Why does DAZ Studio customers like Conforming Cloths better then Dynamic Cloths ?

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

What I would really like from some clothing system is the ability to set anchors where objects are embedded, to really have consistent shaped buttons (or other things).

At this point, I'm inclined to simply hide buttons and place button objects at the appropriate spots.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324

I know that VirtualWorldDynamics (VWD) that's available for Poser has this. I also know he's working on getting it to work with Daz Studio, but I don't know his ETA for it.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Yup the Poser version (Full and Lite) are now available at 'Rosity.  So hopefully the DS version isn't too far away! 

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    MacSavers said:

I've been using the DynCreator scripts that I bought at Renderosity to help, but it takes some time to 'glue' certain portions of the mesh. You also can't use a conforming piece for DynCreator.

The lack of conforming + dynamic hybrid is indeed an issue. After going at it for hours over 2 days, I finally made a glue formula strong enough for animation. 

The clue lies in friction and weight settings... 

It still won't be strong enough to unify non-unimesh hair pieces or superglue buttons and pockets onto clothing, but at least now long flapping hair can be done without slipping off.

I save the glue as a reusable Fabric Preset.

edited August 2016
    RAMWolff said:

Yup the Poser version (Full and Lite) are now available at 'Rosity.  So hopefully the DS version isn't too far away! 

Heard the news, DS version is about to be launched over this weekend. 

VWD is also currently at a lower promo price.

Post edited by Mythmaker on

Now I don't need the Poser version as a base, correct?  So just the DS version is all inclusive?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I still think you need to have the plugin that Poser is using too....the DS thing is just a bridge to that plugin I believe. So we'll need both.

Laurie

My understanding is VWD is by default is 'for Poser'. 

A DS bridge (a separate addon) will make VWD work with DS. A Carrara bridge will make VWD work with Carrara. 

And yes, we'll need to get both VWD and the DS bridge, sold separately.

The DS bridge is said to be ready for sale, but still not uploaded to the store as of the moment of this post.

I will buy every single dynamic addons to Daz Studio, soft or rigid! Can't wait to play with these new toys!

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324

The only caveat on VWD is that it's currently only available for Windows. There's no way to make it work on the Mac. :-(

OK, thanks.  I do have Poser Pro 11 so it's all good.  Just hope the bridge isn't another $60.00 lol 

Downloading Biscuit's tutorials. Navigation looks easy enough! 

• RAMWolff said:

OK, thanks.  I do have Poser Pro 11 so it's all good.  Just hope the bridge isn't another $60.00 lol 

Downloading Biscuit's tutorials. Navigation looks easy enough! 

In other words, to make use of the VWD capabilities I would need to have Poser? That sucks, as I don't plan to support Poser with content I make. sad

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    RAMWolff said:

In other words, to make use of the VWD capabilities I would need to have Poser? That sucks, as I don't plan to support Poser with content I make. sad

No. You need additionally the bridge tool from philemo. He published his bridge for Carrara a few months ago and soon there will be a bridge for DS.

• aspin said:
    RAMWolff said:

No. You need additionally the bridge tool from philemo. He published his bridge for Carrara a few months ago and soon there will be a bridge for DS.

Okay; I'll look at it then.

aspin said:
    You need additionally the bridge tool from philemo. He published his bridge for Carrara a few months ago and soon there will be a bridge for DS.

Daz bridge is ready!! VWD is now linked to Daz Studio!!

Looking forward to playing with serious dynamic simulation in Daz Studio!!! Yeeepeeee  laughlaughlaugh

I have it wishlisted, since the base price + bridge... yeah, that's a lot.

I'm VERY curious to see how it works in Daz, do show!

Base price + bridge is less than 20% of $550 Marvelous Designer, and 1% of ($10000?) Optitex pro version! That's how I look at it lol 

I will mark around and show some simulation results...soon!

edited August 2016

That's awesome! I've got them wishlisted. Will have to wait until next month tho ;). After that I'll be picking Biscuits' brains for tips and tricks :P

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

Do pick up both VWD, and the DAZ Studio Bridge for VWD.  You won't be disappointed...

For those looking for examples of how it works in Studio, just search my posts regarding cloth simulation.  I have shown examples, and finished NPR renders utilizing VWD DS Bridge for the cloth and hair draping.

I love VWD more than Marvelous Designer now, though I will still use MD for cloth creation.  But, I have abandoned my convoluted posing/draping workflow in MD in favor of the easy, all in-house workflow in DS with VWD.

Also to note for content creators, it is a viable way to get clothing morphs into clothing products as well.

DaremoK3 said:

Also to note for content creators, it is a viable way to get clothing morphs into clothing products as well.

Used to use Poser's cloth room for that ;). But even with the learning curve, VWD looks way more useful than that :).

Laurie

edited August 2016
    DaremoK3 said:

I love VWD more than Marvelous Designer now, though I will still use MD for cloth creation.  But, I have abandoned my convoluted posing/draping workflow in MD in favor of the easy, all in-house workflow in DS with VWD.

Not having to import export MDDs must be a HUGE relief. I don't know how you guys deal with that kind of i/o workflow!

VWD is indeed more flexible and forgiving than MD. VWD is designed specifically to deal with all sorts of disjointed, uneven-poly hair/ cloth products made for still renders. 

Draping for a single frame is very very very easy. Morphs are atuo-generated. Quads are kept. VWD is definitely now part of conforming clothing rigging workflow, in the "clothify' step before turning them into conforming figures.

The challenge for most with VWD is probably getting pass the initial shock of buttons galore and (unconventional) terminology. Me, I love buttons. lol 

With VWD (and other dynamic clothing plugins on the way) I foresee Daz Studio becoming the new center of fabric simulation for animation use. 

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

Probably the reason dynamic clothes aren't more common is that the license software for Optitex to create clothes is horribly horribly expensive.  Its used to design clothes for the fashion industry.

On the other hand... All Daz Conforming clothes can be converted painlessly into dynamics and used with Optitex using the Dyncreator at Renderosity.  The script is cheap, and works like a charm.  Its also a viable way to adapt clothes to different figures.  (As opposed to autofit.)   The only down side is that some clothes will need to be 'welded' in Hexagon.

Personally I prefer conforming and morphing clothes because they are easier to work with than dynamics.  Dynamic clothes are pretty fiddly.  So I guess it just matters what kind of image you're trying to produce.  Auto fit still has a lot of issues with some morphs.  (The thing that annoys me is exploding bubblgum textures in the crotch.  I don't think Daz will ever try to make any of this work better as it does not support their business model of selling more clothes.)

edited September 2016

I'm not partial to either dynamic/conforming, I use both in animation-oriented workflow. 

I continue to hope for HYBRID conforming-dynamic clothing, which I can have in Poser and iClone. Sometimes I just want to add a little flappy skirt edge or hair end while retaining the rest. Still not possible, as both VWD and dyncreator "prop-pify" the figures.

Side note: People haven't talked much about Dynamic Clothing Control's Garment/ Fabric Setting Presets or asset. I've been using them more and more since Dyncreator (I wouldn't care about the full version of Optitex control if not for Dyncreator)

Anyway...

I think Daz needs dynamic solutions in every department (not just clothing) for many reasons...mainly, market expansion.

Dynamic clothing and hair will open up a new market (or excuse) to sell new products tailored specifically for that usage. wink

To be fair though, it's technically a necessity, so not "excuses". When the new dynamic clothing options arrive, and curious ones check them out and learn the basics, they will learn more about exciting things like topology density whatnot, how so many things matter a great deal in soft simulations.

Dynamic hair for stills is one thing. Dynamic hair for animation another. Dynamic hair for usability in game engines, another thing. 

Dynamic dress for solver A will not work so well with solver B! Haha so many new market opprtunities! lol

To "selling more clothes"... Indeed, Daz Studio is to me, primarily a toy clothing department store, with some toy building/ props/ paints on the side. The last time I check, they've only covered barely 15% of mainstream clothing style. It takes time to move on from skins to skimps to same old bodycons to "fashion shows". And then, eventually, Hollywood wardrobe supplier. Diversity explosion. That's when the real money and fun is. Maybe then I'll join in..I like big market and economy of scale lol.

Meanwhile a new store trend could well be, vendors selling new catwalk friendly dress clothing with nice wrinkled set1/2/3, or dynamic fabric settings for different length/cutting, instead of tedious morphs for specific frozen limited poses. For the staple demographic, some Victioria secret wings that flaps and bounces, you know. Which calls for more skillful and professional vendors. A good and pro growth thing!

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Does VWD come with a manual? And if so, is the English version eaiser to decipher than the ad-copy?

Gotta say... neither the promos nor the ad-copy are particularly inspiring for the pricetag.

VWD is extremely confusing and nonintuitive to use.

That said, so is Optitex, but VWD produces (IMO) better results, faster. I have had no 'omg the clothes are dropping through this figure dang it' results with VWD.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

VWD is extremely confusing and nonintuitive to use.

That said, so is Optitex, but VWD produces (IMO) better results, faster. I have had no 'omg the clothes are dropping through this figure dang it' results with VWD.

I don't find Optitex confusing. Sometimes difficult, but not confusing. I do wish it was faster, because sometimes getting the result you wants takes trial and error and moving prop handles around.

You didn't answer the question: does it have a manual and is it decipherable?

There is a PDF but it's fairly basic. Among other things, it's not clear what a lot of values represent or do, or how to get results you want, other than 'try a bunch of stuff and see what happens.'

That said, _I've_ found it decipherable, but then again I've managed to wrangle with MDL despite pretty much zero useful documentation and a highly flawed ui.

But... if you found Optitex doable, then I would assume VWD would be no harder. I picked it up way faster, and, again, I've gotten more frequently useful results.

Anyone know of a way to pin the top verts with a fader of say a pair of pants to the figure so they don't drop off of it?  That would be useful info for VWD! 

Gracias!

• RAMWolff said:

Anyone know of a way to pin the top verts with a fader of say a pair of pants to the figure so they don't drop off of it?  That would be useful info for VWD! 

Gracias!

1. Vertices tools, pick a Surface group from the 'Selection by material' drop down, or manually select verts using Free edges/ V/ L/ INV.

(V is ZBrush's backface mask equivalent, L is a lasso/marquee switch)

2. Vertices groups, Nail to collision. Voila.

I actually use this nailing function in hair sim as the "scalp glue". lol. 

edited September 2016

I don't find Optitex confusing. Sometimes difficult, but not confusing. I do wish it was faster, because sometimes getting the result you wants takes trial and error and moving prop handles around.

You didn't answer the question: does it have a manual and is it decipherable?

Optitex is quite straight forward. Terminology choice is also more literal, Stretch increase means more stretch and so on.

VWD's current documentation IMO is not basic at all. The 58 page thick illustrated PDF is very indepth, but poorly worded, plenty of crucial info are lost in translation. Still, it is 90% decipherable, at least for me. But this is subjective...

Some context...

VWD is made by a Poser user to fix Poser dynamic soft sim issues that he's not happy with. Poser dynamic soft is already quite awesome. This guy is specific and is quality conscious, no doubt.

Those with cloth sim experience across many similar apps, will appreciate the attention to details. Those with some Poser context may even find useful clues from Poser usage examples. 

This Poser beginning, unfortunatley, also means TMI for non-Poserites,(a major noob issue I survived in my first years in DS lol). Most Daz-only users with very little cloth sim experience will probably face initial shock of data and UI clutter overload, before they get to the "direct manipulation" fun starts, lol.

Good news is VWD dev has humbly acknowledged these issues and a Daz-specific docu in the works.

DS seasoned modelers riggers skinners, however should have no problem I reckon...

Clothing makers, hobbyist or merchants - for Daz or Poser or any other external tools - will also appreciate VWD's optional SubD and various rigidification options. Selective pinning/glueing too...something that Optitex full plugin can do only with advanced tweaks.

The direct manipulation is what sold VWD to me!

We're talking interactive pulling tugging at QUAD soft cloth in REALTIME hello! Marvelous Designer still can't do that!

The tool is still an infant, the dev is a one man/ two men show, and still being improved. So calibrate expectation accordingly. Me, I adopt a pragmatic Patreon/ Kickstarter attitude with small indies....

smiley

Cloth sim is an advanced area of CG, here or Dreamworks studio. So expect some learning curve regardless.. The pay off, its worth it though. Can't go back to lumpy doughy dresses once you've seen the real thing! laugh

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

The 58 page manual is very good IMHO, but if you have little to no experience of cloth sims then it might be a bit baffling. I'd say the best thing is to just follow the tutorials, and do them more than once.