DAZ 4.10 and 4.7

Hi,

I am checking out DAZ after quite some time.

All my paid plugins are set with 4.7.

Can I install DAZ 4.10 alongwith4.7  and will both programs work independently?

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,422

In order to have both versions simultaneously you should install the Beta version of 4.10 instead of the general build.

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203076/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-10-0-123-updated#latest

• I'm not aware of any plug-in that worked in 4.7 and won't work in 4.10 - some will even have updates.

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750

But if you update the plugins will they still work in 4.7?

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited March 2018

not quite.. with some jiggery pokery it is possible to run multiple versions of Studio on the same system.. HOWEVER, doing so can cause issues with DIM application folder settings, so its a "at your own risk" scenario

In order to have both versions simultaneously you should install the Beta version of 4.10 instead of the general build.

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203076/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-10-0-123-updated#latest

Post edited by hacsart on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,159
    edited March 2018

Before you do decide any upgrade to a new version of dazstudio you should always make a back up copy of what you have now,  you can do this with system restore by creating a restore point, or you can just make a copy of your current daz folder(which is what I do) and save it as a back up in another drive.  So with that said

I do have a way to store & use many copies of dazstudio on your system.   Im not going to guarantee this will work for you & it does take some file management. But as you can see by my screen shots I have 4 different versions of DazStudio running on 1 computer system, in one program folder. which all tye in the AppData folder as the same file system.  Doing it the way I have it set up I can load any 3 versions of dazstudio at the same time. (I have huge system resources)

This is a  quick walk through on how I set up my system to work this way. It takes a little file management to get your content directories in order.. so if you don't know anything about your computer, or how to use the daz>edit> preference> content settings.  i would not advise trying this.

But if your willing to try  it. first in c/programs/Daz 3D you'll see a folder named Daz3d in it, this is where your daz 4.7 software is sitting..  Now make a new folder & Name it daz4.7 and then right click & copy the orginal daz3d 4.7 existing folder and paste it to move everything plugins and all to this new 4.7 folder.  So now when you install a new version of daz like 4.10 it will over right your original progams/DAZ3d folder.  but your new folder with the original daz 4.7 files will remain in tact along with all your 4.7plugins.  As a note: its very helpful to make a copy of the daz4.7exe found in that 4.7 folder and make a thumbnail for the start up menu or desk top so you can load it without having to open c/programs files/daz 3d to use it everytime.

I have a screen shot to show you how I have mine set up. you will need to repoint your content directories and PostgreSQL CMS to your new 4.7 folder location in order to get rid of that content PostgreSQL CMS error  message which you can do under the edit .preference tab when you open up daz.

This works for my set up like I said, But I won't guarantee it will work for you so user beware, But if you do understand how your file management of your computer works , then you should not have any problems . that my solution for making multiable copies of daz studio working on my PC.  But then again if I must warn tell you that you do need to know your computer files & program management, so you can set up your directories and stuff.

This file management set up does indeed work as you can see , of the 3 copys of daz loaded and running at the same time on my computer with the last screen shot

like I said make a back up of what you have now no matter if you decide to upgrade or not .

Good Luck

Capture1.JPG
    1200 x 710 - 84K
    Capture2.JPG
    936 x 701 - 66K
    Capture3.JPG
    1148 x 619 - 106K
    Capture4.JPG
    1534 x 1023 - 185K
    Post edited by Ivy on