NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 5

Comments

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Predatron Cypress Trees (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-cypress-trees

After 3 hours, I'd say this is one to avoid if you have a choice of trees and not going for something regional. It definitely is not a quick tree.

Ouch. Keeping them on my wishlist though because I can't resist that Van Gogh look....

All of these trees look so good. I think the Silver Birch will be the first one I'll get, it's so pretty and also would work well for the renders I have in mind.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with silver birch as being my favorite although it is tough. I tend not to render trees too often since they are resource intensive for me, but the birch is very pretty.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2015

Pred Pack Bay Bushes (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-bay-bushes

All of these are still with progressive rendering btw. If you aren't using that, you'll get different results. Mine slows down quite a bit at the end.
    40% 18 seconds
    46% 30 seconds
    56% 1 minute
    65% 2 minutes
    70% 3 minutes
    74% 4 minutes
    76% 6 minutes
    79% 7 minutes
    84% 10 minutes
    90% 15 minutes
    96% 20 minutes
    done 22 minutes 38 seconds

Full bush rendering now. This closeup looks so darned real!

baybush2.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 711K
    baybush.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2015

Pred Pack Grass One (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-grass-one

There's different lengths of grass. Shown are long and short.
    You also get various stages of dried up grass- where it is starting to go dormant, then the winter so-sad grass. :)

So-sad grass rendering now.
    EDIT: For people who don't own this, you also get a circular section, different grass tufts, etc. You don't have to settle for square.

grassOne4.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 562K
    grassOne3.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 614K
    grassOne2.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 535K
    grassOne.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 633K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Happy birthday Faveral! Is this a personal birthday or the store's birthday?

I'm picking up Ironclads and Western Coaches, which are 2 of the few things I don't own. In case anyone didn't get the email or see it, the store is 65% off. Wonderful bargains!

edited January 2015

Pred Pack- Hazel Coppice. (Predatron)

http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-hazel-coppice

A very pretty tree. My first impression was that the leaves were the same as the cherry trees, but these have several segments then a slightly sharp bend leading to the next segment. But they are very close. The trunk, of course, is very different.

And in case you want this thread to be educational (lol) here's coppicing from Wikipedia:

"Coppicing is an English term for a traditional method of woodland management which takes advantage of the fact that many trees make new growth from the stump or roots if cut down. In a coppiced wood, young tree stems are repeatedly cut down to near ground level. In subsequent growth years, many new shoots will emerge, and, after a number of years the coppiced tree, or stool, is ready to be harvested, and the cycle begins again.

Many forestry practices worldwide involve cutting and regrowth, and coppicing has been of significance in many parts of lowland temperate Europe. The widespread and long-term practice of coppicing as a landscape-scale industry is something that remains of special importance in lowland England."

72% at 1 minute 15 seconds
    92% at 5 minutes 30 seconds
    100% at 8 minutes 4 seconds. Nice!

hazel_coppice2.jpg
    1527 x 1400 - 1M
    hazel_coppice.jpg
    1200 x 933 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2015

Pred Pack: Olive Trees (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-olive-trees

This is for the first one- the full tree. Same sized render as the previous tree. 1547 x 1400. I had to turn the lighting down SO low- the bark was being completely washed out. Want to use the same lighting to compare everything, so didn't mess with Diffuse settings in surfaces. The lights went from approximately 40-50 percents down to 16's and 20's. So with this tree, start with very low lighting.

54% 20 seconds
    62% 30 seconds
    70% 1 minute
    77% 1 minute 45 seconds
    80% 2 minutes
    84% 2 minutes 30 seconds
    86% 3 minutes 30 seconds
    90% 4 minutes 40 seconds
    93% 5 minutes 30 seconds
    95% 6 minutes 30 seconds
    Done 7 minutes 50 seconds

EDIT: Don't particularly like that weird bend down near the base of the trunk.
    EDIT: Those olives up close look squared off or something- there's no leaves that seem to be blocking any part of the view?

olive_tree2.jpg
    1527 x 1400 - 1M
    olive_tree.jpg
    1527 x 1400 - 1012K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

So hard to choose between all these trees. I've been planning to get more of them but they all look great.... so much choice!

It would be nice to have the olive trees to pair up with Pred's Mediterranean sets (I have the Willow Spring villa and also The Monastery which has the same kind of look).

The coppice is a nice traditional English look which is something I can definitely use. Honestly, though, I'm sure I could find a reason to put any of these trees to good use. :)

edited December 1969

I'm only guessing, but I think the olive trees might be hard to put in a scene with other vegetation without some light tweaking, and it may itself be harder to light. The trunk is really light but the leaves are very olive drab. I do like the Mediterranean look of them though. :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the tree renders, Novica - I don't have any of those (yet) but I have several of his plants and the grass - I drew Tall Weeds in RRRR last week (it comes with it's own grass patches too).

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Thanks for all the tree renders, Novica - I don't have any of those (yet) but I have several of his plants and the grass - I drew Tall Weeds in RRRR last week (it comes with it's own grass patches too).

Lucky you- those will be fun to use and integrate into a scene (unless you drew all indoor stuff, which doesn't really matter anyway, right?)

I'm working my way down my list in Products under Predatron and Pred, so I should get to the weeds eventually. I think I have them, can't check as I am rendering the Palm trees. (Something I don't have to look up information on, lol.)

Won't be rendering much tomorrow as swamped with other things, but will try for tomorrow evening.

Pred Pack Palm Trees (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-palm-trees

Palm Tree *1st render)
    5 minutes 91%
    5 minutes 48 seconds 94%
    6 minutes 35 seconds 98%
    7 minutes 48 seconds Done

So very quick, and quite lovely and easy to light. Did you notice that section on our left where the leaves curving over made a row of triangles? Cool :)

palm_2.jpg
    800 x 1400 - 371K
    palm.jpg
    1527 x 1400 - 1M
    edited January 2015

Pred Pack Rose Bushes (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-rose-bushes

Really pretty colors!

1 minute 10 seconds 80%
    1 minute 30 seconds 85%
    2 minutes 87%
    2 minutes 45 seconds 90%
    3 minutes 15 seconds 95%
    3 minutes 45 seconds 98%
    Done in under 4 minutes

Be sure and go into the Studio CF if you are using Products, to get the materials. I kept trying the mc6 and they didn't work. It's the dsa's. I was rushing and still draw a blank sometimes with files- I admit it!

Pink is rendering now, I'm running errands, will post in an hour or two.

roses3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 641K
    roses2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 725K
    roses.jpg
    893 x 987 - 455K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited January 2015

Invited Guest Contributor

Used :
    Roll and Ball http://www.daz3d.com/roll-and-ball
    Growing Up for Genesis2 Female(s) and V6 http://www.daz3d.com/growing-up-for-genesis2-female-s-v6
    Thian Hair for Genesis and Genesis 2 Female(s) http://www.daz3d.com/thian-hair-for-genesis-2-female-s

Skating.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 178K
    Post edited by Sasje on
    edited December 1969

That is so cute!
    I have never understood that ball thing though. :)
    Thian Hair has really nice flow. I like that a lot. Can feel the breeziness in it.

edited January 2015

Tall Weeds (Predatron)

1 minute 50 seconds 83%
    2 minutes 45 seconds 87%
    3 minutes 50 seconds DONE

More difficult to render dark and white weeds together, so had to settle for a slightly darker rust weed. These are quite fun though!

Large renders. Click to enlarge.

tall_weeds3.jpg
    900 x 900 - 799K
    tall_weeds2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 679K
    tall_weeds.jpg
    900 x 900 - 756K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Pred Pack: Tree Saplings (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-tree-saplings

This one comes with patches of grass. There are a lot of options not shown, but I did include three together so you could see the sizes. These also render very quickly.

tree_saplings3.jpg
    700 x 900 - 232K
    tree_saplings2.jpg
    700 x 900 - 286K
    tree_saplings.jpg
    900 x 900 - 685K
    edited December 1969

OT-
    With today's high tech world, there's certainly pros and cons. One big pro-look at what we can do on our computers! Those of us with kids want to give them the opportunity to explore. Kids have to want to do that though- they need self confidence.

That is very hard to have when kids are bullied and made fun of- the self confidence erodes. Fortunately, the child in question has an artistic parent who helps them build their self esteem back up through art. But it's hard. And can you imagine how hard it is for the parents- they had discovered their child had special needs, and instead of showing compassion and understanding, other kids were cruel to her.

But instead of letting bullies win, the parents fought back. They are getting a computer for their daughter Melody as she has really taken to 3D art. She wants to be a professional artist when she grows up- and art is helping her blossom.

One of the parents is a regular in the forums, and I have the information about this situation if anyone is interested in helping make a birthday next month very special. Please PM me (or if you have my email, feel free to contact me directly.) Bullies beware when artists pull together!

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Cathie, Wow ! your renders are lookin fabulous !!! Bay bush renders looks freakin realistic. Thought it was a photograph, when I first viewed. Luv the look of the palm trees. Keep up the great renders/reviews.

edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Hi Cathie, Wow ! your renders are lookin fabulous !!! Bay bush renders looks freakin realistic. Thought it was a photograph, when I first viewed. Luv the look of the palm trees. Keep up the great renders/reviews.

Thank you very much!
    I thought that very same thing when I saw the Bay Bushes. I think for closeups of characters, that will be a great choice for backgrounds. :)

edited January 2015

Pred Pack Bushes (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-bushes

The bushes have different leaf shapes, not just colors. I'm not showing all the bushes, only a small sample.
    I'm not sure I like the gold ones- some seem so flat that sections appear pancaked. However, there is enough variety in the leaves of the various bushes that I still think you'd like the pack. Beautiful color choices.

The first one, I put two different colored ones next to each other- it would be interesting to mingle them in a change of seasons scene, where the leaves are starting to turn from green to the autumn hues.

EDIT: BTW, both the Bushes and Bushes II render fairly quickly, about 5 minutes.

bushes5.jpg
    700 x 400 - 302K
    bushes4.jpg
    700 x 400 - 285K
    bushes3.jpg
    700 x 400 - 325K
    bushes.jpg
    700 x 400 - 289K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Pred Pack Bushes II (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-bushes-ii

Definitely have quite a different offering in the two different Bush products. The wood looks really nice too on the bare bush.

bush2no4.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 1007K
    bush2no3.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 439K
    bush2no2.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 1M
    bush2no1.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 783K
    edited December 1969

Pred Pack- Ornamental Trees (Predatron)
    http://www.daz3d.com/pred-pack-ornamental-trees

You have a choice of containers and can put the lemon and orange trees in either one. There is also a Bay tree (think leaves, no fruit.)

orntree4.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 912K
    orntree3.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 433K
    orntree2.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 342K
    orntree.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 323K
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

One can never have too many trees, bushes and othe vegetation - either wild or 'tamed'. Thanks for showing these, they are very nice. Even the one with slightly flat lookign leaves. Nothing a touch ot DoF won't fix. After all, plats often end up being used as background fillers. At least, with me.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

mori_mann said:
    One can never have too many trees, bushes and the vegetation - either wild or 'tamed'. Thanks for showing these, they are very nice. Even the one with slightly flat looking leaves. Nothing a touch of DoF won't fix. After all, plants often end up being used as background fillers. At least, with me.
    Agreed, absolutely something to add to the "I will buy" list. Despite the pleasant surprise I had this morning, I'm really liking the sets. Thanks Novica and Predatron.

I do need to do something about the ten-thousand year old plants, lol. :) (SGA ref)

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited January 2015

I usually try to refrain from self indulgence, tho Fisty did give quite a few pointers when making one of the Promos for the product. And the Product is not of my making, and thus, not self indulging to say, lol.

The "AElflaed's Fancy - Shaders for DS and Poser" is an incredible set of shaders. It even includes some leather to add to the 'Phoebe Fantasy Shaders".
    http://www.daz3d.com/aelflaed-s-fancy-shaders-for-ds-and-poser
    I found out about the release at about noon local time (EST), in an e-mail for today's Daz3d sales, Before the coffee pot had finished making my first cup of coffee for the day, lol. (Attached screen-cap).

I've uploaded a larger version of the render at my Deviant Art page, and a few other examples from the testing in my 'Daz Studio discoveries' Thread.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/749208/

I could go on and on over how good I think the shaders look, tho the renders speak for themselves. Fisty did a chin-doping job on these. :-)

AlfE_Screencap1_20150117_002crop1.png
    800 x 943 - 511K
    Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

I'm sort of in the 'waiting for a coupon' mode. We haven't had one in a while and my cart is loaded- just know that the moment I buy something there will be a sale of some sort. =-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Warning for Poser users: Predatron seems to update his plants with DazStudio and PoserCF only files, even when they had a Poser core installer before:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51065/

edited December 1969

I've uploaded a larger version of the render at my Deviant Art page, and a few other examples from the testing in my 'Daz Studio discoveries' Thread.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/749208/

I could go on and on over how good I think the shaders look, tho the renders speak for themselves. Fisty did a chin-doping job on these. :-)

I know I said this in your own thread but that's a gorgeous render, congratulations on being picked for the mailing ZDG! I can't wait to get and try these new shaders from Fisty, they do look amazing. Stylish patterns, loads of choice... and a merchant resource too. What's not to love? Your render showed them off beautifully.

edited December 1969

Well, I sure am glad I didn't buy things for four days to get a discount on a bundle of unknown items. There's only 2 items in the bundle, and can be bought for $9.78 each (a 51% discount.) They are fixing the bundle price (hopefully) because it's more than the two items separately. Or raising the individual prices, maybe they are only 30% off but right now 51%. Should get sorted out soon.

I thought for sure there would be characters in the bundle, in addition to clothes.

edited December 1969

Be aware that right now (3pm central) several of us are having trouble with the checkout. It's not going through with paypal, and one person is having trouble even with credit cards. With paypal, it says can't access gateway. The orders are NOT going through. I have already reported it to the moderators. :)

I'm picking up Rons Sci Fi Custom Shapes Bundle, Ron's Ink, Whimsical Border Brushes and #2. That is, if the order goes through.

We're totally repainting the interior of our home, so that's why I am not online much this week. :)

This discussion has been closed.