Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I haven't done much with Carrara in several months but I thought I might take on this challenge. The Building ruins need serious work. I may take it into blender and sculpt it and then create a normal map or I may just start over on the building. I have been using Blender for modeling the past couple of years so modeling in Carrara was very slow, I found I couldn't remember how to do things. In the screen shot you can see the texture domains that I have set up.

I started adding Carrara textures to the piece but I am a long way from being happy with them. I will add my hero later. I plan to use a distribution map on a replicator to add debris to the room. I only hope that I have time to finish it. Too much real life right now

Can't wait to see where this is headed!

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

My concept idea went in a different direction. (I might return to my first....)
    Things that comes out in the twilight :
    Monsters
    Trolls
    Musicians.....

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 486K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Musicians - LoL!

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    My concept idea went in a different direction. (I might return to my first....)
    Things that comes out in the twilight :
    Monsters
    Trolls
    Musicians.....

You should add "Carrarans" in that list. You could model yourself modeling yourself in the render.....

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

I will have to document me in connection with this named series “Twilight” because I see many interpretations of this subject!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Instead of the Twilight Zone television series, my image is based on another TV show, an animated one involving strange happenings in a small backwoods town. Obviously, I'll be doing it "toon" style.

I'm not sure if I'll finish in time for entry though. The farther along I get, the more I see that needs to be done.

I started with a hand drawn greyscale image to use as a displacement shader, then exported the displaced object as an obj file and re-imported it so I could further modify the geometry.

I numbered the WIP images below just in case they don't post to the forum in the correct order.

Still lots of work to do.

bigfootprints-WIP3.png
    600 x 450 - 483K
    bigfootprints-WIP2.png
    600 x 450 - 578K
    bigfootprints-WIP1.png
    600 x 450 - 608K
    Footses-WIP.png
    600 x 600 - 30K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Instead of the Twilight Zone television series, my image is based on another TV show, an animated one involving strange happenings in a small backwoods town. Obviously, I'll be doing it "toon" style.

I'm not sure if I'll finish in time for entry though. The farther along I get, the more I see that needs to be done.

I started with a hand drawn greyscale image to use as a displacement shader, then exported the displaced object as an obj file and re-imported it so I could further modify the geometry.

I numbered the WIP images below just in case they don't post to the forum in the correct order.

good one :-)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    good one :-)

Thanks! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

I think I have a setup here....

The building is made with ArchiTools. I'm really enjoying using this plugin.
    The manhole and not so slimy (yet) monster is all made in the vertex-modeller

Doc4.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 318K
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

Nice job.

The gap between the toes and foot makes it look distinctly like my avatar was there. That, and the foot embedded in the foot thing... :P

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

What happened to the Musicians?

They made it scarier.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited September 2013

Varsel said:

beautiful glow and I like how you only see part of the creature, what terrors await us denizens of the deep ..... pity about the drummer, he's obviously been dragged into the manhole and et up

this my second whip and variation there in

Doc5.jpg
    1422 x 1671 - 229K
    Doc2a.jpg
    1422 x 1481 - 214K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Oh don't worry. The musicians will return.
    They are just being busy with some .... and ...... and rock'n roll.

There are tons of work yet on this before it's ready.
    At the moment it's to clean. A shame to call itself a backyard.

edited December 1969

de3an said:

Really nice. It kind of reminds me of Mad Magazine's classic King Kong parody.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:

If it were my yard there' would be duck and goose excrement everywhere!

Can't wait to see this one done as well. The musicians are a nice touch, so I can't wait for their return. You just need to come up with a shitty looking van for their gear.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Varsel said:

beautiful glow and I like how you only see part of the creature, what terrors await us denizens of the deep ..... pity about the drummer, he's obviously been dragged into the manhole and et up

this my second whip and variation there in

I kind of like the Creature one better.

edited December 1969

Some small adjustments..... still a lot to add.

I'm having a debate with myself about the neon sign..... to obvious :red:

Gotta have some more monsters.
    The door needs some work.
    Some litter and waste.

And then cue the musicians.

Doc4.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 300K
  • swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Okay, here is another WIP. I decided to remodel my building and I rigged the mattress from West Park Legacy, so I could bend it a little. I needed a little help because it a has been so long since I rigged anything in Cararra. Still working on the building's textures and the lighting.

WIp3.png
    650 x 406 - 318K
    edited December 1969

some scary work swordvisions! I would never hgave thought of rigging a matress!

Varesl, the woman in the window is a nice touch. I don't mind the sign, maybe have it broken or similar?

evil yes I prefer the creature render too, thanks for the input :)

edited December 1969

More nice WIPs! I really like the ideas being posted by everyone.

I unfortunately am still fumbling with trying to come up with a reasonable idea. =/

edited December 1969

I unfortunately am still fumbling with trying to come up with a reasonable idea. =/

oh just do an unreasonable idea like me :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited December 1969

playing around with the second image..

Basically about why did the mouse run up the clock..

All objects used are in the object folder except for the door which is just made up of primitives, the mouse is the new Genesis mouse... weird one this one :blank:

Twilight_mouse_sketch.jpg
    800 x 600 - 297K
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    playing around with the second image..

Basically about why did the mouse run up the clock.

So, after 200 years, you're going to finally answer the question!! I can hardly wait!! ;)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

oh just do an unreasonable idea like me :)

Thanks, Andrew, for the suggestion. But I reserve being unreasonable for the other 90% of my life. ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

Paul Bunyan and Babe the Ox compete against an industrialist with a chainsaw and a train. I'm still just gathering assets, but an approach is forming in my mind.

bunyan_wip.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 228K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Paul Bunyan and Babe the Ox compete against an industrialist with a chainsaw and a train. I'm still just gathering assets, but an approach is forming in my mind.

wonderful concept :) the image elements are superb

here's a primoval experiment no post work except sig

primoval.jpg
    1422 x 983 - 205K
    edited December 1969

I think I've seen every kind of creative process going on in this thread! I don't know if others are seeing this, but it is exquisite to observe. I've seen convergence/divergence thinking, conceptual blending, spontaneous thoughts, and pre-inventive structures (spontaneous thoughts). All forming and moving towards solidification. What a fantastic thing to observe.

Excellent work and wonderful ideas!

I do hope that others besides just those crystallizing concepts and thoughts into meaningful ideas are paying attention!

• GrimmvaldGrimmvald Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

Rather than illustrate a particular episode of TZ, I wanted to try and capture a bit of the irony that was typical of many of the best ones. Also .... I thought I'd try to do something of a tribute to Serling. This is my "proof of concept" render/ composite. The photo of Serling is in the public domain.

A lot of detail work to do yet ... and so far I don't have enough modified items.

Very fun to see the diversity of ideas and artistry on this topic.

sample_render_1_composite.jpg
    700 x 525 - 173K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Headwax, that's actually, honestly spooky to me - very rare to achieve in a render. Very cool!