Ultratree system questions

This looks incredible! But... I need more than 3 types of trees.  Any way to add different leaf types?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

There are 8 variations per type. Most wooded areas do not have a large number of species, certainly not within a given area.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2019

it's a great product, and if you need lots of types, then you must be doing something that isn't natural on our planet. :)

The different leaves do give added variance, and so too, does the bark types

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I've got it in my cart  ..  it looks like the leaves are the nomral completey flat variety.  About the only thing I'd like to see is some root tops.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I've got it in my cart  ..  it looks like the leaves are the nomral completey flat variety.  About the only thing I'd like to see is some root tops.

The leaves are fully modled, they aren't the typical roughly leaf shaped primative with a transparency map applied.

Wildlyfe said:

This looks incredible! But... I need more than 3 types of trees.  Any way to add different leaf types?

Because the system uses a script to select the components and build the trees, I don't think it's going to be poossible to add new types. You could, however, create some new materials for the existing leaves which might be able to simulate a different leaf as long as the base geometry was close enough.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2019
    JonnyRay said:

I've got it in my cart  ..  it looks like the leaves are the nomral completey flat variety.  About the only thing I'd like to see is some root tops.

The leaves are fully modled, they aren't the typical roughly leaf shaped primative with a transparency map applied.

Wildlyfe said:

Because the system uses a script to select the components and build the trees, I don't think it's going to be poossible to add new types. You could, however, create some new materials for the existing leaves which might be able to simulate a different leaf as long as the base geometry was close enough.

I'm working on a project and can't play with this just yet. However, it seems to me, the PA could create additional trees for an addon pack, (or standalone, for that matter.) But I can also see where it would take quite a bit of time to do that, and I wouldn't expect him to put in the time unless this product sells well enough to make it worth the time investment.

I would like to see a wide variety of trees become available. Around here Cedar, Pine and Douglas Fir are prevalent. I found this online, here:

Traveling across the state, you soon discover that Oregon is home to a wide range of trees. There are 30 native coniferous species and 37 native species of broadleaf trees. Oregon varies greatly in terms of elevation, temperature, wind, rainfall and soil composition. Combinations of all these factors help determine the dominant tree species of an area.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Hi all and thanks for your interest in UltraTrees.

UltraTrees has indeed been built to enable the addition of more species of tree, bark, and foliage. I am in fact working on an add-on pack featuring a number of species of oak tree rightnow. As all the photo reference material is being done by me it's kinda reliant upon what trees I can find around my city (which luckily has a very diverse planting).

And yes the leaves are modelled in 3d and are not just transmapped planes - which was the reason I created this product :)

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Hi all and thanks for your interest in UltraTrees.

UltraTrees has indeed been built to enable the addition of more species of tree, bark, and foliage. I am in fact working on an add-on pack featuring a number of species of oak tree rightnow. As all the photo reference material is being done by me it's kinda reliant upon what trees I can find around my city (which luckily has a very diverse planting).

And yes the leaves are modelled in 3d and are not just transmapped planes - which was the reason I created this product :)

Now I am even more interested in this product!!

That is great to hear! I am very excited about being able to do realistic closeups.  For me, it is the leaves that are the most important part.  I would love to see lots of  leaf types.  I am also especially insterested in tropical species. 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,317
    edited October 2019

I bought this for the pine trees alone, but the whole thing produces just amazing results!  It was easy to use and creates beautiful results.  Sign me up for PRE-Purchasing ANY and ALL add-on packs!!!

VT_Spruce_Study5_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1200 x 1920 - 458K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,097

Is this a DAZ product?

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    3WC said:

Is this a DAZ product?

It is a PA product by Howie Farkes and is sold here in the store: https://www.daz3d.com/ultratrees--realistic-tree-system

it is great in my opinion 

TD

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,328

My first thought when I saw this was: oh no, not another set of trees!  Then I saw Howie's name attached and it suddenly became a must have.  It's on my wish list for now but I hope to have it installed in my runtime within a week.

Cheers,

Alex.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,144
    Gogger said:

I bought this for the pine trees alone, but the whole thing produces just amazing results!  It was easy to use and creates beautiful results.  Sign me up for PRE-Purchasing ANY and ALL add-on packs!!!

GORGEOUS! I must admit I have a weakness for great looking trees and bought this immediately. So glad to hear there will be addon packs!! Thanks Howie! laugh

Laurie

• Greymom said:

Now I am even more interested in this product!!

Ditto!  More potential species and 3DL mats make this a must-have for me.  They look wonderful!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,888
    edited October 2019

Amazing product and the best quality of the trees for Daz Studio, so far.

Any ideas about what environment one can use with them, to match their quality?

Below, I have used a prop from some older one - https://www.daz3d.com/muelsfell-hagswood

Also, anybody knows, what settings in Daz Studio one could change, to minimize the white dots (fireflies) on the iray render in DS 4.12.1 Beta?

Beginning with DS 4.12, I got more and more problems with them, appearing on the renders.

Yuzuru838Poncho05pic02sdmi.jpg
    920 x 1200 - 481K
    Post edited by Artini on

That explains, why they look so amazing. Great work and I also wait for the expansions.

All the best for you.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

And thank you for including the 3DL mats. Not enough people still do that.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,167

I'm absolutely loving these trees! They look great and they render really quickly. Thanks for the 3Delight option too - I still use it quite a bit.

I'll add my "yes please" to the idea of further species as an add-on.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

My first thought when I saw this was: oh no, not another set of trees!  Then I saw Howie's name attached and it suddenly became a must have.  It's on my wish list for now but I hope to have it installed in my runtime within a week.

Cheers,

Alex.

Emmphasis added.

Howie has been a "must have" vendor for me since my days of trying to love Carrara and the amazing sets he created for that software.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317

I'm trying to build a tree without leaves has anyone worked out if this is possible?

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

They aren't a matt zone that can be turnned off?

JOdel said:

I can delete them once built it just would be simpler to not build them in the first place.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

That Oak Tree addon will wish into my cart immediately.

Love this.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,167
    edited October 2019
    scorpio said:
    JOdel said:

I can delete them once built it just would be simpler to not build them in the first place.

You can load the bare tree shapes as props and not run the script at all (I did it by mistake the first time I tried to use the product). They may have fewer branchlets than the script-created trees though.

ETA: They are under Props / Landscapes / Plants in Smart Content I believe.

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:
    scorpio said:
    JOdel said:

You can load the bare tree shapes as props and not run the script at all (I did it by mistake the first time I tried to use the product). They may have fewer branchlets than the script-created trees though.

ETA: They are under Props / Landscapes / Plants in Smart Content I believe.

Nice - thanks.

Using instances for the leaves/needles was kinda brilliant. :)

And, I don't think it's a big deal that you can't use it with Ultra-scatter - This is a hero tree. For anything else, transmapped planes are fine.   Heck, more than a few meters away, and you could just fill the background with billboards rendered from a few angles and variations. 

And, I don't think it's a big deal that you can't use it with Ultra-scatter - This is a hero tree. For anything else, transmapped planes are fine.   Heck, more than a few meters away, and you could just fill the background with billboards rendered from a few angles and variations. 

You can't instance them at all though which is a kind a shame.

• ValkeerieValkeerie Posts: 155

I tried several test trees last night. This is a great product, highly recommended.

scorpio said:

It is not the shame, but it is the limit of the Daz Studio itself.

The instances cannot be instanced in Daz Studio.

If you need this feature, look for some other software.

I have not tried, but probably, Unity support instancing of instances.

Artini said:
    scorpio said:

It is not the shame, but it is the limit of the Daz Studio itself.

The instances cannot be instanced in Daz Studio.

If you need this feature, look for some other software.

I have not tried, but probably, Unity support instancing of instances.

Yes it is a shame whether its a limitation of the product or the software its still a shame. Maybe I should turn to another software of course then I won't need to keep all those purchases I've made in the last 30 days.