Carrara Challenge #4: The Twilight Zone - Work In Progress (WIP) thread

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

It is my honour to be confused with Tim Payne!

edited December 1969

Yes, I vaguely remember the mask solution too, that would work. My solution is to have a scene with all the elements in it, and simply delete half the figures, render, reload the scene, delete the other half of the figures and render again. Just be sure not to save the edited scene! Thinking about it, the mask solution may be slightly more fiddly to set up but it should render the masked area very fast - and you are not in danger of saving a "half-scene". The downside is that all of the polys, textures etc are still in the scene and so I'm not sure that you would save that much on system resources if you are doing this because your system is struggling in the first place.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    It is my honour to be confused with Tim Payne!

maybe it goes the other way as well :)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    PhilW said:
    I don't think it was me!

oh you mean I've been nice to you all this time and it wasn't you? Hoeey !! :)

I'll check unless the bushfires get here first, bloody fires every where where I live, wind has just changed, not for the good I think...

lucky we all have flannelette shirts in oz.

edit sorry PhilW it was Tim Payne I am thinking. All good blokes look the same to me :)
    Nope. I remember that article. It was... (wait for it...)
    NASSOS! Remember him? Where is our movie director these days?

• FractalDimensiaFractalDimensia Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:

Even before I read your description, I thought the first image looked very 50's. Great job! Would you say a little more what you did to create the saturation effect? Was it in Carrara or post work?

It's post work.
    I've used the retinex effect in Gimp.
    These are the settings :

Thanks, Phil! I'll check that out. I was looking for such an effect last week.

edited December 1969

FYI - According to my feeble math calculations, we now have slightly more than TWO DAYS before the final competition thread opens.

I hope everyone is putting the final touches on their awesome works!

I for one can't wait to see what the final products look like!

edited October 2013

FYI - According to my feeble math calculations, we now have slightly more than TWO DAYS before the final competition thread opens.

I hope everyone is putting the final touches on their awesome works!

I for one can't wait to see what the final products look like!

oh me I am polishing my sproggets and tightening the heabies :)

dart than is issue 3 page 86 http://issuu.com/c3de/docs/c3de-issue-03 apologies Tim Payne

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,248
    edited December 1969

Very cool! NASSOS had one too, when they interviewed him for his movie - but it wasn't so in-depth if I recall.
    Thanks for this. I have the whole collection on one of my computers. I have to sit back and read them all. They are such excellent magazines. And they're all about Carrara! My favorite subject!
    This one even has an article by Holly - Rusty Textures! Bravo!

Oh... and Sorry to Tim Payne. In my defense, NASSOS demonstrates the use of Masks in his article, too! ;)

edited December 1969

well I hadn't seen the one buy Nasssos good call :)

Here's a trick I learnt recently.... keep it to yourself..... if I only have to fix a tiny part of my render

then

in the assembly room I do a spot render of that area, hit ctrl/print screen to put the whole screen in my clipboard, then paste it into my image in PS elements

then erase unwanted bits and, presto, I have the bandaid - just modify size to suit - saves a lot of time,,,,

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Here's a trick I learnt recently.... keep it to yourself..... if I only have to fix a tiny part of my render

then

in the assembly room I do a spot render of that area, hit ctrl/print screen to put the whole screen in my clipboard, then paste it into my image in PS elements

then erase unwanted bits and, presto, I have the bandaid - just modify size to suit - saves a lot of time,,,,

You will probably have to scale as well to match the dimensions of your final render.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Isn't it time for the render thread?

edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Isn't it time for the render thread?

It was to be midnight tonight, but I will create the thread momentarily! ...

edited December 1969

something I have been working on, it combines most of my renders already posted and then some

post1a4.jpg
    2000 x 1141 - 315K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    something I have been working on, it combines most of my renders already posted and then some

its in some zone some where for sure :ohh:

edited December 1969

ah yes, don't ask me which one though :)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    head wax said:

then

You will probably have to scale as well to match the dimensions of your final render.

good point ;)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

!TZ - looking for "Somebody to Love"

01_white.jpg
    1029 x 694 - 546K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

I don't know, bigh, but I think he's got the "deer in the headlights" look! ;)

Very nice idea and render. I hope you post this to the competition! :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Somehow, I think there's a story behind this scene? I'd like to know how this all came together!

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Love the narrative element BIgh :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

Somehow, I think there's a story behind this scene? I'd like to know how this all came together!

ah well let's see, hmmm, you know the emperor's new clothes, well it's a bit like that, you make the image and then guess the story, well , to be honest in a narrative tense and in a narrative sense it's all bout working on three different levels, The top level , the middle level, and, err the bottom level, while at the same using a lot of commas, allowing us to subtly subdivide the image narrative persona into two different subplots :)

Well seriously.
    I rendered about five different shots. I made my painting as a backdrop image,
    and added a sky and the clouds appeared over the background image
    then renderd that with the kid on the right and his phantom forms made with, of course, Primovol (hope he sells a lot of that after this challenge) amazing stuff. That's the second image.

Then I dropped a vertical plane in and set it to high reflectance but with some alpha and that reflected the background and the sky clouds, but also gave me a shadow behind the kid when I did a render. Then I removed the kids head and gave it a skull, (see image three) and erased part of the kids head in photoshop to let it show through. The red head kid is a custome morph and also a custom texture I painted with lots of freckles etc, the shirt he is wearing has been textured with a skull and cross bones render I did, I retextured his jeans. The lighting coming down on the main character was done in post. I rendered him out separately as a mask so I could paint in the glow around him and not have it block his face etc. But if you look closely his neck is missing. :) because when I turned the visibility back on (using Fenric's marvellous plugin I can' tell you handy that Fenric bloke is!) I forgot to turn on the neck.

I did some postwork with a great PShop plugin called Virtual Photographer, highly recommend it

Doc4crowipp.jpg
    1911 x 1465 - 267K
    wip1.jpg
    2000 x 1141 - 397K
    crop2.jpg
    1905 x 1750 - 383K
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

This is the light rig I created to illuminate my character.
    It is a series of (replicated ) spots arranged in a circle 9 ( obviously ) with gels.

Doc5.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
    edited December 1969

There are some AMAZING entries so far!!

BRAVO!!!

MORE! MORE!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823
    edited December 1969

here are a couple that I didn't go on with... just had a mental block on how to proceed with them.. lol ..I don't think I was in the zone ;-)

Twilight_dodo.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K
    engine_eater.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 74K
    edited October 2013

Stezza said:
    here are a couple that I didn't go on with... just had a mental block on how to proceed with them.. lol ..I don't think I was in the zone ;-)

Darn! I really like "The Engine Eater" You should submit it as is!

OOPPSS! Nevermind. I see you already posted two! =D

Post edited by FractalDimensia on
    edited December 1969

Stezz, fantastic both!! Ahh spoilt for choice :) Maybe you can lend them to me and I'll pretend I did them!

edited October 2013

Here's my second/third? WIP for this image: "Invasion of The Body Snatchers"
    The kid is a custom morph, the vest is textured with one of my renders, the jeans are retextured, the ghost things are Primovol, the heads and legs are the k4 kid exported with morphs then reimported and cut into bits, the plane on the left reflects the protagonist but also has an alpha paremter to show the wall behind it. I did the stars in Post with Spacescape, a handy free program. The post work was done in PD elements and used a VirtualPhotographer plug in to warm it up. Spacescape can be found here: http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape.

The second image is the raw render.
    Thanks FD for doing such a great job as host!! and PHILW for his generosity and kindness and input!

best1wip.jpg
    1422 x 983 - 758K
    Finnie1.jpg
    1422 x 983 - 720K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

This is the final render for my submission (the one without post work, straight from Carrara).

Scene22.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • MicioDueMicioDue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You still have about 13 days before submissions close! I extended the time of this round of competitions so they'd end around Halloween. ;-)

I hope you can get something in. The more participants, the more fun the challenge!

Here I am, just few days before the deadline. :)

Scene setting is an old house, West Park Day Room is good. Darkness, two children (Genesis Basic Childs) playing with flashlights. A scaring shadow, a child is afraid but not of the shadow...

Here's the first WIP. To be compliant I need three objects created in Carrara, so far I have only the flashlight: I need to model a mysterious creature and one more object. Simple wardrobe for both children, no need for complex clothing in the dark but I will apply something better than white clothing. Other improvements to come.

The title? "A game of shadows" seems good.

A simple concept, just for fun. :)

Gioco_di_Ombre_00.png
    1280 x 720 - 885K
    edited December 1969

MicioDue said:

You still have about 13 days before submissions close! I extended the time of this round of competitions so they'd end around Halloween. ;-)

I hope you can get something in. The more participants, the more fun the challenge!

Here I am, just few days before the deadline. :)

Scene setting is an old house, West Park Day Room is good. Darkness, two children (Genesis Basic Childs) playing with flashlights. A scaring shadow, a child is afraid but not of the shadow...

Here's the first WIP. To be compliant I need three objects created in Carrara, so far I have only the flashlight: I need to model a mysterious creature and one more object. Simple wardrobe for both children, no need for complex clothing in the dark but I will apply something better than white clothing. Other improvements to come.

The title? "A game of shadows" seems good.

A simple concept, just for fun. :)

Nice job, MicioDue!! Love it and the title! LOL. Much like life, huh?