Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Hey!

Just found out today is the Anniversary of the premiere of The Twilight Zone!

First episode aired October 2nd, 1959.

Well timed challenge :)

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Well here it is.

Things that comes out in the twilight hour......

Three M4's, one Genesis, one Aiko3 and two of Predatrons creatures.
    A few of Noggins rats, and a home made slimy creature from the deep.

I'll make a better description for the final entry.

Doc1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Well here it is.

Things that comes out in the twilight hour......

Three M4's, one Genesis, one Aiko3 and two of Predatrons creatures.
    A few of Noggins rats, and a home made slimy creature from the deep.

I'll make a better description for the final entry.

Man, Varsel! That is going to be one AWESOME Twilight gig those dudes are going to have!

It might even beat the Three Carrarateers in their escapades! ;)

edited December 1969

Hey!

Just found out today is the Anniversary of the premiere of The Twilight Zone!

First episode aired October 2nd, 1959.

Well timed challenge :)

Thanks, Sock! ;)

That was just my intent! *cough*

edited December 1969

Well, now that I have let half the time slip by, I'm finally able to spend more than a few minutes thinking about my entry. HA!

So, I went back. On a whim, I pulled up "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and think I'm going to do as "realistic" a rendering of the scene near the end as I can slap together in the time remaining. No Disney version; no dark, weird version.

I'm working to make it as true as the author intended! My scene will be at the part where the headless horseman tosses a pumpkin at Ichabod Crane. In Washington Irving's words:

"Just then he heard the black steed panting and blowing close behind him; he even fancied that he felt his hot breath. Another convulsive kick in the ribs, and old Gunpowder sprang upon the bridge; he thundered over the resounding planks; he gained the opposite side; and now Ichabod cast a look behind to see if his pursuer should vanish, according to rule, in a flash of fire and brimstone. Just then he saw the goblin rising in his stirrups, and in the very act of hurling his head at him."

Anyway, spent a little time working on the headless horseman.

Headless_Horseman_D01.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 204K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Varsel, I really like the atmosphere. The woman in the window is a nice touch.

Fractal, I'm actually going to have to read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow now. I had avoided reading it because of all the different versions and takes on it. I felt it had been done to death, but after reading the quote you posted I am intrigued. I'm the same way about a Christmas Carol due to the endless variants out there.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited December 1969

some great stuff being posted.. enjoying this one with all the different interpretations being shown..

Step 8 - I added a lens flare to the door.

workflow.jpg
    800 x 2000 - 372K
    Twilight_mouse5.jpg
    800 x 574 - 382K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

"Ha ha ha!!" said the headlessss horseman to the blind thief....

I can't believe the quality of the work coming out of this one (well I can of course we are using Carrara which means we have a head start on the rest of the world) . Not just the ideas but the quality of the execution.....

Some many wonderful interpretations of the theme. I keep thinking, "ahh that one's my favourite" and them someone posts another and I think "no, that one's my favourite too.."

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I keep thinking, "ahh that one's my favourite" and them someone posts another and I think "no, that one's my favourite too.."

So, that mean you like the LAST render posted? Now I understand how it works! ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

That lens flare is brilliant! (get it, heh, heh). Seriously, that is a great looking image.

I'm back to tweaking my first entry with Paul Bunyan. The train is from the objects browser. I'll adjust the shaders and add some bells and whistles as time allows. The industrialist is the BizMan character from Daz. I've played with the shaders, and will probably play some more. The background tree stumps were modeled and replicated in Carrara. Background trees are duplications of trees that come with carrara that I made some adjustments to (primarily the ash tree).

The chain saw was modeled in the vertex modeler. I set a shading domain along the outside edge of the blade, then replicated triangles to get the chain effect. I was going to rescale everything associated with the chain saw to make it more realistic, but I think the goofy look fits the toon image better.

Still trying to decide if I should make a sled for blue the ox and a platform car for the train. The sled and the platform would hold stacks of cut tree trunks.

Bunyan_WIP_oct_3.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 201K
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Just a question: I'm working on the last character of my picture : a ghost.
    I've tried two different shaders. Which one do you find more ghostly ?

ghost3.png
    640 x 960 - 244K
    ghost2.png
    640 x 960 - 268K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

! TZ 3 - Do you like my DressShop dress

01_TZ_3.jpg
    940 x 705 - 87K
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I keep thinking, "ahh that one's my favourite" and them someone posts another and I think "no, that one's my favourite too.."

So, that mean you like the LAST render posted? Now I understand how it works! ;)

ha ha yes but of course, I have the attentipn span of a frog larva :)

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    some great stuff being posted.. enjoying this one with all the different interpretations being shown..

stezza, thanks for showing your postwork steps, really appreaciate that, love those ron's brushes.
    I think I must have spent the GP of a small country on his brushes :) well worth not eating for a week.

Ps your render is pretty magnificent

edited December 1969

Philemo said:

I think the one on the right is more ghostly - less hard edges perhaps?

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    ! TZ 3 - Do you like my DressShop dress

how does she get it over her ears though :)?

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Philemo said:

I think the one on the right is more ghostly - less hard edges perhaps?

Yes, that's it. Hard edges are the issue.
    I'll try it with softer edges (and a more grey and lighter blue)

Thank you Andrew

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited October 2013

Here is another wip this a screen capture. Most everything is in place. I added a couple of Stonemason's city ruins in the background

The kukri in her hand I modeled a couple of years back using hexagon. The one on the floor I modeled in blender just the other day. I wanted to see how fast I could do it (20 minutes or so. Also the mesh is much cleaner). The shaders on them were created in Carrara.

The room was modeled in Cararra and I rigged the mattresses in Carrara so I could bend them a little.

Still need to do quite a bit of 3d painting on the walls. I did the girl and the boy in their own scenes and then imported them into the final scene. Even though you cannot see it yet, I modified the shaders on the clothes and skins heavily using the Hybrid grunge bundle and 3d paint. I had to look at the tutorials that I created a couple of years ago to remember how to do it.

Hybrid Grunge Bundle tutorials

CarraraWip3d.png
    1456 x 876 - 553K
    Post edited by swordvisions on
    edited December 1969

That looks like it's coming together really, really nicely Swordvisions.

edited December 1969

Here is another wip this a screen capture. Most everything is in place. I added a couple of Stonemason's city ruins in the background

The kukri in her hand I modeled a couple of years back using hexagon. The one on the floor I modeled in blender just the other day. I wanted to see how fast I could do it (20 minutes or so. Also the mesh is much cleaner). The shaders on them were created in Carrara.

The room was modeled in Cararra and I rigged the mattresses in Carrara so I could bend them a little.

Still need to do quite a bit of 3d painting on the walls. I did the girl and the boy in their own scenes and then imported them into the final scene. Even though you cannot see it yet, I modified the shaders on the clothes and skins heavily using the Hybrid grunge bundle and 3d paint. I had to look at the tutorials that I created a couple of years ago to remember how to do it.

Hybrid Grunge Bundle tutorials

Wow, Swordvisions, that is REALLY good! That's going to look great!

edited December 1969

Stezza said:

I finally got some time to take a good look at these WIPs. Stezza, I really like how you're layering the render. TBH, I have yet to even try such an approach because I didn't know how to go about doing it. But, with your explanation, I think I have the basic idea down.

You should start a new thread on layered rendering. Then EP, Dart, and others who are in the know can add to it. It would be a great addition to the Carrara skill set. I'm sure there are a lot of Carrarans who have not tried that either.

I can't wait to see where you take this next!
    FD

edited October 2013

Stezza said:

I finally got some time to take a good look at these WIPs. Stezza, I really like how you're layering the render. TBH, I have yet to even try such an approach because I didn't know how to go about doing it. But, with your explanation, I think I have the basic idea down.

You should start a new thread on layered rendering. Then EP, Dart, and others who are in the know can add to it. It would be a great addition to the Carrara skill set. I'm sure there are a lot of Carrarans who have not tried that either.

I can't wait to see where you take this next!
    FD

When I build a scene that's going to be layered, I build my complete scene (which is usually complex) and then look at it with an eye to how many layers I think I'll need and what elements I think will be in a particular layer. Then I save multiple iterations of the scene, with names such as, complex scene layer 1.car, complex scene layer 2.car, complex scene layer 3.car, etc. Then I go into those scenes and leave the lighting and cameras alone, but delete the elements that are not supposed to be in the layer. I then go into the Render room and enable the alpha channel option. I don't use the pre-multiplied option, but that's just my personal preference. Your mileage may vary. ;-) I should note that the bottom or background layer doesn't use an alpha channel.

I usually really use the above method on animations, as for still images it's easier for me personally, just to use the multi-pass elements. The exception being my entry for this thread, where I needed a magnified background to appear in the broken glass. I did still use a depth pass to generate the mask for the glasses.

This video was three layers, with the background star field not using the alpha channel.
    http://youtu.be/79fyKOSUTsg

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Well, they say these challenges are about learning, right?

I seem to have learned that it's best I leave the Character Creation to other people...

guy.png
    1200 x 900 - 1M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Very cool! All of you!
    I began playing around with an Idea I had, thinking along the lines of a Twilight Zone sort of thing.
    No post has yet been applied - and the Yosemite HDRI was only used as a lighting test, because I didn't have time yet to play around with modeling in the scenery parts. I also have a really bizarre fire setting going on that will be changing immensely as the scene nears completion. The first image shows the use of Fenric's Tree Duplicate function to make full copies of the M5 figure. It will do this for anything you have in the selected group to duplicate:

TZYF1a.png
    1280 x 1280 - 3M
    TZYF1aa.png
    1676 x 883 - 787K
    edited October 2013

I seem to have learned that it's best I leave the Character Creation to other people...

I love this one... :)

I get a hint of chicken lips from the image.. you're not related are you?

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited October 2013

Stezza said:

I love this one... :)

I get a hint of chicken lips from the image.. you're not related are you?

No relation, but we used to square off in the old Render Remix Thread when I was in the members area.

That's a concept that may do well out here. A Carraremix type thread.

Those were fun ways to improve on postwork!

For anyone not familiar, the thread starts with a render, usually some environment, and people just kept adding to it for a month - but not just adding to it, but cutting bits out and using them in new images, and taking bits from other people's entries and adding to them (or modifying their image like the first ones), or whatever.

It got rather silly after a while...

Oh yeah, thanks! Glad you liked it.

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

Very cool! All of you!
    I began playing around with an Idea I had, thinking along the lines of a Twilight Zone sort of thing.
    No post has yet been applied - and the Yosemite HDRI was only used as a lighting test, because I didn't have time yet to play around with modeling in the scenery parts. I also have a really bizarre fire setting going on that will be changing immensely as the scene nears completion. The first image shows the use of Fenric's Tree Duplicate function to make full copies of the M5 figure. It will do this for anything you have in the selected group to duplicate:

That eerie type pose is similar to what I was doing to poor old V3 in another test I ran (Yes, I still have no idea where this is going).

noj3.png
    1600 x 1200 - 511K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

That is really cool! Yeah, it looks like a similar effect. Love the mesh weave shader you have going on.

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

I decided I needed another Carrara made object

I made a bucket of questionable meat

I took a pre-made bucket and created a rat tail using the cone primitive and then rigged it and added a shader. I added a few spheres and then created a cloth and used soft-body physics to drape it.

I created it in another scene and then brought it into my complete scene

wipcrop.png
    540 x 438 - 286K
    edited December 1969

That is a creepy image swordvisions.. the teddy bear creeps me out a lot more than the bucket of questionable meat...

I have put another one together using the stork from the objects folder, primitives, several lights, carrara hair and a brain from ShareCG

Don't know which ones to enter... hope no more silly ideas pop into my head!

BrainZone.jpg
    450 x 800 - 188K