Star Trek Builders Unite 6: The Undiscovered Thread

Comments

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

In response to a question from the prior thread regarding Poser/Studio compatibility:

Unless things have changed in DS 4.5+, Advanced shaders for one will not work for the other, due to differing render engines and standards. Simple texture/bump/displacement will work, though displacement may need adjusting of limits due to differing zero-points.

External binary morphs may require editing of the main file to allow DS to read them. I do not recall the precise steps, and have lost track of most of RDuda's sets that I had, so I can't look up the edits I made. Need to find the archive files to replace what was lost in an HD crash.

Genesis and related items require DSON to use in Poser. More recent Poser rigging (Miki 4 and later?) doesn't work in Studio.

If none of those apply, and none of the Poser primitives were used (there is at least one freebie I have that was constructed entirely from the primitives), then Studio not supported probably means they didn't (or couldn't) test it.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

bwaomega said:
    In response to a question from the prior thread regarding Poser/Studio compatibility:

Unless things have changed in DS 4.5+, Advanced shaders for one will not work for the other, due to differing render engines and standards. Simple texture/bump/displacement will work, though displacement may need adjusting of limits due to differing zero-points.

External binary morphs may require editing of the main file to allow DS to read them. I do not recall the precise steps, and have lost track of most of RDuda's sets that I had, so I can't look up the edits I made. Need to find the archive files to replace what was lost in an HD crash.

Genesis and related items require DSON to use in Poser. More recent Poser rigging (Miki 4 and later?) doesn't work in Studio.

If none of those apply, and none of the Poser primitives were used (there is at least one freebie I have that was constructed entirely from the primitives), then Studio not supported probably means they didn't (or couldn't) test it.

Okay thanks.

The use of Poser primitives if not overdone can sometimes be guessed at and replaced. I do have Poser too so can load it and see what should be there. Shaders would be the usual situations, no 2 programs would agree on those ever.

I think it's the morphs part and/or lack of ability to show/hide various parts that would be more of concern, at least for me in D/S. Fixing up freeware is one thing, no like paying for stuff that needs fixing though.

I suspect wouldn't ... or couldn't fix something which I don't know about so, beautiful as the sets look, no sale.

btw for those making commercial sets ... there are/were a number of ST ships, bridges, etc being sold which are rather expensive [3 digits] ... some bearing resemblance but often in a different format to items being sold for a lot less money. I don't know if these items/vendors are connected or not but just a HU that such things are going on so those concerned can be aware. Not posting links to these.

• bwaomegabwaomega Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

bwaomega said:

Okay thanks.

The use of Poser primitives if not overdone can sometimes be guessed at and replaced. I do have Poser too so can load it and see what should be there. Shaders would be the usual situations, no 2 programs would agree on those ever.

I think it's the morphs part and/or lack of ability to show/hide various parts that would be more of concern, at least for me in D/S. Fixing up freeware is one thing, no like paying for stuff that needs fixing though.

I suspect wouldn't ... or couldn't fix something which I don't know about so, beautiful as the sets look, no sale.

btw for those making commercial sets ... there are/were a number of ST ships, bridges, etc being sold which are rather expensive [3 digits] ... some bearing resemblance but often in a different format to items being sold for a lot less money. I don't know if these items/vendors are connected or not but just a HU that such things are going on so those concerned can be aware. Not posting links to these.

Actually, if you have some version of Poser, the most you have to do to get the primitives to load in Studio is to add the directory in Studio, and maybe unzip the .obz

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

WIP Working on a Dunobulan Morph for V4.

Dunobulan.jpg
    853 x 942 - 38K
    edited December 1969

bwaomega said:
    ... edit ...

Actually, if you have some version of Poser, the most you have to do to get the primitives to load in Studio is to add the directory in Studio, and maybe unzip the .obz

That's an idea. Not sure if W7's program guard will let me but it's certainly worth a shot. ty

• rschulterschulte Posts: 484
    edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    WIP Working on a Dunobulan Morph for V4.

Nice morph!

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Worked up a Klingon Top for M4 in Hexagon, any one willing to help make it Pose clothes? If So I can share with group. (FREEBEE!)

KlingII.jpg
    693 x 795 - 107K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 1969

bwaomega said:
    ... edit ...

That's an idea. Not sure if W7's program guard will let me but it's certainly worth a shot. ty
    Open Studio and go to Preferences content library content directories and add your poser runtime
    Should work fine
    I have multiple Poser runtimes and can access all of them in Studio
    I'm running W7 Ultimate 64bit

• GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

For Rhuda, or for anyone else designing starship bridges, I thought that you might be interested in seeing one of the preliminary designs for the bridge of the Ares-class vessel from the upcoming "Star Trek: Axanar" film.....

star-trek-axanar-bridge.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 180K
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

For Rhuda, or for anyone else designing starship bridges, I thought that you might be interested in seeing one of the preliminary designs for the bridge of the Ares-class vessel from the upcoming "Star Trek: Axanar" film.....

That looks really good. Love to see a shot of the real thing. I am really looking forward to this movie. I've watched the "Prelude to Axanar" twice!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I'm getting some serious "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" vibes from that set. Here's hoping the uniforms don't look like pyjamas.
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

I'm getting some serious "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" vibes from that set. Here's hoping the uniforms don't look like pyjamas.

From what they showed in the Prelude, chances are they'll be fairly close to the one's we saw in "The Cage".

edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Worked up a Klingon Top for M4 in Hexagon, any one willing to help make it Pose clothes? If So I can share with group. (FREEBEE!)

I have a tutorial in my DA Gallery for legacy rigging in D/S4.x
    Briefly:
    All what's to be loaded at once has to be "one piece of mesh" ... and well enough tessellated to hold its shape when smoothings are applied.
    All Shading Domains and corresponding materials have to be over the areas for, and named precisely as required for each "bone".
    The geometry is then loaded in D/S and face groups are made to correspond for all them bones.
    THEN the shading domains can be resorted and named as desired.
    .obj exported
    Then brought back into D/S's figure/skeleton setup and "rigged".
    Best done with one of those blank M4 .cr2 files so no morphs are transferred over.
    ... and the other minor whatever with rigging in D/S these days, for legacy, any desired morphs need to be created to be included in with the final .cr2 created for redistribution 'cause there's no way to make inj/rem morphs. Ain't life grande.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:

Briefly:
    All what's to be loaded at once has to be "one piece of mesh" ... and well enough tessellated to hold its shape when smoothings are applied.
    All Shading Domains and corresponding materials have to be over the areas for, and named precisely as required for each "bone".
    The geometry is then loaded in D/S and face groups are made to correspond for all them bones.
    .obj exported
    Best done with one of those blank M4 .cr2 files so no morphs are transferred over.
    ... and the other minor whatever with rigging in D/S these days, for legacy, any desired morphs need to be created to be included in with the final .cr2 created for redistribution 'cause there's no way to make inj/rem morphs. Ain't life grande.

Good to know, but I use Poser :(
    But good news is John at Vanishing Point is going to help me out! Yea!!

edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Rduda said:

Briefly:
    .obj exported

Good to know, but I use Poser :(
    But good news is John at Vanishing Point is going to help me out! Yea!!

Okay :-)

• adriantullbergadriantullberg Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

Has anyone had a crack at Borg characters?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,283
    edited December 1969

Not Trek but maybe useful

Nasa Warp ship if anyone's interested it's modeled in lightwave artist goes by Tron

http://www.sharecg.com/v/77310/browse/5/3D-Model/NASA-Warp-Ship

get_image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 393K
    edited August 2014

Has anyone had a crack at Borg characters?

You might consider Vorg for M3 and V3....

http://www.poserdirect.com/free_scifi.html

Post edited by rschulte on
    edited December 1969

Nasa Warp ship if anyone's interested it's modeled in lightwave artist goes by Tron

Just tried it. It imports wrong in Poser 9. See the how the capsule's messed up? I tried taking it into Poseray and converting it to an obj- in Poseray, it looked okay. But the obj had this same problem- plus the rings imported in red.

NASA_warp_mess.jpg
    896 x 774 - 165K
    edited August 2014

Awesome! Thanks and added to the list.

edit to add: quick check with .obj via the latest edition of PoseRay and then again washed through Hexagon, all the mesh appears to show pretty good in D/S. It's normal for conversions to require a little work. D/S does have its own ways for reading .mtl files but that again is normal.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

edit to add: quick check with .obj via the latest edition of PoseRay and then again washed through Hexagon, all the mesh appears to show pretty good in D/S. It's normal for conversions to require a little work. D/S does have its own ways for reading .mtl files but that again is normal.

Glad someone got it to work.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited August 2014

And there's something up here. I can convert to .obj with PoseRay and import it perfectly in D|S3, but D|S4 messes up the two domes and the command module hull.

Once I had it in D|S OK, the only thing I needed to do was tweak the smoothing angle. A very nice model indeed. There's even a basic cockpit with seats, although it kind of floats behind the large cockpit window; maybe it wasn't made for this model. I like it, though.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited August 2014

mdbruffy said:

Yes ... if I can get it to work in Hexagon, "eventually" should have one working for Poser and any edition of D/S. I do have to finish the Klingon Bridge first and that is going to take awhile. It's coming along nicely, but it is slow going ... but hopefully worth the effect for the 5 or so people downloading my stuff. The bridge viewers are double paned so we can have a static space picture on the back with a moving ship or something on the front :-)

edit to add: temp more free plant samples including trees from xfrog.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Yes ... if I can get it to work in Hexagon, "eventually" should have one working for Poser and any edition of D/S. I do have to finish the Klingon Bridge first and that is going to take awhile. It's coming along nicely, but it is slow going ... but hopefully worth the effect for the 5 or so people downloading my stuff. The bridge viewers are double paned so we can have a static space picture on the back with a moving ship or something on the front :-)

edit to add: temp more free plant samples including trees from xfrog.

Got it bookmarked. I'm grabbing them in the morning.

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Love those Ares class ships in Axanar Working on a model based on the design

WIP2.jpg
    1409 x 883 - 45K
    WIP.jpg
    1409 x 883 - 45K
    edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:

Really nice job on this one!!

edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:

There's fly-by test footage of the Ares in the article I posted links to.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Axanar news- including a more detailed 3D render of the Ares Bridge:

Thanks, that link also has a better quality movie of the full "Prelude", with subtitles.

Hands up everyone who noticed the end of the opening credits...

"Narrated by John Gill".

This discussion has been closed.