"Ocean Delight"-shore module- water FX project

167891012»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

...good to hear about the progress.  My question, will it still work with older versions of Daz.  I am on 4.21.0,.5 as I still am on Windows 7.and this is the last version in which the Nvidia drivers support the older OS. 

• 3CPO3CPO Posts: 156

Thank you everyone for the support, the kind words and encouragements and last but not least, for your patience.

I am allocating as much time and effort as I can to bring this project to an end and finally make it a product. Believe me, no one is more anxious to see it done than I am, and move on to create something else.

Indeed, although there is another saying that goes "you cannot rush art", I also think that it reached a point to call it "ready". As you all know, realistic water is a hard thing to do in CG, especially underwater scenes, and I guess you will all understand better what I mean once you will fiddle with it. Basically this is what this project is all about- making a hard thing easy, a click and render no muss no fuss process.

To answer @kyoto kid, yes, it will work with older versions of Studio, especially with 4.21.05, all the way to version 4.12. As far as functionality goes, in order to maintain the caustics effects showing, just a single, easy modification in the shader is necessary. For versions older than the previous 4.21.05, very minor tweaks in light  and color intensity will be required to have a one to one identical renders due to the changes implemented in the Iray render engine. Tips, tricks, suggestions and explanations will be available in the attached "read me" file upon release.

Until then, all the best to all !

• Marvelous!  Marvelous!  Marvelous!  It's so funny, I was just thinking about this project the other day and was wondering how it was coming along (now if only I could get the lottery numbers).  Glad your project is moving in the right direction!

Would it be all right to ask what specs you're creating this off?  And the rendering time it took to create (above water and below)?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

Beautiful work!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

...excellent.  I'll be sticking with 4.21.0.5 for a while until I find some way to scrape up the money for a system upgrade that supports W11 (still on W7).

Nvidia dropped driver support for W7 after the version of Iray included with 4.21 and I'm noit about to go back to the "geologic" render times of CPU rendering.

• 3CPO3CPO Posts: 156

Write Idea said:

Marvelous!  Marvelous!  Marvelous!  It's so funny, I was just thinking about this project the other day and was wondering how it was coming along (now if only I could get the lottery numbers).  Glad your project is moving in the right direction!

Would it be all right to ask what specs you're creating this off?  And the rendering time it took to create (above water and below)?

Glad you like my project and thank you for the kind words. I have a fairly modest computer compared with today's higher end standards. So GPU is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super and an 8 core Intel I9 10980 HK CPU running with 32Gigs of DDR4 Ram. So nothing fancy...

For example, the wide view and top view renders I posted above, took about 20 min to render on my machine for a full HD size(1920x1080). The underwater scenes took on average about 10-15 min longer, depending on the illumination and number of characters/props in them. The longest  renders in my experience, testing various shooting/framing angles, were the ones with the camera pointing diagonally (from above water) into the clear deeper water, having to render all reflective, refractive, SSS and displacements present in the shot. For the same full HD size, some took 2 to 3 hours to render.

So it is not a super light environment as it contains some moderately dense meshes to support the displacements and mostly 4K and some 8K textures. This is the reason I made it modular and tileable so that parts that are not in the shot can be removed or hidden.  Up until now, I noticed faster render times with the new 4.22.01 version of Studio than with the previous ones. First image appears faster, converges quicker and the viewport interaction is better and smoother than before. Therefore, I encourage people to give it a try as it really is better, in the render department at least. Hope this covers your query.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,514

Impressive work!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

This is really amazing work and glad you didn't throw your hands up with the various bits of life and digital things that hit you here and there.  Looking foward to this release.  Imagine a digital beach that actually looks like it should!  WOW!  

• My [pretend] criticism of it that it's too natural, no blobs of tar, no plastic waste floating in the water. In fact, it looks utterly idylic. 

Regards,

Richard

• This really looks amazing. Can't wait for it to hit the store!

• 3CPO said:

Glad you like my project and thank you for the kind words. I have a fairly modest computer compared with today's higher end standards. So GPU is an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super and an 8 core Intel I9 10980 HK CPU running with 32Gigs of DDR4 Ram. So nothing fancy...

For example, the wide view and top view renders I posted above, took about 20 min to render on my machine for a full HD size(1920x1080). The underwater scenes took on average about 10-15 min longer, depending on the illumination and number of characters/props in them. The longest  renders in my experience, testing various shooting/framing angles, were the ones with the camera pointing diagonally (from above water) into the clear deeper water, having to render all reflective, refractive, SSS and displacements present in the shot. For the same full HD size, some took 2 to 3 hours to render.

So it is not a super light environment as it contains some moderately dense meshes to support the displacements and mostly 4K and some 8K textures. This is the reason I made it modular and tileable so that parts that are not in the shot can be removed or hidden.  Up until now, I noticed faster render times with the new 4.22.01 version of Studio than with the previous ones. First image appears faster, converges quicker and the viewport interaction is better and smoother than before. Therefore, I encourage people to give it a try as it really is better, in the render department at least. Hope this covers your query.

So the "average joe" computer should be able to handle it.  Excellent news!  Thanks for sharing your specs.  When this product comes out, it should be a real game changer.

I wish you the best of luck with the product!

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,309

Officially standing in line to buy this. Pops out lawn chair, hydration pack and empty 2 litre bottle, for, uh, you know. Have been doing a series of underwater dinosaur renders and would LOVE to get my opposable thumbs on your product!  <rustle rustle> (That's the sound of my money eagerly waiting to transfer itself over to you!)