UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    The basic UltraScenery product comes with a good Sun-Sky render preset, especially tuned for UltraScenery. All you have to do is apply it. You don't need to hassle with buying a different product and changing opacity on it.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited December 2022

I agree Sun-Sky render preset works well, but I miss opportunity to use spotlights

and the other lights together with it.

Post edited by Artini on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 2022

Artini said:

I agree Sun-Sky render preset works well, but I miss opportunity to use spotlights

I use Dome and Scene with/without a map and use a distant light at a low luminance as a fill light.

Post edited by Fishtales on

Fishtales said:

Artini said:

I use Dome and Scene with/without a map and use a distant light at a low luminance as a fill light.

Thanks for the tip. I did not know about that.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited December 2022

MelanieL said:

You can also use the render setting for the basic HDRI and scene lights, but remove the HDRI image - I believe that then defaults to the sun/sky lighting, though I can't remember whether you get the full range of options of straight sun/sky. Worth a try though.

I did try it, and it worked as I had expected the scene to work originally. Thank you.

Having done it, I'm not sure that's the effect the image needed, but that is the effect I was trying to get.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • barbult said:

The basic UltraScenery product comes with a good Sun-Sky render preset, especially tuned for UltraScenery. All you have to do is apply it. You don't need to hassle with buying a different product and changing opacity on it.

Just to clarify, over on the other thread that I mentioned, it was asked whether this new lighting product (Iray Lighting Environment) was big enough to be used with Ultrascenery. By the time I got to that thread a couple of days ago, I found that others had already done some initial, interesting testing. So I grabbed it and did some testing of my own to add to that conversation. I have a with/without set of examples on that other thread with an intentionally dark USC scene.

As I've mentioned, I use Sun-Sky for virtually all of my USC scenes, and since almost none of the story I'm writing - and hoping to do art for - takes place outside at noon, I do a lot of experimentation with Sun-Sky. I have all of the USC/USXT render settings, and I have tinkered with almost every setting in there. I've tested - literally - every Sun-Sky render setting that came with any product I have, at least as of about a month ago before I got involved with setting up the new computer. (There are more than a few worthwhile ones out there, though you have to be mindful what optimization setting they have, since other product vendors don't care what crashes USC.) And any light that might be useful with Sun-Sky in an outdoor setting, I buy and try.

I created a different set of examples with and without the new light to post here, but wouldn't you know it, today I can't upload. Not on any browser or any computer I have.

edited January 2023

I applaud using things in ways they were not intended to be used, to see what you can make them do. I try that a lot myself. I just didn't want someone to think they had to buy additional products to adequately light UltraScenery.

Post edited by barbult on
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,063
    edited January 2023

Aha, not only did I get a notification, upload is working again, at least this minute. Yay! It would be good if they can get these weird problems worked out for good.

I think I'm guilty of blathering without context. Of course there's a perfectly good Sun-Sky render setting with USC.

Anyway, this is a slight revamping of an ancient USC/USXT scene I did - in fact, the first USC/USXT scene I ever put together. It came to mind to use as an illustration because the subject is in such dark shadows and it's an occasion when I used a pretty basic render setting. The "Stock" version is USC Late Morning alone and the "ILE" version is the original plus the default Iray Lighting Environment (with unwanted bits made invisible). Note how extensive the effect is - it even touches the vegetation across the lake on the USXT background.

Verdict: From initial testing I find that it seems heavy-handed for some dim or delicate lighting, but it's a keeper for me, for general purposes. There's times when this will come in handy.

Original: Rather dark. I could tinker with the rotation and probably get some more sun on this path if I wanted to take that approach, but maybe I wanted the sun oriented this way for other parts of the image.

With Iray Lighting Environment. Throws a little light onto quite a lot of the landscape.

GuyWithHorse-Stock.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 1M
    GuyWithHorse-ILE.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

now what has happened. USC has worked very well, and genersated fast with accelerator v 1.3 Just now it went back into slow mode as if accelerator was not there. Took 6 minutes and 11 seconds to generate a simple scene . Not sure what could have changed. 

• daveso said:

now what has happened. USC has worked very well, and genersated fast with accelerator v 1.3 Just now it went back into slow mode as if accelerator was not there. Took 6 minutes and 11 seconds to generate a simple scene . Not sure what could have changed. 

Is it listed on the main USC window?

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,438

DoctorJellybean said:

daveso said:

Is it listed on the main USC window?

accelerator? yes.  

• New Year and a new Computer! First Render with UltraScenery and Horse 3.

I can't upload my Picture in the Forum, but in my Gallery you can see it. 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,063
    edited January 2023

I just bought the Decimator... Great price I couldn't pass it up.  I'm thinking it will be useful for crowds of peeps.. etc... and I'm getting some pretty unusual shapes on figures.  We shall see.. ENJOY this sample... it's https://www.daz3d.com/twiggant-for-genesis-9 with Decimator at 10%... It takes away a lot of the detail but for a far away render I kinda like it :)

Ultra-Scenery is the background and terrain... Decimator at 25%... Since I use DOF a lot I figure the loss of poly's doesn't matter much. 

sorry... not getting notices and uploads acting up.. again.. I'll try again later/tomorrow... sorry.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5888571185561600#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1267916

Post edited by Llola Lane on

bombenleger58 said:

New Year and a new Computer! First Render with UltraScenery and Horse 3.

I can't upload my Picture in the Forum, but in my Gallery you can see it. 

Need a linkie to your gallery... I can't find'ja :(

bombenleger58 said:

My Gallery

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5582254050902016

Thanks .. found'ja... :)  You may want to add the linky to your signature.  That's the first place I look since we can't search the gallery.  

Llola Lane said:

I just bought the Decimator... Great price I couldn't pass it up.  I'm thinking it will be useful for crowds of peeps.. etc... and I'm getting some pretty unusual shapes on figures.  We shall see.. ENJOY this sample... it's https://www.daz3d.com/twiggant-for-genesis-9 with Decimator at 10%... It takes away a lot of the detail but for a far away render I kinda like it :)

Ultra-Scenery is the background and terrain... Decimator at 25%... Since I use DOF a lot I figure the loss of poly's doesn't matter much. 

sorry... not getting notices and uploads acting up.. again.. I'll try again later/tomorrow... sorry.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5888571185561600#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1267916

Looks great - have to try using Decimator.

By the way I was impressed, that I could use 2 Twiggants and https://www.daz3d.com/zeeona-for-genesis-9

in the same scene and my graphics card with 8 GB of VRAM could handle them without to dropping to CPU.

Could be that Genesis 9 character takes less of video memory - need to make more tests.

Artini said:

Llola Lane said:

Looks great - have to try using Decimator.

By the way I was impressed, that I could use 2 Twiggants and https://www.daz3d.com/zeeona-for-genesis-9

in the same scene and my graphics card with 8 GB of VRAM could handle them without to dropping to CPU.

Could be that Genesis 9 character takes less of video memory - need to make more tests.

Thanks... I'm wavin' to your alienzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (wavezzzzzzzzz)  lol

Thanks for the comments, @Llola Lane

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Im trying to use MateriaMaker to put snow on the trees in US.  I am unable to get it to work, it either tells me it cannot create geometry or crashes.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited January 2023

Daventaki said:

Im trying to use MateriaMaker to put snow on the trees in US.  I am unable to get it to work, it either tells me it cannot create geometry or crashes.

Compute-intensive task perhaps? Or cannot work on instances?

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

Daventaki said:

Did you mean Materia MeshMaker? If so, I looked it up and found that @Paula (marazhen) successfully used it here. Maybe you can find some help in the discussion or she will pop in and help you.

Mary

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2023

This has been the most time consuming scene\render I've done to date. The ecology is Britain, which I've customized using Ultra Scenery Toolbox - Volume II. We need ecologies for parks smiley. Please click to view in proper resolution.

Proms in the Park

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Wow, it is amazing that anyone could render something that complicated.

• barbult said:

Wow, it is amazing that anyone could render something that complicated.

Thank you. It took about a month setting it up.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Very cool and ambitious but where's the focal point? My eyes tried to find a place to rest but there's a lot to look at. A very busy and cool picture.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

That is wonderful. It reminds me of so many incredible orchrestras I've seen and never knew where to focus, because it is in itself the whole. I just love it. No one is more important than another. 

I applaude the creator and wizard - @DoctorJellybean!

• That is amazing, @DoctorJellybean

edited January 2023

Amazing and there are so many characters in the image. Well done, @DoctorJellybean

Post edited by Artini on
  • Really very clever, well done sir.

Regards,

Richard

This discussion has been closed.