Ultratree system questions

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,944
    edited November 2019

Beautiful trees. Howie Farkes is a real master. Money well spent.

Below is a quick iray render of Bur Oak trees.

BurOak01pic01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 689K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    scorpio said:

I did decide to keep the trees as they were the only ones I could get to look right for this image

That's a great image

• barbult said:
    SuSoleil said:

Screenshot

Same problem here. Most of the pics are exclamation points and the props show up as primitives. Have reinstalled multiple times. Submitting a help request.

Did you install with Daz Connect inside Daz Studio? That doesn't work for this product. It works correctly if installed with DIM. The metadata is wrong, though, even with DIM. I submitted a ticket about that, but there has been no resolution.

I am still expriencing the same as in the above pic even though I've tried install with Daz connect and through DIM. Great product, though. Worth the wait for a fix.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,250
    barbult said:
    SuSoleil said:

Screenshot

Same problem here. Most of the pics are exclamation points and the props show up as primitives. Have reinstalled multiple times. Submitting a help request.

Did you install with Daz Connect inside Daz Studio? That doesn't work for this product. It works correctly if installed with DIM. The metadata is wrong, though, even with DIM. I submitted a ticket about that, but there has been no resolution.

I am still expriencing the same as in the above pic even though I've tried install with Daz connect and through DIM. Great product, though. Worth the wait for a fix.

If you installed with both Daz Connect and DIM, Daz Studio will always use the DIM version. Be sure to uninstall the Daz Connect version, if you want to test whether it works with DIM installation.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Szark said:

Well if my simple Q can't be anawsered by the vendor then I shall put my money elsewhere. Thx

As long as I've been using the forums, I've seen people complain that email notices just stopped working on bookmarked threads. It could be as simple as that. I didn't see a Commercial thread for this product in the first two pages, so I'm thinking it might work to get his attention by including @HowieFarkes in the post.

Howie has always been responsive in the past. I really doubt he is intentionally ignoring your questions.

Szark said:

I am on the fence a little with this set though I do lust over the promos. :) anyhoo one q comes to mind how many leaf textures are there for one species in the same colour i;e; green, yellow etc. I suppose what really matters is how many different leaves are used as the source of the scatter. Can we use more or less or is it fixed. Again love this idea and right in my buy zone. 

edited November 2019

Plushie and Ultratree

aLittleDingy.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 681K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Szark said:

I am on the fence a little with this set though I do lust over the promos. :) anyhoo one q comes to mind how many leaf textures are there for one species in the same colour i;e; green, yellow etc. I suppose what really matters is how many different leaves are used as the source of the scatter. Can we use more or less or is it fixed. Again love this idea and right in my buy zone. 

I'm not quite sure what the question here is but I'll have a go at answering. For each foliage species there are usually 4 different branchlet models - each branchlet model (or twig) with have between 5 and a dozen leaves on it. Each species comes with 3 or 4 color variations. The script for creating the instances also allows you alter the density of the branchlets, their scale, add some rotation variation, and their droop.

• As for the metadata problems... that's not something that I can fix so we must all hope that Daz can solve it soon.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,487

is this a pretty resource heavy tree set? 

the only real bummer is i didnt buy it at 30% off, and now there is no discount with the presentation of the new bundle. If I manipulate the sales a bit I can get it down to 28% ... maybe close enough laugh i have a vouple hours to contemplate the purchase.  ... both products. 

• daveso said:

The trees are between 50,000 and 400,000 polygons each - then the branchlets are added but they are mostly only a few hundred polygons but can be instanced up to 30,000 times per tree. So you don't really want to go making a whole forest of them.

daveso said:

The trees are between 50,000 and 400,000 polygons each - then the branchlets are added but they are mostly only a few hundred polygons but can be instanced up to 30,000 times per tree. So you don't really want to go making a whole forest of them.

laugh thanks ... they look really nice. wow nice. 

edited November 2019
    daveso said:
    daveso said:

laugh thanks ... they look really nice. wow nice. 

They render pretty fast, but on my computer (Win 7 64 bit, 32 GB RAM) after saving the rendered image with Ultra Tree in Daz Studio,

there is a delay (up to 1 minute or two) before I can click on anything in Daz Studio again.

Post edited by Artini on

Are there any possibility, to create a less resource heavy Ultra Trees, to have them multiple in the scene?

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Love the product!  Purchased the add-on on release day. 

Requested feature(s): 

• The ability to save a preset.  i.e. I am creating a forest of spruce and rather than going through each tab, scrolling through the variety of selections, I would love to select my "flavors" and save as a preset.
    • The ability to load that preset and click a check box beside any of the final tab parameters to randomize the look.

For right now, I created 3 spruce and saved each of them as a scene subset.  I load one in and rebuild it after tweaking the settings on the final tab.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    Szark said:

I'm not quite sure what the question here is but I'll have a go at answering. For each foliage species there are usually 4 different branchlet models - each branchlet model (or twig) with have between 5 and a dozen leaves on it. Each species comes with 3 or 4 color variations. The script for creating the instances also allows you alter the density of the branchlets, their scale, add some rotation variation, and their droop.

Ok nevermind. Thanks anyway

• eheiehbruno@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 842
    edited November 2019

So, wonderful trees and I really love how they look, though I've got a couple of questions:

- Has anybody tried to use Instances to objects and then ultrascattered the resulting tree? Did it kill your computer? I don't have the script, but I am really curious about the results of such a test.

- How do you preview the leaves so that you can get a good camera angle? I guess it's something obvious, but I haven't found it yet.

- This one is for HowieFarkes: would you consider making an add-on with flowers and/or fruits? We've far too limited options for anything like this in the store and nothing that looks even remotely as nice as this product does.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,901

Uthgard: Yes, and yes.

But that's fair; every product is designed with certain goals in mind, and Ultratree is obviously designed as a highly detailed tree system that makes clever use of tech so that the tree can render much faster.

Doing large numbers of trees to fill space is... very much 'off spec'

• That's about what I expected, but thanks for confirming the uncaring nature of a fun-hating universe. I guess I will stick to using them for renders where the tree is the main character--which is yet another phrase I never thought I would write.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,901

Well, you just need to get a better machine so you can do a millions of poly tree forest with thousands of trees and HD3 orcs swarming through...

edited November 2019
    Szark said:
    Szark said:

Ok nevermind. Thanks anyway

@Szark, I have both the base Tree System and the Arboretum Vol 1 sets. In the texture folders, which includes textures for both products, I see:

• Bur Oak: 12 maps for BurOak 01, including one cutout, one normal and four translucency maps.
    • Elm: 17 maps for the Elm 01, including two cutouts, (one clean, one with a tiny bit of "damage", one normal and six translucency maps.
    • Eucalyptus: 11 maps for Euc, including one bump, one normal and four translucency maps.
    • Pin Oak 01: 11 maps for the PinOak 01, including one cutout, one normal and four translucency maps.
    • Sessile Oak: 11 maps for SessOak 01, including one cutout, one normal and three translucency maps.
    • Spruce: 8 maps for Spruce 01, including one normal map, three translucency maps and one color map for "twig" bark.
    • Willow Oak: 110 maps for WillOak 01, including one cutout, one normal and four translucency maps.
    • For bark, there are 37 maps, one map each of texture, bump and normals for 12 different bark textures, plus a single map for "deadwood".

I suspect there is a bit of a communication snafu between your question and Howie's answer. The leaves for these trees are not low-poly planes, but modeled shapes with quite a bit of shape and size variance. There are several "branchlet" props for each species, including leaves on these small branches. Each branchlet prop has four material zones, three for leaves and one for the branch bark.

I've put together several viewport draws to illustrate. This first one is a sample of each species in the Shaded Wire draw mode, so you can see how many polygons these leaves have:

Viewport Draw One Branchlet Per Species Shaded Wire Mode

These images show the branchlets of each species in the original product without textures, followed by the same view in Iray with textures. From top row to bottom row: Elm, Eucalyptus, and Spruce.

Viewport Draw Elm Branchlets No Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Elm Branchlets Iray 4 Of 5 Texture Presets, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Eucalyptus Branchlets No Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Eucalyptus Branchlets Iray 3 Of 3 Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Spruce Branchlets No Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Spruce Branchlets Iray 3 Of 3 Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

The final two images show one sample each of the four Oak trees in the first Arboretum addon. (Please note, the Bur Oak and Sessile Oak use the same base props, relying on the textures and opacity maps to give the Sessile Oak it's distinctive leaf shape.)

Viewport Draw Oak Branchlets Arboretum V1 No Textures, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

Viewport Draw Oak Branchlets Arboretum V1 Sample Of 16 Total Available Textures For 4 Species, by L'Adair

Link to full size image

I'm sorry I wasn't able to put this together for you sooner. RL has been a touch too demanding this month. (As with every November!)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Oso3D said:

Well, you just need to get a better machine so you can do a millions of poly tree forest with thousands of trees and HD3 orcs swarming through...

I believe we just learned the real reason Skynet hates humans so much.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

@L'Adair thank you for going to the trouble much appreciated. Yes that explains it perfectly.  

Szark said:

@L'Adair thank you for going to the trouble much appreciated. Yes that explains it perfectly.  

@Szark, You're welcome.
    smiley

• Uthgard said:

That's about what I expected, but thanks for confirming the uncaring nature of a fun-hating universe. I guess I will stick to using them for renders where the tree is the main character--which is yet another phrase I never thought I would write.

I might have missed something in an earlier post, but... If it's a large number of trees, that means most of them are necessarily far away from the camera, right?  So why not just make the trees you want to make lots of, render them, put them on billboards, and fill the world with trees?

• Actually, my original idea (if it had been at all feasible to do the conversion) would have been to have a few ultratrees on the foreground, a few scattered ones on the midground, and then covering the background with less detailed scatters or billboards. Still, I hadn't thought of making my own billboards with ultratrees, which could be suited to the lighting of the scene and thus avoid my major gripe with billboards, so thanks for the reminder.

• barbult said:
    SuSoleil said:

Screenshot

Originally, I tried installing with both Daz Connect and with DIM. Neither worked. I submitted a ticket and got no response. It's been a week since I submitted it. Not a peep from DAZ. Did try again tonight to reinstall. Same problem with DAZ Connect. Now, it doesn't even show up in my queue with DIM. I'm assuming that DAZ is working on it.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,250

You need to uninstall with Daz Connect. If you install with both, the nonworking Daz Connect version always gets used.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703
    edited November 2019
    Still waiting for the fix for this issue before I buy the other set of trees.
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on