing. For those who don't have Materia Meshmaker on hand, there's two ways of using it: it comes with a nice shader, which you can use alone to good effect for a lot of purposes (the ground, especially). There's also the Materia Meshmaker pane, which has presets intended for creating Meshmaker snow around people, animal-shaped things, and plane or cube primitives. Neither of these was particularly successful out of the box with a de-instanced US tree. Applying the shader to the individual surfaces (branches, needles, etc) produced too much coverage: the branches would have an unrealistic coating of snow on all surfaces including underneath, and putting the shader on the needles produced entirely freaky looking stuff. (And no, my beloved planes are of no use here.) I have not exhaustively retested the Meshmaker from the pane, but initial results produced giant tree-sized piles of snow - not nice snow scattered on branches. I have to review my notes on what the numerous pane settings do before I give up, but I think it was designed for use as a mounding snow on things like bodies, and the ground, vs fine, scattered things like branches.

I'm betting someone with higher end knowledge of surfaces might have some ideas of how to tweak the out-of-the-box effects.

Hmm might have to try that I know that it can be added to a tree becuase one of the examples the PA does is with a fell tree.  I haven't had time to really test anything, will hopefully be able to this afternoon. I completely forgot about Instances to Objects,  Im pretty sure I own it too.

Thanks for doing the testing!  Will post any results if I figure it out.

• Daventaki said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Hmm might have to try that I know that it can be added to a tree becuase one of the examples the PA does is with a fell tree.  I haven't had time to really test anything, will hopefully be able to this afternoon. I completely forgot about Instances to Objects,  Im pretty sure I own it too.

Thanks for doing the testing!  Will post any results if I figure it out.

You're welcome! I'll keep trying and update if I figure anything new out.

• Well, that was weird. I had managed to link to an image after a fair amount of testing, but the whole post disappeared. Not sure what's up with that. Anyway, here's a retry at sharing the modest image in question.

If this one disappears, I'll just give up on it.

edited January 2023

Very nice paulawp! 

So the best result ive gotten so far is to use the geoshell then used the shader from MateriaMaker. I used a US Tree 8 prop, at this point I am just trying techniques until I figure out whats best then I will go back with US and see if I can get it to apply.  I have had no luck getting a geometry generated on the US trees that looks good. For this tree I did have to remove the leaf geometry completely from the prop.  Even if you hide the geometry in Geometry Editor the snow still applies to the leafs (with or without a geoshell). 

I used the geoshell from DA let it snow because I already had it applied.  The Materia shader looks better to me because it creates an uneven surface but Let it Snow doesn't look bad. Both have to much coverage.  Im going to play with the shader some to see if I can get it to be not as thick.  The picture attached is the default it looks to me like a snow came through but was blowing from one side, this tree has been rotated also.

2nd tree with the displacement minium set at -10 and raised the Y translate on the geoshell to 0.6.

Treewithsnow.jpg
    1310 x 922 - 852K
    Treewithsnow2.jpg
    1323 x 922 - 735K
  • Daventaki said:

Very nice paulawp! 

So the best result ive gotten so far is to use the geoshell then used the shader from MateriaMaker. I used a US Tree 8 prop, at this point I am just trying techniques until I figure out whats best then I will go back with US and see if I can get it to apply.  I have had no luck getting a geometry generated on the US trees that looks good. For this tree I did have to remove the leaf geometry completely from the prop.  Even if you hide the geometry in Geometry Editor the snow still applies to the leafs (with or without a geoshell). 

I used the geoshell from DA let it snow because I already had it applied.  The Materia shader looks better to me because it creates an uneven surface but Let it Snow doesn't look bad. Both have to much coverage.  Im going to play with the shader some to see if I can get it to be not as thick.  The picture attached is the default it looks to me like a snow came through but was blowing from one side, this tree has been rotated also.

2nd tree with the displacement minium set at -10 and raised the Y translate on the geoshell to 0.6.

Both look pretty good to me! I haven't done anything with geoshells yet.

edited January 2023

This a an US scene, ecology Oaks 4.  For this I only let it generate the trees since thats what I am testing on.  I zoomed in on the tree that has the geometry (and just FYI for those of us (me) who forgot, the geometry trees are under the US terrain not actually on the terrain.  I did the same steps as above, this is just one of the trees and I think with the others done it will be less noticable about the duplicates, you  can see the rotation of the trees in this example.

(The force is with me tonight, three successful attachments!)

TreewithsnowUS.jpg
    1323 x 922 - 404K
  • Still no luck on attachments. I just finally figured out how to link straight to the gallery, so at least I have a backup option for those days when I can't get attachments to work.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I used Let it Snow to get snow in Ultrascenery.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7820021/#Comment_7820021

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

@DoctorJellybeanThat is an amazing​ composition and rendering feat. KUDOS!.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Well, that was weird. I had managed to link to an image after a fair amount of testing, but the whole post disappeared. Not sure what's up with that. Anyway, here's a retry at sharing the modest image in question.

If this one disappears, I'll just give up on it.

Very nice Paula. Very serene, 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,826
    edited January 2023

Fishtales said:

That looks very nice. I have played with DA Let it Snow, but could not get good results

on the leaves of the trees, so I have to give up on that.

Need to find the other shader, that works properly with the cutout transparency on the leaves.

Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

Fishtales said:

That looks very nice. I have played with DA Let it Snow, but could not get good results

on the leaves of the trees, so I have to give up on that.

Need to find the other shader, that works properly with the cutout transparency on the leaves.

If trees have snow they wont have leaves unless they are evergreens like Firs.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    Not entirely true; I've seen snow on trees with leaves due to early snow.
  • I woke up to snow in Canada on 31 August, about 4" deep. While camping in a tent and my only vehicle was a motorcycle (yeah, it was cold). I was in the Yukon, but the deciduous trees all still had their leaves on.

Regards,

Richard

I have seen it too even here in Scotland but I don't look on that as 'Normal', whatever that means these days :)

An experiment with UltraScenery and https://www.daz3d.com/da-let-it-snow

edited January 2023

@Artini I have one too, with leaves :)

2023-01-17 21:13:57.423 Total Rendering Time: 36 minutes 11.60 seconds

Click on image for full size.

ultrascenery-snow-leaves-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited January 2023

Nice, @Fishtales

Below is my another trial, after further adjustments.

Post edited by Artini on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,745
    edited January 2023

If anyone is stocking up on UltraScenery products they are included in today's sale for 65% off if you buy one of the new items

Corrected. No buy-in needed. See @Fishtales note below. Thanks.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

I had quit trying to get this to work since no real solution was given, but maybe I'm the only one not able to see Arboretum Volume 2 when I go to--->Utilities---->Ultratrees - realistic tree system--->utilities--->ultra tree creator. I run the script but all I have shown is oak Genus: Quercus but no ultra tree birch. I installed via DIM, uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not show up, not even the bark shows up.

memcneil70 said:

If anyone is stocking up on UltraScenery products they are included in today's sale for 65% off if you buy one of the new items. 

You don't need a new item. I have them in my cart and they are 65%. 

Oh good, I need more coffee in the first hour of the morning.

AnEye4Art said:

I had quit trying to get this to work since no real solution was given, but maybe I'm the only one not able to see Arboretum Volume 2 when I go to--->Utilities---->Ultratrees - realistic tree system--->utilities--->ultra tree creator. I run the script but all I have shown is oak Genus: Quercus but no ultra tree birch. I installed via DIM, uninstalled and reinstalled but it does not show up, not even the bark shows up.

Can you link to the product? I tried searching the store but couldn't find an item 'Ultra Tree Creator'. I thought I owned every UltraScenery item. 

This discussion has been closed.