Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Headwax, that's actually, honestly spooky to me - very rare to achieve in a render. Very cool!

thanks Jonstark, evil kids scare me too :)

Primivol is interesting cause it lets you fill up a mesh with fog etc, so that is a K4 filled with fog, I should really read the instructions as I have no idea what all the parameters do! I made an animation of a walking k4 filled with fog a while ago (made the kid invisible at first) - was pretty weird - not like me at all :) cheers!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

! TZ 2

01_TZ_2.jpg
    940 x 705 - 113K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,807
    edited December 1969

three renders that will become one... hopefully

I will composite them in PE11 with the help of Ron's brushes

Bigh.. is that a mutant pigeon?..... :)

3renders.jpg
    800 x 600 - 172K
  • FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you haven't done so already, don't forget to zip on over to PhilW's (this month's challenge sponsor) store (@ http://www.daz3d.com/philw) and take a look at what he has available! You seriously don’t want to leave your Assemble Room without a few of these gems!

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Its a start !

V4_1.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 562K
  • ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

A little more work. 4 Homemade Carrara objects so far.

ncamp

Anime_3-4.png
    1000 x 750 - 756K
    edited December 1969

Okay here's my thought process.

Title: The Anime Zone

When I saw that the theme was the twilight zone, I decided to go with a play on words and the first thing that came to my mind was The Anime zone.

I decided to go with three schoolgirls and one very confused spaceman. The first is carrying a sword that is way, way too big for her to even pick up. The sword is modeled in Carrara and shaded with Carrara shaders. I figured she needed to be a stony faced a person with hidden whimsical side so put the rabbit ears on her head. The ears are modeled in Carrara and the fur shader is two hair shaders, one for the inside and one for the outside. The character is Hitomi for Genesis with Hitomi’s dress, hair and shoes.

The second Genesis figure is a magical schoolgirl, with School Girl Uniform for Aiko 4 by DAZ 3D outfit. She can fly and shoot purple lines out of her hands. The purple lines are modified cone object with lines that are wire shaders in Carrara. She's taken aback by the wormhole spitting out a man, and is pulling back her purple rays.

The third Genesis character is 3D Universe’s Kimberly wearing Hapanese School Uniform by DAZ 3D and Oskarsson outfit. Her blue hair is Carrara hair. She drives the mech and is giving her signature pose. The Mech is Stonemason’s MECH2012.

The wormhole itself is a cone object model in the modeling room with the wire shapes

With the exception of the light that is inside the wormhole, the rest of the scene lighting is done with a homemade light dome. The dome is UV Mapped and has a texture that controls the surface replicated spotlights that generate consistent lighting around the scene.

The spaceman is M4 wearing Space Suit For M4 by Simon-3D.

The Lunar Landscape is Moonscapes by DAZ 3D and petipet. The shaders needed to be modified so the rocks did not look so shiny.

The stars are Starry Sky for Carrara by Dartanbeck.

Post work done in Photoshop CS6.5 extended. Added text and title.

ncamp

Anime_Zone_First_Post.png
    1000 x 750 - 3M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited December 1969

@ncamp

Okay here’s my thought process.

When I saw that the theme was the twilight zone, I decided to go with a play on words and the first thing that came to my mind was The Anime zone.

I decided to go with three schoolgirls and one very confused spaceman.

LOL! Very creative. I love it. If you are still open to new scene elements, what about one of those blob-like anime pets?

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Ummmmm...

It's a grid. Add thickness, subdivide twice, add shader domain, and apply displacement.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

wip.jpg
    1600 x 555 - 383K
    edited December 1969

...I have no idea what I'm doing.

Really.

noi.png
    1024 x 768 - 1M
    edited December 1969

That's one happy looking cow

edited December 1969

ncamp said:

Wouldn't you be happy to see that while out on your evening stroll?

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:

I thought it was a hippo ;)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    @ncamp

LOL! Very creative. I love it. If you are still open to new scene elements, what about one of those blob-like anime pets?

How about Ebbi. Created and rigged.

ebbi_3.png
    640 x 480 - 34K
    ebbi_2.png
    640 x 480 - 33K
    ebbi_1.png
    640 x 480 - 33K
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    diomede64 said:
    @ncamp

How about Ebbi. Created and rigged.

Ebbi is perfect. There will be no doubt the astronaut is in the anime zone. Well done!

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

A very inspiring challenge...
    Very challenging when I see all the WIPs and very inspiring.

A quick preview 'en passant' :-)

The ET and the Zombie are M5 modified in the vertex room.
    The werewolf is Furrette also modified.

I still have a ghost to create and place behind the sofa on the right side.

After that, I have to refine all the creatures (maybe not a must for the current picture, but I would like to bring them to a good level, as a self teaching project) and generally polish everything (poses, textures, light).

Scene4.png
    2000 x 937 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Philemo, great scene. This month is looking great.

I've rethought my second entry. I finally found a way to work with my favorite episode, to serve man. Here is a WIP. I might have big headed aliens with shopping carts in the parking lot of the store, and humans that are dressed like people who are likely to eat healthy food coming down the ramp. That might be too busy, so I'm open to suggestions.

There will definitely be at least one big headed alien - morphs to a Daz figure most likely.
    The space ship and store are vertex models.
    The vehicle is the sleigh from the content browser. It is just a place holder.

to_serve_man_test_1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

On page 10 I had the setup for the picture..
    I am now in the process of "propping" up and populating the backyard.

Here are some of the things that I have modeled with the vertex modeler for this picture.

monster.jpg
    1000 x 891 - 536K
    lights.jpg
    898 x 1000 - 345K
    Bottles2.jpg
    927 x 1000 - 361K
    Bottles.jpg
    800 x 600 - 115K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Okay here's my thought process.

I decided to go with three schoolgirls and one very confused spaceman. The first is carrying a sword that is way, way too big for her to even pick up. The sword is modeled in Carrara and shaded with Carrara shaders. I figured she needed to be a stony faced a person with hidden whimsical side so put the rabbit ears on her head. The ears are modeled in Carrara and the fur shader is two hair shaders, one for the inside and one for the outside. The character is Hitomi for Genesis with Hitomi’s dress, hair and shoes.

The second Genesis figure is a magical schoolgirl, with School Girl Uniform for Aiko 4 by DAZ 3D outfit. She can fly and shoot purple lines out of her hands. The purple lines are modified cone object with lines that are wire shaders in Carrara. She's taken aback by the wormhole spitting out a man, and is pulling back her purple rays.

The third Genesis character is 3D Universe’s Kimberly wearing Hapanese School Uniform by DAZ 3D and Oskarsson outfit. Her blue hair is Carrara hair. She drives the mech and is giving her signature pose. The Mech is Stonemason’s MECH2012.

The wormhole itself is a cone object model in the modeling room with the wire shapes

With the exception of the light that is inside the wormhole, the rest of the scene lighting is done with a homemade light dome. The dome is UV Mapped and has a texture that controls the surface replicated spotlights that generate consistent lighting around the scene.

The spaceman is M4 wearing Space Suit For M4 by Simon-3D.

The Lunar Landscape is Moonscapes by DAZ 3D and petipet. The shaders needed to be modified so the rocks did not look so shiny.

The stars are Starry Sky for Carrara by Dartanbeck.

Post work done in Photoshop CS6.5 extended. Added text and title.

ncamp

I love the thought process behind this. Thanks for sharing it! I also love the character you've given the girls and astronaut, but I'm not fond of the layout because all the cool work you've done to give the characters personality is lost because they are so tiny in the set.

If it were me, I would find a way to move the figures together, move the camera in and force the perspective a bit to still get the vortex in the shot.

edited December 1969

I love the thought process behind this. Thanks for sharing it! I also love the character you've given the girls and astronaut, but I'm not fond of the layout because all the cool work you've done to give the characters personality is lost because they are so tiny in the set.

If it were me, I would find a way to move the figures together, move the camera in and force the perspective a bit to still get the vortex in the shot.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking along those lines myself.

ncamp

edited December 1969

How about this?

Anime6-1.png
    1500 x 1125 - 2M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Much easier to see the action! Great sense of humor!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Such a variety of great ideas and good renders - this will be really challenging :)

Changed my mind after reading Stephen king's short story "The Letter" - wow, does that guy have an imagination!

It seems there's a weak spot in our understanding which allows all manner of evil demons to cross over from the Otherworlds and wreak havoc. Fortunately this weak spot is protected by some strange rocks with human-like faces...but one of them is losing his power and fading away.

Will Ben from Poser find a way to save the world, or will we all end up in the dwang? Vicky is his spiritual guide in his quest .

Stuff I modeled in Carrara - V4's dress, the rocks - 8 in all. Painted the Heardbeast, replicated the Mil Dragon by exporting as .obj, importing tiny and duplicating. Own shader on smoke.

Ben and V4 as is out of the box, V4 wearing Amarseda hair.

Wip1.png
    640 x 480 - 353K
    edited October 2013

Here are WIPs for my alien food store and my big headed alien who wants to "serve man." Ouch, I really need to brush up on my dynamic hair. This may be the worst goatee of all time.

Fortunately, there is enough time to watch this Cripeman hair tutorial about twenty more times.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mBeuuGfZbw

Much of the underlying building model is invisible, with replicated alien building materials (various primitives with funky gradients as shaders) on the surface to try to make the store look inhuman.

The alien is M4 with the base mesh modified.

to_serve_man_wip.jpg
    640 x 480 - 44K
    hair_for_alien_terrible.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

So, almost all of the props are gathered for my second entry - "to serve man". For the most part, I will be adjusting lighting, camera angles, and shaders -and of course, the scraggly facial hair for the alien.

The figures coming down the ramp are V4 in the February dress, and the P5 Don casual male. The alien in the parking lot is M4, morphed in the vertex modeling room. Everything else modeled in Carrara.

Suggestions welcome. For example, I might change the sign to refer to a butcher's shop, or I could have cattle pens from the space ship ramp to the back of the shop.

alien_wip_v4_and_don.jpg
    640 x 480 - 48K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ...or I could have cattle pens from the space ship ramp to the back of the shop.

Millennium Cattle Pens?

Oh, by the way, I still have no idea what I'm doing...

noi2.png
    768 x 1024 - 1M
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    ...or I could have cattle pens from the space ship ramp to the back of the shop.

Millennium Cattle Pens?

is that 999 or 10999

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    diomede64 said:

Millennium Cattle Pens?

is that 999 or 10999

Probably.

Either that, or Possibly.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Millennium Cattle Pens?

Hmmm, rhino cow - maybe the sign could be this?

Eat_more_human.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    diomede64 said:

Millennium Cattle Pens?

Hmmm, rhino cow - maybe the sign could be this?

I've made that same joke!

But I used "Sick Filet" as the brand name.