Star Trek Builders Unite 6: The Undiscovered Thread

1444546474850»

Comments

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited May 2015

A great communicator model, but... where are those texture paths going?

"Could not find file: E:/e/TOS-Communicator/Runtime/Textures/"...

I unzipped the compressed .duf and hand-edited the texture paths, and it's still not right — I don't get the distinctive mottled appearance of the black case because no bump or displacement is applied, the flip-up grid isn't metallic, the silver is off, the coloured buttons are off. Is this the right .duf materials file? My render looks nothing like the promo pic.

Ok, matty sent me the fixed file and I uploaded it to the site -but it may take a day or 2 for the mods to approve it.

Happy rendering all, and be sure the check the readme for the basics of how I used iray shaders for the render. If anyone needs specifics, PM me and I'll put what I did out there.

Post edited by Ademnus on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2015

Ok, folks, my new communicator is ready to download!

Once again, a million thanks to Matty Manx!
    http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=224&p13_fileid=2244

"This file is currently offline or does not exist."

What Foundation 3D said.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=224&p13_fileid=2244

What Foundation 3D said.

All files on F3D have to be manually approved.

Give it 24 hours max.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    mdbruffy said:

What Foundation 3D said.

All files on F3D have to be manually approved.

Give it 24 hours max.

Okay. :-)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Also, the settings in the DUF file are NOT iray settings. See my pic above. They are just regular DS mat settings, nothing more

So... how do we get that just-like-the-promo-pic appearance outside of Iray? I don't use DIM, so I can't install the beta, I'm still on 4.6. Here's a test render I just did, with an Easy Environment to give the shiny bits something to reflect; something's way off with these materials settings, it looks nothing like any of the pics posted here.
    TOS-Comm-test.jpg
    590 x 1029 - 124K
    edited December 1969

I used the AoA ambient and spot lights plus an environment dome for reflections

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I used the AoA ambient and spot lights plus an environment dome for reflections

Okay, that first test was with the actual EE light set (plain D|S default lights), here's another using one of the AoA "distant" presets. I don't see anything that looks like the pic you posted, it all looks like plastic. I think I'll wait until the new files show up on Foundation3D and try again.
    TOS-Comm-test2.jpg
    483 x 1038 - 108K
    edited December 1969

It will not look like my render unless you have my exact setup which is not ideal for every scene its going to be used in.

As long as there is an environment to reflect and good lighting it will look good. Just not exact.

edited May 2015

Does anyone else have Bridge 8 from Vanishingpoint? I'm trying to create Next Gen textures for it. I have most of the colors set I think- the floor still needs tweaking- But my real problem is the rail. I'm using the template that they included, but it acts like it's not mapped- and the problem varies from bad to worse depending on the camera angle.
    I really need an answer for this one.The more I looked at the Sketch-up model I was going to use, the less satisfied I was. The top pic is the unrendered scene.

Bridge_rail_problem-_DAZ.jpg
    1999 x 1999 - 1M
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

best bet is to use a seamless texture and tile it.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    best bet is to use a seamless texture and tile it.

How would you do the wood grain then?

edited December 1969

To be honest, you wouldn't.

Looking at that template, the UV map was not unwrapped correctly to allow for what you really want to do.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    To be honest, you wouldn't.

Looking at that template, the UV map was not unwrapped correctly to allow for what you really want to do.

So it's either a solid brown or nothing. Okay then. Thanks.

edited December 1969

well, like i said, a seamless texture tiled could make it look nice.

Just did a quick search, try this one - 2048x2048 seamless - http://ipadair.2048x.org/wp-content/miniwallpaper/20121206/er2leamb0nf3.jpg

• Night-ForagerNight-Forager Posts: 123
    edited May 2015

mdbruffy said:
    Does anyone else have Bridge 8 from Vanishingpoint? I'm trying to create Next Gen textures for it. I have most of the colors set I think- the floor still needs tweaking- But my real problem is the rail. I'm using the template that they included, but it acts like it's not mapped- and the problem varies from bad to worse depending on the camera angle.
    I really need an answer for this one.The more I looked at the Sketch-up model I was going to use, the less satisfied I was. The top pic is the unrendered scene.

From the looks of it, I think the problem is that what you're seeing is a reflection of the ceiling.

Post edited by Night-Forager on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

From the looks of it, I think the problem is that what you're seeing is a reflection of the ceiling.

jnsessions, looks like you're right. The reflection node was set at 1. I turned it down to .4 and it still showed up so I disconnected the reflection node all together and it rendered ok. Just too bad, there can't be any good reflections on that polished rail.

Rail_take_3.jpg
    1269 x 787 - 519K
  • AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Also, the settings in the DUF file are NOT iray settings. See my pic above. They are just regular DS mat settings, nothing more

So... how do we get that just-like-the-promo-pic appearance outside of Iray? I don't use DIM, so I can't install the beta, I'm still on 4.6. Here's a test render I just did, with an Easy Environment to give the shiny bits something to reflect; something's way off with these materials settings, it looks nothing like any of the pics posted here.

I used iray default shaders to make the promo.

Use their leather shader on the black casing and turn the glossy reflectivity way up and the glossy roughness way down, and chain the main color from brown to black.

For all the rest of the silver parts of the communicator, use any of their brushed metals (NOT the reflective mirrored ones)

For the lid and wheels, use a mirrored gold and on only the big part of the lid that has the holes in it make sure you add the transparency map I included in "cutout opacity".

For the gems, I used a mirror finished metal and changed each one's main color to yellow, red and green respectively.

Do that, and render it in iray. Happy Trekking :)

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969
This discussion has been closed.