"Ocean Delight"-shore module- water FX project

Comments

• It does look great. The best I have seen. Best by miles & miles. And has been the best by miles I have seen for several years.

Please get to the point of offering it in the store. One of the best options available at the moment is Namtar3d's freebie HDRI  (https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/82773/underwater-hdri) and while it's good, it's not this. Not as good by miles. I don't often want to throw money at people, but this is one product where I do want to. [Help, did I really say that out loud?]

Regards,

Richard.

• 3CPO3CPO Posts: 156

Thank you ! You guys really made me laugh out loud. All I can say is I will try my best to make it available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

• Thank you and like others have said, it's the best I've seen and can't wait to use it. The beach/surf/ocean situation has been one of the biggest sources of frustration because there are a lot of beach and ocean scenes I'd like to do. The examples you have shown are incredible. 

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited September 2022

Really looking forward to this! yes

After the upgrade of my PC I was able to run 4.16.  Will reinstall 4.12 for this and another file that deosn't seem to work in 4.16 but worked well in 4.12

For the adventurous, this is how I was able to run both 4.12 and 4.15 on the same PC (prior to the upgarde):  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/236436/daz-4-10-and-4-7.  I eventually uninstalled 4.15 because a corrupt Win 7 update made a lot of scripts/plugins unusable in that computer; but were able to run without any problems in 4.15 on another PC

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited June 2023

Hello again everyone.

I know it's been a while since I last posted and shared updates of my project but a lot has happened and not all of it good...

The gist of it is that about three months ago my computer suffered a catastrophic failure and I lost about four years-worth of work as well as my entire Daz Studio database and runtime… Unfortunately, I neglected to back-up my recent work mainly due to lack of space on my external hard drives and since my working storage was an NVME M.2 SSD, the data on it proved to be unrecoverable…

I will not bother you with the details of how hard I tried to recover that data or how let down and depressed I felt during the following weeks. Maybe, some of you that experienced a similar occurrence can relate… But what really matters is that this should be a hard lesson learned, for me and everyone else prone to such type of neglect.

In the end, fate proved to be less dark than I initially thought and I managed to find an old backup on my old laptop dating since 2019. This is what triggered in me the will to start anew with this project and luckily not entirely from scratch. And this time I made it in DS v4.21.05.

So, I decided to share with you some preliminary renders of this new version, of which I am quite happy with, as it turned out very close to how I imagined it all along… There are significant improvements over the previous versions but I will let you be the judge of that…

There are still quite a few things to add, such as color variance and water clarity presets but I would say the most difficult and time-consuming parts are done.

Hoping there is still some interest in this would-be product, please have a look at these new renders and let me know what you think… Underwater scenes highlighting light rays and caustics soon to follow.

Thank you for your time and comments…and don’t forget to back-up your work!

PS: Looks like attaching files no longer works so I posted the renders in my gallery here:

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5662064878026752#gallery=album5520181&page=1&image=1295298

Post edited by 3CPO on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

Still the best looking I've seen so far.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617

...I know the pain of such a crash. Had it happen to me several years ago (my Daz content library drive having crashed).  Having to rebuild everything from scratch is daunting to say the least.  I finally have a few of the core characters from my stories recreated, but even today, it still takes a fair amount to motivate me to fire up Daz to work on anything as the loss was that significant.

As to backing up, yes that was a hard lesson for myself as well. I now have a second system and an external backup partitioned for both.

Pleased that you are continuing your work on this and I'm still looking forward to the release. 

@AllenArt, Indeed, I've passed on other ocean based products waiting for this.

I have my Daz libraries and everything else I have that's important backed up in multiple places. I learned my lesson early ;) (I've had a computer since Windows 3.1)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,602

AllenArt said:

I have my Daz libraries and everything else I have that's important backed up in multiple places. I learned my lesson early ;) (I've had a computer since Windows 3.1)

Same. I learned long ago to keep things backed up. I just got a new external drive and backed up all my files last week.

Looking forward to this product if it ever gets released

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,123
    edited June 2023

3CPO, yes, we're still interested. It's awful to have a loss like that - shame the project wasn't backed up on lots of people's computers and a shop's server at the point your computer gave up the ghost... The revised model looks great. Really fantastic.

Regards,

Richard.

For backups, my new pc has a mirrored RAID data drive, two 3Tb drives identical to each other, so one or the other could fail and the other keep the data intact (hopefully!).

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,731

What an amazing turn of events. If nothing else, you have proven to the invisible that you cannot be defeated. Now, release it before they try again. There are more stores now; so, you have more choices. Keep your head up, and stay golden, like you always were, are, shall be.

• shadem980shadem980 Posts: 48

Still interested as I have been since I knew about this product idea. I am very much hoping for it to move forward!

Many thanks guys for all the kind words and encouragements. Much appreciated! Glad this still sparks an interest and I will do my best not to disappoint!

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Uggghh!
    Well... considering most of the folks in this thread have been ridining the "ocean delight" wave for abour 4 years now... whats another couple weeks/months/years?

If it didn't seem to be such a groundbreaking (or as Daz likes to say, "Jaw Dropping") improvment, it'd almost be unforgiveable... especially since storage is so cheap.  Hell, I could have sent you an 8TB hard drive gratis if you'd have said something.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/472196/pay-it-forward-daz3d-style/p1

Well... best of luck, and hopefully we truly are getting close!

edited June 2023

Chumly said:

Uggghh!
    Well... considering most of the folks in this thread have been ridining the "ocean delight" wave for abour 4 years now... whats another couple weeks/months/years?

If it didn't seem to be such a groundbreaking (or as Daz likes to say, "Jaw Dropping") improvment, it'd almost be unforgiveable... especially since storage is so cheap.  Hell, I could have sent you an 8TB hard drive gratis if you'd have said something.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/472196/pay-it-forward-daz3d-style/p1

Well... best of luck, and hopefully we truly are getting close!

Yeah, you are quite right and I thank you for the support and best wishes. I am also of the opinion that sometimes [stuff]  happens whether you are prepared or not. Yet I am happy I had the strengh to bounce back and accept the fact that maybe the universe is trying to teach me something...and it made me better and more resilient. So,moving on...

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,318

My wallet has started drooling in anticipation - I believe this is STILL the best water product I've seen so far!  Thanks for keeping us posted and so sorry to hear of your struggle. I've been there, which encouraged me to create the saying, "Better Super Safe Than Sorta Sorry!" when it comes to computer stuff.  Very much looking forward to this product regardless of where you end up selling it.  Keep at it!  You have lots of support here! 

• mark_z2487mark_z2487 Posts: 112

did you take your HD to a good computer shop? I had one fail and they were able to recover almost everything

edited June 2023

mark_z2487 said:

did you take your HD to a good computer shop? I had one fail and they were able to recover almost everything

An SSD is a totally different device compared to a "classic" HDD in terms of how data is written and retrieved from its memory. In my case, the SSD controller which manages the data was damaged, thus rendering the device unreadable and as a consequence, the data on it unrecoverable. So yes, I did try but all I achieved was spending money on a "lost cause". Indeed, SSDs are fast but when they fail, they fail catastrophically most of the time and without any warning.

Post edited by 3CPO on
  • shadem980shadem980 Posts: 48

Eh, regardless of the drive failure, I was just happy to see that the reworked version still looks great and look forward to seeing more as you are able to show.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited June 2023

Sorry to hear about the loss of your files.  Your new version of the shore module looks great, the best shore simulation I have seen yet!  Hope to see it in the store soon!

Post edited by Greymom on

Hello again everyone!

I am also pleased to report that my project is now fully compatible with the newest  DS 4.22.01, which seems to be having notable improvements in rendering speed and faster convergence times, of which I personally am quite pleased with.

Made a few noteworthy improvements in the shaders department and fine-tuned the presets so that the wave foam, for example, reacts better to the low angle sunlight (like sunrises and sunsets) thus eliminating the need to use emissive surfaces that added extra loading and rendering times.( Note: All renders use just the sunlight with no additional lights or reflectors)

Also decided to add an area of sand turbulence to the wave splash proximity which adds more realism to the shore renders but which can be turned off or not used at all, depending on the user needs.

Currently working on a sea particulates volume and testing how well and realistic they show within the water volume. If it proves to be better than adding them in post, it will be included in the final product.( I will post some renders when it is ready and tested)

In the meantime, I hope you like what you see in the renders below. Have a great weekend!

wide view.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    top view.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    Wave foam detail_0630.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    Wave foam detail_1720-sunset.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 1M
    Underwater shallows .jpg
    1920 x 817 - 2M
    Low clarity shallows.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 1M
    Underwater scene3.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 745K
    Underwater scene2.jpg
    1920 x 817 - 784K

3CPO said:

Hello again everyone!

I am also pleased to report that my project is now fully compatible with the newest  DS 4.22.01, which seems to be having notable improvements in rendering speed and faster convergence times, of which I personally am quite pleased with.

Made a few noteworthy improvements in the shaders department and fine-tuned the presets so that the wave foam, for example, reacts better to the low angle sunlight (like sunrises and sunsets) thus eliminating the need to use emissive surfaces that added extra loading and rendering times.( Note: All renders use just the sunlight with no additional lights or reflectors)

Also decided to add an area of sand turbulence to the wave splash proximity which adds more realism to the shore renders but which can be turned off or not used at all, depending on the user needs.

Currently working on a sea particulates volume and testing how well and realistic they show within the water volume. If it proves to be better than adding them in post, it will be included in the final product.( I will post some renders when it is ready and tested)

In the meantime, I hope you like what you see in the renders below. Have a great weekend!

surprise 

• Looking good!
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,577

Glad to see you posting again! The images you shared look fantastic and this definitely fills an empty spot in the shop.

- Greg

• As I have asked previously, please do get to the point of releasing it. It is still by far and away the best coastal set around (and even better than it was) and only one person has had the pleasure of using it. Regards, Richard.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,602

richardandtracy said:

As I have asked previously, please do get to the point of releasing it. It is still by far and away the best coastal set around (and even better than it was) and only one person has had the pleasure of using it. Regards, Richard.

Agreed! I really want to use that underwater setting. Looks ready to me!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,731

May I suggest a diuretic for your apparent water retention issues? Rooting for you.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,253

richardandtracy said:

As I have asked previously, please do get to the point of releasing it. It is still by far and away the best coastal set around (and even better than it was) and only one person has had the pleasure of using it. Regards, Richard.

This project has been in danger of the perfect being the enemy of the good for several years now.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,896

Decades ago, in high school, a visiting painter told us something that's stuck with me for life:

No art is done, there's just a point where you stop.

• sidsid Posts: 400

If you need anyone to beta-test, I'd be happy to help out! :D