Star Trek Builders Unite 6: The Undiscovered Thread

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Why are some models so picky? I had the obj file in Geometries, in my Star Trek folder- same place the objs for Bridge 1,8,10 are all located- and they work just fine. But NOOOOO, Bridge 3 just HAS to have IT'S obj in the VP folder before it'll behave,
    Now if I could only find the Excelsior textures which Vanishing Point no longer has available.The only free texture pack they have now is for the NX-01 bridge.

You can edit the figure res line in the cr2 to point to your star trek folder instead of to the vp folder should be two of'em

Chang figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:vp:bridge3.obj to this figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:Star Trek:bridge3.obj or however you've got your folder named

I have never tried that- wouldln't even know how to access that part of the cr2. I've got it working now, so I'm going to let it be. I've waged enough battles with Poser over the past year.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Giving another shot at the Kahn uniform... If the Klingon suit works I'll have Vanishing point rig this bad boy too. What do you guys & gals think?

Looking 'good' :-)

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    This is a meta-post.

Every time we re-start the thread, we have to copy the list of freebies over - and whoever started the thread has to keep the list up-to-date. I just started a freebie wiki (you may have seen the announcement elsewhere on the forum) which would be a lovely place to keep the list and let everybody update it. However, "everybody" includes "people who get their kicks vandalizing wikis"... so is this a good idea?

I'd be happy to host the Star Trek freebies list alongside the Doctor Who freebie list. I'm not going to steal it from this thread - I'm barely a lurker here, so that would be wrong - but I can ease the way of any regular poster here who wants to copy the list to the wiki.

(I know - if only I had started the wiki last week. Or if only the old thread lasted until this week...)

Well I'm going to say that NO I do not want the ST list copied over anywhere else just yet thank you.
    There are some problems in it and it'll take me awhile to check all what is there and [hopefully] get back corrected links for what appears to be missing.
    Copy/paste via notepad and/or via these typing boxes or whatever it is breaks up urls terribly.
    Also while I did get permission from some sites to post links to their site, I did not ask about wiki, and some are more than a little concerned about bandwidth abuse on their systems. Thank you for understanding.

I understand completely. If at some time in the future you decide you do want to post the list (and the folks who have concerns about the links change their minds), the offer will remain open.

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    robkelk said:
    This is a meta-post.

Every time we re-start the thread, we have to copy the list of freebies over - and whoever started the thread has to keep the list up-to-date. I just started a freebie wiki (you may have seen the announcement elsewhere on the forum) which would be a lovely place to keep the list and let everybody update it. However, "everybody" includes "people who get their kicks vandalizing wikis"... so is this a good idea?

I'd be happy to host the Star Trek freebies list alongside the Doctor Who freebie list. I'm not going to steal it from this thread - I'm barely a lurker here, so that would be wrong - but I can ease the way of any regular poster here who wants to copy the list to the wiki.

(I know - if only I had started the wiki last week. Or if only the old thread lasted until this week...)

Well I'm going to say that NO I do not want the ST list copied over anywhere else just yet thank you.
    There are some problems in it and it'll take me awhile to check all what is there and [hopefully] get back corrected links for what appears to be missing.
    Copy/paste via notepad and/or via these typing boxes or whatever it is breaks up urls terribly.
    Also while I did get permission from some sites to post links to their site, I did not ask about wiki, and some are more than a little concerned about bandwidth abuse on their systems. Thank you for understanding.

I understand completely. If at some time in the future you decide you do want to post the list (and the folks who have concerns about the links change their minds), the offer will remain open.

Thank you.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Why are some models so picky? I had the obj file in Geometries, in my Star Trek folder- same place the objs for Bridge 1,8,10 are all located- and they work just fine. But NOOOOO, Bridge 3 just HAS to have IT'S obj in the VP folder before it'll behave,
    Now if I could only find the Excelsior textures which Vanishing Point no longer has available.The only free texture pack they have now is for the NX-01 bridge.

You can edit the figure res line in the cr2 to point to your star trek folder instead of to the vp folder should be two of'em

Chang figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:vp:bridge3.obj to this figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:Star Trek:bridge3.obj or however you've got your folder named

I have never tried that- wouldln't even know how to access that part of the cr2. I've got it working now, so I'm going to let it be. I've waged enough battles with Poser over the past year.

I recall that you've had a large number of problems wish that I could have been able to help

Just so you know the CR2 file is nothing more than a text file and can be edited in your word processor program ( word; notepad;etc)

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

I recall that you've had a large number of problems wish that I could have been able to help

Just so you know the CR2 file is nothing more than a text file and can be edited in your word processor program ( word; notepad;etc)

I use Notepad++, which has a handy search and replace feature to check files for bad paths (using absolute paths that include things like the User folders or drive letters) and fix them for my computer in fairly quick batch replacements. Just search for .obj to find the geometry paths, .jpg for texture paths.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    rschulte said:
    mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know where I can find a good clean shot of the back monitorscreen aboard the Excelsior's bridge?

Found this which I can make into the image I want. But If anyone can point me toward a large version, that'd be better.

Separate issue: Is anyone else having trouble just getting on the site? It seems like it's taking forever to do anything.

Might try this....

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Excelsior_class

https://lcarsgfx.wordpress.com/tag/master-systems-display/

Thank you, the lcars link had just what I needed. I just have to change the name.

This page may or not be of interest. In FF "disable" Script [or most of the page won't show].
    In Japanese. Sulu JP

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 1969

[quote ) I use Notepad++, which has a handy search and replace feature to check files for bad paths (using absolute paths that include things like the User folders or drive letters) and fix them for my computer in fairly quick batch replacements. Just search for .obj to find the geometry paths, .jpg for texture paths.
    Same here

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

A few more WIP

WIP_9.jpg
    1409 x 882 - 63K
    Wip_10.jpg
    1409 x 882 - 53K
    WIP_8.jpg
    1409 x 882 - 43K
    WIP7.jpg
    1158 x 882 - 45K
  • rschulterschulte Posts: 484
    edited September 2014

mdbruffy said:
    rschulte said:
    mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know where I can find a good clean shot of the back monitorscreen aboard the Excelsior's bridge?

Found this which I can make into the image I want. But If anyone can point me toward a large version, that'd be better.

Separate issue: Is anyone else having trouble just getting on the site? It seems like it's taking forever to do anything.

Might try this....

Thank you, the lcars link had just what I needed. I just have to change the name.

This page may or not be of interest. In FF "disable" Script [or most of the page won't show].
    In Japanese. Sulu JP

Here's a better site for starship LCARs ....

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/lcars24.php

http://lcars24.com/starfleet.html

Post edited by rschulte on
    edited December 1969

rschulte said:
    mdbruffy said:
    rschulte said:
    mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

Might try this....

In Japanese. Sulu JP

Here's a better site for starship LCARs ....

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/lcars24.php

http://lcars24.com/starfleet.html

Unfortunately, those are all in the Next Generation style- not the TOS Movie era style.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Think this might be just what you're looking for.

http://keiichi-k1.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

Hope it helps.

edited December 1969

jerriecan said:
    Think this might be just what you're looking for.

http://keiichi-k1.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24

Hope it helps.

Just took a look. He's doing 1701-A specific screens- recreating the ones used in "The Voyage Home". I need Excelsior from at least Sulu's era since nothing exists after that.

• blutobluto Posts: 830
    edited December 1969

rschulte, really sweet textures you got going there any chance we can expect some tos style textures for the voyage continues?

edited December 1969

bluto said:
    rschulte, really sweet textures you got going there any chance we can expect some tos style textures for the voyage continues?

Thank you!

I'm working on those now (texture maps done, but mat files are inprogress)... here's a first render of the uniform... please note that some of the colors (Command and Medical uniforms) causes the badges very hard to see, I'm creating some badge props to go along ... and mat files to go with it. (ie TOS era badges: Command, Engineering/sec, Sciences/Medical)

I will also make a dress for V4 and a jacket set, the color for the jacket will be that used for the one in the "Cage."

A Medical uniform option.. and a Short sleeves option....

Russ

TOS_uTNA.png
    1184 x 898 - 894K
    TOS_uTNA2.png
    1184 x 898 - 933K
    edited December 1969

Well from one of all those links, one led to another and so forth ... and somewhere I found a beautiful image for the big brown board with TOS USS Enterprise on it ... so ty.

For the Excelsior ... okay I KNOW I made one of these before, apparently keeping it in a very safe place and after spending half a day looking for it, decided it would be better just to make another one. So I did. This one is a .cr2 file with a moveable lid. A tad of artistic license ... not into spilling tea all over the floor everytime the new helmsperson banks the ship.

Made to load and sized for Bridge 3 which is on sale, sale ending today if I recall correctly.

missing_suppin.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 387K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

A tad of artistic license ... not into spilling tea all over the floor everytime the new helmsperson banks the ship.

Or whenever the Klingons blow themselves up real good (again)... :ahhh:
    edited September 2014

Here's a STL model of the Star Trek:Renegades combadge...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:385744

Stl files can be imported into Hexagon and exported as a obj.

STRenegade.png
    1002 x 898 - 107K
    Post edited by rschulte on
    edited December 1969

rschulte said:

Is that consistently true that Hexagon can import the .stl files and export them out as .obj files?
    Why I ask is that I've noticed some .stl files for sale on ebay that may be of interest.

edited December 1969

A tad of artistic license ... not into spilling tea all over the floor everytime the new helmsperson banks the ship.

tehehehe ... yeah ...

And here's the link: DA Link

edited December 1969

rschulte said:

Is that consistently true that Hexagon can import the .stl files and export them out as .obj files?
    Why I ask is that I've noticed some .stl files for sale on ebay that may be of interest.

oop!! I meant to say Blender can import stl files.... I've been playing too much will Hexagon that I got hexagon on the brain...

edited December 1969

rschulte said:
    rschulte said:

oop!! I meant to say Blender can import stl files.... I've been playing too much will Hexagon that I got hexagon on the brain...

I was wondering ... and glad I asked ... now I will go and correct the post/link. It's starting a new category ;-)

edited September 2014

Okay friend,

Hexagon user ... knows how to open Blender ... import in the .stl file and then immediately export out the .obj file.

Opened it in Hexagon, ouch ... tris all over the place ... resized it and exported it out.

Render is In D/S ... it would be less work to simply make an .obj [in Hexagon] than fix this.

Is there some way to export out anything from Blender without getting a billion tris?

needs_work.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 116K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

Okay friend,

Hexagon user ... knows how to open Blender ... import in the .stl file and then immediately export out the .obj file.

Opened it in Hexagon, ouch ... tris all over the place ... resized it and exported it out.

Render is In D/S ... it would be less work to simply make an .obj [in Hexagon] than fix this.

Is there some way to export out anything from Blender without getting a billion tris?

Whenever I have problems with exporting to Obj, I export to 3ds, then use that for Poser. Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

rschulte said:
    Okay friend,

Whenever I have problems with exporting to Obj, I export to 3ds, then use that for Poser. Hope this helps.

That's an idea, thanks. Bryce can open 3ds too.

edited December 1969

tehehehe ... yeah ...

Here's the reason why redshirts are so big and strong and never spill their drinks. The "sippy" cup.

sippycup.png
    1002 x 898 - 1M
  • jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

USS T'Pol WIP Bigger image at my DA account

Uss_TPol.jpg
    1999 x 1132 - 421K
    edited December 1969

rschulte said:

tehehehe ... yeah ...

Here's the reason why redshirts are so big and strong and never spill their drinks. The "sippy" cup.

lol ...

edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    USS T'Pol WIP Bigger image at my DA account

Excellent job!!!

edited December 1969

bluto said:

almost ready to post....

This texture set follows the "Canon" Star Trek Original Series uniforms.

Shirt - Service uniforms
    Jacket, V4 Suit, M4 SS Shirt - Tactical uniforms for away teams, or heavy duty work wear.
    V4 Dress - Service uniform

Colors as per ST TOS:
    Gold - Command
    Red - Operations - Engineering, Security
    Blue - Science/Medical
    Teal - Medical (Starting with the Star Trek movies, Teal is being used for the Medical Division. It is here if you want to use it)
    Green - Captain Alternative
    Black - Command (from the new JJ Abrams Star Trek movies, Black is an alternative color).

A dedicated uniform for medical is provided.

The Jacket color was inspired by the field/combat jacket featured in the pilot movie "The Cage"

I'm also releasing a set of low-poly badges (including TOS era) ..

STO14_V4_Jacket.png
    1109 x 898 - 799K
    STO14_V4_Shirts.png
    1109 x 898 - 1M
    STO14_V4_Dress.png
    1109 x 898 - 1M
    STO14_M4_Shirts.png
    1109 x 898 - 974K
    STO14_M4_Jacket.png
    1109 x 898 - 653K
This discussion has been closed.